Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[TIME IS UP!] Literalism - A Boom-compatible CP where we do things by the map title

9 hours ago, Danlex said:

Here's my map

Map name: Lunar Chasm

Author: Danlex

Music: "Clonk" by Esselfortium

Textures: Otex, Zoon-tex and The Kerberos Complex texture pack

Difficulty settings: yes

Coop: no

Deathmatch: no

Jumping/Crouching: no

Freelook: allowed

Description: A short but very challenging lunar techbase that takes place inside a giant chasm. The map name has the word "Chasm" in it so you know what kind of gameplay you can expect :P

wealunar.jpg.d2a6d3fc2fba68ab2a058e182b727c0d.jpg

lunarchasm.zip

Excellent map! 10/10 would play again.

here's my video playthrough (on HMP)

I thought the grey textures would look a little boring but they contrast well with the sky. Gameplay at HMP seemed a little easy, but I'll try again on UV later. 
The 'chasm' bits were not as annoying as I feared, and much better done than in Doom II. It also suits the title very well. Music was also good. 

hmm while watching your video I noticed that pinkies can use the switch teleports and they get stuck in the blue key area, it doesn't happen in prboom+ but I forgot to test the map in gzdoom, I will fix it later.

Thanks for playing!

TheMCv1.3.zip

Map Name: The Mancubus Computer

Author: Scrappy McDoogerton

Play Time: 10 Minutes

Music: 'Mega Robo-Clown Boss Battle' by Mouldy

Textures: 4 Minor Otex textures the rest are vanilla

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Coop: No

Deathmatch: No

Description: A short slaughter map featuring a Mancubus Computer. What is a Mancubus Computer? Play the map to find out!

Edited by ScrappyMcDoogerton : Updated to v1.3

Got word from Jark by private message that they decided to withdraw their map from the project. That means there's an open slot again, if anyone has the energy to spare to make a map in 23 hours.

17 hours ago, Krull said:

Will there be any leeway for bugfixing and small improvements after the deadline?

Of course there will be.

17 hours ago, Krull said:

Is feedback only being provided for maps submitted early?

I'll be providing feedback for all maps that "make it", so to say. Meaning that as long as a map gets submitted before the deadline, it'll get feedback from me. No matter if it's 5 hours or 5 minutes prior. Though chances are I'll either allow a grace period for late submissions or extend the deadline slightly further, depending on how things play out over the next day or so.

@Danlex Feedback for your map:

• Visuals are nothing short of amazing - solid use of textures, magnificent lighting, great detail work.
  • I'm hard-pressed to say much about the layout. It was just nice.
  • Nice hectic gameplay overall, though I admittedly wasn't a big fan of the blue key battle. It probably would've gone smoother if I'd had the Plasma Gun, but without it, it was pretty painful.
  • BUG: When I fell into the damaging pit where you get the yellow key and pressed one of the switches to get back up, it seemed like I still took damage from the floor when I was already off it. Might have been a one-time occurrence or something else like an Imp fireball, but worth double-checking.

@ScrappyMcDoogerton And for your map:

• Decent visuals. Texture usage was good with no visible clashing, but the lighting is pretty flat for the most part.
  • Layout is fine for the most part, if very heavy on strictly rectangular shapes. Just for future reference, you might want to experiment with more complex shapes.
  • Gameplay is pretty fun in the first half, but the final arena is borderline BS. Giving the player a Rocket Launcher only to almost completely discourage using it by filling the entire room with monsters at once - especially Pinkies, which can get right up in your face faster than you can kill them - isn't very fair. Neither is hiding the BFG in a place separate from the main arena, as any player that doesn't realize to go for it is bound to screw themselves over. If you insist on keeping the RL where it is, I'd suggest adding an Invul to go with it, just to make the start of the final battle slightly fairer, though I'd sooner replace it with a BFG.
  • No bugs caught.

