Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomguykiller69

What is the difference between LZ and GZ?

What is the difference between LZ and GZ? I use LZ because it can be used in many low-resource computers, but is there another difference?

255c70058c3e6d6415191014ca3dfda8.jpg

Not really, LZ is basically just an alternative for weaker PCs. It has slightly less features than GZDoom, but it will still play most wads

A few things you can do and some info

You can set up LZDoom to play on a fake split-screen

It supports Si6il and No Rest For the Living as IWADS as long as you have a copy of Doom or FreeDoom in the same folder

According to the DoomWiki article of the port, it has support for most (if not all) features from GZDoom, so you'll be able to play advanced mods on a weaker computer

Like GZDoom, it supports Heretic, HeXen, Strife, FreeDoom, Blasphemer (FreeHeretic) and Hacx.

The only thing I don't really care for is having to restart the port whenever I need (or want) to switch renderers, in any case, it's basically GZDoom for weak hardware

For more specific info, here's an explanation from the GZDoom website:

GZDoom is the latest version targeting current systems with modern graphics hardware. (Vulkan/OpenGL 4.5 capability recommended, but the minimum requirement for the hardware renderer is OpenGL 3.3, the minimum for the software renderer is Direct3D 9)

LZDoom is based on an older version of GZDoom. It does not provide all features currently supported by GZDoom but in turn is capable of running the hardware renderer on older hardware which does not support modern OpenGL features.

LZDoom supports 3D models in the software Carmack renderer, whereas GZDoom has more recently yeeted that feature out after the developers were experiencing issues during development.

LZdoom (3.8.7c) lags a liitle bit behind GZdoom (4.6.1) in term of zscript support, so there's a chance that you'll come by recent gameplay mods that do not support LZdoom anymore

If you are using LZ only because your hardware is weak (a pretty recent laptop with iGPU counts too) and you don't want to miss out on the latest GZdoom features, there's a better option imho in gzdoom-gles

https://github.com/drdteam/gzdoom-gles/releases

3.87c was very old, i've just released 3.88. LZDoom has its own thread.

LZDoom also has compat_oldrandom (use the original random number generator) to play Doom. And i've restored the extreme skill levels for Doom and Heretic (UM and 1KD) this time with doubled monsters. Heretic monsters have less health but deal more damage in 1KD for a more dynamic gameplay, not that i usually play Heretic.