Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

yay, not bad for the first map! nice architecture, and great lighting (many new mappers tend to forget/ignore lighting, but you used it very good). and nasty traps. ;-)

there's one thing that may make your next maps better: verticality. yes, your map is not flat, but most fights happens on the same elevation, there's mostly no above/below dangers. you can use monsters as turrets by placing them on ledges, and this creates some more tension. experiment with this a little, and you will start to "feel" how to use it to add some "spice" to your fights.

yet the map is fun to play, and if this is your first "real" map, then i can't wait to see more! ;-)

p.s.: don't worry, it if works in Choco, then it will work everywhere. for all means Choco is the same as the original DOS Doom, just easier to run on modern OSes.

Intense and well executed for a first map! You even killed @Biodegradable on his play through. I never managed to pull that off! 😅

Hope to see more of you Ultimate Doom inspired maps. Welcome to Doomworld!

I liked this!

It's definitely got some tough moments and traps, especially when the first two heavies show up before you have a weapon to deal with them effectively.  Some extra impetus to move past them would be helpful - it wasn't until I ran entirely out of ammo that I thought to run past them to the elevators to get the SSG that I realized it was up there, so maybe moving it further forward for the player to see would be helpful.  I also noticed up there that the cacos can travel through the bars, in case that wasn't your intent.

There's an odd stair that seems to glitch in the entrance to the beige room - it lowers and raises, but does nothing else that I could tell.  Also in that room - the fake door trap is a pretty fun gotcha, but never getting to actually open it (that I could find) was kind of a let down.  Assuming it isn't a secret that went over my head.

If that's really your first map then great job! It plays well enough, and doesn't really contain many of the classic "first map" errors like every room being a rectangle or misaligned textures everywhere. A few things I noticed:

- The door to your right at the start appears to have nothing in it? Wasn't sure what the point of this small room was.

- As Biodegradable pointed out, I'm not sure why you have 5 secrets in one place. Once you've established the first secret, the player is likely to have already seen the SoulSphere through the earlier window, and you have Revenants around the corner, so the natural thing to do is walk around. It's unlikely the player won't find the SoulSphere once they've found the section of wall that opens. That means this can really just be one secret.

- I couldn't seem to find a red key anywhere, so I'm not sure what the red door near the start was about.

But as I said, for a first map, there is a lot to like here. A very solid start to mapping!

I gave your map a whirl but I didn't play as good as I would like and I couldn't find one damn secret

I was distracted because I thought the world was ending I didn't know if there was a tornado thunderstorm or if we were being bombed but it was these really epic fireworks

Anyway really challenging good first map with a lot of traps and stuff you're going to definitely be torturing people in the future

hi , thank you a lot every one for playing it and giving me feedback about everything ! im really happy and also surprised that everyone has liked the level so much. and i am extremely glad that everything has worked out this well for being my first map.

for now i have updated the level. i have worked on it a lot and i have refined stuff and every thing. if you look at the first post i made again you have to download the SCHAASCHAH zip file for the updated  version. it includes some enemy rebalancing and changes , not too many , and it includes bug fixes like that 4 secrets. i dont know how that happened lmao. and there is a bit more health every where. also some enemy and item positions are different because i thought some places seemed a bit like , bullet spongy and such. you ll see when you play it . and now i wanna take some time to respond to every thing and all. i had reached my post limit yesterday so i wasnt really able to respond to anything further but i promise i had seen and read every thing properly. im sorry for that. didnt realize the forum had a posting limit

thanks to @Biodegradable for that detailed video and analysis ! it has given me a lot of clues about the maps issues and such and it was cool to watch some one play this , thanks a lot for the effort i appreciate that a lot. and it felt kind of like going to school and pissing off your teacher when you screamed "motherfxxxer" into your mic llol.

@leschnyhan  in case youj want to replay the updated version too ive also added that door switch but its a secret so i wont spoil that just yet lmao.

@clippy  erm  are you ok? was there some thing going on earlier? i hope you re fine .. and thanks for the feedback torturing people is my job lmao

no problem its ok :)  well now you have imma watch this video and also a question if you wanna answer it what was that about the world ending or or a tornado ?

ok i watched the video and i got a question at oßne point you said that the map was weird ? but you didnt rlly explain what about it is weird id like to know. and thanks for the video it was rlly cool to watch 

Basically, I played normally for the first attempt, somehow got cornered by mancubi and died. Was more aggressive in the second attempt, died again, eventually resorted to some fairly suicidal speedrun-style play and eventually got through to what appeared to be the exit, but something went wrong with the map. It happens at 9:27 in the video. I have no idea what went wrong; I played in DSDA-Doom with complevel 2, and I can't think of any reason why a map that works in Chocolate Doom wouldn't work there, but I don't actually know anything about how maps are made so that isn't surprising.

