Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goat

Question about Doom 1's development

This is probably answered somewhere in some FAQ, but what language is Doom programmed in? I have practically 0 coding/program writing experience, and this is just a shot of general curiosity.

Just plain ol' C? Not C++? Whats the diff, anyway? And I've never heard of ASM.

C++ was not really practical at the time Doom was written as there werent that many good compilers around for it. The main difference between C and C++ is that C++ is object orientated (this is difficult to explain to non-programmers; basically it is helpful in developing large projects).

Assembler (ASM) is the basic machine code that the processor executes. All C/C++ programs are compiled to assembly in some form, but its harder and more tedious to write in so a high level language like C is usually preferable. Hand written assembly is used to speed up various critical bits of the engine (like the parts that do the core rendering of the wall, floor, and sprites).

Objective C (aca called it object C) is another language based on C. It is object-orientated like C++ is but is different in various ways. Objective C was popular on the NeXT cubes which doom was developed on.

this semester I get to use c++ instead of just java. that is if I passed my first semester sysc course..

I always wonder how people manage to make games, then it makes me sick.

KoRn said:

this semester I get to use c++ instead of just java. that is if I passed my first semester sysc course..

I always wonder how people manage to make games, then it makes me sick.

sick, like it is boring?

I need to learn, how to program in c++, all I can now is basic stuff.
I think it is funny to see something, you have made, become alive, even if its just a plain boring text program, where you can plus 3 and 5... :P

Thalakos said:

WHAT A n000BIE! GOAT yuo aer teh SUK!!!1!!1!1!!11!

no i wont burn you that CD burn it ur own fukin self and GEEZ what you think u are gonna make a game like d00m? HA! you aer teh suk wittle n00bie go cwy to j0r m0mmie!111!11!1

lol

Three little letters: WTF

Torn said:

sick, like it is boring?

Programming is very boring if you don't have a lot of patience. I took Java in grade 12 and thought it was the most ridiculous piece of garbage ever. Just to do the simplest, unimpressive things requires about a million lines. I couldn't imagine how people program entire complex games without shooting themselves in the face.

John Carmack uses his newest 3d engine to render his face back on in all of his photos I think.

Psyonisis said:

Just to do the simplest, unimpressive things requires about a million lines.

Hahahah, no wonder if you're using Java.

i have a few books on c++ but i have not really sat down and tried anything, hey i'm lazy. I use to be able to program this robot in the late 80's. that thing sucked. we had only 200K memory and i did in on an IMB 80286. i thought it was cool to do but it was boring to put all those commands in for it to do something simple, and being 7 years old i got tired of that real quick.