Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barefootstallion

DRAGON SECTOR - REMAKE

We have been sitting on the idea of this for a long time.  We previously developed DRAGON SECTOR using Risen3D.  It was a great deal of work, leaving us pretty deflated and disappointed when the community didn't pick up on it anymore than it did.  We were told, by more than one source, that this was in large part, due to the port we had selected - Risen3D -, which hadn't been adopted by the community much, itself.

Well, we decided to finally bite the bullet.  We're remaking DRAGON SECTOR for the GZDoom port.  And more specifically, designing it for optimal experience using Project Brutality.

Because frankly, I love Project Brutality, and just want to show it some of that love right back. ;)

DRAGON SECTOR - REMAKE will be released one map at a time.  Unlike in our previous version, we released only after a full set of ten maps were done.  That took five years.  Five looooong years.

In addition, in keeping with Project Brutality's kickass playstyle, were designing the maps to match.  They're going to be more ostentatious than ever, bigger, with less of a horror/lost-base feel, and more of a "I'm taking this damn base back from these hellspawn and making it mine!" feel.  Project Brutality is fun.  Dragon Sector is going to be fun!

We've only got map one done for now.  It can be downloaded at: https://www.moddb.com/downloads/dragon-sector-remake

When you're ready to launch, turn up your volume.  The first map has a heartpounding track you're gonna want to more experience than just hear.

Now, just to get you salivating a little bit, here's some pictures of what it looks like!

Download!  Enjoy!  And not least of all, leave feedback!

dsscrn01.jpg

dsscrn02.jpg

dsscrn03.jpg

Also, an important note:

Dynamic lights have to be turned on.  Without them, the map will be unplayable.  It will be too dark to see.

Also, be sure to read the info file, included in the zip.  It has a few other suggestions to help improve playability, and not least of all, some important accreditations.

Have fun!

Edited by Barefootstallion

Just bumping this thread. There's been a lot of work done on this. Map02 is now done, and it's a doozy!

Do check it out, and comment, if you like.

This map needs some serious hardware power to run. I would love to try it but it gets bogged down by lots of things that I am unable to diagnose. Welcome to Lag City and its Suburb of Freeze city.

8 hours ago, kalensar said:

This map needs some serious hardware power to run. I would love to try it but it gets bogged down by lots of things that I am unable to diagnose. Welcome to Lag City and its Suburb of Freeze city.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. If I might ask, what's your PC specs? It'll help us figure out where the bottlenecks might be, and if there's something we can do about it. But, yeah, there is a ton of stuff going on.

On 8/16/2021 at 1:09 PM, kalensar said:

We reuploaded it in pk3 format. pk7 was proving to be way too slow. May be why you were having trouble.

1 hour ago, Daryn said:

We reuploaded it in pk3 format. pk7 was proving to be way too slow. May be why you were having trouble.

Thank you much! Gonna go test run it now!

edit--

Okay so IT RUNS!!!! Looks like it was the PK7 issue. Runs pretty good on my potato comp even. The level of detail is really impressive. This would be a cool map to use with weapon mods.

One BIG DOWNER! on Hurt Me Plenty Difficulty the Multiplayer Flag of Respawn Player absolutely kills a Single player run from its intended goal because the Big Doors at the beginning cannot be reopened to get back inside the base. That is literally the only bug I have found on a casual HMP run. I died to the Golden Caco while trying to berserk punch it to save ammo.

Edited by kalensar : needed to add info

I played the first couple of levels of the original Risen3D version of Dragon Sector and was very impressed.  It had a really strong atmosphere and a strong aesthetic.  However you're not incorrect, Risen3D is a rather idiosyncratic source port so that likely would have hurt the accessibility of the mod.

I'm excited to try out the new version, and while I'm not a PB fan, it's nice to see a mapset specifically made for it.

8 hours ago, kalensar said:

One BIG DOWNER! on Hurt Me Plenty Difficulty the Multiplayer Flag of Respawn Player absolutely kills a Single player run from its intended goal because the Big Doors at the beginning cannot be reopened to get back inside the base. That is literally the only bug I have found on a casual HMP run. I died to the Golden Caco while trying to berserk punch it to save ammo.

@Barefootstallionadded a fix for this for the next update. You'll get a checkpoint when you open the doors. Not sure if he'll make the doors operable again after entering the base, but an autosave works for now.