2 hours ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

TheMC.zip

Map Name: The Mancubus Computer

Author: Scrappy McDoogerton

Play Time: 10 Minutes

Music: 'Mega Robo-Clown Boss Battle' by Mouldy

Textures: 4 Minor Otex textures the rest are vanilla

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Coop: No

Description: A short slaughter map featuring a Mancubus Computer. What is a Mancubus Computer? Play the map to find out!

Here's my playthrough on HMP:

Yeah, I didn't finish. I hate the platforming instant deaths. The rest of the map looks decent and short, and it has a unique style that fits the theme, even if it feels rushed, I know you didn't have much time to make this. 

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

Got word from Jark by private message that they decided to withdraw their map from the project. That means there's an open slot again, if anyone has the energy to spare to make a map in 23 hours.

That's a shame. His map had a uniqueness to it that I felt was a good fit with his theme and a great addition to the CP, even if there are more polished maps being made. 

6 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

May I take map13?

To quote the OP once again:

On 7/22/2021 at 4:56 PM, MFG38 said:

Only one map slot will be allowed per participating mapper.

And you already submitted a map. Sorry, but no dice.

I went ahead and extended the submission deadline by another 24 hours. It's now August 22nd @ 11.59am GMT.

@Morpheus666 Goddammit dude, I already edited the OP twice! :P But yeah, the slot is yours. Title is the same one I already gave you: "The Goat's Hideout".

4 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

@Morpheus666 Goddammit dude, I already edited the OP twice! :P But yeah, the slot is yours. Title is the same one I already gave you: "The Goat's Hideout".

Sorry! but yes, i am currently mapping for the map

crippling vestiphobia v3

-fixed some misalignment and slimetrails

-small visual polish

-moved trigger lines to reopen final arena doors to exit area

thanks FranscisT218 for testing map in twitch!

crippling_vestiphobia_v3.zip

I'm really sorry, but I have to drop my slot this time for my own sake.

Third and probably last version of my map.

- Added proper difficulty settings

- Fixed the most obvious texture misalignments

- Added a bit more bullet ammo to make the chaingun more useful

- Chainsaw secret now has a teleporter to avoid backtracking

- Improved detail in the graveyard secret

Download: CathedralOfRhyzaV3.rar

Map name: Cathedral of Rhyza
Author: PinkFlamingo
Play time: 15 minutes
Music: Cryptology by Jimmy
Textures: Otex 1.1 by Ola Björling (ukiro), "Q1EX*" textures from Quake and its expansions, "HX2TX*" textures from Hexen 2 
(both converted to Doom by Ceeb), sky texture by Mechadon, marble face texture by Gez.
Difficulty settings: Yes
Coop: Yes, starts provided

Description: A large map that focuses heavily on atmosphere and immersion. After I received the map title, I envisioned 
a dark medieval map with a cathedral at its center. Originally, I wanted to build an entire village around the cathedral 
but I quickly realized that I was never going to be able to finish that before the deadline, so I scrapped that idea. 
I added in a lot of secret areas to encourage exploration.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:02 AM, Danlex said:

Lunar Chasm

LITERALISM: Yes. Now that's a huge space pit.

ACTUAL REVIEW:
Another space map! I quite like everything going on here, from the spacy visuals (the red moon sky goes really well with varying shades of gray used in the map, as pointed out by Pistoolkip earlier) that ties a (mining?) base with natural elements together really well. I also adore the Doomcute things too, like the spaceships.

As for gameplay, this is indeed very LITERALISM; thankfully to a reasonable degree. Progression is very fun, the entire map is just a big keyhunt but the sprawling layout and height variance combined with general gameplay flow (which outside of key arenas, is relatively tame and manageable - most of the encounters can be easily solved with good movement and right guns) do help traversing around the level very fun.
I also like how the chasms only appear near the key sections and usually have pretty clear indicators, which is a nice touch; not to mention the fact they are also relatively okay to travel on, and often not unnecessarily long (the red and yellow key ledges were a bit tricky tho)

Other feedbacks:

• I feel like the red key doesn't serve much of a major purpose outside of the fact it's just there to go back to the starting area. Should it be restricted on the blue/yellow key; and instead you can trigger the path to exit using a red key switch near the path?
  • Most encounters were very good, except for the final red key arena. You get the key, and as shown from 19:45 onwards in gameplay, you can just cheese by sitting in a spot and rocketing enemies coming from other sides of the area. Combined with the supporting pillar, it is a non-challenge - at least on UV, additional teleport destination angles can be added to increase players' situational and spacial awareness? Just my 2 cents.