Edit: I played the wad in "wad.zip", not "SCHAASHCAHSCH.zip". Didn't notice that one of those was an updated version.

oh im sorry for this happening , oh gosh well idk how this happened i personally play with gzdoom i only used chocolade doom to test this wad. looks like dsda doom is maybe just not a good port or some thing idk ? i never heard of dsda doom before tbh so i cant rlly help you im sorry  : /  well if you wanna try it again you can download the updated version i made i think that might run better , so if u wanna try again no problem but if that doesnt do anything then idk .. im sry

also  your game play looks so good you seem to be a lot better at doom than i am lol and thanks for the effort to make a video i appreciate it a lot

oh yeah and taht exit thing at the end isnt even that bad any way i mean its the last room of the wad. there arent even enemies or some thing in that last exit room so you havent rlly missed anything just in case you were wondering

1 hour ago, FranziskaVonCaco said:

oh yeah and taht exit thing at the end isnt even that bad any way i mean its the last room of the wad. there arent even enemies or some thing in that last exit room so you havent rlly missed anything just in case you were wondering

So I basically did finish the map in that first video. That's good to know.

1 hour ago, FranziskaVonCaco said:

oh im sorry for this happening , oh gosh well idk how this happened i personally play with gzdoom i only used chocolade doom to test this wad

Don't worry too much about it. Part of the purpose of posting a map in the forums is for playtesters to find bugs like this so they can be pointed out and fixed.

I played the updated version of the map in Chocolate Doom, but experienced the same problem at the exit. Maybe it's dependent on a linedef I didn't cross or optional switch I didn't press, idk.

FranziskaVonCaco first Wad

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Default

Deaths → 0

Saves → none

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dqrlRzWoIBId0iehWjrysI9oYJF3zRZE/view?usp=sharing

A very curious map, due to the fact that it has an extremely intense beginning, and that things do not feel calm until the end of everything is where it looks much better, but hey, visually, I must say that the map if it has really left me interested in the kind of structures that are made in each of the rooms in which they are seen with different designs, therefore, and despite the fact that it mostly consists of a lot of toxic soils, the truth is is that at least much of all the Wad is well designed, and I say only much because I have realized that there are certain areas that are not very well designed, but that do not affect progress as much. The fight here was very good, with its good dose of difficulty at the beginning, and in the middle of the progress, it was also good in the end zone but it was not as intense as the previous parts so 2 out of 3 is not bad at all.

48 minutes ago, Pseudonaut said:

So I basically did finish the map in that first video. That's good to know.

Don't worry too much about it. Part of the purpose of posting a map in the forums is for playtesters to find bugs like this so they can be pointed out and fixed.

I played the updated version of the map in Chocolate Doom, but experienced the same problem at the exit. Maybe it's dependent on a linedef I didn't cross or optional switch I didn't press, idk.

oh gosh well when i play the map it always works for me idk why it doesnt work out for you.  i mean  you seem to be the only one who has those problems im rlly sry i have no idea what could becauseing this ... i mean so far  youre  the only one who has complained it tho idk if anyone else would have the same problems im really sry ... maybe its something with dsda doom that is the only explanation thatm akes sense to me right now . well maybe if some one who has more knowledge about the inner dephts of the game i guess maybe we could get them  to help us with that problem that d be pretty neat  :) so if s oome one has know ledge about this please post about it so we can figure this out .

42 minutes ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dqrlRzWoIBId0iehWjrysI9oYJF3zRZE/view?usp=sharing

A very curious map, due to the fact that it has an extremely intense beginning, and that things do not feel calm until the end of everything is where it looks much better, but hey, visually, I must say that the map if it has really left me interested in the kind of structures that are made in each of the rooms in which they are seen with different designs, therefore, and despite the fact that it mostly consists of a lot of toxic soils, the truth is is that at least much of all the Wad is well designed, and I say only much because I have realized that there are certain areas that are not very well designed, but that do not affect progress as much. The fight here was very good, with its good dose of difficulty at the beginning, and in the middle of the progress, it was also good in the end zone but it was not as intense as the previous parts so 2 out of 3 is not bad at all. 

oohh  another video thanks  :)   and im happy you like it.  i have a question  tho so when  you said the map is "curious"  what  do you mean by that ? i guess its a language barrier because english is not actually my first language but yeah what does it mean ? oh also what areas did you not like and what about them  would have to improved ?

@FranziskaVonCaco it absolutely happens on all vanilla-compatible ports. you've used switch-type action on the exit door, and didn't assigned a tag to it. switch-type action doesn't work this way in vanilla-compatible ports, only in modern ports which workarounded that mapping bug. either change that to a normal door, or assign a tag to door sector, and link it to your linedef.

p.s.: you seem to have more such "tagless" switch actions. they all should be fixed.

