Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[TIME IS UP!] Literalism - A Boom-compatible CP where we do things by the map title

3 hours ago, Alper002 said:

There were times where I was close to thinking I couldn't make it to the old deadline, but things seemed to work out fine.

I could've tried making a map with several brutal traps and fit the name perfectly. Instead, I decided to bring in some famously scornful foes! Nazis!

Map name: Scorning Quarters
Author: Alper002
Play time: 8 mins (plus more if confusing)
Music: Tower theme from New Super Mario Bros. - midi rendition from vgmusic.com
Textures: N/A
Difficulty settings: no
Coop: no
Deathmatch: no

Description: An underground fortress holding a bunch of nazis. Said nazis were evil enough to tie a required door to the death of the several commander keens you may find!

ScrnQrtrV1.zip

Not sure what I wanna do specifically for difficulty settings, so I've omitted them for now. Shouldn't be too difficult as it is, hopefully.

It's dark, it's mazy. I enjoyed hunting the commander keens. Map is super easy even by doom 2 standards, until the fight at the bridge at the end. 

You should also use some contrast or better lighting to emphasize the doors and the way forwards for the player

Edited by Pistoolkip

@Alper002 Feedback for your map:

• Visuals are decent overall, though the opening room admittedly doesn't leave the best impression. Could just be that I've been spoiled by custom textures, but I'm not a fan of the big brick texture used there.
  • Layout leaves something to be desired. There is some nice non-linearity to it, but the cramped corridors in particular bring it down somewhat.
  • Gameplay isn't the worst, but there is room for improvement. The main problem here is that the layout doesn't exactly allow for super interesting combat scenarios. There are only so many directions enemies can come from in a two-way corridor. That said, I did enjoy the shooting gallery on the bridge right before the exit - it was definitely the highlight of the map combat-wise.
  • No bugs caught.

@roadworx And for your map:

• Decent visuals, the custom textures you used mixed in surprisingly well with the stock ones. Didn't catch any spots where they clashed.
  • Nice open-ended layout, it was a joy to navigate.
  • Gameplay is nicely hectic and fun overall. I wasn't a big fan of the hot start, though, mostly because I overlooked the Chaingun in the starting room and thus spent a tiny bit too long than I would've liked scrambling for a weapon.
  • SUGGESTION: The speed of the red bars, them being in the middle of an elevator ride, should be faster. With their speed as it is, it's not impossible to miss the small window where the player can pass through them and have to take the elevator back down to them. I know it's somewhat of a nitpick, but still.
  • No bugs caught.

crippling vestiphobia v2
- lots of minor visual fixes and polish

- exit area has more detailing and updated sky

- backtrack route from final arena is now different to avoid awkwardness with infinite tall enemies

- some gameplay balance, penultimate arena is tiny bit easier.

- av in yellow key section now don't wake up until leaving room so you can admire doomcute in peace

crippling_vestiphobia_v2.zip (cc4-tex still required)

Map name: Leviathan's Vault (MAP28)
Author: the lamp
Play time: 10 mins
Music: stock (Bobby Prince - Getting Too Tense)
Textures: tnt, plutonia, icarus(rain), dbp36(coins)
Difficulty settings: yes
Coop: yes

Description: upset at the lack of fortune to match his fame, doomguy decides to rob Leviathan's vaultdoom10.png.1a0165391622473ed75fbd41951e7cab.png

leviathans-vault.rar

@thelamp Feedback for your map:

• Decent visuals overall, good use of textures and some nice lighting work in places.
  • Nice open layout, getting around isn't a problem given the map's size. For future reference, though, experimenting with more non-linearity won't go amiss.
  • Gameplay is decently fun, but there's room for upping the challenge in the first half, given that the map is (tentatively) going to be in a late-game slot.
  • BUG: Visual glitch here (see spoiler below):
Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210813_185958.png.a204c794c533070ce271749aee73882f.png

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:
  • Nice open-ended layout, it was a joy to navigate.
  • Gameplay is nicely hectic and fun overall.

dummy.gif.f3d66129534fc9f3ae34892ee28db091.gif

btw, fun fact - the reason that all the custom textures blend in well is cuz a lot of the textures that tic made were modified doom 2 textures

Edited by roadworx

12 hours ago, roadworx said:

wow i actually finished a map for once

Map name: Abyssal Tower

Author: Roadworx

Play time: uhhh...15 minutes?

