Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[TIME IS UP!] Literalism - A Boom-compatible CP where we do things by the map title

@MFG38 Thanks for the feedback! I'll think through how to add said pressure to the arena. And I thought I remembered there was an iwad level that did something like this; glad you caught that. I'll have to go back through TNT at some point (and finally finish it haha).

@Biodegradable Thanks! Always a pleasure!

@Pistoolkip Thanks for the pt and feedback, and even the compliment of past work (at least in comparison). And you right. I didn't want to turn in an unfinished work, an absolute piece of crap, or nothing at all. Even with the deadline extended twice, Life has a way of kicking you in the honey pot sometimes. The theme of my map wasn't hard for me, but after spending everyday during the entire project working on the OTEX map, 90% wasn't going to make it. I still had my final fight to place/ voodoo doll, bugfixing/ port-testing, and removing all of the extra patches from the OTEX wad I was pulling from (which I still do not know how to do). Not making excuses, just saying, I tried to take the theme of my map (Big fat monsters, BFG, returning to "start") and tried to see what I can do. Most of my past work is 6+ hours of build time and 10 (mostly 20-30) minutes long, 200+ monsters. It was nice to try something compact, and I feel like for what it is, it works. I've enjoyed contributing to MFG's projects, but I can say this wasn't my best work in the whole of almost 9 months I've been mapping publicly. Hopefully next time around it'll be different, as I tend to take great pride in the work I do, and DEFINTELY appreciate all the pt'ing that has helped with my growth. And MFG definitely will take credit on providing the basis for the original map, once I release it separately (because I WILL finish the damn thing.) Thanks again for all the work you've done for pt'ing this project and provide valuable feedback for all of these maps. I appreciate it, and it's clear your work doesn't go unnoticed.

7 minutes ago, Death Bear said:

@Pistoolkip Thanks for the pt and feedback, and even the compliment of past work (at least in comparison). And you right. I didn't want to turn in an unfinished work, an absolute piece of crap, or nothing at all. Even with the deadline extended twice, Life has a way of kicking you in the honey pot sometimes. The theme of my map wasn't hard for me, but after spending everyday during the entire project working on the OTEX map, 90% wasn't going to make it. I still had my final fight to place/ voodoo doll, bugfixing/ port-testing, and removing all of the extra patches from the OTEX wad I was pulling from (which I still do not know how to do). Not making excuses

Yeah, that absolutely happens. I'm glad you were able to finish something, even if it's short, it's playable and looks good.

8 minutes ago, Death Bear said:

Thanks again for all the work you've done for pt'ing this project and provide valuable feedback for all of these maps. I appreciate it, and it's clear your work doesn't go unnoticed.

You're welcome, and I look forward to try to returning to the *real* Behemoth (of a map) soon!

