Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_Trve_Raith

What is your greatest fear?

8 hours ago, The_Trve_Raith said:

What would you say your greatest fear is?

Contracting/developing some kind of terminal disease or cancer. Absolutely terrifies me more than anything else.  

I initially said losing my lady who is not well (not terminal but let's say life is a challenge for her and leave it at that). But then I thought some more and I think really I fear dying before her more, because otherwise she would have no one easily on hand to look after her.

Living in a world where peoples basic freedoms are taken away because of a virus that hardly kills anyone, AND losing all of my limbs. At the same time.

Wasps freak me out, they send me into a blind panic.

Every time one gets into my room I flail around like a wet fairy and then beat a hasty retreat without even attempting to fight it. I've had one or two GF's who were less than impressed by me fleeing the room because of a single Wasp.

Shame be damned, they can fight it if they want because I'm getting the hell out of there if I catch sight of one in the room. In other words don't ask me for backup on this matter, I'll be gone before the words even form in your mind. Only an empty space and a slight gust of air will remain where I once stood.

Honestly, I think I have a phobia thanks to being almost stung to death as a boy.

When I was 5 years old I foolishly stuck a hosepipe into a wasp nest. Everything was going well with my childlike experiment and I turned the water on. That should have been the end of it. If I had any sense I would have observed from a safe distance, unfortunately as a 5 year old boy I had no sense at all. 

Rubbing my hands together like an evil mastermind from a saturday morning cartoon I just had to investigate my handy work. That was the fatal error in my plan. Suffice to say they were not happy when they emerged. The entire nest attacked me and I was stung so many times that the doctor gave up counting. I was in hospital for almost a week. I'm fairly sure that's where the terror began.

Either way, I'm in no hurry to confront this phobia lol.

I'm half joking here. I really don't like them and I will leave the room post-haste if I see one, but only to find something to obliterate it with.

You see over the years I have managed to convince myself that I will need to get back into that room at some point, so luckily the rational part of my brain takes over in order to make the area safe again. It's that or face the shame knowing that I'm a grown man who's been exiled from his bedroom by a single tiny insect.

Come to think of it they are the only thing that I'm legitimately afraid of. I've actually been in several life threatening situations before and I never panicked or was even afraid (autopilot kicked in), but these tiny insects terrify me.

Edit: high-five @leejacksonaudio. People are unaware of just how terrifying these little buggers truly are. Stay strong against this menace, I'm with you. Just so long as it doesn't require my physical presence around Wasps... but I'll be with you in spirit!

Losing a sense in a traumatic way, sight and hearing especially. Limbs too.
Social things aside (I'm very bad at socializing, but can't say it's an actual irrational fear) - not many things gave me chills except deliberate jumpscares but

Spoiler

I once saw a cat corpse that was probably driven over several times. Happens, whatever, but there was one very unnerving thing. One of the cat's eyes was severed, and was just lying nearby. An actual eye in one piece. Anything related to eye damage/loss always gave me chills. I did cut my eyes a couple times though.

(gore scene description)

2 minutes ago, ClumsyDoomer said:

Social things aside (I'm very bad at socializing, but can't say it's an actual irrational fear) - not many things gave me chills except deliberate jumpscares but

Reveal hidden contents

I once saw a cat corpse that was probably driven over several times. Happens, whatever, but there was one very unnerving thing. One of the cat's eyes was severed, and was just lying nearby. An actual eye in one piece. Anything related to eye damage/loss always gave me chills. I did cut my eyes a couple times though.

(gore scene description)

Already lost my eye earlier in the year, I can tell you it isn't as bad as people think it is. After all, you do have a spare.

What generally happens is your field of view takes a hit. Funny enough it actually depends on the bridge of your nose as to how much of it you'll lose. In my case I lost about 30-35% of my vision cone. The brain adapts surprisingly fast, it's already becoming hard for me to remember what it was like to see with both eyes and I only lost my left eye back in march.

Oh and if you're curious: dreams are not effected by the loss of an eye. Then again, I suppose the same would hold true if you lost a limb so perhaps it's not that surprising.