Music: "Breach of Madness" by Mark Klem

Textures: Memento Mori II, Obituary, Requiem

Difficulty settings: yes, though it may need to be tweaked a bit

Coop: no

Description: it's a flooded marble tower located thousands of feet below the ocean's surface, and it just so happens to be infested with a fuckload of demons. fun for the whole family.

MAP15.rar

Fun map! I liked the layout and combat encounters. Lots of room to maneuver but also tight spaces and monsters coming from all directions. As MFG38 said the hot start is really hot and could be trimmed down a little, especially cause it's easy to miss the chaingun or some ammo and quickly find yourself out of ammo or surrounded. 

This is my second attempt at beating the map, played it on HMP and still died twice, but the map didn't feel unfair. Health and ammo aren't in great supply but there is enough. 

The visuals are fine, I liked the combination of the water and greenish textures to suggest an underwater area, but there was also a lack of detail - in particular around the tower itself / central lift. Maybe add some skylights with water textures, or an underwater passage from the starting area to the lift? Since you can use the water texture as a ceiling texture you can really show-off that's underwater. 

The final room / exit was a bit lackluster. I like the rising floor but I was surprised that the level ended, I expected one more encounter there. 

Hope this helps!

12 hours ago, roadworx said:

Map name: Abyssal Tower

This seems like it would be a fun map with some small adjustments. There's a lot of interesting geometry and angles for enemies to attack you from. However, it felt like I was constantly starved for health, considering how many hitscanners there are. For every health kit I'd find, there'd be a shotgunner peeking around a corner and leaving me back under 50%. I think I died more on this map than any other I've played so far.

I arrived at the red key door with 30% hp and there didn't seem to be any good options. If you run into the room to find cover from the archvile, there's multiple shotgunners to punish you. And if you back up onto the lift it gets very annoying because all the enemies gather around the gate and the lift doesn't actually stop at that floor.

Also, a small gripe, there's a stash of 4 boxes of rockets before the switch that unleashes the last big wave of enemies. But if you arrive at that switch from the other side you can very easily miss them. I ran out of ammo entirely during that fight until I finally found those boxes. Ammo is pretty scarce in general.

33 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

Fun map! I liked the layout and combat encounters. Lots of room to maneuver but also tight spaces and monsters coming from all directions. As MFG38 said the hot start is really hot and could be trimmed down a little, especially cause it's easy to miss the chaingun or some ammo and quickly find yourself out of ammo or surrounded. 

This is my second attempt at beating the map, played it on HMP and still died twice, but the map didn't feel unfair. Health and ammo aren't in great supply but there is enough. 

The visuals are fine, I liked the combination of the water and greenish textures to suggest an underwater area, but there was also a lack of detail - in particular around the tower itself / central lift. Maybe add some skylights with water textures, or an underwater passage from the starting area to the lift? Since you can use the water texture as a ceiling texture you can really show-off that's underwater. 

The final room / exit was a bit lackluster. I like the rising floor but I was surprised that the level ended, I expected one more encounter there.

thank you so much - i appreciate this greatly :)

the details are meant to be fairly minimalist; i'm a huge fan of older mapsets so that's the sort of style i wanted to go for. however, i probably should add a bit to the lift area. and yeah, the final room is a bit shit. i was trying to get it done as quickly as i could so i could meet the deadline, so i didn't have time to think up a new encounter and playtest the shit out of it. however, with the deadline extended, i'll make sure it's far less anticlimactic than it currently is ;)

17 minutes ago, SCF said:

This seems like it would be a fun map with some small adjustments. There's a lot of interesting geometry and angles for enemies to attack you from. However, it felt like I was constantly starved for health, considering how many hitscanners there are. For every health kit I'd find, there'd be a shotgunner peeking around a corner and leaving me back under 50%. I think I died more on this map than any other I've played so far.

