Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

A return to Doomworld and an open thread for any questions regarding TNT Revilution development and whatever else

As a former member (mapper) of both the TNT projects and as a member of this community, I'm glad to see you back and with a positive attitude. I wish more past members would make a return like that. 

Maybe this is a sign that Devilution might get released soon?

YOOOOOOOOO

I am very glad to see you back, you were a pleasure to speak to and map for in the earlier age of the TNT projects and I will never forget how welcoming you were to new mappers such as myself.

I am not credited, so poor thread. :P

But jokes aside, welcome back in your final incarnation, formerly Blockboy. May your deeds contribute greatly to the community.

I'm glad you are finally back, pal!

Now more people will be able to learn about your love for TNT, a love that brought us together

<3

Hope all things go well at last :)

Wow great to see you back!!!  I've said it before but I love what you and Megamur and dobu did with that map fragment of mine, how y'all turned it into one of the more striking maps in Revilution.  You were always good at taking my maps and bits of maps and making them way more awesome <3

It sounds like you and I disappeared from the Doom community and then came back at around the same time, transposed by maybe a few months.  I was sorry to miss the release of TNT Revilution but you and everybody involved should be insanely proud with what is a really wild and cool and TNT-esque (except more polished lol) set of maps.

I guess I have no questions.  Just wanted to say welcome back in your first and final(?) form

Man, I had NO idea you were bLOCKbOYgAMES, and I am so glad you switched back to Kyka - the sole reason being that the “inverse capslock” effect inexplicably triggers me.. Well, it’s also nice knowing you weren’t gone this whole time!

I always wondered where Kyka went, and had occasional guilt over leaving Revilution as I did; as many likely know, my work testing Doom maps and mods and managing Revilution stuff led to me getting a job offer with Relogic, the developer of Terraria. That ate my days constantly for over a year, and I was forced to choose one to focus on. By that point, the early development and concepting of Revilution was done; we had a story lined out and three episode themes, a full 35-track soundtrack, a huge chunk of maps, and I had one hell of a cool Map 30 concept left in Kyka and Megamur's care, along with potential concept art of a final boss from both T.V and an artist I knew from the Terraria community, so I felt it was alright if I left it up to the rest for a while; I was never a mapper afterall. I was going to do the initial dehacked/mapinfo work, and maybe the level name graphics, but I never once got time.

My computer blew up and I was pretty much forced to abandon Doom for years afterward, as the only PC I ever had access to was a crappy laptop that somehow could barely run anything that wasnt an internet browser. I was forced to watch from afar as Revilution changed hands twice, as Megamur and Kyka both disappeared, seeing the project that Kyka had spearheaded using my ideas and concepts fall away and change. I always wondered if me leaving had caused this, as after the Devilution split, I was the one that got Kyka and Megamur out of a depression rut by coming up with a plan for all those maps we had lying around, I was the spark that ignited Revilution into a full project with heart and soul. (Even though I always wondered if I had the right to be on the team, not having any mapping skills)

When Revilution finally released, I wasn't actually able to play it, as it brought up too many tumultous memories and feelings. A large chunk of the maps were gone again, the team I worked with, minus Eris, wasn't around anymore, and only Map 12 and 20 seemed to still follow my original plan. I hear those maps are two of the best in it, so that at least makes me feel relieved that my concept ideas wasn't just hot air. The soundtrack too, seems to be rather well-loved, although the final version has some changes; at the time I left, the soundtrack was comprised of midis by Bucket, Viscra Maelstrom, Eris, Eradrop and UltimateDoomer666. Jeremy Doyle's midis werent part of it, and we'd never even talked to him at that point :p

Anyway, its good to have Kyka back; he was the first person on the forum to ever take me seriously and teach me that I had value here.

Ha, I never would have guessed you were blockboy either! Welcome "back" my friend, I kind of lost track of Revilution, but I do enjoy your posts! I hope I did a good job helping you find a new toilet!

