Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[TIME IS UP!] Literalism - A Boom-compatible CP where we do things by the map title

52 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

I never found the shotgun or SSG, but I did find some shells

I think there's a SSG secret somewhere, but most of the map generally seems to encourage tactical play with Chainsaw.

25 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

(be sure to asign upper, middle and lower texture).

You only need to assign your sky texture (which, fun fact, can be anything! From STARTAN to MIDBARs, anything is possible. But, the resource must have the corresponding texture) in the upper part.

@Shibainumaster damn now that's a lot of resource packs. Anything I should note about load order? I got texture error.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

3 hours ago, Death Bear said:

Map name: Return the Behemoth

Author: Death Bear

Play time: 3-4 mins?

Music: Visionary by James Paddock

Textures: Vanilla

Difficulty settings: No

Coop: No

Deathmatch: No

Description: A short map with big demons and a big gun to take them down. Return those big boys to hell the only way you know how. (You may notice it looks different. My original one ran out of time.) Tested with PRBOOM, DSDADOOM, and GZDOOM, didn't notice anything glaring. Enjoy!

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20210822_002756.png.ec7f70eb39e1efcfccb8c252032916a4.png

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/fkv3euasbpb8v98/DB.RTB3v1.wad/file

I read in your description that you run out of time, and it shows. Your map looks great, but it's really short, and the tech-base aesthetics is a little bland and doesn't really suit the title. That said, the deadline is close, nothing is broken, and the map looks and feels fine, so I'm not recommending any changes. I just expected more after having played some of your previous work. And that's more of a compliment to your previous work than a dis on this one.

14 hours ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

TheMCv1.1.zip

After getting some great feedback I have updated the map with a large amount of changes.

-Extensively and comprehensively updated the lighting.

-Various changes to the texturing and architecture.

-No more forced restarts if you fall off a platform.

-Platforming now requires less precision.

-A few gameplay rebalances.

Awesome improvements! The platforming is still the most difficult bit, especially having to fight the hellknights with the Mancubi shooting you from the distance. But, the map is good now. However, when I teleported into the 'Mancubus Computer', I immediatly teleported out again? I would expect getting to fight them? Or did I telefrag them? It happened in a flash and I was immediately surrounded by AV's and a Cyberdemon so I didn't really have time to check.

The visuals are very dark but the play area's are well lit and designed. Also the platforming has vastly improved IMHO. This has turned from a frustration-fest into a fun compact slaughtermap! Great work!

(also, I was in a better mood playing this version, which helps. Sorry about last time)

@Shibainumaster Right, uhh. There's already a bunch of problems with your submission before I even get the chance to play it - because even in GZDoom, the map refuses to launch. With all of the necessary texture packs loaded, I'm still encountering this fatal error that prevents GZDoom from launching:

Script error, "MAP06.wad:ANIMDEFS" line 72:
Unknown texture BLIP1

But beyond that, there are a couple more issues I discovered upon cracking the file open in SLADE:

• I noticed an ANIMDEFS lump in the .wad file, but no ANIMATED and/or SWITCHES lumps. The thing about ANIMDEFS is that it's a feature exclusive to the ZDoom family of ports, meaning that any animated textures defined in it will not work in any other port(s). And seeing as this project targets Boom-compatible ports, your failure to conform to its feature set is cause for concern.
  • You have an FF_START marker but no FF_END marker, resulting in all of the flat graphics being shown as "unknown" lump types. It also causes the map to not launch in PrBoom+ due to an R_InitTextures error.

I could also talk about you shoving five entire texture packs into the .zip file alongside the main .wad file, but I'm not sure if I have the energy to complain about it.

With all that said, considering how close the deadline is, I doubt you have the time and energy to submit a version of the map that's even playable in the first place, and I frankly don't have the energy to fix all of your mistakes for you either. Bearing that in mind, we have two options here: 1) you withdraw your map from the project, or 2) I reject it. Unless you can prove me wrong and smash together a version of the map that boots up in both PrBoom+ and GZDoom in the time left - not to mention that it works as intended in PrBoom+, because something tells me a good portion of the map would be broken in it due to missing tags and whatnot. Either way, the choice is yours.

Edited by MFG38

25 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Bearing that in mind, we have two options here

Considering that there's about 2 hours left and with the graphical errors I've discovered while playing the map (due to not knowing the correct load order); this is indeed concerning. I hope the author managed to choose the third option.