I arrived at the red key door with 30% hp and there didn't seem to be any good options. If you run into the room to find cover from the archvile, there's multiple shotgunners to punish you. And if you back up onto the lift it gets very annoying because all the enemies gather around the gate and the lift doesn't actually stop at that floor.

Also, a small gripe, there's a stash of 4 boxes of rockets before the switch that unleashes the last big wave of enemies. But if you arrive at that switch from the other side you can very easily miss them. I ran out of ammo entirely during that fight until I finally found those boxes. Ammo is pretty scarce in general.

i'll add a tad more health in the areas before the red key part, but i suggest playing on hmp if it gave you a lot of trouble. i'm able to beat the map on uv and i'm decent-ish at best at the game, so it's far from impossible. i'll be sure to put the rockets in a more visible location tho, thanks for mentioning that.

also, the bars are supposed to close behind you so you can't get back on the lift. is that not working or something?

22 minutes ago, roadworx said:

also, the bars are supposed to close behind you so you can't get back on the lift. is that not working or something?

I must've skipped the linedef and then saved before opening the door. When I try to reproduce it, it usually closes but sometimes I can make it past. I don't know that works exactly.

2 hours ago, thelamp said:

Author: the lamp
Play time: 10 mins
Music: stock (Bobby Prince - Getting Too Tense)
Textures: tnt, plutonia, icarus(rain), dbp36(coins)
Coop: yes

Description: upset at the lack of fortune to match his fame, doomguy decides to rob Leviathan's vaultdoom10.png.1a0165391622473ed75fbd41951e7cab.png

leviathans-vault.rar

Here's my playthrough:

Great map with a unique layout and some nice surprises: the water going down, the Icon of Sin opening up, etc. Great use of the environment.

The fights are fine, but mostly forgettable until the last one which is huge, with two Cyberdemons, a Spidermastermind, multiple Pain Elementals, three Archviles and plenty of Shotgunners teleporting in. Nasty. Luckely you are given a Megasphere, a BFG, and plenty of cells and rockets.

I didn't notice I could grab the SSG so I had to use the regular shotgun a lot, but still didn't run out of ammo. The last fight can be a bit random as the Cyberdemons and Spidermastermind can do a lot of infighting.

The map could really benefit from some minor improvements in texture work and architecture. While to overall cave looks great, the smaller areas and some of the details feel hurried and incomplete.

Examples:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210813_193548.png.19e35fd9ae1608a3b45066416eb5fd8d.png

Support3 doesn't work well on 32 length surfaces. Make the bars 24x24 instead and they look a lot better. Also, this area could use some more light / contrast

Screenshot_Doom_20210813_193446.png.ea9817b8a692ac395580df3c306c90ed.png

The wood on the left is a door texture, but this isn't a door?
Also, the alignment of the WOODMET texture is just off. Beter adjust them so the metal is at the top and bottom.

Screenshot_Doom_20210813_191947.png.89a3c331ea204856fde037158d87dfee.png

Midgrate textures look a bit weird at this angle (at several places). Better put a small pillar between the rock and the midgrate to border them off

These are just minor complaints because overal the map is good and rather unique, and you really used the title given to great effect. 

I hope these help! Good luck polishing the map!

8 hours ago, Alper002 said:

Map name: Scorning Quarters

The map is generally fairly easy since most monsters are right in front of you and low in numbers, but I wouldn't say it was boring or tedious anywhere. The nastiest encounter is probably the one where the wall opens and there's multiple chaingunners and SS officers. It's not too bad, but the difference between that fight and most of the map is pretty stark so it seems a bit inconsistent.

I think there's just enough extra detail in most of the rooms so it doesn't look too plain, but some of the connecting hallways are just long sections with the same texture, and could use something to break up the monotony.

The door that opens when you kill all the Keens should probably stand out more, since right now you might not realize it's important (or even miss it completely). If it was, say, a big door lit by torches you'd know to come back to that place. Especially since you won't know if you got all the Keens or not until the door opens.

Finally, in the screenshot below, the texture alignment is off on the wall sections inside the staircase. Also, for the stair steps, I think it looks better when they don't all have the same texture offset. If you move some of them a bit to the left/right it would look more natural.

