Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xulgonoth

[CP] Eternal MIDI Pack - A community MIDI replacement for Eternal Doom III

14 hours ago, Varis Alpha said:

finished my map13 slot.

Put Your Dance Where I Can See It (1:14)

Sounds great :)
It sounds similar to the original, but does its own thing, and for a map that's basically just a short intermission between Eternal Doom I and II that actually works really well.

You're actually the first person to have not only claimed the maximum number of slots one person currently can, but you managed to deliver some masterful pieces for them in the time while I'm still struggling with my first contribution... so consider me very impressed :D
If you're still feeling creative, there's always MAP30. Though @Cammy made a good point a while back that it would probably be better to create a group for it for anyone interested so that the parts can be tied together much more smoothly and naturally.

technically speaking, my map13 track is the longest adaptation of an existing track, being about 10 times as long as the original track. :P it might be more of a remix of the original than my other ones, but since there's so little to that one, i think it was fine to keep this one simple.

i was thinking about adding a passage to the map30 slot, but i think i'll wait until there's more tracks finished, and more interest in making the map30 track. with different people using different MIDI editors, it might be a bit of work getting the whole thing to work properly, though there's a couple of things to keep in mind regarding vanilla limitations, since it internally uses the MUS format:

- max amount of instrument channels is 9 (8 instruments, one drum channel)

- max size limit is about 96kb i believe, the internal MUS limit being 64kb, which is what i think 96kb just about hits

- max polyphony limit i think is 24 voices

- the whole track should probably hit at least 8 or 9 minutes. that should be enough wiggle room to not surpass any of the limits

i'm not sure how one would best organize a collaborative effort like this, but i would definitely like to add a passage to it when work begins on it.

8 hours ago, Varis Alpha said:

technically speaking, my map13 track is the longest adaptation of an existing track, being about 10 times as long as the original track. :P it might be more of a remix of the original than my other ones, but since there's so little to that one, i think it was fine to keep this one simple.

i was thinking about adding a passage to the map30 slot, but i think i'll wait until there's more tracks finished, and more interest in making the map30 track. with different people using different MIDI editors, it might be a bit of work getting the whole thing to work properly, though there's a couple of things to keep in mind regarding vanilla limitations, since it internally uses the MUS format:

- max amount of instrument channels is 9 (8 instruments, one drum channel)

- max size limit is about 96kb i believe, the internal MUS limit being 64kb, which is what i think 96kb just about hits

- max polyphony limit i think is 24 voices

- the whole track should probably hit at least 8 or 9 minutes. that should be enough wiggle room to not surpass any of the limits

i'm not sure how one would best organize a collaborative effort like this, but i would definitely like to add a passage to it when work begins on it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the vanilla limitations...

I'm going to be honest, I've never even looked into them much, but are the limits you listed specific to the .mus format? Because I'm pretty sure Doom v1.9 supports .mid as well.

But if there's no way around these limits, I would honestly just not worry about them, the original soundtrack is still there for anyone who wants the pure experience.

And I'll make a post when the MAP30 midi gets better organisation :)

12 hours ago, Varis Alpha said:

got a nice thing going over here, so i'm claiming the map17 slot for it.

Well, I guess the project has been up long enough to remove the claim limit entirely...

On mercredi 1 septembre 2021 at 6:56 AM, Xulgonoth said:

I'm going to be honest, I've never even looked into them much, but are the limits you listed specific to the .mus format? Because I'm pretty sure Doom v1.9 supports .mid as well.

It does support .mid, but only in a roundabout way, by basically converting them to .mus on the fly. So it can only play .mid songs that would successfully convert to .mus, which means that the .mus limitations are still in place.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

It does support .mid, but only in a roundabout way, by basically converting them to .mus on the fly. So it can only play .mid songs that would successfully convert to .mus, which means that the .mus limitations are still in place.

I see, good to know, in that case I would just not worry about the limitations at all. Like I mentioned earlier, whoever wants to use vanilla Doom for Eternal can just use the original soundtrack, but this project is meant to enhance the experience, so the need for a source port is justified in my book, because it lets us have MIDIs that match the scope of those maps.

for the record, all of my MIDIs i've made for this project were made with the vanilla limitations in mind. the exception might be Journey's End, since that one hit exactly 96kb, and i'm not sure what the vanilla engine would do with that.

at any rate, i've finished my map17 slot. i agree with your OP that the original track was very unfitting for the map it was on, so i went in an entirely different direction with my track to better suit the map it's assigned to, making it much more ominous and foreboding.