7 hours ago, Bauul said:

I played the first couple of levels of the original Risen3D version of Dragon Sector and was very impressed.  It had a really strong atmosphere and a strong aesthetic.  However you're not incorrect, Risen3D is a rather idiosyncratic source port so that likely would have hurt the accessibility of the mod.

I'm excited to try out the new version, and while I'm not a PB fan, it's nice to see a mapset specifically made for it.

We hope you'll give it a go. It's been lots of fun putting it together so far!

19 hours ago, kalensar said:

And fixed!

I added autosave checkpoints to both maps.  One of them is just as you open the inner doors of that big, first airlock.  So if you die now, before you reach another checkpoint, you respawn back in the airlock, just as its inside doors are about to open!

On 8/19/2021 at 1:31 AM, Bauul said:

I sincerely appreciate it, Bauul.  Coming from a fellow long-time Doom-er (heh, rhymes with "Boomer?" :D), it means a lot!

But yeah, I know everyone has their preferences for what makes a great Doom map, but for me, it has always been the suspension of belief that was always most important.  So I love to make maps that are atmospheric, and atmospheric so that they are immersive, and so it comes easier to suspend belief.

Risen3D at the time, was the only port which was supporting hi-res textures.  I knew there might have been others, but Risen3D was the first I'd come across.  Then to top that off, I started getting help from one of its biggest supporters and then later, from its developer, himself, Graham Jackson.  So, I poured all of my love into it.

I still play those maps on occasion to this day, enjoying them just as much now, as when I first made them.

But alas, it is as you said, Risen3D wasn't a very widely accepted port, so that set of maps, as beautiful and immersive as they were, pretty much got to hear crickets, then just pretty much gather dust, where the community was concerned, over the years.  It was pretty dejecting, and put me off of map-making for a long time.

But...!

GZDoom to the rescue!

From some years of ennui with map-making, to full-on back into the thick of it again!  And loving every second I get to devote to it!  Then to top that off, my best friend, Daryn, with his mind being what it is, is able to help me bring to life just about any idea I can come up with.  Can you say canned joy?  If such a thing existed, they should sell it!

Heh!

Either way, hah! If you're not a fan of Project Brutality, the maps can be played with just Brutal Doom.  Or for that matter, with straight up GZDoom, too.  I've tested them with Russian Overkill, too, and they run just fine.  Great even.  One guy over on ModDB on the Dragon Sector download page, said it ran great with Call of Doom, too (a Call-of-Duty-esque weapon pack made for GZDoom).  So whatever your poison or preference, the maps can be played in whichever way you like.  I'd love for you to play them.  Getting to hear the opinion of a fellow long-time Doomer would mean a lot!

So yeah, at any rate, thanks for the reply.  And here's to looking forward to what you think of the maps!

Great mod guys! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you guys have up your sleeve as you continue this awesome project. 

hi guys. Downloaded and attempting to play, but I get this error message:

'Script error, "dragon-sector-remake-v0.54.pk3:zscript.zsc" line 1: The file you are attempting to run requires a newer version of GZDoom.

A version with ZScript version 4.11.0 is required, but your copy of GZDoom only supports 4.10.0. Please upgrade!'

I've looked only for 4.11.0 but I can't find a download for that version of GZDoom anywhere, and when I check Doom Wiki's page showing all historical versions of GZDoom it only goes as far as 4.10.0

Any advice for how I can get it working..?

Thank you!

On 7/5/2023 at 11:23 AM, Bergy10 said:

hi guys. Downloaded and attempting to play, but I get this error message:

'Script error, "dragon-sector-remake-v0.54.pk3:zscript.zsc" line 1: The file you are attempting to run requires a newer version of GZDoom.

A version with ZScript version 4.11.0 is required, but your copy of GZDoom only supports 4.10.0. Please upgrade!'

I've looked only for 4.11.0 but I can't find a download for that version of GZDoom anywhere, and when I check Doom Wiki's page showing all historical versions of GZDoom it only goes as far as 4.10.0

Any advice for how I can get it working..?

Thank you!

i had that same issue 6 months ago, but they packaged the whole game with the current version of gzdoom 4.11. its a large download over 800mb as of right now. it comes in a zip file. ive had no issues with that download and it plays great. the addon file will crash, but if you select the "file" tab the full packaged version with the latest update is posted. hope that helps

Sorry that I missed this. But, it looks like the answer came through without me.