AnthonyTankHD

what resolution do you play doom on

80x25 in terminal mode

800x600 regularly

1280x1024 accelerated

Seems i finally can get my hands on a decent machine so i can go 1920x1200

3 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

1366x768 full screen

But usually 800x600, or 640x480 windowed.

320x200 or 640x400 in Dosbox.

That's exactly how I do it.

@AnthonyTankHD : You can rent a cinema and connect whatever you want to the big screen (At leasst in  my region of the world).
It's quite common for teenager's birthday parties.

Btw, my english teacher told me: "Respect the punctuation!"

Edited by DoomGater

Basically what I'm getting from this is that my badass new monitor is only less badass than anthonytankhd's and remilia scarlet's bigass 4k tv

To answer the question I have a 2560x1440 monitor

8 hours ago, Wavy said:

160x100 obviously

Screenshot_Doom_20210720_094543.png.a2f141b2d18cf11f85bf6e6ba2653fed.png

The fact that you can do this in LZDoom is insane

Reveal hidden contents

On a serious note, I play at my native resolution of 1920x1080 on GZDoom and Eternity.

Omg, how do you live with that?

I used to rock 640x480 resolution in fullscreen with letterboxing on a laptop with 1366x768 display and it was fine unless I used a mod that relied on different resolution*. Nowadays (on a much better machine and bigger monitor) it's either 1920x1080 fullscreen for GZDoom stuff or 800x600 window for PRBoom+.

Spoiler

*Examples: Some of the levels in Archie require some camera trickery that only works at certain resolutions; The Inquisitor 3's HUD gets unreadable at small resolutions.

39 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

Simple: I don't

59 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

Young kids these days don't know what they have, why back in my day unless you had one of those expensive newfangled 486s 160x100 resolution was the only way to go above 15fps

2560x1440 window on my 4K display, usually PrBoom+ 2.6um or Odamex (Love the 32Bit renderer)/Zdaemon

11 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I didn't know LZ could go that low, that's crazy.

That's why i removed it but at some point it worked. xD

So my PrBoom+, which is what I use to play 99% of what I play, is set to 800x480. The ZDoom variants I tend to leave at my monitor's resolution, which is 1920x1080. Although in part because a few of the wads that I play sometimes cause it to lag a bit, I currently have the scaling set to 0.50, which means it actually renders at 960x540. I sometimes lower it to 0.25 too.

While having a PC that allows me to run it smoothly at high resolution would be nice, I would still choose to run at a relatively low one, because I very much prefer the low resolution look.

17 hours ago, Wavy said:

160x100 obviously

Screenshot_Doom_20210720_094543.png.a2f141b2d18cf11f85bf6e6ba2653fed.png

The fact that you can do this in LZDoom is insane

Reveal hidden contents

On a serious note, I play at my native resolution of 1920x1080 on GZDoom and Eternity.

LOL, didn't know that LZDoom supported that resolution. FastDoom goes even lower, the new release can go as low as 40x25 with 16 colors 😂.

I usually play at 80x200 on my 386, and 320x200 for everything else. If a mod requires mouse and vertical aim, I usually play at the maximum resolution the monitor can provide.

320x200 and 640x480 for almost all the ports I use, and 1336x768 for dsda-doom and the UMAPINFO fork with shaders as lightmode.

Edited by Lol 6

3 hours ago, viti95 said:

LOL, didn't know that LZDoom supported that resolution. FastDoom goes even lower, the new release can go as low as 40x25 with 16 colors 😂.

I usually play at 80x200 on my 386, and 320x200 for everything else. If a mod requires mouse and vertical aim, I usually play at the maximum resolution the monitor can provide.

If I shrunk the screen size lower in LZDoom, i could probably get it to the same size as the lowest in FastDoom =P

On a PC it's usually 1440p but when i find a great vanilla WAD i fire up my Raspberry Pi hooked up to a 29" Sony Trinitron CRT TV via proper analog RGB and enjoy vanilla goodness in a crisp 320x200, which fits perfectly on an SD TV screen. Nothing beats true scanlines produced by a high quality RGB video signal <3

3840x1600, ultrawide in 24:10 flavor. Added bonus, 144hz for butter smooth motion.

Oh wow I tried creating a similar topic a while back and people gave precisely 0 shits, so this thread is a blessing. Anyway, given the choice I'll gravitate towards 640x400 in widescreen, since I think Doom looks best when it's chunky.

As only Crispy and Doom Retro support this afaik, I'll run 856x480 in PrBoom+ and GZDoom to get a "close enough" visual effect in a 1440p display. In Eternity Engine in particular I just stick with 1920x1080 since non-HD resolutions seem to kinda blur everything in it - and going beyond that barely produces a visual difference in Doom (at least to me eyes). 

5 minutes ago, Mike Stu said:

Oh wow I tried creating a similar topic a while back and people gave precisely 0 shits, so this thread is a blessing.

Well, let this be a lesson that to start a discussion just explode into the middle of a run-on sentence about your TV or whatever

Don't come out all coy you have to bash people over the head with it

Spoiler

For real though threads get buried within a day, don't take it personally, maybe everyone was just eating lunch

1 hour ago, magicsofa said:

Well, let this be a lesson that to start a discussion just explode into the middle of a run-on sentence about your TV or whatever

Don't come out all coy you have to bash people over the head with it

Reveal hidden contents

For real though threads get buried within a day, don't take it personally, maybe everyone was just eating lunch

Ha, thanks my dude. I'll be sure to mention movie theaters next time.

Spoiler

And nah, no issue taken, I was genuinely glad to see people replying here - reading my comment again it did come off as sorta petty, which wasn't my goal. Oh well. 

1920x1200 as it's my preferred desktop resolution.

I like a relatively vanilla experience, but I did my time with 300x200 back when the game first came out and it's one classic feature that I don't miss.

I never play anything higher than 320x200 (Woof, Crispy, Eternity) because it would look awfully boring. Doom only looks stylish with big pixels. It scales to 1440x1080 on my monitor. Aspect ratio correction to 4:3