18 minutes ago, FranziskaVonCaco said:

what is "tagless"

where "tag" field is not set (i.e. 0). in vanilla, door-like linedef action with tag 0 doesn't always mean "only this sector", sometimes it means "all sectors with tag 0" (i.e. effectively the whole map). basically, any "S" action shouldn't have tag field set to 0, it is a mapping bug.

This was a really neat map, loved the design of it and it kinda busted my balls a few times (I haven't played in a hot minute so it took me a moment to get back into the flow of things) but it was pretty good for a first map!

Good first map, fairly fast-paced.  The only thing I would say is that there is some texture misalignment.  But not everyone notices such things, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

5 hours ago, FranziskaVonCaco said:

i have a question  tho so when  you said the map is "curious"  what  do you mean by that ?

By this I meant that the map was very interesting to me, and that there were certain parts that at first left me with some doubts, for example, that it seems that there is a filler door at the beginning of the level, it is also completely unknown where it is that there is the red key to the other door that is at the beginning, and also that you will add several secrets but that these were quickly easy to discover in the secret entrance to the Soulsphere, and finally, I still have doubts about where it is I found the last secret, but out of all that, it really was a great map that you made.

10 hours ago, FranziskaVonCaco said:

ok i watched the video and i got a question at oßne point you said that the map was weird ? but you didnt rlly explain what about it is weird id like to know. and thanks for the video it was rlly cool to watch 

hmmmm don't remember calling map weird, when did I say this? I was super distracted last night because we had unexpected fireworks for the first time since the pandemic. I didn't know what in the world was going on and it threw me off bigtime lol - it sounded like a bunch of earthquakes and explosions were happening

I felt bad so I made a better video - this time I didn't say anything but noticed a few things

-bars in SSG room are not blocked, you can walk through them and you didn't put bars on the opposite sides

-Grabbing soul sphere secret before clicking on the door can cause confusion as the door opens and the player may not know how to progress - I had to click on where I remembered the door was

This was fun to play and try not to die on

Nice map, fun and challenging! I liked the traps/monster closets, I've found them fair overall. Good vanilla D2 texturing and lighting, the theme is consistent through the whole level.

The gameplay is fun in UV, I was a little short on ammo because I couldn't find any secrets until I activated prboom+ compatibility with common mapping errors, as mentioned above, remote door actions require a tag for the door, you can solve this giving a tag to each door or you could change the action to a local door type (no tag needed in this case). With this fixed there wouldn't be no ammo shortage.

All in all it's a very good first map, keep 'em coming!!!

9 hours ago, Kor said:

Good first map, fairly fast-paced.  The only thing I would say is that there is some texture misalignment.  But not everyone notices such things, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

oh gosh thats rlly nice thx  :)

7 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

By this I meant that the map was very interesting to me, and that there were certain parts that at first left me with some doubts, for example, that it seems that there is a filler door at the beginning of the level, it is also completely unknown where it is that there is the red key to the other door that is at the beginning, and also that you will add several secrets but that these were quickly easy to discover in the secret entrance to the Soulsphere, and finally, I still have doubts about where it is I found the last secret, but out of all that, it really was a great map that you made.

ohh okay well  good to know  i just havent heard some one use the  word " curious " for that i always thought thats meant to be like in , i am very curious as in very interested so i thought omg what has the map developed a brain or-  you get the idea lmao sorry for the confusion  :)

and the red door and the other empty room they have been removed as i had purpose for them and i have also extended the map , so there is a secret at the end in the newer version that ive posted and if you find that , you re gonna get another fight at the end i also had a general idea which is inspired by doom eternals slayer gates so basically i hate key hunts in doom so i thought hey what if i only have the blue and the yellow key to be keys that open doors and only use the red key to to make slayer gates which then will be marked as secrets every where ? well wouldnt that be a neat idea ?

7 hours ago, Clippy said:

hmmmm don't remember calling map weird, when did I say this? I was super distracted last night because we had unexpected fireworks for the first time since the pandemic. I didn't know what in the world was going on and it threw me off bigtime lol - it sounded like a bunch of earthquakes and explosions were happening

I felt bad so I made a better video - this time I didn't say anything but noticed a few things

-bars in SSG room are not blocked, you can walk through them and you didn't put bars on the opposite sides

-Grabbing soul sphere secret before clicking on the door can cause confusion as the door opens and the player may not know how to progress - I had to click on where I remembered the door was 

This was fun to play and try not to die on

oh gosh im rlly sory  i didnt want to make you feel bad  that totaly wasnt my intent at all  im rlly sorry if i made you feel bad  : /  well it was in the old video at like 9:56 is where you started saying that i was wondering what you meant

oh yea and thx for the hint with the bars i totally forgot about them :) and cool video btw