It's a pleasant surprise to know that blockyboygames turned out to be Kyka. Welcome back Kyka!!!

Even though I was not a DW member when you were active, I am a huge fan of TNT: Revilution. Infact, Revilution is one of my top 10 favorite megawads. So thank you for being involved in development of one of my favorite mapsets :)

Thanks so much for the welcome and the kind words everyone. Humbled and grateful. 

What follows is my replies to your comments. Put them in spoiler tags because otherwise the post is huge.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Uni said:

As a former member (mapper) of both the TNT projects and as a member of this community, I'm glad to see you back and with a positive attitude. I wish more past members would make a return like that. 

Maybe this is a sign that Devilution might get released soon?

@Uni Thanks for the welcome! Did you work on TNT when I was involved? I don't recognise the name, but it could be a different account? heh not that you owe me any explanations, just curious. Thanks again.

And I have no idea when Devilution is being released. I have never been involved in any leadership position in Devilution, but just contributed the original texture pack, and work on a lot of the maps. Probably they have advanced things far beyond my initial work.

3 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

YOOOOOOOOO

I am very glad to see you back, you were a pleasure to speak to and map for in the earlier age of the TNT projects and I will never forget how welcoming you were to new mappers such as myself.

Hey @mrthejoshmon. Really appreciate the kind words! Your map is one of the maps that is on the list for TNT Forever. Take this as encouragement, but had I stayed on to complete Revilution back in 2015, your map would have been in. Do you mind if I do a little work on it now? Nothing too major. :) Thanks again for the huge welcome. Hope you are well.

3 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I am not credited, so poor thread. :P

But jokes aside, welcome back in your final incarnation, formerly Blockboy. May your deeds contribute greatly to the community.

Thank you @Redneckerz haha I don't know if I have deeds to contribute now, other than encouraging and liking stuff. I seem to have lost all of my mapping ability, not having done it for years. I can work on existing maps, but making new ones? The creativity isn't there. I joke that I have a new hobby now... staring at DoomBuilder grids. :)

3 hours ago, Obsidian said:

sup foo

The OP. I trust that is sup enough. :D Hope you are well my man. 

2 hours ago, P41R47 said:

I'm glad you are finally back, pal!

Now more people will be able to learn about your love for TNT, a love that brought us together

<3

Hope all things go well at last :)

@P41R47 It has been great working with you the last few weeks. Thanks so much for being gracious and transparent. I look forward to hopefully contributing in a meaningful way to TNT.

1 hour ago, StupidBunny said:

Wow great to see you back!!!  I've said it before but I love what you and Megamur and dobu did with that map fragment of mine, how y'all turned it into one of the more striking maps in Revilution.  You were always good at taking my maps and bits of maps and making them way more awesome <3

It sounds like you and I disappeared from the Doom community and then came back at around the same time, transposed by maybe a few months.  I was sorry to miss the release of TNT Revilution but you and everybody involved should be insanely proud with what is a really wild and cool and TNT-esque (except more polished lol) set of maps.

I guess I have no questions.  Just wanted to say welcome back in your first and final(?) form

@StupidBunny Great to see you around too! I didn't see you for years, even when I lurked occasionally. Your map conceptually really was one of the strongest in the set. I am glad we were able to bring it to life! Welcome back yourself. And yes I am proud of the work we did. I keep seeing some of the textures from Revilution appearing in other random projects, which is nice. I hope you have played Revilution for yourself. Even though I didn't finish it, and all my maps got thrown out lol, I still did a lot of mapping and other work that contributed to the final product.

