Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zombie_ryushu

Hexen: Land of the Serpent Riders

My team members, would like to come forward with our announcement of our revamp and restructuting of Land of the Serpent Riders, an idea started by Taurustar, that myself, and about six other people, put together as an ongoing project, and conclusion to the Neutral Side Route to Argonian Lord's A new World.

This is not an addon to Taurustar's Mod, it's a complete and total overhaul. Textures, the enemy roster, the script, the plot, and everything have been redone, to be in PK3 format.

I am happy to announce an update to allow for Support of Wrath of Cronos 3.1.4! This allows for a bunch of new features, and we can even have players on Android now!

Notice: Certain multiplayer bugs have required the modification of Wrath of Cronos itself. These are Programming errors that were fixed in Wrath of Cronos 3.1.4

Wrath of Cronos Fixes and Multiplayer!

https://allfearthesentinel.com/zandronum/download.php?file=woc_v3.1.4-fix1.pk3

Download Link for Land of the Serpent Riders for Wrath of Cronos 3.1.4!

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=lsr_woc20-assets.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=lsr_woc30-actors.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=lsr_woc20-music.pk3
https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=lsr_woc20-maps6.pk3

Doom 2and FreeDoom 2 Compatibility Patch
https://allfearthesentinel.com/zandronum/download.php?file=lsr_woc30_nothexen.pk3

Load Order for Single player! (Hexen Mode)

zandronum -iwad hexen.wad

-file woc_v3.1.4-fix1.pk3
-file lsr_woc20-assets.pk3
-file lsr_woc30-actors.pk3
-file lsr_woc20-music.pk3
-file lsr_woc20-maps6.pk3

Load Oder for Single player (Doom 2 Compatibility mode. Use only if you do not have access to Hexen IWAD or only have FreeDoom)

zandronum  -iwad doom2.wad

woc_v3.1.4-fix1.pk3
woc_nothexen.pk3
woc_v3doompatch.pk3
lsr_woc20-assets.pk3
lsr_woc30-actors.pk3
lsr_woc20-music.pk3
lsr_woc20-maps6.pk3
lsr_woc30-nothexen.pk3

This mode is Highly experimental! It is designed to remove the requirement of purchasing Hexen to play this mod. The game may have problems or be impossible to finish in this mode. This mode does not allow for playing as Flynn Taggart (the Doom Guy) from Doom.

Download Link for Land of the Serpent Riders for Wrath of Cronos 2.0C (Unmaintained! Do not Use!)

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=lsr_woc20-actors.pk3

(Retained for Compatibility.)

Download link for Wrath of Cronos 2.0C (Unmaintained!)
https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=wrathofcronosr2cfix.pk3

Features:

All Blood Textures have been removed, and replaced by Textures from "Baker's Legacy" The monsters are Wrath of Cronos reworks of Monsters from Realm667.
The Sound Track has been completely replaced. Alot of the music is remixes of Hexen 1 and Heretic Tracks from Luke Jansen, used with permission.
Some music however, is from Creative Commons sources such as Peritune, MediaCharger, and Myuu. The music is in Ogg/Vorbis format.
Sound effects, which were often rips from Heretic, of things like have also been replaced by Creative Commons Sound effects of Demon Lords Laughing, or Bells ringing, in Ogg/Vorbis format.

The return of Multiple Routes, and Elite Monsters in Wrath of Cronos

As with A New World, there will be voice acting, and multiple endings.
DownStreamChaos returns as Burai the Dragon Prince, just as he did in A New World, and Scourge of Viscerus. There are some new voices for the Shrine Maidens, and Corvus himself.
Some enemy types will have elite/powered up versions of enemy types that can spawn at random locations. So far we only have completed one of these. More are planned.
There are to be no Hexen 1, or Heretic monsters used in this mod. Bosses are also custom too.

New Allies

Not only are the enemies new, but the Allies such as Burai's Shrine Maidens, who have ne voices, and sound effects, along with Mage versions, and Sentry Turret versions of the Shrine  Maidens. On Corvus's team, there are the Crimson Knights of Parthoris.

Better more functional Maps

The maps and scripts have so many bug fixes, adjustments, and improvements, its unreal. If I were to try and list a change log it would be pages, and pages of stuff that was corrected, or upgraded. There are still more problems. but bit by bit, as we go through everything, more stuff works better or is fixed.

Release and Attribution

This is to be considered an Open Source Production. GPL for the source code to the Programming bits, or creative Commons for the content such as Sprite work, music, or sound effects. A Directory called Credits will be maintained inside the PK3 File crediting all authors and sources we know about. Anyone who has any wish to be credited is free to come forward.

