Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dististik

Dehacked monster won't melee attack player

Question

I was working on my first Dehacked monster of a Demon variant last night and while I got most things working, for some reason it won't attack the player. I gave it a melee state and coppied the order that the Demon has for it's melee attack states, but no dice. I have a feeling I'm just overlooking something, but in case it's a little more complicated here's my patch: Link.

My monster is thing 75 (replacing the Chainsaw). Thanks for any help in advance!

9 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Can you upload the sprites you're using so I can test it in-game?

My bad, here's a link to the resources WAD I've been putting together that includes the sprites for it: Link

9 minutes ago, dististik said:

My bad, here's a link to the resources WAD I've been putting together that includes the sprites for it: Link

Hmmm, it works just fine for me. What conditions are you testing under? (source port etc)

It doesn't make any sound tho.

1 minute ago, maxmanium said:

Hmmm, it works just fine for me. What conditions are you testing under? (source port etc)

It doesn't make any sound tho.

No sound is fine, I haven't picked out sound effects for it yet. I was running it in PrBoom+um with -complevel 11.

Yup, that's what I did too. And there's no melee attacks on your end? Just runs around? I'm not sure what the difference could be.

1 minute ago, maxmanium said:

Yup, that's what I did too. And there's no melee attacks on your end? Just runs around? I'm not sure what the difference could be.

Well, it was just running around for the longest time but I made a new level from scratch to have a blank slate and now it works fine lol. Thanks for the help.

28 minutes ago, dististik said:

Well, it was just running around for the longest time but I made a new level from scratch to have a blank slate and now it works fine lol. Thanks for the help.

That would hint that something in the level is preventing it from doing so. Possibly monster-blocking linedefs, or the heights needed to traverse to the player being too tall for the monster to step up on.

See if your old map fails anything here: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Monster_behavior

21 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

That would hint that something in the level is preventing it from doing so. Possibly monster-blocking linedefs, or the heights needed to traverse to the player being too tall for the monster to step up on.

See if your old map fails anything here: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Monster_behavior

The odd thing to me is it wasn't a complex level, I just opened up Doom Builder, made a small square, and then plopped in a player start and the custom monster to make sure I did everything right.

IIRC Doom levels need at least 2 sectors for monsters to be able to attack the player.

Edited by Vermil