Oblivion Eclipse (5:20)

12 hours ago, Varis Alpha said:

for the record, all of my MIDIs i've made for this project were made with the vanilla limitations in mind. the exception might be Journey's End, since that one hit exactly 96kb, and i'm not sure what the vanilla engine would do with that.

at any rate, i've finished my map17 slot. i agree with your OP that the original track was very unfitting for the map it was on, so i went in an entirely different direction with my track to better suit the map it's assigned to, making it much more ominous and foreboding.

Wow, that was quick :D
But good job as always, I think this fits the graveyard theme much nicer.

21 hours ago, Varis Alpha said:

Sounds good

To bump the thread a bit: Beta/release candidate of the MAP31 track. It's a bit more light-hearted than most other contributions, in line with the map which doesn't take itself too seriously too :)

MonsterPoolParty.zip

I'll probably polish it a bit more (in particular the middle part with the piano-brass call-and-response, and maybe the bassline). If there are any weird sounding parts I'm grateful for criticism, as I'm still not very familiar with the GM instruments. I'll then try to repair it :) And it's not .mus compatible actually (uses 15 channels), I can however try to change that.

On 9/12/2021 at 10:10 AM, erzboesewicht said:

To bump the thread a bit: Beta/release candidate of the MAP31 track. It's a bit more light-hearted than most other contributions, in line with the map which doesn't take itself too seriously too :)

MonsterPoolParty.zip

I'll probably polish it a bit more (in particular the middle part with the piano-brass call-and-response, and maybe the bassline). If there are any weird sounding parts I'm grateful for criticism, as I'm still not very familiar with the GM instruments. I'll then try to repair it :) And it's not .mus compatible actually (uses 15 channels), I can however try to change that.

Loving the jazzy cabaret vibes here :D
I think it's way good enough to include as is, but if you want to make adjustments, it should be fine. And don't worry about the .mus compatibility, I've decided the MIDI pack doesn't need to be entirely compatible with vanilla Doom, as it would be too limiting.

EDIT: I've also just added @ICID's contribution for MAP26.

Edited by Xulgonoth

1 hour ago, Xulgonoth said:

Loving the jazzy cabaret vibes here :D
I think it's way good enough to include as is, but if you want to make adjustments, it should be fine. And don't worry about the .mus compatibility, I've decided the MIDI pack doesn't need to be entirely compatible with vanilla Doom, as it would be too limiting.

EDIT: I've also just added @ICID's contribution for MAP26.

Vanilla Doom has been compatible with .mid files for a long time. I believe the .mus thing is a myth. The engine converts .mid to .mus automatically.

Thanks for your comment, Xulgonoth! You can of course distribute the current version with the current (beta) pack. I'll anyway probably make some adjustments still. The track can probably be converted to .mus-compatible with some program change events because the 15 channels do never play simultaneously.

@Dusty_Rhodes: as was discussed some posts ago, the problem seems to be that later vanilla versions accept .mid files but only if they are limited to the .mus limitations (10 9 midi channels and some other restrictions).

Edited by erzboesewicht

2 minutes ago, erzboesewicht said:

Thanks for your comment, Xulgonoth! You can of course distribute the current version with the current (beta) pack. I'll anyway probably make some adjustments still. The track can probably be converted to .mus-compatible with some program change events because the 15 channels do never play simultaneously.

@Dusty_Rhodes: as was discussed some posts ago, the problem seems to be that later vanilla versions accept .mid files but only if they are limited to the .mus limitations (10 midi channels and some other restrictions).

Just saw that sorry. I was wrong.

Thanks for adding my submission to the pack, Xulgonoth! Hope you all like it. It's my first MIDI ever, and by that low bar I'm pretty proud of it.

Not sure I have another full song in me right now but I'd be happy to contribute to MAP30 once that starts happening.

