Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmdr

bug or dumb? umapinfo bossaction problems

Question

(Probably the former but hey you never know with me; plus Fork in the Road's actions all seem to work OK)

Here's a wad with a UMAPINFO with several bossaction actions defined. In all cases the actions assigned to non-manc monsters (ie. not 'Fatso') fail to work.

Have tested with Woof! -complevels vanilla & boom (compiled from source a couple days ago) and PrBoom-Plus 2.6um -complevel 2 (also compiled from source). Results the same in both ports.

the UMAPINFO looks like:

map MAP01
{
	LevelName = "UMAPINFO bossaction test"
	endcast=true
	partime = 30
	music = "D_COUNTD"
	bossaction = ZombieMan, 23, 666
	bossaction = DoomImp, 58, 667
}

map MAP02
{
	LevelName = "UMAPINFO bossaction test 2"
	partime = 30
	music = "D_READ_M"
	bossaction = Fatso, 23, 666
}

map MAP03
{
	LevelName = "UMAPINFO bossaction test the third"
	partime = 30
	music = "D_DEAD"
	bossaction = clear
	bossaction = HellKnight, 23, 2
	bossaction = BaronOfHell, 58, 1
}

map MAP04
{
	LevelName = "UMAPINFO bossaction test IV"
	partime = 30
	music = "D_STLKS3"
	bossaction = clear
	bossaction = ZombieMan, 23, 666
}

map MAP05
{
	LevelName = "UMAPINFO bossaction test final"
	partime = 30
	music = "D_MESSAG"
	bossaction = clear
	bossaction = Fatso, 23, 2
	bossaction = Arachnotron, 58, 1
}

MAP02 works perfectly, MAP05 works up to the point you can see the arach. other than the monsters MAPs 02 & 04 are otherwise precise duplicates of each other, MAPs 01, 03, and 05 are all cloned from each other too. Doesn't seem to be any typos in the IDs for each creature. Help?

umapinfo_bossmonster_action_test.zip

5 answers to this question

Ah, yeah, just to confirm what Fork does, I have a DEH lump (really BEX but who's counting) make every enemy death call A_BossAction so this can work. Also required me to make some ACS scripts for the ZDoom side of things to account for mods that replace the monsters, because any that do that overwrite the A_BossDeath calls and break things. That should explain why your Zombieman, DoomImp and HellKnight lines don't do anything.

If MAP05 isn't working then ATM I couldn't tell you why, since Mancubi and Arachnotrons both called that action in vanilla. I'd have to look at it later tonight.

Yes, thank you both! That explains almost everything EXCEPT the fact that linetype 58 (W1 raise floor by 24) is called by neither the Arachs nor the Barons on death. Changing to eg. linetype 15 (S1 raise floor by 24 and change flat) fixes things though. I think that this is both bug and dumb since, if I'm reading the docs correctly (which I have already shown I'm not really capable of, to be fair), 58 should be a permissible action.

still writing the post edit: 66 works too, 92/93/59 don't.

Lastly, perhaps the UMAPINFO docs could be updated to be less ambiguous about what 'boss action' refers to, ie. A_BossDeath? since there are some dimbos out there who might be prone to misunderstandings hem hem

Alright, that's all my questions answered! Thanks again. Hope you guys can find a solution for that bug soon.