3 hours ago, MFG38 said:

~~~ TIME IS UP! ~~~

On my behalf, thanks to all participating mappers for showing interest and contributing towards this project. Bit of a shame that some mappers failed to make the deadline, but 26 maps isn't bad all things considered. The map list in the OP has been updated with the proper slots.

I suppose this serves me right for reading the deadline as 11:59 PM and not 11:59 AM

crap I should've known I wouldn't be up in time to beat the deadline. I fixed a softlock and a few other minor things, but this is mostly the same as v2.

Had lots of fun making this! Thanks @MFG38 for hosting and thanks to all the playtesters

leviathans-vault_v3.rar

3 minutes ago, thelamp said:

crap I should've known I wouldn't be up in time to beat the deadline.

There should be no problem in updating your existing map! In case I am interpreting your comment correctly lol.

9 hours ago, MFG38 said:

SUGGESTION: The music needs to be replaced with a MIDI. See this post.

You can remove the MP3 from the file, the default Midi works just as well in my map, Thank you for the feedback! I decided to make a fully redesign of the map in my freetime.

even though my map is a Level 13 map, i would consider maybe re-ording it to be in the earlier parts of the Full project because of it's lack of difficulty, or you can wait for me to release the redesign I'm currently working on, I'm fine with you keeping the original in the project or scrapping it entirely, i think there's a fair amount of stuff i need to fix and get better at

Edited by Morpheus666

This was fun. Congrats to everyone who managed to get something put together in time, and thanks for hosting this MFG! 26 maps is certainly no small feat. I'm looking forward to playing through the final set (best of luck compiling, MFG... given the breadth of different resources used here, I don't envy your task ahead lol).

It looks like I'm late on quite a lot of things! Let's get started with feedback nonetheless - I'll try to make it as short as possible.

On 8/20/2021 at 6:46 PM, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

Mancubus Computer (2nd Version)

LITERALISM: YES, and it's too fat.

ACTUAL REVIEW: I decided to give your updated version a spin, and I must say this is a very interesting map.

The visuals overall are some sort of surreal techbase mixed with hell? I dunno, but I like the theme going on here, with the lighting source mostly comes from candles and torches (I'm a sucker for abstract visuals, so good job on these!).

Bonus points for the music - it captures the hectic pace of the map perfectly (and also for its origins!). Which leads me to my next point - gameplay. This I found rather entertaining - a solid mix between non-combat elements (platforming with huge platforms and plenty of rooms for fixing your mistakes, should you accidentally fuck up) and well, hectic combat. There's almost always enough resource to outwit every chaos that happen on the level.

Some comments:

• The first actual combat arena (the one with a secret (?) berserk pack in the center) has a switch triggering the next path to progress. Problem is, due to the lack of lighting, I had considerable problems finding this path - this can be made a little bit brighter by the use of torches or more subtly; candles.
  • The latter half of the final arena (after you got out of the Mancubi Computer) seems to be highly RNG-reliant - with enemies rampant all around the place and a lot of Archviles teleporting in. While I'm glad those teleport destinations are static and concentrated on a central spot, the potential enemies you have not killed earlier (thanks to the lack of an useful room-clearing weapon) can make getting to the exit really hurtful. Any particular tips to beat this one consistently?

8/10, I guess. I wish the computer can do something more useful other than killing people.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:15 AM, Morpheus666 said:

The Goat's Hideout

LITERALISM: YES. Now that's a raw goat.

ACTUAL REVIEW: 

This is an interesting entry also. I might repeat points I made earlier in Discord, so sorry if you found some of this rambling redundant :p

Overall, it's good for what it is - a feat even, for what you've pulled off when the deadline is near. Visuals are pretty basic - mountainous areas mixed with the titular vault, which seems to be techbase-influenced and apparently is just a really big maze. I would imagine the vault has some sort of resting quarters or something. The height variety overall isn't much (the deadline again being a pretty major factor), but again has some standouts, such as the vault's interior and the cavern part with switch (seen in 1:39 in the gameplay).

You said earlier of your dissatisfaction of the map's emptiness, which I actually found to be one of the stronger points - as it goes well with the overall progression + basic visuals above and the accompanying music. It's good, short and sweet, and is more appropriate if the map is placed in a very early slot. The loophole progression is particularly notable as well, revealing new stuff to do and new paths to travel on previously explored area.

...Most of what I want to said about critical feedback have been thoroughly said by Pistoolkip, so I will refrain about commenting again to avoid redundancy :p

Here's my gameplay where I ended up playing this map hudless. 7.5/10 - need more time in the oven, but is solid as is.

On 8/22/2021 at 12:31 PM, Death Bear said:

Return the Behemoth 

LITERALISM: I'm hesitant to say YES, because I can't find who to return the giant to. By my guns? NO, because I want to do business civilly. 
ACTUAL REVIEW:

Back to a full proper techbase! One of my favorite submissions so far. Visuals are clean and on point, with strong elements (support beams, barred windows, mudded outdoors metal tiles) that really add considerably to the map's consistency feel. 

As for gameplay and layout, I have to say that it is quite fast-paced, but not too fast to the point you'd want to tear your hair out. Progression is straightforward (no keyhunting at all!) and so are most encounters, which generally are challenging setpieces in tight quarters. The fight with the titular Behemoth at the end is fairly interesting, as it mostly emphasizes on movement, reflex and who to shoot. I must admit, I had more fun playing this map semi-pacifist though, the map is more entertaining that way.