Spoiler

FpZQXek.png

5 hours ago, thelamp said:

I liked it. The 'vault' area behind the Icon of Sin face looks cool. Although some of the other areas seem underdetailed in comparison. The combat was fun, although it was a little annoying when you go down the overgrown tunnel after the first switch and the pain elementals can see you and start firing lost souls before you get a clear view of the area.

There are two shotgunners that don't teleport into the final fight, because they're placed just over the linedef, and ended up inside the sector with height 0. As a result sound doesn't propagate and they never wake up.

Thanks for the week's extension on the deadline @MFG38, I'd convinced myself that I would be able to wrap things up in a sprint tonight but that's not happening so I was coming here to post the bad news when I saw the updated closing date - I'll see if I can make the most of it.  :)

Thanks for the feedback! Here's the changes I've made to my map:

• Added some monsters and closets
  • Placed additional item pickups
  • Implemented difficulty settings
  • Inserted some tiny wall decorations
  • Hopefully communicated the amount of keens on the map?
  • rotated the whole thing by 90 degrees because fake contrast

The map in the wad file is still on the MAP04 slot.

If I was more daring I could've tried messing more with the layout, but aside from shortening one hallway I decided not to do so.

ScrnQrtrV2.zip

Looks like I have even more catching up to do! Quintuple Commentary! May contain duplicates

All those submissions were played in Woof-UV, because I want a change of pace.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:19 PM, Alper002 said:

Scorning Quarters

LITERALISM: YES. Those kids must have messed something up really badly to undergone torture in such a prison.

ACTUAL REVIEW:

Fun map! I really like the prison theme in this one, and how you have to trigger map elements to reveal exit.

Spoiler

though admittedly having to killed hangman-children wasn't really fun thematic-wise; but it is a cool gameplay element.

The whole progression feels really nice and non-linear, texturing is on-point. Very good job, considering the editor you used. I also like how ammo management is a must (apparently) - I ended up having to use pistol pretty often, and one of my runs had me constantly searching for shells.

There's this hallway with a lot of rooms (I assume are torturing blocks or guards' offices), each of which is nicely detailed (albeit a little bit too simplistic) and contains a lot of Doomcute and surprises.

As for gameplay, the roles Nazis played were rather...interesting indeed, though I suspect they could have been featured more prominently in the later parts of the map. Since your goal is to put an end to the Executed Children's torments scattering around various pieces of the map; with zero keyhunting you can basically explore anywhere you want. Thus, The low enemy counts (+ the scarce ammunition mentioned earlier) fit really well with the adventurous flow of the map.

Some comments:

• At 11:23 in the gameplay video, there's a hangman spot where if you accidentally (or stupidly?) fall in, you can't get back out. Perhaps it's because the lift is one-sided?
  • The room at 7:54 feels a bit barren, with only 2 spectres as guards. I think at least 2-3 teleporting enemies (maybe also Spectres lol) from behind could add a bit of challenge (it would break the flow a bit, I noticed there are no ambushes apart from the end, but would be quite an element of surprise).
  • I think the last bridge (while thematically fitting) is a bit too easy gameplay-wise, having a rather big length with few enemies. A PE could be good for spicing up tactics.
  • The map is a bit too dark. I had to cranked up gamma level 4 to even see what's what.
  • Visual bug (texture clipping?) at the ending bridge, I think I pointed this out near the end.

...That's basically it! Exploring this dungeon has been a real treat - 9/10!

bonkers. Just as I'm writing this, you made an update. Hopefully my comment still stay relevant a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 8/13/2021 at 10:47 PM, thelamp said:

Leviathan's Vault (MAP28)

LITERALISM: Whoever Leviathian was, he did not maintain his stash well. Entire area initially flooded, guards suck at doing their jobs (they leave out too much ammo and have bad coordination!) and the treasure here wasn't worth it - the only apparent gold can't even be removed! The guns would make for interesting items in the black market though, so I'd have to say YES.

ACTUAL REVIEW:

Another adventure-style map, very big; although it is considerably more linear than the former. I really enjoy the underground look of the map though, and the texture work here is nicely done and really feels natural (as in, it does sort of look like a vault). The various interactive environmental elements are really cool as well (de-flooding the caves, the rainfall/barrier thing at the end, the goldTM are some notable mentions).

