Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Use

Silence of the Boom

hello,

I've been expanding my source-port horizons and downloaded prBoom, which i've been using for a few days. I really enjoy the port, everything works well and it really does feel more like the original game (like many others i've been using zdoom the longest). Everything was good, until I tried to adjust my sound levels, for the sfx are too quiet and the music is a little too loud. Unfortunately the sliders in the sound menu do nothing. Sound remains the same even after restarting the program. I'm using windowsXP and a c-media integrated sound chip.
I poked around on sourceforge for help but nothing jumped out at me, so I figured someone here might have an idea or two. Also 800x600 resolution is fried, the game blows up as soon as a map loads, but that's not a big deal. I'm more concerned about this annoying volume issue.

thanks for the help!

Boo can anyone help me? maybe it's my crummy sound chip. You'd think out of all the people using prboom someone else would run into this problem! i love the port btw.

i'll do that fredrik if no one here can come up with anything. I did read some things on sourceforge about the sound system being kinda..not good.

Hmm, sounds like you downloaded prboom 2.02, maybe? I remember having to adjust the output sound for MIDI before launching it. The newer 2.x.x versions do not have that problem. Also, check how high you have set the general MIDI playback sound on your computer. I personally don't use MIDI playback when running prboom or zdoom (zdoom has lately caused problems with MIDI... not sure if that's been fixed), and instead use timidity with GUS patches. Anyone not having exceptional MIDI playback capabilities probably should. It sounds good and doesn't cause problems.

IIRC, in the txt file of prBoom it´s written that you can´t adjust the volume of the music, you can only make it go mute or not.