Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spindel

Introducing my first map: claustrophobic.wad

UPDATED 8/14/21:

Texture alignments fixed and replaced the hellknights in the outdoor section with specres. I thought that part went one for too long.

Links:

https://files.catbox.moe/nio9ue.wad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykgcco3h1m9aama/claustrophobic.wad?dl=0

~~~

UPDATED 8/2/21:

I added a few texture adjustments, some pertaining to secrets so that they are easier to notice. I played with decorations and dynamic lighting this time, so I'd like some opinions on that, since I don't know if that affects compatibility. I also updated the MAPINFO text so that it disables jump and crouch (thanks dmdr). I didn't bother with disabling freelook since I thought that would be too limiting.

I'll continue to update this map when needed. In the meantime I'll work on my next map :)

Thanks and enjoy!

Links (OLD):

https://files.catbox.moe/aioq8e.wad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykgcco3h1m9aama/claustrophobic.wad?dl=0

Lighting Screenshots:

Screenshot_Doom_20210802_142312.png.8a6c4418a16b1c0b69b368b3dc78daa8.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210802_142354.png.e4b35792e963d024369f5097fb0fb5db.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210802_142458.png.ed87922960ecf7eff9e1d790a64c0bbc.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210802_142525.png.841ab5345e30a97b0541c9d92d93a6a1.png

~~~

A mid sized map with focus on map exploration, puzzles and tight spaces. This is the first map I spent any sort of time on. Everything before this was just testing out Slade and UDB.
Tested with GZDoom using the DOOMII UDMF (thanks dmdr) map format and DOOMII iwad. No extra textures, no freelook, jumping or crouching. Any renderer will do (but I prefer the doom renderer). 
Enjoy! Feedback is appreciated :)

OLD LINKS:
https://files.catbox.moe/dikdzy.wad
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykgcco3h1m9aama/claustr ophobic.wad?dl=0

Screenshots:

Screenshot_Doom_20210731_103611.png.c2e5684503b19be07c74dad426b52f26.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210731_103806.png.ea005abf3314b5ef4f6d4b5538053622.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210731_103957.png.b701cb806a588fad1229d960f6b9cfa7.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210731_103927.png.6dda5577dcd6118f88d2e1db5e3bc018.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210731_105322.png.93e9e791e9db64436bc64970c863fde7.png

Edited by spindel : Update, texture alignments and thing editing

Not too shabby, mate. It's a charming little map with some interesting twists and turns and it lives up to its namesake with all its rather narrow corridors that I usually despise, but in this case they work to the map's overall theme and you utilse it rather well with your encounters. I felt the progression was a tad wonky and unclear at first but I got my head around eventually. I also rather enjoyed your little reference to American McGee's tiny trigger box from MAP04. Some neat stuff for sure.

6 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Not too shabby, mate. It's a charming little map with some interesting twists and turns and it lives up to its namesake with all its rather narrow corridors that I usually despise, but in this case they work to the map's overall theme and you utilse it rather well with your encounters. I felt the progression was a tad wonky and unclear at first but I got my head around eventually. I also rather enjoyed your little reference to American McGee's tiny trigger box from MAP04. Some neat stuff for sure.

Thanks for playing it man. I made this fresh off of finishing Doom II and some of the master levels, so I'm sorry if some of the progression is obtuse, lol. I'll touch up on some textures and props in the level and have more people play it before uploading it to IdGames.

PS. you can get that plasma rifle at the end, you just have to look for the button :)

Looks awesome, I'd gladly play but my computer is broken. :( 

I'll bookmark this for later as I love to try people's wads and this looks right up my alley!

I'm gonna be THAT GUY

9 hours ago, spindel said:

the DOOMII map format

this isn't the case, it's a UDMF map for GZDoom. This isn't a bad thing per se but 'DOOMII map format' implies it was made using the older format used in the original game and that it can be played in other ports like eg. Crispy Doom. anyway not really a huge deal but worth knowing about I think.

Actually as long as I'm being annoying, you can put NoJump and NoCrouch in your MAPINFO file (which I think is supposed to be called ZMAPINFO these days to show it's for ZDoom ports but w/e) if you want people not to do those things -- no need to rely on the honour system. Looks like you can do NoFreelook too but if you're gonna go that hard out just design for vanilla or limit removing tbh.