In terms of gameplay - it is fun, enjoyable, mesh well with the theme; for the most part. I think the size unfortunately did not go in tandem with the enemy placements halfway through. The backpack does make shooting things very fun, I must say.

Some comments:

• After de-flooding, there are some parts of the still-standing rock platforms that are untextured in the bottom (in gameplay, you can see it from 5:43 onwards). I think this is a serious visual issue, as Woof is pretty conservative in nature and thus highly accurate in rendering.
  • The map seems rather lacking in verticality, most notably after the plasma gun. The archvile/shotgunner teleport combo imo is rather tedious and a bit bizarre (they don't really synergize well in this particular circumstance). I would suggest scattering various teleport points around the bloodrain/barrier hallway and the outer part.
  • Crushers which start triggering near the bloodrain hallway entrance don't seem to serve any important gameplay purpose. Perhaps monsters can teleport there, or ammo pickups can be around, baiting players to grab them? (this would require a faster crusher though).
  • The archviles at the end of blood hallways appeared rather late. I think one could teleport right infront of exit for an element of surprise.

That's pretty much it, I think gameplay just need some further fine-tuning and it would be pretty good. 8/10

------------------------------------------------------

On 8/11/2021 at 9:14 PM, MFG38 said:

The Imp Engine

LITERALISM: There are indeed engines, but they don't look tiny enough. So YES?

ACTUAL REVIEW:

I don't have anything more to add, just that it's a really solid entry.  Though, perhaps the final room can have more imps and some spectres, and the crusher room leading to blue key can be make clearer by blinking lights. 

And more tiny engines, maybe. 8.5/10

---------------------------------------------------

On 8/13/2021 at 12:04 PM, roadworx said:

Abyssal Tower

LITERALISM: While it is not apparent you are in a tower, you do go up to get to major points of the map. And it is indeed hectic. => YES.

ACTUAL REVIEW: 

This map is really combat-heavy! Visuals are on point and generally solid, considering the setting; though I had to cranked up brightness later on. 

I don't have anything to say regarding the actual gameplay - it is generally very fast-paced and the ammo placement is overall pretty balanced.

Some comments:

• Monster placement seems rather random, at least initially - I found the recurring mix of zombies together pretty bizarre to deal with. 
  • As the plasma gun is acquired rather late (and for some reasons at 2 places! - the second optional gun can be replaced with a cellpack instead), I think there can be more cells, or at least more enemies at the end to increase its usefulness. As it stands, the weapon's role is dwarfed by SSG and Rocket Launcher, both arguably more versatile, deals more damage and a lot more ammo around. 
  • The final battle at the blue key room is a bit underwhelming - maybe blocking bars + teleporting monsters setup?
  • Archvile spawn in the big fight for the blue key (which I struggled with for a considerable amount of time lol), is honestly kind of useless. A second one can instead blocking one of 3 hallways you exit out, providing more potential gameplay dynamic.

Very bizarre "tower", 8/5.10.

------------------------------------------------------

On 8/11/2021 at 7:28 AM, Pistoolkip said:

Breaking Walls

LITERALISM: YES! NOW WITH 66.7% MORE CONCRETE DEMOLITION!!!

ACTUAL REVIEW: Pretty much all I've said about your map in the first version applies here perfectly. Plus some more.

I really love how you greatly expanded the original concept - the map now features a mansion (with no roof lol), a brilliantly designed maze in disguise (or, the construction area), enemies destructing environments granted, neat stolen concept  ; a toxic dump area (?), maybe more. 

Gameplay is also very challenging - just like how you relentlessly blow up blocking walls to dirt and concrete, enemies also want to smack you to smithereens. That last zombie portion got me good lol. Chaingun being replaced with chainsaw at the spawn point is a rather interesting decision - although I am not the biggest fan of the weapon (honestly only excellent as a proof of concept), I nonetheless have got some good uses out of it.

