Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CBM

Booked - A GZDoom-compatible CP where we do things by a preselected map title

8 hours ago, Origamyde said:

Hey there !

Seeing that one map slot remains for Booked and that I have a bit of free time, is it possible to join in and participate in the whole project ?

Thank you in advance (if it's okay), @CBM 🙂

map 15 is yours! :D

11 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

I updated my map last evening, and only now did it occur to me to test how the snapshot of project works, lol. Anyway, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but when I launch GZDoom (thru ZDL) with the snapshot.pk3, all levels are there (as far as I know, at least all the levels up until mine), but they seem to have stock Doom ][ music despite there being music lumps under pk3. Also, at least my map should use OSKY15 texture (I had the lump as RSKY1 in my wad), but instead there is the stock Doom ][ sky MAP06 would normally use.

Also the map names are those of normal Doom II maps, ie. The Crusher for me, Entryway for the first map etc.

This could have something to do with me, as I've never used .pk3 files, maybe some of my GZDoom settings are now wrong or something, but I wonder do the maps work for others if played thru the snapshot file?

11 hours ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

I grabbed a snapshot as well you can fix the music by just renaming the music files I don't know how to fix the skies cause I don't know how pk3s work.

Hi guys, I will ask David

I uploaded mine a while back but didn't have much time to test anything until today. Weirdly, some of the floor textures don't seem to load.

I'm also getting the default music and sky. The PK3 doesn't seem to have a MAPINFO or ZMAPINFO lump at all which may be the problem.

Edit: Looks like these settings might be responsible. Grabbed a screenie from David's introductory vid on Youtube:

mapinfo.PNG.dc05d67b16dac62e07fa81a289b26e78.PNG

Edited by Demondice

35 minutes ago, Demondice said:

I uploaded mine a while back but didn't have much time to test anything until today. Weirdly, some of the floor textures don't seem to load.

I'm also getting the default music and sky. The PK3 doesn't seem to have a MAPINFO or ZMAPINFO lump at all which may be the problem.

Edit: Looks like these settings might be responsible. Grabbed a screenie from David's introductory vid on Youtube:

mapinfo.PNG.dc05d67b16dac62e07fa81a289b26e78.PNG

I will try and see if modifying the settings will work

The texture problem in my map appears to be my doing. As OTEX is included in the PK3 I don't need to be duplicating the included textures, and the way that I referenced some of the flats in the map is causing them to fail to be recognised. I'm just in the process of renaming the texture references in the map itself to the correct ones in OTEX, then I'll upload a new version of the map with the textures removed.

Edit: Yep, that did the trick. A lesson learned I guess.

Edited by Demondice

There's still no MAPINFO in the PK3. It's probably worth running it past David as it sounds like a bug, and I'm sure that's exactly why he wanted to test it in the first place.

That said, one bug in something so fresh is pretty impressive. The whole system is extremely easy to use, and I only had to jump through a few hoops to get the textures working because I went about it in such a weird way.

11 hours ago, Demondice said:

There's still no MAPINFO in the PK3. It's probably worth running it past David as it sounds like a bug, and I'm sure that's exactly why he wanted to test it in the first place.

That said, one bug in something so fresh is pretty impressive. The whole system is extremely easy to use, and I only had to jump through a few hoops to get the textures working because I went about it in such a weird way.

I talked to him in a PM and

he said he will take a look

I'm gradually making progress on MAP 21: Nordic Island :)

Do we have any guidelines for difficulty level in this project? Should the map be "balanced" for pistol start? Is there anything in level of difficulty I should make it similar to, this being map 21, so up in the last third of the game?

16 hours ago, Demondice said:

Hi, thanks for letting me know! CBM was right, looks like the project options were set to not write a MAPINFO. The missing step was that the project wouldn't rebuild from scratch unless the uploaded content had been changed, so it wasn't taking the new options into account - I forced a regenerate for now, and I'll change it so that it looks for changed options since the last build as well. Custom skies and music should now work. Great-looking map, by the way :)

Tested, my map looks and sounds like intended now!