Losing both eyes and suffering blindness is another matter, I think that would scare anyone.

5 minutes ago, Final Verdict said:

Wasps freak me out, they send me into a blind panic.

I remember getting into a tire swing as a kid and being attacked by a small nest of them, they got me on my arm and forehead and was overall pretty upsetting.

I think I got over the fear throughout the years though. I used to play drums in a band and the practice room was infested with wasps; I ended up just trying to swat them with drum sticks while playing. During breaks we would kill as many as we could with fly swatters and spray, and after a while we just let them be and we all coexisted together, maybe the vibrations of the music had something to do with it, but no one ever got stung.

7 minutes ago, ClumsyDoomer said:

That would be a pretty overwhelming thing to get used to if it happened all at once instead of gradually. For things to just go dark or quiet for good, or to reach for something only to miss and realize how much space is left between....damn.

Literal crippling fear of cockroaches. It all stemmed from when my brother said one crawled in my mouth while I was sleeping and the next morning there was one by my bed. Unfortunate coincidence? Hopefully. Nevertheless, even seeing an image of one still makes me lift my feet off the ground while sitting down and if I ever see one in the bathroom I'll wait at least a week before showering.

I was nearly struck by lightning when I was a kid, and I've been terrified of it ever since. Even just the sight of dark clouds in the sky makes me feel uneasy.

1 hour ago, ClumsyDoomer said:

Hide contents

(gore scene description)

i dont fear those things because there has been a lot of time dedicated to prosthetics in the last 30 years or so

we have people getting close to a full arm replacement that is almost 100% functional, prosthetic legs are starting to be used and we are even starting to be able to cure blindness using machines of course losing a limb is not fun and these technologies are still too young and costly for it to make a difference but let me tell you the future will be all about these things 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K4s6Tvzn-8

this video is kinda click baity but it does a good job explaning how the technology works for now (at least for repairing your vision) there has been some others that are supposedly better but i didnt do too much research into them to know for sure how it works

I fear a prolonged death. Id much rather die in my sleep or die quickly like my father did.

After dying, I look forward to experiencing the afterlife and be free from the pains of this world.

I am pretty tormented after all.

12 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I have this recurring nightmare every few months where I wake up and my computer is hacked by Russian or Chinese ransomware, the computer just boots up and everything is in chinese or russian. For this reason I make physical backups of all my works every weekend and absolutely every social media I have is behind 2FA.
Due to my paranoia I have reason to believe my computer is literally more secure than computers of the brazilian government or military.

What i have read about such Dreams (also mine),

the Brain plays those unlikely Situations in Dreams to prepare you mentaly.

Because it is unlikely to happen, it could overwhelm us if it does.

So it starts that "Simulation".

Thats also why many of those Dreams just stop, if you find a Solution in your Dream.

There is no need to prepare you any longer for it.

rejection, cuz i can't handle people who matter to me potentially hating me.

oh, and being on a ladder. screw that. bedbugs too

8 hours ago, Snark said:

Living in a world where peoples basic freedoms are taken away because of a virus that hardly kills anyone, AND losing all of my limbs. At the same time.

goddamn how tf do you people manage to insert your dumbass politics into the most unrelated shit

12 minutes ago, roadworx said:

goddamn how tf do you people manage to insert your dumbass politics into the most unrelated shit

It isn't even true.

It is a Lie what he tells.

Edit:
Deleted mist, don't want to get triggered by Lies and change the Direction of this Thread.

Go on talking about Fears

11 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

i dont fear those things because there has been a lot of time dedicated to prosthetics in the last 30 years or so

I estimate it will take at least another century for the prosthetics to catch up with the capabilities of normal human limbs and organs. What is described as "100% functional" is equal to about 1%, whereas the rest is just not being used that often in daily life, not prioritized. A human hand can (learn to) distinguish coins by just touching and lifting them, for example. Physical movements - of course, the "augs" already do exceed human capabilities in some of the sports, but the natural "brain BIOS" is what I value the most.