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

@Shibainumaster Right, uhh. There's already a bunch of problems with your submission before I even get the chance to play it - because even in GZDoom, the map refuses to launch. With all of the necessary texture packs loaded, I'm still encountering this fatal error that prevents GZDoom from launching:

Script error, "MAP06.wad:ANIMDEFS" line 72:
Unknown texture BLIP1

But beyond that, there are a couple more issues I discovered upon cracking the file open in SLADE:

• I noticed an ANIMDEFS lump in the .wad file, but no ANIMATED and/or SWITCHES lumps. The thing about ANIMDEFS is that it's a feature exclusive to the ZDoom family of ports, meaning that any animated textures defined in it will not work in any other port(s). And seeing as this project targets Boom-compatible ports, your failure to conform to its feature set is cause for concern.
  • You have an FF_START marker but no FF_END marker, resulting in all of the flat graphics being shown as "unknown" lump types. It also causes the map to not launch in PrBoom+ due to an R_InitTextures error.

I could also talk about you shoving five entire texture packs into the .zip file alongside the main .wad file, but I'm not sure if I have the energy to complain about it.

With all that said, considering how close the deadline is, I doubt you have the time and energy to submit a version of the map that's even playable in the first place, and I frankly don't have the energy to fix all of your mistakes for you either. Bearing that in mind, we have two options here: 1) you withdraw your map from the project, or 2) I reject it. Unless you can prove me wrong and smash together a version of the map that boots up in both PrBoom+ and GZDoom in the time left - not to mention that it works as intended in PrBoom+, because something tells me a good portion of the map would be broken in it due to missing tags and whatnot. Either way, the choice is yours.

I was able to launch it and play it, but it has some problems, most noticeably with the lost souls. I also don't understand the need to use five texture packs while 95% of the textures are stock textures. The map is also really dark. 

2 hours ago, Shibainumaster said:

Edit: Here's my slaythrough on HMP:
(I stopped recording when I died a couple of times in a row, then finished the map using cheats without recording it.)

The map is quite large, but the gameplay is a bit repetitive. There is also a huge shortage of ammo and health. I berserked basically every demon I could find, punched some imps and Hell Knights, and was still low. After the bridge I found only a single Medkit, no armor anywhere, and I think the only ammo I picked up was from killed enemies. The only weapons you get are the Shotgun and Chaingun, which is okay, because most of the monsters are imps, hitscanners, demons and lost souls, but the fights did start to feel a little repetitive. Some rooms also seemed dead ends with not much purpose.

There are some nice details (marine fell off a ladder!) but also a lot of texture issues, too many to name them all. However, I think most of the problems are in gameplay and the texture packs. If you have the time to fix the texture issues and bugs, throw in a couple of medkits and ammo/shell boxes, some armour, maybe the SSG, and the map can be playable before the deadline. 

Edited by Pistoolkip

Map name: Skeleton Science

Author: NeedHealth

Play time: 10-15 minutes

Music: alphonso - Keepsake Fever.mid

Textures:textures by Dr.Doctor, NeedHealth

Difficulty settings: yes

Coop: no

Deathmatch: no

Description: A short trip in a surreal setting, can you survive the ultimate game of chance?

didnt manage to import the custom textures into my map and some are probably not prefixed with nh_. most should be. Otherwise, the map is functionally complete.

literaism_nhDSTARTFIX.7z

e1- fixed the start

Edited by NeedHealth

Just now, NeedHealth said:

Map name: Skeleton Science

May I know how much expanded and refined is this version? The one I played looks functional enough, and I'm only aware of the new Cyberdemon/Zombieman feature you mentioned throughout this thread.

2 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

May I know how much expanded and refined is this version? The one I played looks functional enough, and I'm only aware of the new Cyberdemon/Zombieman feature you mentioned throughout this thread.

i can't actually remember most of the changes I have made since  the last version :-P. But generally I added some doodad, fixed a few bugs.

Finally got around to setting up UDB on my new PC and updating my own map. Changelog:

• Texture/visual tweaks particularly in the crusher area.
  • Modified the first (non-secret) lift to be consistent with the other lifts in the map.
  • Added a proper exit room with some additional monsters in it.
  • Implemented difficulty settings.

mfg_literalism.zip

2 minutes ago, Krull said:

Here's a newer version of my map. Changelog:

• Added a crusher to the manc/arachno teleporter room
  • Added monster blocking lines around the opening area
  • Prevented the player from exiting the map early
  • Multiplayer-only monsters should work now
  • Tried in vain to fix the rendering errors seen in GZDoom

Unfortunately, so far this map seems to be incompatible with GZDoom. There is a discussion thread on the topic over at ZDoom Forums but it's not looking promising that it will be fixable. 

Mortal Trap RC2.rar

I don't think we can include it if it doesn't run under the most popular source port. That's a bitch. Sorry man. 

1 hour ago, Pistoolkip said:

I was able to launch it and play it, but it has some problems, most noticeably with the lost souls. I also don't understand the need to use five texture packs while 95% of the textures are stock textures. The map is also really dark. 

Edit: Here's my slaythrough on HMP:
(I stopped recording when I died a couple of times in a row, then finished the map using cheats without recording it.)