Some suggestions:

• The support beams in the area seen in 1:24, while very nice aesthetically, make the gameplay a bit too easy, basically acting as really resistant covers. Any chances to trim those sectors down from 4 to 1-2? I imagine the visuals won't look worse because of this.
  • BFG is acquired rather late into the map, and there's only 2 demons stopping you from getting it. Since there's quite a bit of energy cells and rockets, perhaps make more enemies (Revenants, Hell Nobles, or maybe just a lot of imps) teleporting from 2 sides?

That's all I can think of. 8/10, I would prefer a more noble way of returning the Behemoth, but I suppose this isn't too bad.

Anxiously waiting for the RC1 release by the way, congrats to everyone involved; and to those that didn't make it, I wish you better luck next time!

1 minute ago, Pistoolkip said:

@MFG38 are you building the MegaWad yet? Or are you waiting for some more playtesting and bugfixing?

Not compiling just yet, but I intend to start shortly.

Trying to get around to playing some of the maps I missed.

On 8/22/2021 at 12:16 PM, NeedHealth said:

Map name: Skeleton Science

literaism_nhDFINAL.7z

I think the map is broken. The starting location seems to be where a voodoo doll should be.

8/20/2021 at 1:46 PM, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

TheMCv1.3.zip

Map Name: The Mancubus Computer

I didn't play the earlier versions of the map, but this one was fun and I couldn't find any issues to comment on. I'm grateful for the barriers during the platforming sections that keep you from running too fast and falling off.

8/22/2021 at 7:31 AM, Death Bear said:

Short map, but very nice detailing on the environment, especially the first area. It does feel a bit anticlimactic even with a cyberdemon at the end, since you're given a BFG and tons of ammo. It would probably help if you had to work for the BFG (like if it was where the red key is).

@MFG38 Just a suggestion, if you do another community project where people are assigned a map slot, you may want to put in the OP if people should put their maps in slot 01 or in their designated slot. And if it's the latter, people should probably put the map number in their submissions to make it easier to playtest them. Now that the map order has changed a lot of submissions are in a slot that doesn't match the number in the list, and it takes a bit of work to find them.

3 minutes ago, SCF said:

@MFG38 Just a suggestion, if you do another community project where people are assigned a map slot, you may want to put in the OP if people should put their maps in slot 01 or in their designated slot. And if it's the latter, people should probably put the map number in their submissions to make it easier to playtest them. Now that the map order has changed a lot of submissions are in a slot that doesn't match the number in the list, and it takes a bit of work to find them.

Yeah, point taken. It never occurred to me to tell people that they should all just make their maps into the MAP01 slot in case the final map order changed. But that is something I'll definitely keep in mind in the future. I enjoy hosting these community projects and don't intend to stop anytime soon. I had fun with this concept myself, so there's almost inevitably going to be a Literalism 2 down the line.

@MFG38 I made a small update to my map. Worked out some bugs and increased player pathfinding somewhat. Also made the final battle a little more interesting. I hope that's okay.

Edit: the updated file is in my original post.

Edited by Pistoolkip

@MFG38 Same here. Some rebalancing and a few bug fixes. I dug out an old PC that works well enough as a substitute for now.

Edit: Even tinier update, just a little bit of rebalancing and some visual fixes.

Edited by C3ntralPr0cessing

3 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Compilation is underway!

I still havn't gotten around to fix the voodoo doll error someone meantioned. Sorry about that.

2 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

I still havn't gotten around to fix the voodoo doll error someone meantioned. Sorry about that.

No worries. You still have time to get an update in.

Okay, I did a tiny but important bit of rebalancing. I'm sorry I'm making so many small updates, I promise this is the last one.

The compilation process of Literalism is (finally) reaching the finish line and I'm about to put together the readme files. One is going to be the standard readme using the /idgames template, the other will essentially be information about each map, as described in the submission "forms". For the latter, I'm more or less copy-pasting the information - on which note, I hereby request that all participating mappers double-check that the information in the submission forms is 100% correct. Should some information be incorrect, just let me know and I'll correct it accordingly.

4 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Should some information be incorrect, just let me know and I'll correct it accordingly.

I added difficulty settings to the second version of my map, so the submission form for when I posted the initial version of the map is incorrect because of that. The rest should be correct.

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

The compilation process of Literalism is (finally) reaching the finish line and I'm about to put together the readme files. One is going to be the standard readme using the /idgames template, the other will essentially be information about each map, as described in the submission "forms". For the latter, I'm more or less copy-pasting the information - on which note, I hereby request that all participating mappers double-check that the information in the submission forms is 100% correct. Should some information be incorrect, just let me know and I'll correct it accordingly.

i fixed the start in my map, it is in the same post as before.

Mine is correct, the last update is the final map version.

EDIT: By the way, when is the release?

1 hour ago, Pechudin said:

By the way, when is the release?

Provided all goes well, early next week.

Mine looks good except for the coop section, which should just read "player starts only" instead of  "player starts only atm."  I was out of town for a bit and forgot to add multiplayer items and monsters as well as some other tweaks.  But I'm happy with the map as is so that's fine.