Some cool environmental stuff I noticed/comments:

• The 6-key BFG sidequest. I wasn't able to catch'em all, but they have been pretty fun to spot. Secrets in this map generally do boost replay value a lot, and I feel engaged hunting for them.
  • The construction area maze is a great successor to the original maze - there's always new places to explore, new enemies to shoot and new situations to run from :) Very nice flow, although I do find it easy to get lost later on.
  • Wallbreaking! It appears in this version you no longer stick to the philosophy of brown walls = secrets; making them harder to be dug out. This is a good thing though, as it encourages you to experiment with the art of demolishing :)
  • Graverobbing! You know what I meant, near the mansion. That's honestly really funny, though I wish there was some sort of reward for it.
  • Have a lot of stuff to talk about mansion - toaster, the hidden bookshelf, and bedroom. The fact the entire thing has no roof just make it all the more entertaining when you eventually rip it to pieces. I however thing the bedroom is a bit too barren - just a bed. Adding a corpse, some candles as decoration could work better imo - it can implies interesting things :) The mansion fight also feels somewhat easy - There probably should be some aviation enemies teleporting in as support.
  • Considering the size of the final part of the map, I do think it is a bit on the easy part once you got everything figured out. But I also stupidly died a lot to lowly zombies, so...

8.5/10, the explosion at the end was marvellous.

Screenshots would be perfect

I don't have anything of that sort, but here's something possibly better!

Map name: Borrow a Zombie
Author: C3ntralPr0cessing aka Leon S. Kennedy
Play time: roughly 30 minutes
Music: "Reaching Deeper" by Eris Falling, TNTR & "Temple of Judgement" by Thyrbes, HR2
Textures: cc4tex & plums' skystravaganza
Difficulty settings: Yup
Coop: Nope
Deathmatch: Nope
Description: A haunted cathedral-graveyard thingy with several large scale encounters, meant to be pretty brutal (apparently it's not that bad . ^. ). Supplies are abundant, to keep the map from feeling too crushing. Gather two demonic keys and take a trip to the underworld. I tried making a Chaingunner escort mission at first, but it turned out to be pretty unfun. And yes, whatever nightmare dimension this graveyard is located in has two moons. Don't question it.

Known bugs: Source ports of the GZ variety might chug a bit & rarely, some Cacos will float annoyingly high

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210815_190654.png.5738484bf9572051efd7ba9571868465.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210815_190734.png.28a7c25db5316c8f9c03a275197e324a.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210815_190923.png.9b5b2b6f95c0bf979e273e8dbc8f64ee.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210815_191229.png.57fddc21c583126935ca49ee03650036.png

Download: Borrow a Zombie Motherfucker.wad.zip

Updates:

Fixed the issues SCF & Noob discovered (hopefully) & added two Soulspheres for the final fight on UV

Some rebalancing & bugfixing

Edited by C3ntralPr0cessing

14 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

At 11:23 in the gameplay video, there's a hangman spot where if you accidentally (or stupidly?) fall in, you can't get back out. Perhaps it's because the lift is one-sided?

I forgot to mention that I fixed this particular bug in my update.

bonkers. Just as I'm writing this, you made an update. Hopefully my comment still stay relevant a bit.

Combat-wise, I don't know how much the comments will stay relevant. The encounters themselves are definitely tougher on the whole. That said, the two parts you complained about were the only places that didn't really get changed :P

Aside from that and the aforementioned bugfix I think the rest is still mostly relevant.

35 minutes ago, C3ntralPr0cessing said:

Okay, here is the first version of my map, it's still rough around the edges, but I'll polish it up later if I have the time.

Map name: Borrow a Zombie

Great level! Both visually and in terms of gameplay, I enjoyed it a lot. The final fight was a tough one, but satisfying to beat, and the transition into that area is very cool. Ammo seems plentiful on UV. Just a few small comments:

• There's an untextured lower wall where you jump down into the red/yellow key door area, from the red key side. On closer inspection, the associated linedef is set to "lower to next adjacent floor", but there's multiple of these linedefs in the area, so if you cross a second one it will lower all the way to the ground.
  • The switches you have to press in the rocket launcher area were kinda hard to see. Two of them were blocked by corpses, but the third one I completely missed even though I was searching for another switch. It's grey against a grey wall and I somehow failed to notice it despite looking in that direction. At least changing the color of the rock would help it stand out more like the others.
  • You can cheese the fight with the cluster of monsters who have their back turned towards you. The sound-blocking linedefs extend a little way into the area so if you stay behind them you can pick off some of the the archviles in the back before waking up the whole group.

