Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AnthonyTankHD

hey doom lovers out there do you want to get your hands on the biggest texture pack that have over 7,000 textures

10 hours ago, AnthonyTankHD said:

true and like when i create stuff i dont want to keep everything to myself i gotta share it out cause i am a giver not a taker

So what did you create, exactly?

hey, @AnthonyTankHD; pls don't be discouraged by this. you messed up, but that's okay!! we realize you're new here and everyone makes mistakes, so we're all willing to forgive you so long as you learn from said mistakes

2 hours ago, roadworx said:

hey, @AnthonyTankHD; pls don't be discouraged by this. you messed up, but that's okay!! we realize you're new here and everyone makes mistakes, so we're all willing to forgive you so long as you learn from said mistakes

i am not discourage at all it just that i want to do good things for the community that's all it just that when davidxnewton introduce to ramp i began learning alot more and what texture he use and stuff and i was so inspired by when he encourage other people to get into mapping and when John carmack made doom open source and free to use in 1993 and people started making stuff back in the day when doom was released and made the game open source and release the source code and people went nuts over it and i am the same way since people started to port it into other system i was like let's crank it up a notch and let's see what this thing could do

17 hours ago, kwc said:

I'm gonna be that guy, but you oughta take a look at the copyright/permissions/credits sections of the resource packs you poached for this and consider including credits in/with your .wad

yeah that what happens when you release the source code and made the game open source cause people will go nuts all thanks to John Carmack

aye He's words not mine

17 hours ago, AnthonyTankHD said:

but is that  defeat the purpose of modding

That indeed defeats the purpose of modding in the Doom community. Let me explain.

• Modding people's work is fine, unless the author strictly forbids it so. Most authors enjoy their work being used as the basis for something else.
  • What most authors demand instead, is credits for re-using their assets in your work.
    • This is usually done in a credits.txt file where you credit each and every author for their work.

I am not against megapacks such as yours, but i find that one commodity that they have is the issue of assigning credit. Especially with packs that have a large number of authors associated to it, Giving credit demands some effort. And its easier to credit authors when you just start making the pack, then afterwards.

Mind, i understand why it appeals to people to put everything into a single pack, but the credits part is often forgotten to take into consideration.

Please assign credits for all the authors whose assets are used here through a credits.txt included with the pack.

7 hours ago, StupidBunny said:

I think the people whose resources you used uncredited would differ with this opinion

Benefit of the doubt here.

3 minutes ago, ukiro said:

I'm having trouble following this but just don't redistribute my work without adequate credits. Still haven't seen you address that part.

For a minute i thought rd.'s explanation addressed that, but indeed OP should hand out a credit's file when credit is due.

22 minutes ago, AnthonyTankHD said:

yeah that what happens when you release the source code and made the game open source cause people will go nuts all thanks to John Carmack

aye He's words not mine

The Doom games are not and never have been open source. It's only the Doom engine which is open source. This means all the contents of the iwads, e.g. maps, textures, sprites, and music are still copyrighted material.

They can legally be modified and distributed, but only within the restrictions allowed by the licenses, e.g. your wad can only include content from the game it's intended for. This does mean that all those wads which are for Doom 2 but include Doom 1 only textures (or vice versa) are technically illegal.

Edited by NiGHTMARE

I don't mean to be rude with this, but what's with all the low-effort posts recently on Doomworld that don't seem to respect "Nettiquette" (as I saw on another recent thread)? I mean, it's not that hard...

the best advice I can give newbees is to make mods for your own sake, not others... but still try to be aware of what other people like and think and be aware of what rules you need to follow when modding

make a mod because it NEEDS to be done, because YOU want or need it and then release it within the proper rules that exists in the modding community at large if you think others might enjoy it too also any mods released needs to have atleast a minimum amount of work in it and slapping 10 texture packs in to a single file does not meet this minimum amount of effort needed to warrent making an actual mod

Dude, just make a credits file with just a list of the original authors, and put it in your zip. It's easy as that.

24 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

I don't mean to be rude with this, but what's with all the low-effort posts recently on Doomworld that don't seem to respect "Nettiquette" (as I saw on another recent thread)? I mean, it's not that hard...

