Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Dude

[Remaster WIP] Newdoom Community Project

47 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Wish this treatment would happen to lots of other old classic wads out there :p

On the subject of this wad, @Doom_Dude do you have the xINFO lumps for this all sorted out? I was going to write a set up for the original release in the past, and it likely would automatically fit this remaster too.

Other than the map lump groupings, everything is in order. Unless you meant something else..

Are there any plans to remaster NDCP2 after this?

I loved that mapset, and loved the textures used there.  However, for some reason, it's filed in my mind as one of those Doom projects that "felt like it shouldn't exist", because it felt very surreal (which isn't to say it's bad).  Many of the design choices didn't seem to make much sense (like the female marine hologram in random places, unless that was a mascot of some sort) or the (what I assume are) DeHackEd monsters which behaved kind of weird (that Kamikaze Caco that didn't fly but zipped pretty fast and blew up in your face, and that black-n-white Marine which was more or less an overglorified turret, 'cuz it never seemed to change direction when it started firing nor cared to stop).  Again, I couldn't tell you if these were bad choices... but more or less weird.

If anything, if it were to happen, I'd be more curious to see what would change this time around.

1 hour ago, DoomKrakken said:

Are there any plans to remaster NDCP2 after this?

It's not something that is on my to do list at this point. I have two other megawads to finish which includes the Vilecore Remaster and Vilecore 2. Plus a slew of other, unfinished single maps and a couple sets of small, bite-sized maps I want to complete.

14 hours ago, DoomKrakken said:

Alrighty. :)

Wait a sec, there's a Vilecore 2, or there's a Vilecore 2 in the works?

It's in the works and has been for years now. It'll be 37 maps for GZDoom in UDMF. After we get the NDCP Remaster done, I'll be putting the final touches on the Vilecore Remaster for next year and then, I'll be able to wrap up work on Vilecore 2. It's all coming together.

Progress.  The futuristic-type area was a little too minimalist, heh. 

caverns_remaster2.png

Also, it wasn't very easy to see out the window to see what the switch does, so the floor need raising a bit.  I may make further tweaks.

22 hours ago, Lupinzar said:

Is that a 2 unit height difference in the trim around the grate? That ends up looking super good.

2 on the outside, but 3 on the inside.  :D

Aliotroph? wasn't able to finish up his map so he sent it to me. Some of the changes are his with a few tweaks by me...

Map 10: Processing Station 10-29:71

oaWTQX8.jpg

eMVdg8P.jpg

Edited by Doom_Dude

20 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Aliotroph? wasn't able to finish up his map so he sent it to me. Some of the changes are his with a few tweaks by me...

Map 10: Processing Station 10-29:71

oaWTQX8.jpg

eMVdg8P.jpg

Aliotroph? was a real stand-up bloke. I hope he's doing ok.

8 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Aliotroph? was a real stand-up bloke. I hope he's doing ok.

Yeah, he's doing well. He's usually knee deep in the code. :)

On 11/24/2022 at 2:01 AM, Doom_Dude said:

Yeah, he's doing well. He's usually knee deep in the code. :)

Is he still rockin' the Winona avatar for a chance?

On 11/22/2022 at 1:56 PM, Doom_Dude said:

oaWTQX8.jpg

I don't like that tech trim at the top, there has to be a better way to incorporate that texture into the scene.

7 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Maybe something like this?

cbu2OhG.png

Maybe? I feel like that original comp texture is so iconic to the original screenshot... what if parts of the walls were partitioned off with trim and  sectors to expose different areas with the computer motherboard texture instead of the original being a generic blanket texture covering the whole room?

On 11/30/2022 at 3:07 AM, TheMarlboroMan said:

Is he still rockin' the Winona avatar for a chance?

Hey, I haven't seen him use that since Newdoom.

I think that feels more appropriate and a better representation of the original map's vibe. That texture is too iconic to abandon.

MAP08, just about done now. Expect chaingunner and revenant festivities.

ndcpre_08_01.jpg

ndcpre_08_02.jpg

ndcpre_08_03.jpg

ndcpre_08_04.jpg

ndcpre_08_08.jpg

ndcpre_08_09.jpg

ndcpre_08_10.jpg

I've been working a lot on Mystic's map 15: City Of Lost Souls lately. I'm adding different buildings and cutting up the squareness as much as possible. Adding things like newly designed lamp posts and adding in cross walks, man holes, a few alleys, alcove, more interiors, fountains, gates, etc....

Roughly the same area... b4 and after.

gyGc0qg.jpg

I worry a little that the first shot feels more like an entirely new location instead of a remastered variant of the original... Gone is the brutalist look of the first building. Second is clearly the same, just more pleasing to the eye.