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

LITERALISM: While it is not apparent you are in a tower, you do go up to get to major points of the map. And it is indeed hectic. => YES.

ACTUAL REVIEW: 

This map is really combat-heavy! Visuals are on point and generally solid, considering the setting; though I had to cranked up brightness later on. 

I don't have anything to say regarding the actual gameplay - it is generally very fast-paced and the ammo placement is overall pretty balanced.

yay, i was waiting for you to respond. your critiques are always great :)

i know it's not very towerlike. i used something else i was working on as a base cuz i wanted to meet the deadline, so...yeah lol

2 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Monster placement seems rather random, at least initially - I found the recurring mix of zombies together pretty bizarre to deal with. 

the monster placement isn't actually random, though i know it feels that way. i did my best to ensure that incidental combat was all over the place and as hectic as possible; in fact, the entire geometry of the first area before the yellow key is 100% gameplay based, unlike other areas where i filled some areas in with whatever i thought worked best. the reason i used so many zombiemen is cuz i was trying to invoke thomas möller, whose maps i absolutely adore. however, if you think i can improve on it, then i'd love to know!!

As the plasma gun is acquired rather late (and for some reasons at 2 places! - the second optional gun can be replaced with a cellpack instead), I think there can be more cells, or at least more enemies at the end to increase its usefulness. As it stands, the weapon's role is dwarfed by SSG and Rocket Launcher, both arguably more versatile, deals more damage and a lot more ammo around. 

i uh....don't even remember placing a second pg lmao. i must've removed it tho cuz i can't find it in udb. either way, i'll make the changes you suggested

The final battle at the blue key room is a bit underwhelming - maybe blocking bars + teleporting monsters setup?

there's a final battle now; hopefully it's not too difficult cuz it took me a while to actually start beating it consistently :p

Archvile spawn in the big fight for the blue key (which I struggled with for a considerable amount of time lol), is honestly kind of useless. A second one can instead blocking one of 3 hallways you exit out, providing more potential gameplay dynamic.

will do!!

thank you so very much, your criticism is much appreciated

45 minutes ago, SCF said:

• There's an untextured lower wall where you jump down into the red/yellow key door area, from the red key side. On closer inspection, the associated linedef is set to "lower to next adjacent floor", but there's multiple of these linedefs in the area, so if you cross a second one it will lower all the way to the ground.
  • The switches you have to press in the rocket launcher area were kinda hard to see. Two of them were blocked by corpses, but the third one I completely missed even though I was searching for another switch. It's grey against a grey wall and I somehow failed to notice it despite looking in that direction. At least changing the color of the rock would help it stand out more like the others.
  • You can cheese the fight with the cluster of monsters who have their back turned towards you. The sound-blocking linedefs extend a little way into the area so if you stay behind them you can pick off some of the the archviles in the back before waking up the whole group. 

Whoops, looks like I have some things to fix. Thanks a lot for your feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

On 8/10/2021 at 9:28 PM, Pistoolkip said:

So I'm pretty much done, but I'm sure there's plenty of misaligned textures etc still around. With 2500+ sectors and 12000+ linedefs, problems are bound to happen. Let me know if you find anything (screenshots would be perfect)

Map name: Breaking Walls

Map slot:24 (currently still in slot 1!)
Version: v12

Author: Pistoolkip

Play time: 20-25 minutes

Music: Into The Beast's Belly - (TNT map 8)

Textures: None

Sky: RSky2  (Doom 2's city sky)

Coop: Yes but untested

Description: Got the urge to destroy? This map is set at a construction site and features over a 100 breakable walls.

Break some walls, break some bones!

The layout consists of several interconnected areas: a demolition site, a construction site, an abandoned mansion, a drained canal, and finally, we traverse under the highway to an industrial site for the explosive finale.

There's also 12 secrets to find, including a special gift if you can collect all 6 keys. 