Impairing an ear would be a bigger deal, especially for those who wish to use the potential of a pair. Eyes are parallelized indeed, but ears are meant work in pairs, and losing one will reduce the amount of perceived information by 80-90%. Binaural hearing, Haas effect, all that magic of psychoacoustics will be gone. Every sound that you feel and describe as centered or offset, far or close, behind or ahead, will just sound the same to one ear. By default it's also possible to use full-fledged echolocation, just like bats, even recognize the material of the surrounding surfaces - as long as you've got a pair. But still, it's the brain that does all the input processing and allows this. Researching and matching its "circuitry" will take ages.

Without saying too much personal stuff and probably writing an autobiography in the process.

I'm almost entirely just terrified about my future in recent months.

24 minutes ago, inkoalawetrust said:

Without saying too much personal stuff and probably writing an autobiography in the process.

I'm almost entirely just terrified about my future in recent months.

):

we're all here for you if you ever need support

Taphophobia is irrational but still makes me uncomfy when it enters my mind.

For a more real answer,

Spoiler

the idea of losing people I care about is terrifying to me, I don't think I have strong enough coping mechanisms to be able to move on from it.

(Spoilered to not trigger any potential crises in anybody scrolling by :p)

my biggest fear is that we go through a massive civilizational contraction, like the bronze age collapse or the post-Roman dark ages, but we never recover from it

The fact that anything could happen/change at any time, for the better or for the worst

On 7/28/2021 at 7:18 PM, Murdoch said:

I initially said losing my lady who is not well (not terminal but let's say life is a challenge for her and leave it at that). But then I thought some more and I think really I fear dying before her more, because otherwise she would have no one easily on hand to look after her.

I am really sorry to hear that. I liked you before, but after the thread I posted I lasted week, it was clear that you were a really good person, and I'm sure you know which thread I'm talking about. But, I am so sorry to hear about the struggle you and your lady are going through. I don't really need to know more, if you said it, it must not be fun. Your words did really help me; I don't think it'll ever be gone, but it helped, so thank you.

You both have my very best wishes, from the bottom of my damn heart. You seem like a damn good person, and if you love her that much, she's probably pretty special too, she's very lucky to have someone that cares that much. And you're lucky to have someone that you care for that much. The very best to the both of you. Things like that aren't easy, but at least you have each other, and I know that just having someone can be the most important thing in the world. I really wish my best on you guys, probably won't make much of a difference, but I hope things get better. 

If you feel like it, wish Lady Murdoch well for me. Tell her "Jello from Doomworld wishes you all the happiness in the world". At the very least, she might get a laugh out of it, "Who the fuck is Jello? And why does he care?"; and I think that would be worth it. If she laughs, or even cracks a smile, it'll be worth it. It sounds stupid as hell, but it'd be funny. And I wish you well too. I hope things works out well for the 'Howling Mad' Murdochs. All the best to you and yours.

...Yeah, I'll be a jackass and keep using the 'Howling Mad' thing for a bit. But I really did appreciate your kind words in the thread I posted last Friday. And I really, really hope things work out for you. Take care.

Edited by Jello

3 hours ago, Jello said:

...Yeah, I'll be a jackass and keep using the 'Howling Mad' thing for a bit. But I really did appreciate your kind words in the thread I posted last Friday. And I really, really hope things work out for you. Take care.

Thanks man, really appreciate it. I may be the muscle in this particular partnership physically but when it comes to mental strength I am a scrawny 8 year old compared to her. As I have often said in regards to her attitude, to her there is no fouler four letter word in the English language than "quit".

15 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Thanks man, really appreciate it. I may be the muscle in this particular partnership physically but when it comes to mental strength I am a scrawny 8 year old compared to her. As I have often said in regards to her attitude, to her there is no fouler four letter word in the English language than "quit".

Well it sounds like between the two of you, you'll manage. But still, best wishes to you and the Lady of the house.

I know she's not exactly like women that I've known in the past, everyone is different, but I have known women with a similar mind set. "Quit" is literally not in their vernacular. 

So yeah, I still wish the best for both of you. I hope that the wind never strays your barrels, and never rips the roof from your house.