@Xulgonoth: I have a release candidate for you for E1M4, at long last. I came in at 3:54 - just a hair under 4 minutes with a loop. Believe it or not after listening to it, it is built on the chord progression and bass line of the original MAP04 "Suspense!" songlet, significantly expanded upon. I've blended it with the soundtrack to the original movie version (not the Travolta remake) of "The Taking of Pelham 123." I'm still waiting for feedback from the folks at Bloo's Music Server, so I'm posting it here as well to "cast a wide net" and try to get as much feedback as possible. Please let me know what you think.

This MIDI file is optimized for Windows Media Player and the MS GS Wavetable Synth.

Suspense123_01_001v_RC1.zip

@leejacksonaudio I'm sorry about the delay, lately I don't know where to jump first. I'm just going to repost some of my thoughts from Bloo's server for clarity.
I think the track is amazing! I was a bit worried about how good of a fit it would be for Nucleus with this style, but after playing it with the RC2 I can safely say it fits like a glove :)

I must admit that I really don't hear any difference between the RC2 and 3 though. I know the piano is technically quieter in RC3 (or more specifically the other channels are slightly louder), but I can't really say I can hear it. And any other difference has just completely flown over my head.

2 hours ago, Xulgonoth said:

I must admit that I really don't hear any difference between the RC2 and 3 though. I know the piano is technically quieter in RC3 (or more specifically the other channels are slightly louder), but I can't really say I can hear it. And any other difference has just completely flown over my head.

You've pinpointed the only difference. I boosted the volume on all of the tracks except for the piano track and the complimentary jazz guitar track. Nothing else was changed in RC3.

Do you think it needs any further changes? If not, I'll upload it with its final filename so you can put it in its place in the ZIP file.

8 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

You've pinpointed the only difference. I boosted the volume on all of the tracks except for the piano track and the complimentary jazz guitar track. Nothing else was changed in RC3.

Do you think it needs any further changes? If not, I'll upload it with its final filename so you can put it in its place in the ZIP file.

Ah, I see. I saw the increase in the file size and thought I must have missed something. I don't think it needs any futher changes, only maybe once everything is done and we need to balance all the MIDIs' volume levels relative to each other, but that's going to be a while before we get there.
Thank you very much for joining the project :)

8 minutes ago, Varis Alpha said:

i'm at it again with the ideas suddenly striking. would like to claim map22's slot this time.

Welp, can't say no to that, though I kinda hope you won't expend your creative potential before the Excalibur portion of the project gets going :D

New release candidate of MAP31. This may be my final submission of the track, if nothing sounds weird for anyone (I'm still open for suggestions though). I tried to make it vanilla/MUS compatible, although there was one thing I didn't figure out: has the drum track to be channel 9 or channel 10? (The current one has it on channel 10).

I may apply for another map's track if there's nobody interested (particularly MAP16 or 32) but I have to sort first some things out in RL, so I can be sure I can deliver it in 2-3 weeks and it doesn't take as long.

MonsterPoolParty.zip

Update: I have yet to start my midi due to a few other events going on in my life. But don't worry you'll get it eventually. Just needing to figure out some ideas for the layout of the song.

On 9/21/2021 at 1:20 AM, erzboesewicht said:

New release candidate of MAP31. This may be my final submission of the track, if nothing sounds weird for anyone (I'm still open for suggestions though). I tried to make it vanilla/MUS compatible, although there was one thing I didn't figure out: has the drum track to be channel 9 or channel 10? (The current one has it on channel 10).

I may apply for another map's track if there's nobody interested (particularly MAP16 or 32) but I have to sort first some things out in RL, so I can be sure I can deliver it in 2-3 weeks and it doesn't take as long.

MonsterPoolParty.zip

Still awesome :)
The volume seems to be a bit higher than other submissions, but I'll honestly worry about that later when I can balance all of them.

And I'll be glad if you take another slot. I wouldn't worry much about stalling the project, honestly at this point if anyone's going to do that, it'll probably be me :D

On 9/21/2021 at 6:19 AM, pcorf said:

Update: I have yet to start my midi due to a few other events going on in my life. But don't worry you'll get it eventually. Just needing to figure out some ideas for the layout of the song.

No worries, thanks for the update :)