Update v13:
Fixed some issues

Replaced Bathrooms with another apartment 

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

86752526_BreakingWalls10Canal.png.ca8b583078de157382d84561d6a78388.png

Canal

1342104178_BreakingWalls10Demol.png.b2fffde60ad306adfce6b0eedbbe66f9.png

Demolition Site

754935363_BreakingWalls10Construction.png.7decd5c9f3b01268209d4fe19e0ec04b.png

Construction Site

1521347526_BreakingWalls10Industrial.png.93f07bc38ca208d406294c823fced992.png

Industrial Site

144833402_BreakingWalls10Mansion.png.a161eb60f3423d157eca06548d67e0f6.png

Abandoned House

Breaking Walls.zip

This map was AMAZING

pretty cool concept with breaking walls... Id love to take a peek to discover how it has been done... one option would be to make a 3d 'wall moster' that breaks down in stages as it takes damage

16 minutes ago, Clippy said:

This map was AMAZING

Awesome! But I'm afraid I'll have to postpone watching it until tomorrow. Can't wait!

9 minutes ago, CBM said:

pretty cool concept with breaking walls... Id love to take a peek to discover how it has been done... one option would be to make a 3d 'wall moster' that breaks down in stages as it takes damage

It's not a difficult trick in Boom, and a known entity. Just set a G1 trigger to raise the floor to lowest adjacent. Because the lowest adjacent floor is down rather than up, Doom solves this by moving it instantly. As for the walls that break in pieces, that's just multiple sectors. @PinkFlamingo did a much nicer version of this - but also much more complicated, and I can't be bothered to do it for this many walls (100+) so I used his method only once (red key room)

34 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

Awesome! But I'm afraid I'll have to postpone watching it until tomorrow. Can't wait!

It's not a difficult trick in Boom, and a known entity. Just set a G1 trigger to raise the floor to lowest adjacent. Because the lowest adjacent floor is down rather than up, Doom solves this by moving it instantly. As for the walls that break in pieces, that's just multiple sectors. @PinkFlamingo did a much nicer version of this - but also much more complicated, and I can't be bothered to do it for this many walls (100+) so I used his method only once (red key room)

Cool

I just played the map and its very awesome.

I do think there are way too many mancubi and revenants though. I had to cheat to both enjoy the map as well as keep from dying constantly.

There was a spot where I got stuck and had to idclip, can't remember where atm

---

also.... this whole project is so awesome... so many cool maps. I am blown away.

9 minutes ago, CBM said:

Cool

I just played the map and its very awesome.

I do think there are way too many mancubi and revenants though. I had to cheat to both enjoy the map as well as keep from dying constantly.

There was a spot where I got stuck and had to idclip, can't remember where atm

---

also.... this whole project is so awesome... so many cool maps. I am blown away.

Did you play at UV? Maybe try HMP next time?

I'd like to know where you got stuck though.

3 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

Did you play at UV? Maybe try HMP next time?

I'd like to know where you got stuck though.

I might play it again tomorrow at HMP difficulty and if I get stuck at the same spot then I can take a screenshot this time

new version

changelog:

- put chaingun in a place where it's more visible

- put rockets in blue key fight in more visible location

- added more plasma ammo

- changed arch-vile placement in blue key fight

- rebalanced hmp and hntr/itytd

- added a bit more health

- fixed red key bars

- added ending fight

MAP15.rar

8 minutes ago, C3ntralPr0cessing said:

@MFG38 I hope I'm not being too annoying, but I think you forgot to mention my post in the map list '- v-

I was just getting around to that. Got back from work not too long ago and had some errands to run.

@C3ntralPr0cessing Also, feedback for your map (no idea why I'm making this a separate post instead of just editing the previous one):

• Excellent visuals, everything about them is on point. The transition sequence before the final battle was a highlight.
  • Great layout, I loved the openness of it and how it looped around itself in a way.
  • Gameplay is fun with a good amount of challenge for the most part, though the AVs in the final battle caused me more grief than almost anything else. With the limited cover available, getting to the nearest one in time to avoid their flames scorching you can prove pretty difficult when you're running around like a headless chicken. I would suggest adding more cover, but I'm not sure how hard the final battle would be to optimize for any extra cover, seeing as it does get fairly crowded as it is.
  • No bugs caught.