49 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Man, I had NO idea you were bLOCKbOYgAMES, and I am so glad you switched back to Kyka - the sole reason being that the “inverse capslock” effect inexplicably triggers me.. Well, it’s also nice knowing you weren’t gone this whole time!

haha @Doomkid you had no way of knowing. I really didn't want to be reminded of that whole time for years after, but I did like to lurk occasionally. And play some extraordinary mapsets. But it just felt like the right time to 'come out' as it were. And yes the inverse capslock triggers me too. Like when people say 'orientated' instead of oriented. grrr. I appreciate the sentiment from one of the elder statesmen like yourself. Cheers. 

27 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

Whoa, I'm glad to see you back Kyka!

Thanks so much @Hitboi Nice hat. I used to play a little TF2. I sucked with the scout. Jus' sayin'.

45 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Amazing and really true words...

Anyway, its good to have Kyka back; he was the first person on the forum to ever take me seriously and teach me that I had value here.

@Devalaous Sorry for cutting your post, but my post is already getting too long. I really appreciate your post. You of all people deserved an extraordinary mapset and  for me to see it through, and I tried and persevered for a long time past perhaps what I should have. Between what was happening here, and IRL a breakup with the love of my life. Those things just kind of broke me, and I couldn't deal with it.

I am thrilled that you were able to break into being a professional in the gaming industry. Perhaps you discovered some strengths while working on Revilution, but you proved you had them in abundance by breaking into the real games industry. Well deserved. I even saw your name in the credits for terreria. Few manage that.

For revilution, you were not a mapper, but you did literally everything else. You wrote the story. You organised the OP and kept track of things there. You organised the MIDI tracks, which took a lot of doing. Playtesting and creatively working and structuring the maps. You provided passion and commitment and energy. You me and Megamur worked so so well together. Literal Dream team. Great communication and synergy. I have worked professionally in creative environments for a long time, and this was as good as anything I saw in that field. Great stuff, and great to still see you here. Thanks for being forgiving, I know it really disappointed you that we didn't finish it.

23 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Ha, I never would have guessed you were blockboy either! Welcome "back" my friend, I kind of lost track of Revilution, but I do enjoy your posts! I hope I did a good job helping you find a new toilet!

Thanks so much dude! And yes I have no idea what the toilet is all about, but I don't regret asking and being on the list! Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated.

23 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

It's a pleasant surprise to know that blockyboygames turned out to be Kyka. Welcome back Kyka!!!

Even though I was not DW member where when you were active, I am a huge fan of TNT: Revilution. Infact, Revilution is one of my top 10 favorite megawads. So thank you for being involved in development of one of my favorite mapsets :)

@ReaperAA I am genuinely humbled. It wasn't ultimately me who saw that project through to a conclusion, and what it finally became was more thanks to the people who followed me, people like Eris_Falling and Jaws in Space, but I drove that project for years, with equal leadership from Devalous and Megamur. And so much great input from so many mappers. Thanks so much for the welcome too. Very grateful. 

Edited by Kyka

46 minutes ago, HavoX said:

Welcome back, Kyka!

Sorry @HavoX missed your comment. Thanks so much for the welcome. Really appreciated. Hope you are well.

Because I'm not a veteran Doomer I know you better as Blockboy, but I recognize the name Kyka from the credits of TNT Revilution (a great mapset!). Welcome back! Hope you've been enjoying the latest works of the Doom community. Well, if you were honest about that as Blockboy, I'm sure you were. "TNT Forever" sounds like a really fun project as well, hope that ends up exceeding expectations.

Hello Kyka & welcome back to Doomworld. I look forward to working on TNT Forever with you & hopefully it'll end up a bit closer to your vision for TNT 2 that what Revilution ended up being.

19 minutes ago, Kyka said:

@Uni Thanks for the welcome! Did you work on TNT when I was involved? I don't recognise the name, but it could be a different account? heh not that you owe me any explanations, just curious. Thanks again.

Uni is SFoZ911, the person who made Revilution Map01.

@KykaI was just kidding about Devilution, as it still has not been released yet.