Due to a recent patch, it should no longer be required to start the mod with 'map map00' to start on the introductory level.

Edited by zombie_ryushu

4 hours ago, zombie_ryushu said:

FreeDoom Compatibility is being worked on.

isnt there a free hexen project? i remenber hearing about it a long time ago

It's always nice to see a Hexen mod every once in a while.

Here is some new updates for the Thysis levels. (You only play these if you go with Burai and not Corvus.)

Mazera levels have been somewhat overhauled too. Things are being redone to not look so Hexen 1ish and give the mod a purely distinct feel with Resources from Realm667

FreeDoom Compatibility is being worked on too. The issue is, there are still two Blocker Puzzles: The Bell, and the planets. These puzzles need to be replaced before FreeDoom Support can become a serious possibility.

Edited by zombie_ryushu

So how does the mod look in FreeDoom Currently? to be honest? not bad. It has been a very helpful idea in terms of giving maps their own distinct look. The prior developers that worked on this made everything look the same really. Too many of the same Twined torches, similar textured levels, over and over. in FreeDoom, the places where Hexen 1 Textures have still been used are clearly marked.

We can then use a spread sheet and generate equivalencies in LibreOffice Calc.

There are still missing textures we don't have equivalencies for. Also, Sky boxes don't work right. But things are coming along.

Another plus is, the custom light sources like torches now act as flickering light sources. This makes the whole mod feel more alive.

Screenshot_Doom_20210806_073916.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210806_073853.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210806_074041.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210806_074200.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210806_074219.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210806_074418.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210806_074426.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210806_075118.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210806_075143.png

After some discussion with Kalinka, its been decided that further development on Hexen: LOTSR is going to be stalled.
The reasons for this, is there are too many technical faults in the project combined with the fact that we cannot get qualified technical people to work on this. We slowly lost all support and now there are just too many bugs and technical hurdles for us to fix everything we need. We really wanted to put fourth the best effort we could, but it is time we faced reality. We are unable to finish this project with the resources we have.

Remaining Downloads will remain.

I completely understand your frustration. I can't even get Wrath of Chronos to even work properly because it has too many pieces required, so this project would not even be playable by someone in my position. Its nice to have cool mods, but its a royal PITA( pain in the attic*) when it takes 15 pk3 to run properly. I know its easy on windows, but even reading the BAT file for order wasn't helpful for this Linux user. Same thing applies to the Diablo mod for Heretic because of WoC. Major shrug

Shame, sounded interesting.

ANW mostly works fine in Walpurgis, so if you want to convert it to more simple gameplay that might be an option, if its WoC's huge weirdness that's the issue?

On 10/28/2021 at 3:44 AM, eharper256 said:

Shame, sounded interesting.

ANW mostly works fine in Walpurgis, so if you want to convert it to more simple gameplay that might be an option, if its WoC's huge weirdness that's the issue?

No, see initially we had Argonian Lord and a few others working with us, and they dropped out of the project. There have been a few fixes and updates and work on some of the levels, but the fact is that design complexity of the levels, scripting, and flow are a big part of the problem here.

The Mod was intended to run entirely custom Assets, with no use of Hexen Assets at all. We are short some things we need. At the start the mod was full of Hexen 1 Assets, that has since changed. Loads of custom objects, enemies, quest items, and sound effects were introduced.

Also, we lack the knowledge on some facets of ACS to make the levels behave the way they should. A Good example of this, is the fact there is a vehicle level as part of the mod.

The worst part of this, is the mapping design problem. We have many maps that are just flat out broken or unfinished and lack a good map designer to help fix them up or finish them. For instance inescapable death traps. In short, it's too much work for us to do with what we have. In addition my family has other priorities right now.

We went looking for help from other consultants, all over Discord. Often they wouldn't even download and look at what we had.

On the subject of ANW.

Just running  WoC with ANW is actually not enough.

ANW has support WADs created by my group early on, back in 2016 and 2017. They add content, voice acting, levels, and an additional ending. (Burai, Lakshmi sidequest and enhanced bosses.)

In addition, it makes the Heretic "Custom" monsters "count" in ANW To experience and leveling.

Edited by zombie_ryushu

On 10/26/2021 at 3:33 PM, kalensar said:

I completely understand your frustration. I can't even get Wrath of Chronos to even work properly because it has too many pieces required, so this project would not even be playable by someone in my position. Its nice to have cool mods, but its a royal PITA( pain in the attic*) when it takes 15 pk3 to run properly. I know its easy on windows, but even reading the BAT file for order wasn't helpful for this Linux user. Same thing applies to the Diablo mod for Heretic because of WoC. Major shrug

I am a Linux User.

