Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tescari

My progress to getting better at Doom

4 hours ago, JezChrist said:

Glad you liked Plutonia !

Its the basis of all modern Doom combat.

I’d say it’s the basis for all classic doom combat and AV and Scythe 2 are the basis for modern combat.

4 hours ago, JezChrist said:

Glad you liked Plutonia !

Its the basis of all modern Doom combat.

As long as other wads don't rely on hidden archviles as much (2 maps in Plutonia). That was just a bit frustrating. Overall an amazing wad though. Go 2 it was a really good challenge.

3 minutes ago, tescari said:

As long as other wads don't rely on hidden archviles as much (2 maps in Plutonia). That was just a bit frustrating. Overall an amazing wad though. Go 2 it was a really good challenge.

If by hidden archvile you mean archviles behind walls that you cannot see then your fears won’t often be sparked and are guaranteed not to be in most if not all of the following mapsets.

On 8/24/2021 at 3:05 PM, Jacek Bourne said:

If by hidden archvile you mean archviles behind walls that you cannot see then your fears won’t often be sparked and are guaranteed not to be in most if not all of the following mapsets.

I meant 2 maps where chaingunners are constantly ressurected by archviles in walls.

unrelated though, I beat scythe! I had to savescum my way through Fire and Ice (quicksave after I got every key) but bloody hell I did it.

7 hours ago, tescari said:

I meant 2 maps where chaingunners are constantly ressurected by archviles in walls.

unrelated though, I beat scythe! I had to savescum my way through Fire and Ice (quicksave after I got every key) but bloody hell I did it.

Well I cannot think of a single instance where that happens so good fortune awaits.

Well, time for my tier list. From good to bad, these are the wads I completed at this point from the list:

Amazing

Scythe

Plutonia Experiment

Doom 2 (Nostalgia)

SIGIL (fun challenge)

Moonblood

Fava Beans

Memento Mori

Doom 1

Base Ganymede (fun concept, but due to the limited enemy roster a rather forgetful experience)

TNT Evilution (The maps just blend together)

Passable (not bad, not good)

Updated List:

Scythe

Plutonia Experiment

Doom 2 (Nostalgia)

SIGIL (fun challenge)

Moonblood

Fava Beans

Memento Mori

Doom 1

Rush

Base Ganymede (fun concept, but due to the limited enemy roster a rather forgetful experience)

TNT Evilution (The maps just blend together)

My god, why is Ancient Aliens so good. I just can't stop playing it. AA is on the same level of Scythe at the moment for me.

Ancient Aliens done
Valiant halfway

I am really starting to see the way people praise Skillsaw's work. I do have to quicksave after every key though, because level restarts were becoming insanely difficult :)

32 minutes ago, tescari said:

Ancient Aliens done
Valiant halfway

I am really starting to see the way people praise Skillsaw's work. I do have to quicksave after every key though, because level restarts were becoming insanely difficult :)

The start of a map can many times be it’s most difficult part. Especially if it is a hot start. A hot start is where the map begins and immediately you are attacked by enemies. These will become quite common after Alien Vendetta I think.

This is an interesting topic; since I've only played console ports for the past ten years every now and then, and since it's been some 20 years since I've played DooM on a computer, let alone PWADS, I was thinking of a similar project to gitting gud. I always thought I was decent in Doom, but I gotta admit, that's probably not the case. Sure, I beat Plutonia on UV on the Console Unity port, but some savescumming was involved. I could defend myself since I found Xbox controller not that great for DooM (or fast-paced FPS's generally), but on PC, I can't defend myself anymore.

So far I've been playing some Scythe 2 and Going Down. Scythe 2 gets really hard for me on UV-pistol start around level 14. Going Down on the other hand has been tricky ever since map04, and now that I'm on Map09, I really am puzzled as to how the heck am I going to survive this.

Someone suggested Moonblood. Great wad, but Episode 3 hands me my ass. It's definitely easier than Scythe 2 and Going Down, but still I find myself having hard time. Guess I should replay commercial wads once again. Which I am actually doing as well: I decided to pistol-start Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, and see if I could pistol start Final Doom as well. I even prepared this excel sheet to document my progress: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AkfQ8S6tX3yioRnAWkdLr8QVo_n5?e=Kcr2sR  -- It has two sub-sheets, one for Iwads (including Sigil and No Rest for the Living) and my plan for Pwads. With Iwads, I'm also trying to do the levels without saving, and with Doom 1 first three episodes, that was a breeze (I was even doing it on the console during the summer already, so the controller posed little problem there!). Doom 2 is getting a bit tricky, and last time I hit the wall with Map09. Not because it's hard per se, but with pistol start ammunition seems surprisingly scarce. Either that, or I know the level far worse than I thought.

Edited by RHhe82 : typo :'(

Been quite a while:

Alien Vendetta I gave up on and started Sunlust, needed a break at around map 8. So started Going Down, finished that and now just taking a short break before I dive back in again. Replaying Doom 2 with corruption cards mod is teaching me a lot about awareness (completely silent chaingunners are evil)

It's been insanely quiet. I know, sorry.

Going Down finished

Doom 2 Corruption cards finished

Nova 1: The Birth finished

Next up on the list, no idea yet. Might try Back to Saturn X