Yes actually we did worked together on Revilution, I made the first level and I remember we exchanged some feedback back and forth. I only have fond memories of working on it back then. I also should still have a map in Devilution although I'm not sure if they're going to use it or not. Maybe they replaced it with something better.

1 hour ago, Kyka said:

Hide contents

Hey @mrthejoshmon. Really appreciate the kind words! Your map is one of the maps that is on the list for TNT Forever. Take this as encouragement, but had I stayed on to complete Revilution back in 2015, your map would have been in. Do you mind if I do a little work on it now? Nothing too major. :) Thanks again for the huge welcome. Hope you are well.

As far as I am concerned everything you did to that old map was an improvement, go ahead and edit to your hearts content!

So, another TNT aficionado, eh?

A shameless plug but I'm making a megawad (hopefully it will be that, lol) that it's an reimagining of TNT Evilution called 'TNT Goes Boom!'.

If you check it out, you could give me your thoughts on it. So far, there are only 11 maps playable.

Thanks again for the welcome guys. My replies to the above  comments are below, in spoiler tags, so as to not have a comment the size of Revilution's development timeline.

Spoiler

10 hours ago, northivanastan said:

Because I'm not a veteran Doomer I know you better as Blockboy, but I recognize the name Kyka from the credits of TNT Revilution (a great mapset!). Welcome back! Hope you've been enjoying the latest works of the Doom community. Well, if you were honest about that as Blockboy, I'm sure you were. "TNT Forever" sounds like a really fun project as well, hope that ends up exceeding expectations.

Thanks so much @northivanastan, I know I said this on your thread, but I was very impressed with how you ran that project. Tight, well communicated, honoring of others. All the good things that managing a project should have. And yes this year in particular really seems like a bumper year for projects and just working done on Doom in general. Covid influence perhaps? But I would more put it down to this: As this community becomes more and more welcoming and well run, more people are going to be drawn to it. And more people = more talent. Thanks again for the kind words and the encouragement.

10 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

I miss that mohawked imp so much.

@NuMetalManiak Thanks so much. haha yes. I remember someone made an image and posted it on DOomworld years ago, probably like 2011. And I liked it so much that I cropped it and used it as an avatar from 2011 to 2015. I knew who did it then, but I've no idea who it was now. I would love to find out, but trawling through a year of different threads to find out who it was doesn't seem practical or even really possible. But huge credit to whoever was the original artist. May they live  a long prosperous life. I appreciate my avatar being missed. I do. Thank you.

10 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

Hello Kyka & welcome back to Doomworld. I look forward to working on TNT Forever with you & hopefully it'll end up a bit closer to your vision for TNT 2 that what Revilution ended up being.

Hi @Jaws In Space Thanks so much for the welcome. You were actually a sizeable part of me deciding to return to Kyka. P41R47 mentioned to you that I was back and he said you replied with 'if it is him..." which is totally fair enough. You had no way of knowing one way or the other. But I thought for the sake of transparency, it would be better to return to being kyka, to remove any doubts, especially if I was gonna come back and potentially work on projects and such.

Really well done on seeing Revilution through to a conclusion. That would have been hard for you and @Eris to sort through the mess left after my departure, so huge credit to you both. I am such a perfectionist, and irl I am quite used to running creative projects, but I wanna say publicly that I have no desire to take over this project from anybody and am happy for you and P41R47 to run things. I have been working on my old revilution rejected maps that were leftover from those days, making them more 'tnt' and less 'goddamit kyka frustrating lol.' I am aware that the flow of good gameplay wasn't then, and probably still isn't, my greatest strength.

Once I have worked through those maps I will send them to you and P41, and we will see what happens from there. Thanks for the invite to be involved. I didn't just assume I was involved just because I was in the past, so it is good to be officially on board, from both you ahd P41R47. I think we can make a great mapset.

lastly thanks for the clarification regarding SFoZ911. 

11 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Welcome back!