One question, more in a vein of map editing, but could be MAPINFO related: finishing level takes me to the end screen, as if you had finished the game. My level ends with linedef 243 End Normal, but should it be done somehow else? Or is this just a MAPINFO thing either Rampart or CBM would take care of manually when the project is in its finishing stages?

1 hour ago, DavidN said:

Great-looking map, by the way :)

Cheers. :)

23 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

finishing level takes me to the end screen, as if you had finished the game.

It does the same for my map too. The MAPINFO is missing the "next" property from completed maps, and although I was under the impression that GZDoom would default to the next level in sequence, I'm probably wrong and it's the only thing I can think of causing it. The property is intact for gaps where a map hasn't been uploaded yet. I'm not sure if this is a setting @CBM needs to modify or an oversight for @DavidN to look into, as RAMP was hub-based so it'd be an easy thing to miss. I checked my own MAPINFO and my uploaded map has "next = MAP17" set.

That's right, if a map is defined with no next/secretnext properties, it will treat it as if the game has ended. @CBM , now that the MAPINFO option is on, this is something you can change in the map slots page (which I haven't covered in any tutorials yet):

image.png.828b52284fac7a1dfa19126acbff660d.png

By default, the maps are set up with the links you'd expect from Doom 2, but there was a bug that meant when a new copy of a map was uploaded it would clear its MAPINFO properties! I've corrected that now, so future map uploads should keep their next/secretnext properties.

On 9/19/2021 at 3:06 PM, evil_scientist said:

I'm gradually making progress on MAP 21: Nordic Island :)

Do we have any guidelines for difficulty level in this project? Should the map be "balanced" for pistol start? Is there anything in level of difficulty I should make it similar to, this being map 21, so up in the last third of the game?

since the maps will be completed in sequence then I think you should aim for map 21 difficulty :-)

14 hours ago, DavidN said:

That's right, if a map is defined with no next/secretnext properties, it will treat it as if the game has ended. @CBM , now that the MAPINFO option is on, this is something you can change in the map slots page (which I haven't covered in any tutorials yet):

image.png.828b52284fac7a1dfa19126acbff660d.png

By default, the maps are set up with the links you'd expect from Doom 2, but there was a bug that meant when a new copy of a map was uploaded it would clear its MAPINFO properties! I've corrected that now, so future map uploads should keep their next/secretnext properties.

cool, I will check it out :-)

I'll need to give up my slot, unfortunately. I've got too much going on at the moment. Sorry for the trouble.

13 hours ago, Bri said:

I'll need to give up my slot, unfortunately. I've got too much going on at the moment. Sorry for the trouble.

sorry to hear that

So far I'm making slow, but good progress. Mostly due to the fact that I'm really trying to experiment with what I can do, since my map will Boom format as opposed to UDMF (more comfortable with it), and it's my first slaughtermap! I have some really cool ideas to try that could really step it up, so I hope to get a testable build to some friends soon.

A couple of fly-by screenshots... Nordic Island is now full of architecture, both medieval and brutalist... Working more on monster placement, tricks and traps...

Screenshot_Doom_20210924_101332.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210924_101401.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210924_101413.png

due to time constrainst my map slot is also opened up

so we have 2 available slots right now

if anybody feels they can handle an extra map slot then let me know

I re-uploaded my map - I discovered there was a small spot where player could drop down to and not get out. Otherwise, I haven't touched my own map in a couple of weeks now, and I was thinking of whether or not I should make the level look better without too much effort. Have some more interesting (ie. less squarey) hallways, less flat walls etc. But I'm not sure if I should. Also, I'd like make the map a bit harder or balanced or whatnot, but I guess I'd like to hear how others experience it.

Anyhow, I'll also try and play out the other maps uploaded onto the project.

I played the first map - The Attack of 8 flying tomatoes - on HMP, and only found 4 flying tomatoes :( Fun map, if a bit linear. Some of the hallways look a bit plain, whereas others look great (like the hellish ones with lava and fireblu). My only real complaint is that the I think you can't return from the very final area to earlier parts of maps to take care of remaining monsters. I had 279/280 kill count (or something like that) at the end.

