Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caffeine Freak

Dead Space Remake

Dead Space is officially back, it seems. I'm psyched about this, even given what little we currently know. It uses the Frostbite Engine, unlike the original games which used the Godfather game engine. Sidenote: I specifically remember there being rumors of the cancelled Dead Space 4 using the Frostbite tech, so it's funny to know that's what they're using here. Before we continue, it's important to note it is *exclusively* next-gen: PC, Xbox Series X/S and PS5.

First, the teaser trailer:

And here's a discussion with two of the devs. A few key points:

1. They have stated there will be no microtransactions.

2. They have access to all the original assets for reference. Of particular interest here is one of the devs says they have been able to look at all of the 'original collisions' of the maps in DS1, and have been able to examine, among other things, certain level design iterations that were still contained in the map files, but ultimately not used in the shipped game. To clarify though, this isn't an HD remaster; they are NOT re-using old assets from the original games.

3. The devs have been using a continual feedback system, communicating with some fans of the original games that they brought on to give them direction and reactions to things as they develop in the game. 

I'm always skeptical of EA, for obvious reasons. But if what these two devs are saying is true, it seems they're taking good care of what they've been given here.

Edited by Caffeine Freak

2 minutes ago, Caffeine Freak said:

It uses the Frostbite Engine, unlike the original games which used the Godfather game engine.

Good stuff, the Frostbite Engine is supreme, one of my favorite game engines along with IdTech, Source and the unreal engine 2 and 3.

Also, ¿THE ORIGINAL USES THE GODFATHER ENGINE? that's crazy, The godfather game was also good! but a bit long for my taste.

I hate to say this, but this is a game sponsored and published by EA, so it is bound to suck. Not because of the developers, but of the ill-minded management.

Announcing the remake of Dead Space 1 all of a sudden smells like an ass-hole move to me. EA ruined and finally shut down the original developer Visceral Games, denying them to develop a fourth installment of the Dead Space series.

Now, many years later, the original core developers of Dead Space reemerge with a new company and announce a game with close bonds to the Dead Space universe, named The Callisto Protocol. It's obvious that EA is getting quite nervous and doesn't want to give up on this market niche without a fight.

EDIT: updated Youtube link to replace disabled video stream with a working example (in 4K resolution)

Edited by deus-ex

I don’t know how to feel about this. I really liked the first Dead Space game. Dead Space 2 was ok, but then 3 I didn’t even play. I watched a friend play it and it looked like shit.

I’m a bit confused about this. Is this a straight up remaster, or is this a remake with added features and new areas and stuff like that? I just don’t know why I’d play this compared to the original. Also the fact that the original uses The Godfather engine makes it more special. I think the only other game to have used The Godfather engine was The Simpsons Game (the 2007 one).

The only remake I didn’t mind was the FF7 remake cause that felt more like a retelling and the gameplay was different. I wish companies would stop with the remakes. It’s just laziness at this point. At this point I’m wondering when Bethesda will remake Doom 3. I feel like that’s gonna happen at some point seriously.

Edited by Spooner5020

2 hours ago, deus-ex said:

I hate to say this, but this is a game sponsored and published by EA, so it is bound to suck. Not because of the developers, but of the ill-minded management.

Announcing the remake of Dead Space 1 all of a sudden smells like an ass-hole move to me. EA ruined and finally shut down the original developer Visceral Games, denying them to develop a fourth installment of the Dead Space series.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised if the game ended up sucking, EA can ruin some amazing franchises. Be it sucking the life out of the developers until they die or going full corporate microtransaction money hungry style.

But they did allow some developers remaster Command and Conquer and many fans found it to be sincerely done well. Maybe their remakes don't get micro managed by management as much.

2 hours ago, Li'l devil said:

Dead Space is just a rip off of Doom 3.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Certainly, you haven't played Dead Space. Dead Space teaches Doom how to properly do a game in the horror genre, with jump-scares that actually work.

4 minutes ago, PSXDoomer said:

Being a big fan of the Dead Space trilogy I can definitely say that I am super pumped for this. It's been too long!

I second that! :)

Very skeptical about this, especially since EA was the one that brutally murdered this franchise in the first place by... well, being EA.

3 hours ago, Li'l devil said:

Low hanging fruit.

3 hours ago, Li'l devil said:

Uhh, no it isn't?

5 hours ago, Li'l devil said:

Look I thought that in the first hour or so but after a while it comes into its own.

Very annoyed that this won't be DS4, though. DS3's DLC ended on a bullshit cliffhanger.

1 hour ago, june gloom said:

Very annoyed that this won't be DS4, though. DS3's DLC ended on a bullshit cliffhanger.