Thanks essel. I know a few times you and I didn't, shall we say, see eye to eye, but I have always held you and your work in very high regard and continue to do so. I genuinely appreciate the welcome. Thank you.

10 hours ago, Uni said:

@KykaI was just kidding about Devilution, as it still has not been released yet.

Yes actually we did worked together on Revilution, I made the first level and I remember we exchanged some feedback back and forth. I only have fond memories of working on it back then. I also should still have a map in Devilution although I'm not sure if they're going to use it or not. Maybe they replaced it with something better.

Hi @Uni Yes of course I remember SFoZ911. Wow. Yeah you were great to work with. And that map 01. Thouroughly deserving of the opening spot in Revilution. 

Hey ummm, serious note for a sec. Would you mind finding out if they are using that map in Devilution? I have read that they are very near to completion. So they would probably know by now if it is in or not. If they are not using it, then would you mind giving us permission to use it. If it was half as good as Revilution's map 01, then I feel it would fit right in with TNT Forever. :) Any thanks again for the welcome, and thanks for your contributions to Revilution. Did you also make some textures? I have vague memories of that being the case, though I could be totally wrong. :)

10 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

As far as I am concerned everything you did to that old map was an improvement, go ahead and edit to your hearts content!

@mrthejoshmon Done. I really like that map. Probably not much will change, the only thing I would really do is perhaps change a few textures to make it feel more 'tnt'. Otherwise, design and gameplay was really unique and interesting. It actually was one of my favorites in the set. It just felt unique, and story driven as well. As much as  Doom map can be story driven at any rate. Thanks again for the welcome.

8 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

So, another TNT aficionado, eh?

A shameless plug but I'm making a megawad (hopefully it will be that, lol) that it's an reimagining of TNT Evilution called 'TNT Goes Boom!'.

If you check it out, you could give me your thoughts on it. So far, there are only 11 maps playable.

@The_SloVinator

@P41R47 mentioned this mapset to me only recently! And yes I am looking forward to it. Don't apologise for a little hustle regarding your work. Totally fine. I will get to it when I am able. :)

Also @Kyka (god it feels weird tagging that name after so long) make sure you contact 40oz if you can, he also missed you and your maps, and he's not part of these forums anymore.

11 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

Ah. *Drops some Revilution trivia for the thread*

Map 1 was from the beginning of planning, going to have a lightly cinematic starting area based on TNT Map30's ending area/bossback, which would give an early look at the 'villain' we thought up. It was going to be a near exact replica of the BOSSBACK screen, leading back into a ruined hall that had crumbled to reveal a teleporter out. Without Boom though, there was no way to do the blue sky.

This idea never made it into the final release, as we not only never acquired blue-eyed IoS textures, but we never really got to relay these ideas to @Uni. Since the music for the level still plays the TNT Map30 melody, it was an idea we had early on. Shame we didn't communicate it better.

The blue-eyed icon of sin was a concept we wanted to expand on as a direct sequel to Evilution; the blue eyes was a sign of a different force that was going to be an active menace in the campaign. If you saw a certain kind of blue lights in the level, it was supposed to show that the big bad was present and watching you; you were likely going to walk into a big trap. We wanted to expand on the TNT feeling of themes and places feeling more real than classic Doom 2 by giving the levels a more distinct atmosphere, and with a 'villain' shown only through a few textures, the levels would hopefully feel more alive and hostile. Map 14 was going to be primary reveal of this proposed villain, with a spooky map that lures you right into a big trap with the textures on display for the first time. Map 12 being so creepy as an episode opener was infact a leadup to this. Like a lot of our plans though, we never got to the point the textures were made, and the plans didnt translate well with the ownership changes, so they were dropped.

@Devalaous this is certainly true. How did we lose that idea? That was really a strong idea, and probably wouldn't have been that hard to implement. I remember doing perhaps a dozen different 'eye' graphics myself for it, but we didn't use them in the final for whatever reason. If you have ever played System Shock 2 there is a moment where you finally meet Shodan, and all the walls just fall away and it is just you and this psychotic AI, in a room, sealed off. I saw it like that.