8.75/10, I almost got crazy travelling in such hazardous conditions.

22 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

• Most encounters were very good, except for the final red key arena. You get the key, and as shown from 19:45 onwards in gameplay, you can just cheese by sitting in a spot and rocketing enemies coming from other sides of the area. Combined with the supporting pillar, it is a non-challenge - at least on UV, additional teleport destination angles can be added to increase players' situational and spacial awareness? Just my 2 cents.

Good point, I second this.

The final fight was a little underwhelming.

Map name: Cobalt Amnesiac

Author: TheOrganGrinder

Play time: 5-10 minutes

Music: On the Hunt (Doom E1M6) by Robert Prince

Textures: none

Description: My first attempt at a map in this particular style.  I chose to interpret the "Cobalt" part of the title as a license to slather the COMPBLUE texture everywhere, and the "Amnesiac" part as sending the player along a repeated loop that changes at a certain stage during the map's progression.

cobaltamnesiac.rar

1 hour ago, TheOrganGrinder said:

Map name: Cobalt Amnesiac

Author: TheOrganGrinder

Play time: 5-10 minutes

Music: On the Hunt (Doom E1M6) by Robert Prince

Textures: none

Description: My first attempt at a map in this particular style.  I chose to interpret the "Cobalt" part of the title as a license to slather the COMPBLUE texture everywhere, and the "Amnesiac" part as sending the player along a repeated loop that changes at a certain stage during the map's progression.

cobaltamnesiac.rar

Fun map. I did an HMP playthrough but something went wrong with the recording, so I did another attempt at pacifist. 

The map is challenging enough, but becomes significantly easier once you're past the first lap (on HMP). You get a plasmagun, blue armor, and a supercharge, and the Caco's aren't really a threat. Neither is the Spidermastermind or the handful of other enemies that spawn in.
Though I did notice that the map is significantly harder on UV. 

I did enjoy the first loop though. There is plenty of meat to dodge and fight while the mancubi turrets spew fireballs everywhere. 

The compblue is a little boring and could use a lot of detailing. There is only a handful of blue in other places, though I did like the blue lights near the doors. No blue key though? 
I'd suggest some more detailing, or go all-in on the cobalt/blue stuff. Maybe find a cobalt texture in a texturepack, or make one yourself? I'd also suggest changing the Support 3 bars that come up to either blue lights, or the blue skulls. 

As for the amnesia part, that was my biggest disappointment. I get you run the same lap multiple times, or actually just three times if you do it right. The changes were all pretty apparent. 

What I suggest is you do, is using the invisible teleport trigger from Boom to teleport the player to a new location, without their knowledge. Copy-paste the original loop, that change some stuff around - some textures, but most importantly, some important items. Wasn't the key there before? Where is it now? And where is the red door? Didn't I kill that arachnotron already? 

If you have the time of course. 

Edited by Pistoolkip

@TheOrganGrinder Feedback for your map:

• Visuals aren't the worst, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't room for improvement. I do have to commend the texture usage, given that it's all stock textures, but the brown(er) textures felt like they clashed with the other textures somewhat, especially the blue. The lighting also felt pretty flat for a good portion of the map, and the lack of detailing especially doesn't help.
  • Nice semi-open layout, I liked how it looped around itself.
  • Pretty fun gameplay with a good amount of challenge, though I'm not sure about the zombiemen that spawn in going up the stairs. They do pose quite a high threat, given how open the map is, but I feel like sandwiching the player between two groups of them is almost too much of a threat.
  • No bugs caught.