The map is quite large, but the gameplay is a bit repetitive. There is also a huge shortage of ammo and health. I berserked basically every demon I could find, punched some imps and Hell Knights, and was still low. After the bridge I found only a single Medkit, no armor anywhere, and I think the only ammo I picked up was from killed enemies. The only weapons you get are the Shotgun and Chaingun, which is okay, because most of the monsters are imps, hitscanners, demons and lost souls, but the fights did start to feel a little repetitive. Some rooms also seemed dead ends with not much purpose.

There are some nice details (marine fell off a ladder!) but also a lot of texture issues, too many to name them all. However, I think most of the problems are in gameplay and the texture packs. If you have the time to fix the texture issues and bugs, throw in a couple of medkits and ammo/shell boxes, some armour, maybe the SSG, and the map can be playable before the deadline. 

Thanks for playtesting, i'll try to fix all the stuff that i did wrong.

12 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

I don't think we can include it if it doesn't run under the most popular source port. That's a bitch. Sorry man. 

It does technically run in GZDoom and is beatable as far as I've been able to deduce. If it's just rendering errors that show up, I'm more than fine with including the map, even at the risk of a non-optimal visual experience in GZDoom.

Just now, Krull said:

@MFG38 is this true?

You needn't worry. The map only needs to work mechanically in GZDoom, which it does - the visual errors are unfortunate but don't bar the map from being included.

28 minutes ago, Shibainumaster said:

@MFG38 i withdraw the map, i'am not able to finish it for the deadline, thanks for allowing me to try to conribute.

Your map seems rather interesting gameplay-wise. Hope you can release it standalone soon!

~~~ TIME IS UP! ~~~

On my behalf, thanks to all participating mappers for showing interest and contributing towards this project. Bit of a shame that some mappers failed to make the deadline, but 26 maps isn't bad all things considered. The map list in the OP has been updated with the proper slots.

Edited by MFG38

Alright, the map list in the OP has been updated with the proper slot for each entry - I just removed the entrants that didn't make the deadline and moved the following slots back accordingly. I'll be compiling the final mapset over the next week or so. Participating mappers are welcome to post further updates to their maps in the meantime, but new entries won't be accepted from here on out.

Once an RC1 build is good to go, I'll most likely make a separate release thread for it, but I will post an announcement for it in this thread as well. Hope you're all looking forward to it!

21 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Once an RC1 build is good to go, I'll most likely make a separate release thread for it,

I suspect that mappers only have whatever time they have until RC1 to polish up their map, or map updating is still acceptable after this period?

Just now, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I suspect that mappers only have whatever time they have until RC1 to polish up their map, or map updating is still acceptable after this period?

Depends on how many more bugs get caught. But map updates will be accepted until I consider the mapset to be in a stable enough state to call it final and announce it as such.

@MFG38 I just realized, the secret I implemented at the south-western corner of the main part of my map, close to the stony elevator, allows the player to loop all around the map out of bounds. Is it okay if you put some impassable lines at its sides? My laptop is still broken . m.

5 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Make a small sector outside of the playable space.

Add the custom sky texture to one of the linedefs of that sector, as a regular wall texture (be sure to asign the upper, middle and lower texture). <- only upper texture is needed

Give that same linedef a number 271 (Transfer Sky Texture To Tagged Sectors) and a unique tag (I typically use tag 99 but you can use any number you wish).

Now, give all the sectors that have a F_SKY1 ceiling that same tag (99 or your chosen number).

Now, the custom sky texture should appear instead of the default sky.

In case, you already used one or more tags in the outdoor sectors (for example, because its a lift or teleporter destination):

Just make an additional linedef with number 271 and custom sky texture; and give that one the tag of the lift or teleporter destination. Basically each sector where you want the custom sky to appear must have one linedef 271 assigned to it.

Suggestions for Himalaya type skies:

SNOSKY01.png.479a6a6d6c9ba25b46faa1b27338cb6b.png

SNOSKY01 by Mechadon from Mechadon's box 'o skies, download here: http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/meks-box-o-skies/

SkyBox20.png.698646351c7384e8aaededbfcda09fc4.png

SkyBox20 by Eradrop, download here (many more variations of this in the pack):

Thank you!

13 minutes ago, C3ntralPr0cessing said:

@MFG38 I just realized, the secret I implemented at the south-western corner of the main part of my map, close to the stony elevator, allows the player to loop all around the map out of bounds. Is it okay if you put some impassable lines at its sides? My laptop is still broken . m.

Noted. I'll take care of it.

28 minutes ago, Shibainumaster said:

@MFG38 i withdraw the map, i'am not able to finish it for the deadline, thanks for allowing me to try to conribute.

Your map seems rather interesting gameplay-wise. Hope you can release it standalone soon!