I'm not sure if Visceral was about to resolve that cliffhanger, though. For the fourth game, it was planned to travel in a spaceship that you would constantly upgrade by entering other spaceships/-stations and salvage valuable resources and parts, of course not without a fight and wet underpants. :)

I can only hope that they are remaking the original game to test the waters and see if there is a market for Dead Space 4.

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

I can only hope that they are remaking the original game to test the waters and see if there is a market for Dead Space 4.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Also because doing a remake of DS2, or even DS3 would be quite in a different ballpark. And I'm not sure whether they would want to go the whole length there.

@deus-ex Come to think of it, I wonder why they are even remaking the original rather than simply remastering it.

As far as I am concerned, the original Dead Space has aged quite well and I am not sure what is there to remake.

@Rudolph

I think because Dead Space has aged well indeed, the developers thought there's only so little improvement to gain with a remaster. And most certainly the fans of the game wouldn't welcome a plain remaster for that very reason. A remake of Dead Space however is a bold undertaking, it has to stay true to the look and feel of the game if they want to succeed. They have to understand the formula of Dead Space and be willing to go the extra mile(s) wherever and whenever necessary.

From a technology point of view, the Frostbyte Engine which will be used for the remake is a force to reckon with. So at least we can expect a huge leap forward in the graphical sector. If they manage to transfer not only the visuals but also the feel of the game, this could become the revival of the Dead Space universe, with hopefully more games to follow.

There are both good and bad examples of such attempts. For example, the remake of XIII disappointed, and no efforts were made trying to turn the tide. Most probably the publisher rushed the game development and didn't want to invest more time and money. And then there is the awesome Mafia Definitive Edition.

Technically XIII received a remake. Screenshot from the developer's homepage:

01.jpg.687b80d385e6dcdf4ddec15a4fdb7136.jpg

Remaster = You use the same game resources and same game engine and add high-res textures and models, maybe new high-res sounds and music, and a good measure of bug fixes for the old engine.

Remake = You recreate the game in a new engine and rebuild the resources like levels, textures, models, sound from scratch.

For example, for the Mass Effect Legendary Edition, the first game was realized as a remake in order to get it visually and gameplay-wise on par with the two sequels. ME2 and ME3 however were "just" remastered. This is why in comparison ME1 has seen the most improvements and changes.

Edited by deus-ex

What I'm *really* curious about is, what is their next step assuming this remake sells incredibly well? I'd assume a sequel would be a strong possibility. What do they do? Continue on the same path and remake Dead Space 2 in much the same vein? They could remake the entire franchise if they chose that route. Or, do they diverge from the path of the original series at that point and do a sequel, but take the story in a totally different direction from the 2011 game?

If the DS remake sells well enough to merit a sequel and they choose to pursue the first avenue, they might have an interesting dilemma to confront, should they arrive at the place where decide to remake the third game. On the one hand, fans would expect them to shy away from the mistakes the third game made and focus more on the strengths of the series. On the other hand, if they go *too* hard in that direction, some people might be upset if the game discards some of the genuinely fun new additions DS3 brought to the series (ex: the weapon crafting system). 

This is all very far off speculation at this point, though. We'll first need a better idea of the degree they want to replicate the original game.

The proposed pitch for Dead Space 4 looked fun and I hope they make that game after the remake.

Looks promising, I'm more interested in Callisto Protocol than a remake of a game I've already finished many times before.

I am SO buying this. I hope this paves the way for a DS2 remaster (which is IMO a superior game.) 

Callisto Protocol looks SICK though. 

I'd rather support developers than reward EA's ability to hoard intellectual property. With few exceptions, I've mostly become an indie gamer anyway.

a bit disappointing that its only a remake rather than a new entry into the series but still exciting that its getting revived nonetheless!

> Kill off the studio that made this franchise

> 3's DLC ends on an insane cliffhanger

> EA's let's Bioware give us an entire 100+ hour package of the remastered Mass Effect trilogy. Mass Effect 1 was 2007.

> EA wants to remake Dead Space on its own, which holds up better than like any other 2008 game ever

Well EA gonna EA. I'm guessing this is a test to see if the franchise can be viable again, after all the brand damage EA did to it themselves. Maybe they noted how successful Resident Evil's been again lately and GOOD single player games. If it does well, I hope they just go straight to 4 then.

Got all achievements on the Xbox version of Dead Space, then triple dipped for it across the PS3 an PC as well. Definitely one of the best games ever in my book. I still like it more than 2 personally. I'll play a remake but it seems pretty unnecessary and weird to me. So I didn't have much reaction to this news. Still burned by how they killed off Visceral.