This entire project was developed on Linux.

DoomSeeker goes a long way to getting this stuff working. But as long as you have a working build of Zandronum 3.0.1, this mod should work. Here is a command line example.

zandronum -iwad doom2.wad -file wrathofcronosr2cfix.pk3 -file wrathofcronosnothexenpatch.pk3 -file wrathofcronosdoompatch2.pk3 -file woc_v3databaseaddon_rc3fixv2.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-assets.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-music.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-maps5.pk3 -file sm4bbgorev3.pk3 -file lsr_woc20_nothexen.pk3

for Doom 2.

For Hexen.

zandronum -iwad hexen.wad -file wrathofcronosr2cfix.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-assets.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-music.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-maps5.pk3

47 minutes ago, zombie_ryushu said:

I am a Linux User.

This entire project was developed on Linux.

DoomSeeker goes a long way to getting this stuff working. But as long as you have a working build of Zandronum 3.0.1, this mod should work. Here is a command line example.

zandronum -iwad doom2.wad -file wrathofcronosr2cfix.pk3 -file wrathofcronosnothexenpatch.pk3 -file wrathofcronosdoompatch2.pk3 -file woc_v3databaseaddon_rc3fixv2.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-assets.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-music.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-maps5.pk3 -file sm4bbgorev3.pk3 -file lsr_woc20_nothexen.pk3

for Doom 2.

For Hexen.

zandronum -iwad hexen.wad -file wrathofcronosr2cfix.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-assets.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-music.pk3 -file lsr_woc20-maps5.pk3

I appreciate the care shown, but zandro hates my hardware. 

I might try on lzd or gzd though because that command line helps a lot

Zandro complains quite loudly by not even firing up. Not a big deal because I don't like multiplayer anyway. 

As far as on topic goes, Its no wonder nobody will look at it due to it's complexity involved. Might as well just build an entire original new game where its all fresh assets being pulled together. Then compound that with how disjointed WoC is to get running and you just have a project that requires a niche set of talents and familiarity that a lot of people, me included, just do not have. Vehicles? Not even touching that with a long pole. 

Truthfully, just salvage what you can and tuck it away until some interest or knowledge gets renewed. 

2 minutes ago, kalensar said:

Zandro complains quite loudly by not even firing up. Not a big deal because I don't like multiplayer anyway. 

As far as on topic goes, Its no wonder nobody will look at it due to it's complexity involved. Might as well just build an entire original new game where its all fresh assets being pulled together. Then compound that with how disjointed WoC is to get running and you just have a project that requires a niche set of talents and familiarity that a lot of people, me included, just do not have. Vehicles? Not even touching that with a long pole. 

Truthfully, just salvage what you can and tuck it away until some interest or knowledge gets renewed. 

Post Errors. Debugging on Linux is something I do alot.

Kalinka added some new custom Torch types to LOTSR. This was done for a few reasons. We felt bad this project stalled.

- This replaces more Hexen 1 Assets with Realm667 Assets that have extended features like lighting sources. In addition to better Fire Animations. There has been an ongoing effort to replace all Hexen 1 Assets in the mod's maps with custom ones either produced in house, or generated with Realm667's terms.

- This fixes more Missing Asset problems when running in Doom 2 Mode. What you are seeing is Doom 2 Mode.

Screenshot_Doom_20211107_041311.png

3 hours ago, NaliSeed said:

Wasn't this released like a million years ago? 

Never officially. It's an open source project. Anyone can download this project and play it, but it's not finished.

There was initially a group of people working on this, that included artists and voice actors. Now it's just me, Kalinka, and one other person. There is alot both Kalinka and I have large gapa in our mapping and modding knowledge. We sort of squeak by little by little getting things done. But we need more people that know how to fix problems.

Here is a list of things that need work:

- Corvus Alignment levels are mostly done.

- Corvus Alignment Burai Boss battle isn't finished. It cannot be triggered by the player without Puke Commands. The Cutscene and Boss battle mostly work.

- Burai Alignment Boss battle vs. Corvus isn't in place yet.

- Burai Alignment Thysis levels aren't finished.

- Airship Landing Section of Map26 isn't done.

- Airship Engine shutdown triggers are not in place yet.

- Corvus Alignment Sailing to Blackmarsh Vehicle level needs overhaul.

- Inside Lakshmi's painting level needs to be finished.

- Neither Ending actually works. Eidolon's final boss level is finishable, and you can fight and destroy Eidolon, but nothing happens when you do.