Moving on, I also played and thought the map was fun -- I don't make videos though so you'll just have to take my word for it. The tighter design made the saw actually useful for almost the entire map which was great (normally it's kinda a one use weapon) and the health balance was really good too. I liked the double trap at the exit with the barons (which I expected) and then the archie (which I didn't). Make some more maps soon!

claustrophobia.wad

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Default

Deaths → 0

Saves → none

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k3Mnvgx2D59QPd7Hbb_fPYRPcXwNStT4/view?usp=sharing

A really interesting map, I really enjoyed what this Wad offers due to the fact that it is really varied when it comes to its content, because you start in a totally quiet area and a bit simple, but the more you advance, The Marine realizes the more that the map has many variations in terms of the design of its walls and structures, making them completely different with each step that is taken, but without reaching the total confusion of the route, at least finding all the keys will not It is a big problem, but finding all the secrets if there is. And as for the combat, well I'll be honest, the beginning was a bit hard, but at least, after leaving that area, things become a little simpler, as there is not so much dangerous enemy to face, and also, there is enough ammunition to finish them all without much problem, although of course, this is not very present at the beginning, but until the middle.

On 7/31/2021 at 8:48 PM, dmdr said:

This isn't a bad thing per se but 'DOOMII map format' implies it was made using the older format used in the original game and that it can be played in other ports like eg. Crispy Doom. anyway not really a huge deal but worth knowing about I think.

Actually as long as I'm being annoying, you can put NoJump and NoCrouch in your MAPINFO file (which I think is supposed to be called ZMAPINFO these days to show it's for ZDoom ports but w/e) if you want people not to do those things -- no need to rely on the honour system. Looks like you can do NoFreelook too but if you're gonna go that hard out just design for vanilla or limit removing tbh.

I touched up on this in my update. I'll keep the UDMF stuff in mind. Thanks for the tips!

12 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

A really interesting map, I really enjoyed what this Wad offers due to the fact that it is really varied when it comes to its content, because you start in a totally quiet area and a bit simple, but the more you advance, The Marine realizes the more that the map has many variations in terms of the design of its walls and structures, making them completely different with each step that is taken, but without reaching the total confusion of the route, at least finding all the keys will not It is a big problem, but finding all the secrets if there is. And as for the combat, well I'll be honest, the beginning was a bit hard, but at least, after leaving that area, things become a little simpler, as there is not so much dangerous enemy to face, and also, there is enough ammunition to finish them all without much problem, although of course, this is not very present at the beginning, but until the middle.

I noticed the cheeky rocket jump you pulled off there in the vid. Wasn't expecting it lol. Thanks for trying it out

Well done! I enjoyed the map! Played on HMP because it's morning. I liked the thing when a multi-tiered platform lowers step by step as you kill monsters around it (like the black room with the imps, and later the barons in the outdoor area). The outdoor area (near the lava) felt skippable, though, I don't think you actually have to defeat the monsters, you can just take the small door on your left right away? Not necessary for progression, although you do get the rocket launcher there... so maybe it is necessary after all :)

Keep 'em coming!

A couple of screenshots of misaligned textures if you want to fix them:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210803_095037.png.4cd32437fa8d3dca8d5c34e0d8056001.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210803_095253.png.f612d57e05141ef12f7537c0c3285631.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210803_095344.png.80a281a2025c9e0c290eeed1fdd59aa8.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210803_100001.png.0eb58a27c0a5e7c58f2ee73ba2d7e8ba.png

I completed claustrophobic.wad with LZDoom on Hurt Me Plenty, amazing map design, 90/100. I do not have much criticism for you. This map is probably the closest to resembling stock Doom 2 maps than any other Doom map that I have tested. If you told someone this map was a stock Doom 2 map, people would believe you. You should consider branching out of standard Doom 2 maps, and build your own variety of maps. If you prefer to build Doom 2 maps that are similar to the original Doom maps, I would still play those maps. I prefer Doom maps that are based in a city, which is challenging to build. I usually see people build large tech bases or ruins.