@Krull And for your map:

• Cool visuals with a nice transition from the relatively normal opening area to the glitchy depths of the rest of the map. I was half-ready to vomit during my playthrough, knowing where the custom textures come from, but when they're not flashing with a seizure-inducing effect, they're actually bearable to look at.
  • Can't exactly complain about the layout. It does tend towards linearity pretty heavily, but it works for the gameplay.
  • While I'm generally not a fan of the map's particular gameplay style, I actually found it surprisingly fun in the first 2 minutes or so. With the map title I gave you, I did have the feeling you'd go for a slaughtermap. The literal bullet hell was surprisingly fun to navigate around initially, but when the Revenants and Cyberdemons got involved, I honest-to-God had to resort to IDDQD. I've seen (and tried to play) my fair share of slaughtermaps, but none were nearly as crazy as this one.
  • The map's performance on GZDoom concerns me ever so slightly. I tested the map in GZDoom 4.5.0 on a fresh new rig with an RTX 3060 in it, and even with the high-end specs, my framerate dropped quite heavily in some areas. The big arena towards the end is the worst offender - at worst, my FPS counter was hitting numbers as low as ~20 (and I didn't even have dynamic lights or any of the other fancy effects on!). And I can only imagine it getting far worse for GZDoom players with less high-end rigs. That's a practically impossible problem to rectify without basically overhauling the map's entire design, though, and I understand if you're not willing to put yourself through that. But GZDoom is a pretty popular source port, so optimizing map performance on it is something you might want to consider in the future.
  • No bugs caught.

1 hour ago, Krull said:

Map name: Mortal Trap

I tested the map in GZDoom 4.5 as well, but unlike @MFG38 I didn't have any performance issues on my 4-year-old PC, even with software rendering. I don't know where this discrepancy comes from though. Maybe some specific rendering settings? I have mine set to basically vanilla. (for comparison, even the low-spec version of Bastion of Chaos was completely unplayable on the same machine).

It's hard to tell which visual glitches were intentional and which weren't. I got some weird HoM effects in places, like between some of the pillars at the cyberdemon fight (only with software rendering). Similarly, the teleporter rooms east of the start are visible in the distance as glitchy towers. Also, all the fence textures in the first area clip through the floor. Assuming that wasn't intended, this happens when part of the texture is underground and the sectors on both sides have the exact same properties. It can easily be fixed by setting the light level of one of the sectors 1 unit higher or lower.

Speaking of those cage textures, I felt like they made that area look very cluttered. In the heat of battle it was really hard to tell if there were still enemies inside, and if there was room to walk in between. Also, I'm not a fan of respawning enemies, but if you need have them I think they should at least get killed once you leave the area. It's a pain getting 100% kills now because you keep having to wait to see if there are more enemies left (it can take a while because the teleport corridors are long).

Having the SGG right next to a supercharge was kind of annoying. I eventually just gave up and picked up both at once even when at full health.

There's a couple of safe spots in the first area, like the secret ledge and below the first cyberdemon platform. They help a lot when you need to let a wave of projectiles pass by or just want to let infighting handle the work. The fight can probably be beaten pretty reliable by abusing those spots.

The first fight in the elevator room seemed kind of trivial with the BFG. I beat it with just rockets since I wasn't sure if there would be more cells and it was more fun that way, but you could also just BFG blast through them.

The pain elementals in lowering elevator were really, really obnoxious. The moving floor means all your projectiles go up and miss, and they could also fly through the fake ceiling.

The wall of cybers is really something. I don't think I've ever seen that many rockets flying by at once. I liked having to move around the room in such a way that the stream of rockets never hit you. However, once some of the revs/cacos started infighting the cybers it turned into crapshoot with stray rockets going everywhere. It's a good thing there are invuln spheres. I also don't really get the pillars. Are they on a timer or does something affect what lowers when? It seemed inconsistent between attempts.

The blue key seems very easy to miss, especially once the room fills up with caco corpses.

You have to hit the switch to kill the cyberdemons before the bars to the next section open, but the gaps are wide enough that you can just walk through them.

When I opened up the map in the editor I noticed that there were some multiplayer-only monsters, but they don't have any difficulty flags set. I've never made maps for coop before, but I think entities still need to have difficulty flags set to show up there.