Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[TIME IS UP!] Literalism - A Boom-compatible CP where we do things by the map title

2 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Since @Chainie, @TheNoob_Gamer and @Origamyde expressed interest, would one of you be able and willing to give it a shot? (You'll be getting a new map title.)

If the spot is still available, I'd like to give it a try. Otherwise, good luck on the lucky one gifted this additional slot ! 

13 minutes ago, Origamyde said:

If the spot is still available, I'd like to give it a try.

The spot is yours! You're in the MAP21 slot, your map title is "The Drowned Tunnels".

Just now, MFG38 said:

The spot is yours! You're in the MAP21 slot, your map title is "The Drowned Tunnels".

Thank you ! :0

Small aside question before I begin work on this slot, which version of Boom/PrBoom do I need ? The 2.02 one or a much recent one ? 

Just now, Origamyde said:

Small aside question before I begin work on this slot, which version of Boom/PrBoom do I need ? The 2.02 one or a much recent one ? 

v2.5.1.4 is/was one of the most recent and commonly used versions of PrBoom+, so it's recommended that you test your map in that. There's also dsda-doom and Woof!, with the former being a sort of continuation of PrBoom+ and the latter being a modernized WinMBF fork. There are some differences between the three ports, but they're all Boom-compatible at any rate.

3 minutes ago, Ukikomori said:

Is it fine if I can request a different name for my map?

You have been heard. Would "Strange Realm" be a workable title for you?

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

You have been heard. Would "Strange Realm" be a workable title for you?

That works. Time to get mapping.

2 hours ago, Redoom said:

sign me out, im not feeling good at the moment

Noted. Hope you get better soon.

MAP12 slot is open. Who wants to bite?

Well, it's unfortunate 2 people have to be out. I'm leaving room for better mappers out there, while staying back and observe your progress.

3 hours ago, MFG38 said:

MAP12 slot is open. Who wants to bite?

I'd be happy to join in :)

So I shoved Astro X and SilverMiner into a random name picker to determine which one gets the vacant slot, and the thing decided that it shall go to @SilverMiner. Your map title is "Acid Road".

Map name: Gold Factory
Author: Engired
Play time: 10-12 minutes
Music: Hive Mecha (Metroid Prime) [Downloaded from VGMusic.com] {Hopefully it isn't released commercially}
Textures: OTEX
Difficulty settings: Yes [Timing is off for everything but ultra-violence.]
Coop: Yes (It's literally just a bunch more archviles though)
Deathmatch: Yes (4 Players)

Description:
Two designs - The complex nature of the caves, and the simple interior of the factory. One is also far more evil.
Good luck.
And I mean evil by design, not by demons.

OTEX also really needs some better gold textures.

Download: GoldFactory.zip (Version 2)

Edited by Engired

9 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Well, it's unfortunate 2 people have to be out. I'm leaving room for better mappers out there, while staying back and observe your progress.

If I'm mapping for this thing, I'm not sure that quality is the biggest concern.

1 hour ago, Dazel said:

If I'm mapping for this thing, I'm not sure that quality is the biggest concern.

I'd not want to waste my time making something most people might not enjoy, personally. Leaving slots for others seem like the best choice for me - I prefer playtesting anyways ;)

@Engired Gave your map a spin, here's some quick bullet-point feedback (I'm most likely gonna keep my feedback this way for all future entries as well):

• Simplistic but oddly appealing visuals, nice texture work overall. The blue water pipe towards the end was an unexpected but cool touch.
  • Layout is quite linear for the most part, which isn't a problem, but for future reference, experimenting with more non-linear layouts definitely won't go amiss.
  • SUGGESTION: The Imp/Demon/Shotgunner arena could use more health.
  • BUG: Blue door can be opened without the blue key.
  • BUG: The voodoo doll conveyor in the Imp/Demon/Shotgunner arena inexplicably broke for me the first time around. It worked as intended on my second attempt, and looking at the map in UDB, I'm unable to pinpoint the cause of the breakage, but there apparently is a possibility of that happening.

3 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

@Engired Gave your map a spin, here's some quick bullet-point feedback (I'm most likely gonna keep my feedback this way for all future entries as well):

• Simplistic but oddly appealing visuals, nice texture work overall. The blue water pipe towards the end was an unexpected but cool touch.
  • Layout is quite linear for the most part, which isn't a problem, but for future reference, experimenting with more non-linear layouts definitely won't go amiss.
  • SUGGESTION: The Imp/Demon/Shotgunner arena could use more health.
  • BUG: Blue door can be opened without the blue key.
  • BUG: The voodoo doll conveyor in the Imp/Demon/Shotgunner arena inexplicably broke for me the first time around. It worked as intended on my second attempt, and looking at the map in UDB, I'm unable to pinpoint the cause of the breakage, but there apparently is a possibility of that happening.

I wonder how I forgot to do the blue key door. The voodoo doll might be a one off thing, I'll check it again sometime later.

So, yesterday i started a map for this and i just stumbled in a issue, over to understand what a Jungle of Albus is, but with the magic of Googling and bizarre mental combinations, I'm making something...

For a jungle place what textures are better: OTEX

doom00.png.69f1c23db4b007216dd174b27c0e000f.png

or CC4-TEX?

doom01.png.a1f876c7ff212c4a9aa8ca421e25aeb4.png

Personally, i found both are good for a natural environment, but more for a abstract forest than that a Jungle (maybe CC4-TEX is better, but in a very slightly way). Did some of you guys knows a good texture pack for Jungle wads?

26 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

For a jungle place what textures are better: OTEX or CC4-TEX?

Hmm, leaning towards the OTEX one, but that's just my personal take. Ultimately, it's up to you.

11 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

are animated textures okay?

Yes, they are.

My map is almost ready for testing, actually. I just need to find replacements for the temporary doom 2 flats/textures and a suitable liquid texture.

3 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

So, yesterday i started a map for this and i just stumbled in a issue, over to understand what a Jungle of Albus is, but with the magic of Googling and bizarre mental combinations, I'm making something...

For a jungle place what textures are better: OTEX

or CC4-TEX?

Personally, i found both are good for a natural environment, but more for a abstract forest than that a Jungle (maybe CC4-TEX is better, but in a very slightly way). Did some of you guys knows a good texture pack for Jungle wads?

I like the purple liquid, what is it supposed to be?

Third proof of concept for Map24: Breaking Walls. (Fully playable)

Work in progress / proof of concept, so I'm looking for very specific feedback. Namely:

• How is the wall mechanic? Is it intuitive? Is it fun?
  • How 'surprised' are you by some of the traps / mechanics?
  • Is there any way how I could improve the overal premise/gimmick? (Breaking Walls)
  • How is the maze? Easy, difficult, fun, frustrating?

• General theme? I tried to go with a construction theme but I generally dislike 'realistic' looking maps. Should I switch the theme to Egyptian ruins?

I look forward to your feedback!

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210726_041454.png.865b0c6850a30094a63be30a5db9dfea.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210726_041639.png.6438f15eee4f49401c85dbe273112ee3.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210726_041728.png.49c8ade564311a49f0b745b34bbe8921.png

BreakingWallsTest_v3.zip

Edited by Pistoolkip