Oddly commonly from Americans, too.

15 hours ago, roadworx said:

nah, i'mma stick with my mm2 textures

Heresy! :v

43 minutes ago, ukiro said:

I'm having trouble following this but just don't redistribute my work without adequate credits. Still haven't seen you address that part.

well back then at ID software they Ripped a popular Games and add new levels and texture and put them into a floppy disk and mail them off to paying subscribers

10 minutes ago, AnthonyTankHD said:

well back then at ID software they Ripped a popular Games and add new levels and texture and put them into a floppy disk and mail them off to paying subscribers

1. That is untrue. The closest I can think of from "back then" is Wolfenstein 3D, which is inspired by Muse Software's Castle Wolfenstein; but the latter was a dead expired trademark that was archaic even by "back then"'s standards. It can be argued that, without id, Wolfenstein would have remained a very obscure and unknown name for a long time.

2. This has absolutely nothing to do with you not crediting texture packs from their original authors. Even if it were true, it'd be historic trivia at best.

3. I think you either don't get what people are saying or you just need to get your head checked.

If I could make a suggestion: try putting some effort into typing your posts as well.  I suspect English may not be your first language, and no one can blame you for that; however, things like capitalization and punctuation are literally the least you can do when it comes to presenting yourself, and basic subject-verb agreement isn't far behind.

This might seem unrelated to the question of whether your "texture pack" here was well-considered.  The reason why I suggest it is twofold.  First, it seems like you might have some trouble judging, in general, whether something should be unleashed upon the world in its currently formed state, and typing your posts is a great, simple place to start cultivating some better instincts in that regard.  Secondly, you'll make a much better first impression on people, which in turn will lead to more charitable reactions.  Regardless of what else might be questionable about this undertaking, it sure ain't gonna get things off on the right foot when you present it in a way that verges on shitposting.

6 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

1. That is untrue. The closest I can think of from "back then" is Wolfenstein 3D

It sounds like it could also be talking about Maximum Doom, but that has nothing to do with mailing off to subscribers, so some wires still got crossed there.

e: it's also not ripping off "popular games" (at least not other publishers') or switching levels and textures, so yeeah.

6 minutes ago, jerrysheppy said:

If I could make a suggestion: try putting some effort into typing your posts as well.  I suspect English may not be your first language, and no one can blame you for that; however, things like capitalization and punctuation are literally the least you can do when it comes to presenting yourself, and basic subject-verb agreement isn't far behind.

I mean, many Americans have a hard time understanding their own language, let alone anything people try to tell them.

Just in general, this thread feels like everyone shouting at a ceiling crusher and expecting it to listen and stop. I, too, still wish that he could listen and write a credits.txt – it's literally just three or four lines, why the heck are you so hesitant to do it, it costs you literally nothing man –, but this is starting to turn bleak.

My only fear is that, if it eventually comes down to a clinical dead end and action ends up being taken (like locking the thread), he's gonna pull a "muh First Amendment" elsewhere and tangle himself up in further trouble that way.

I'm stating the obvious, but of course I encourage people to build things using my textures, and to redistribute said textures alongside those creations, as long as I'm given credit. So let's put aside whatever alternate history of id software you're subscribing to, as that is both incorrect and highly irrelevant, and focus on the matter at hand: Read the text files for the texture sets you've combined, and ensure that you adhere to the redistribution and credits requirements described therein. Please.

Excuse me, but what in lucifer's name is this? 7000 Textures all mashed together, combine that with no screenshots or anything. I'm sorry, but this is absolutely dreadful, nevermind the fact that your post is filled to the brim with grammatical errors, and all caps; please, learn how to post correctly. Hell, english isn't even my first language, and yet somehow I can write a far more comprehensive post.

Please learn how to post and write correctly, it will benefit you in the future.

52 minutes ago, AnthonyTankHD said:

I really don't see why this needs to drag on, you can just credit the artists and move on with your life instead of going through all these points on comparisons to ID Software and the definition of open source or whatever.