Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mike Stu

[Plot hole?] Did Earth get invaded twice...?

They are connected but there's stuff that makes the connections a bit wonky, even if it's natural or just pointing out specific stuff.

Like how Hell used to work on cybernetics vs now it's the UAC.

RUx8RAl.png

Even then, i always keep repeating stuff, so i will take the chance to mention something new and cool like an idea.

If there ever is another Archvile design: A suggestion is a mouth in an area of explosed muscle with the open skin being pulled by wires.

I'm talking Chatterer from Hellraiser and Void from Berserk.

Could be seen as an homage to the classic "face tubes" while still being its own unique feature or even compared to the lore of Doom 3 Pinkies having to eat the flesh covering their mouths or the classic IOS having ropes forcing the forehead to be open.

Also, if the "double" red Cybie for 64 ever makes an official appearence as an enemy, i wondered about an homage to the Doom 3DO FMV demon with the exposed brown brain and the collar/necklace with symbols, since that creature looked like a Cybie.

I personally believe Doom has a concept of travelling between dimensions (That's what Samuel Hayden once mentioned), and the known universes we have been through are the Classic Doom universe and the Doom 3 universe, while hell is its own universe that connects both timelines. For example, Doom 3 comes after Doom 64 chronologically speaking in a dimensional standpoint. Doom (2016) would have taken place in Doom 3's universe years after or a similar one.

On 11/17/2021 at 11:40 AM, whatup876 said:

They are connected but there's stuff that makes the connections a bit wonky, even if it's natural or just pointing out specific stuff.

Like how Hell used to work on cybernetics vs now it's the UAC.

RUx8RAl.png

Even then, i always keep repeating stuff, so i will take the chance to mention something new and cool like an idea.

If there ever is another Archvile design: A suggestion is a mouth in an area of explosed muscle with the open skin being pulled by wires.

I'm talking Chatterer from Hellraiser and Void from Berserk.

Could be seen as an homage to the classic "face tubes" while still being its own unique feature or even compared to the lore of Doom 3 Pinkies having to eat the flesh covering their mouths or the classic IOS having ropes forcing the forehead to be open.

Also, if the "double" red Cybie for 64 ever makes an official appearence as an enemy, i wondered about an homage to the Doom 3DO FMV demon with the exposed brown brain and the collar/necklace with symbols, since that creature looked like a Cybie.

This is where Eternal went off the rails with explaining too much about Hell. We didn't need to know with all certainty where demons come from or who really runs the place or why they have technology or if it's the traditional Abrahamic Hell exactly or something more expansive. It just needed to remain a deep, disturbing, chaotic enigma. They ruined that aspect of Doom entirely with some bad fanfic. They can fix this in the future by telling us it wasn't the whole story after all, but that's just a fix in retrospect and doesn't excuse Eternal's mess.

I mean, a easy way to fix it is just making a game that happens to have a different lore/direction, like another reboot, even as a spin-off or something that's just different because.

Not so much to "fix/apologize" but just to keep experimenting and do cool stuff for the sake of it.

Sometimes, i think id could learn a thing or 2 from mods and fanart, like what would some fans like to see in Doom.

Sounds dangerously close to "rip off the good fanstuff" or "hire this man" territory, i know.

Going back to Doom absorbing Quake and Heretic/Hexen, in a "eggs in the same basket" way where Doom becomes the main life support for other FPS franchises: Even playable ports of those games (and their sequels/expansions) like D1/2 in Eternal would be cool.

2 hours ago, Quasar said:

This is where Eternal went off the rails with explaining too much about Hell. We didn't need to know with all certainty where demons come from or who really runs the place or why they have technology or if it's the traditional Abrahamic Hell exactly or something more expansive. It just needed to remain a deep, disturbing, chaotic enigma. They ruined that aspect of Doom entirely with some bad fanfic. They can fix this in the future by telling us it wasn't the whole story after all, but that's just a fix in retrospect and doesn't excuse Eternal's mess.

Some of these concepts got planted as early as 2016's Doom, notably the cyberdemon and cybermancubus. It's part of what dissuaded me from reading more into it, but now more than anything I'm curious how the writing and worldbuilding compare between it and Eternal.

With this talk of lore, i wonder about opinions on Gargoyles (and i guess the Aggadons that ended up as DH's) not being native to Hell.

Because they count as demons, so i always played it off as "creations by Hell meant to terrify other worlds before going back to their more faithfull world" and not just another Zombieman case of another species being corrupted by Hell.

Unrelated but whenever i think of "what if possessed soldiers had access to the same guns as the player, weapon mods included", i thought of justifications like:

Green eye flash (but a different color) when they do an hitscan attack, another colored flash when they show animations of mod change before using said mod and maybe either having basic AI/terrible aim or only using certain weapon mods when they're on the player's view. (as in: if the player is facing an enemy that they know is hitscan or has a similar powerfull attack as them, they would know it from being on their literal point of view)

Plasma rifle possessed could easily be based off the ARC soldiers from those cutscenes and some even get 2016's version of heatblast for that AoE/360 effect.

There could be some extra class with the cut Eternal pistol and maybe something to mimick a flamethrower or grenade.

Possessed Sentinels like Marauders but with Ballistas could be interesting unless UAC guys with Gauss Cannon also work.

Rocket Launcher guys could be themed after Cultist theme.

SSG guys could be UAC related with their SSG's being UAC and their grapple hook not being Sentinel, as if it's the UAC creating their versions of Meathooks, because the Sentinel one is rather Doomguy's own personal gun.

In case we don't really get a "true" Doomguy rival, maybe a "squad" of former humans, each with their respective weapon with mods could work and like an actual exploration of a small thing in Doom: when enemies carry/drop the same guns and ammo as the player.

Not sure about a BFG guy besides the fact that 3 pulled it off uniquely with turning your boss into a tank man.

In general, for a series now about the power fantasy, there's something special about putting a powerfull hero through more challenges and even getting to take his own poisons once in a while.

Stuff like this comes off as world building on military/weaponry that exists in a game's universe and give it interaction, be it for or against the player.

Specially with Doomguy's case, being possessed or demon manipulation behind UAC/ARC/Sentinel stuff unless we get something where you play as a demon and fight against those factions.

Even then, that makes me think of playable demons having some things not available in the ones Doomguy fights as AI's. (both BattleMode and 2016's MP)

And also comes off as "do Titans and mechs really exist if they don't have any interaction gameplay-wise?".

Let's not also forget that the Immoran troopers carry the 2016 MP Reaper but if you look at how it actually functioned in 2016, TAG2 makes it seem like historical revisionism.

Or the Marauder and Dark Lord not really being "player 2 has joined the game" characters.