[edit] also if anyone knows how to get in touch with @40oz, that would be very cool.

46 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

The blue-eyed icon of sin was a concept we wanted to expand on as a direct sequel to Evilution; the blue eyes was a sign of a different force that was going to be an active menace in the campaign. If you saw a certain kind of blue lights in the level, it was supposed to show that the big bad was present and watching you; you were likely going to walk into a big trap. We wanted to expand on the TNT feeling of themes and places feeling more real than classic Doom 2 by giving the levels a more distinct atmosphere, and with a 'villain' shown only through a few textures, the levels would hopefully feel more alive and hostile. Map 14 was going to be primary reveal of this proposed villain, with a spooky map that lures you right into a big trap with the textures on display for the first time. Map 12 being so creepy as an episode opener was infact a leadup to this. Like a lot of our plans though, we never got to the point the textures were made, and the plans didnt translate well with the ownership changes, so they were dropped.

1 minute ago, Kyka said:

@Devalaous this is certainly true. How did we lose that idea? That was really a strong idea, and probably wouldn't have been that hard to implement. I remember doing perhaps a dozen different 'eye' graphics myself for it, but we didn't use them in the final for whatever reason. If you have ever played System Shock 2 there is a moment where you finally meet Shodan, and all the walls just fall away and it is just you and this psychotic AI, in a room, sealed off. I saw it like that.

Interesting enough, CPD a project released last year, has that same premise.
And it do it pretty good.

So now in retrospective, it would been just amazing to saw it on the TNT sequel. :D

I'll post some more development stuff later, I believe some of it is still lying around but in hard to find spots.

I'm not sure what to say. Welcome back Kyka, great to see you're ok and it's super cool to see you return. I'm really glad you like Revilution, I thought it turned out really great and that Jaws did a grand job on seeing it through when I couldn't hack it as a leader (again), but there was always a part of me that felt bad about how we culled a lot of your work, because that seemed so against the point of the project, it seemed like a mirror of what happened with TNT2.

At the very least, we got to keep MAP12. Transduction is a masterpiece, personally I think dobu really understood what episode 2 was meant to be about and took the map even further in that direction. It's like a little window into the early plans for the project, and it's the map from Revilution that people tend to talk about the most. I remember those early days, often talking with you and Devalaous about what we wanted Revilution to be. Transduction, and how well it was received, tells me that those plans didn't go to waste.

As for that MAP14 idea though; I believe I was the one who was making the map itself, but as everyone knows there's only like a 1% chance of me finishing any map that I start so it wasn't to be. All that's left are these screenshots which I think were actually from two separate attempts.

Spoiler

jXD5LrQ.pngbhC8wWQ.png

I did find a different map in a TRCP-14.wad on my mediafire, dated 23 November 2014. It's just two areas and I have no recollection of making them, though I assume it was me. It's quite possible this was the start of the second attempt in the previous spoiler, and I just never uploaded a newer version...

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210725_052755.png.83a88d8db89674fe510f25dca3c4d0e8.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210725_052723.png.bfbdcca3b925a34187a294943c62c6b1.png

edit: finally got imgur to show me the full original filenames of the screenshots, the first one in the first spoiler is from April 2014, the second one is from July, so this mystery map in the second spoiler must have been something else again. So that's at least 3 different attempts I made at that slot, lol :)

Edited by Eris

More of this, please. I'm too new to the scene to have any personal stock in what's happening here - I haven't even played Revilution for myself yet, and it had already been out for years by the time I'd shot my first imp - but I'd still feel remiss not to commend everyone in this thread for their civility, humility, and transparency. There's something special about seeing a long-gone face come back to a thread free of bad blood or recriminations, and for that I thank you all. This is a great, great community. Welcome back, Kyka!