Then I moved onto the second map, or rather MAP03. It crashed and gave me this message (I wonder if it was already mentioned earlier in the thread; I tried looking for it but didn't caught in my eye)

image.png.40e3e96af0704e1492d91e192c3146f1.png

As for MAP04, Resurrecting Lucifer... let's just say, it's gonna take me a while to get through it. Still playing on HMP, and save-scumming like a madman. The closest thing to a slaughtermap I've ever played is the final level of Lunatic and the first map of Micro-Slaughter community project. The visuals and aesthetics are, without a doubt, top-notch, the kind of sunlusty stuff I can only marvel at and admire, and never create myself.

Edited by RHhe82 : Tried MAP04 as well...

so I changed the mapinfos so that they will match doom 2, with the exception that every map can potentially have a secret exit to map 31

current list, let me know if I have missed any...

Beneath a Timeless Cathedral - video done

Feared Space Pyramid - video done

The Question of Hearing - video done

Attack of the 8 flying tomatos - video done

Every Haunting of the Cyberdemon

Resurrecting Lucifer

the Bone Ward

Revealing Zombie

Wasting a Pain Elemental

Attack of the 8 flying tomatos MAP 01, played using the pk3 downloaded directly from the rampart page, youtubes algorithm decided to chop the sound in places though :

some texture misalignments, a bit more health needed near the exit and an obligatory secret

but otherwise a nice oldschool and fun map

Alright, folks, here's my submission for the 15th map slot for Booked : The Bloody Devils !

BloodyDevilsV2 (Booked Project).zip

Map Name : Bloody Devils

Author : Origamyde

Play Time : 25-30 minutes at best

Music : The Fifth Will Rise by James Paddock

Textures : OTEX

Difficulty Settings : Ultra-Violence. May need to be adjusted for lower levels.

Coop : No

Deathmatch : No

Description : Starting off in a small canyon-like area, our valiant protagonist finds himself at the foot of a crimson red castle-ish stronghold, ferociously defended by many evil bad guys. Fight your way down this mess of bricks and devilish schemes, and don't forget to seek the three keys to unlock the secret level access !

Version 2 : Tweaked textures, switches' textures modified to avoid potential bugs where their animation would not trigger.

Edited by Origamyde

@CBM I'd like to apologize. I tested my map using the latest build of GZDoom before posting it to this thread. Somehow when I deleted the OTEX from my map, and uploaded to Rampart it stopped working :I

Sorry but due to some unforeseen RL issues this week, I'd like to withdraw my map.

7 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

@CBM I'd like to apologize. I tested my map using the latest build of GZDoom before posting it to this thread. Somehow when I deleted the OTEX from my map, and uploaded to Rampart it stopped working :I

Sorry but due to some unforeseen RL issues this week, I'd like to withdraw my map.

no worries but still sorry to hear that you withdraw your map

7 hours ago, Briøche said:

Look like MAP 13 - The Prison of Burning slot isn't taken yet, I'm really interested :)

you were the first to ask so map 13 is yours :D

btw. your avatar is pretty cool, is that mozart wearing shades?

4 hours ago, RileyXY1 said:

Same with MAP28. I'm gonna take that. I might also do MAP13 as well.

map 28 is yours :)

map 13 is occupied, but map slot 3 just opened up if your interested?

4 hours ago, CBM said:

Effectively xD

Also thank you :p

4 hours ago, RileyXY1 said:

My idea for "Robot Hell" is a surrealist map that combines together techbase and hell elements.

sounds cool :)

On 9/29/2021 at 11:52 PM, CBM said:

no worries but still sorry to hear that you withdraw your map

map 28 is yours :)

map 13 is occupied, but map slot 3 just opened up if your interested?

I can do MAP03 too.

57 minutes ago, RileyXY1 said:

I can do MAP03 too.

Perfect

You Got map 3 as well then

:-)

------------

I worked on Another video but it was too long apparently

But I Will try again