Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate Doom 2 from memory! (Finished)

7 minutes ago, Engired said:

I never noticed that the entryway is too high, I assumed it was like the original. I guess it should be fine then.

Ooh, for some reason I was convinced you can't go through the front door and worked from this assumpting when trying to remember the layout. I guess I shouldn't change it for sportsmanship's sake.

I'll rebalance shells later.

If you want my take, I think item balancing, maybe monster balancing, is fine, but general map design shouldn't be touched too much since, as you said, this is how people remember the map. I mean, as long as it's actually how they remember the map and not trying to glam it up, if you know what i mean.

4 minutes ago, mistylear19 said:

If you want my take, I think item balancing, maybe monster balancing, is fine, but general map design shouldn't be touched too much since, as you said, this is how people remember the map. I mean, as long as it's actually how they remember the map and not trying to glam it up, if you know what i mean.

The only real geometry changes should be the game breaking ones, and the ones that break tutorials for things. Other than that, it's up to the creator to do what they want. And there's only really that running tutorial.

8 minutes ago, Engired said:

The only real geometry changes should be the game breaking ones, and the ones that break tutorials for things. Other than that, it's up to the creator to do what they want. And there's only really that running tutorial.

I meant in general, since you mentioned some things being 'too small' or something I believe. Also, I Believe you mentioned something about keys in Map02, but keys show progression, which is part of map design, IMO. You also made mention of a door not being the correct kind of door, but if they remembered it closing, or never closing, that's part of the 'by memory,' right? Of course, it's your project so you can do what you want. xD

I'm just saying that if we spend too much  time 'correcting' stuff like that, if it's not inherently 'broken,' then it kinda defeats the purpose of the map, right? I'm not trying to be too judgemental or anything, if I'm coming off that way. Dx

1 minute ago, mistylear19 said:

I meant in general, since you mentioned some things being 'too small' or something I believe. Also, I Believe you mentioned something about keys in Map02, but keys show progression, which is part of map design, IMO. You also made mention of a door not being the correct kind of door, but if they remembered it closing, or never closing, that's part of the 'by memory,' right? Of course, it's your project so you can do what you want. xD

Just to avoid confusion, there's already going to be plenty of confusion!

6 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

@Mystic 256 was also very interested in mapping in this project, he's just got late for this. Maybe we could give him a chance? I don't insist, I just do remember Mystic's posts here.

That's fair. The only reason why I specifically tagged Peter is because I was very tired and only remembered his post mentioning MAP15.

3 hours ago, Engired said:

Map24 -

First half is way harder, second half is easier. Needs those barons back, assuming there were barons with the spectres in that silver room.

You must be mistaken - I checked the original MAP24, and there are no enemies in the blue computer area (I assume that's what you're talking about?) other than pinkies.

I mean, if you want me to add more demons to that room, I can do it.

1 hour ago, MundyC said:

That's fair. The only reason why I specifically tagged Peter is because I was very tired and only remembered his post mentioning MAP15.

You must be mistaken - I checked the original MAP24, and there are no enemies in the blue computer area (I assume that's what you're talking about?) other than pinkies.

I mean, if you want me to add more demons to that room, I can do it.

I thought I was misremebering, but adding more monsters near the end would help. Bit too easy in the second half. I don't remember the original too well though, so it may be like that in the original too.

1 hour ago, Engired said:

I thought I was misremebering, but adding more monsters near the end would help. Bit too easy in the second half. I don't remember the original too well though, so it may be like that in the original too.

Alright, I looked over the map and added a few more foes in the latter half; five pinkies in the computer room's central area, and an extra mancubus in the room shaped like a F. I also tweaked the slime maze's door so that the cacos and imps can escape.

Download (version 1.1)

I couldn't find any other enemy groups near the end that I missed (or add brand-new ones without major annoyance), so this'll probably be the only revision unless I somehow broke something.

Added a revision of the map with suggestions in mind.

Not sure what alignement issues there are in the starting room, but this texture just plain doesn't tile vertically well. In any case I added some decorations to help horizontal aligment at least.

I also removed all shell picups on hard. Shotgunners offer plenty of spare shells still but now you need to be a little more prudent.

underhalls-3.zip

Here is my submission:

Slot: 12

Title: Tory The Fuck

Skills: All

Tested in: Crispy Doom

Download: 12bymem.zip

Bare in mind I didn't check the original map at any point before, after or midway. I made this entirely from memory flashes and general intuition, so there may be some (or a lot of) inaccuracy - texturing for sure, some item placement, skills not on par with sandy's - so to complement that I added my touch here and there, nothing that would break the rules in the OP as far as I'm aware... Any feedback is welcome.

Edited by galileo31dos01

3 hours ago, RileyXY1 said:

As it appears that someone hasn't taken MAP15 yet, I guess I'll do that one.

Mystic256 seems to have taken that one last page, I'm waiting for confirmation first though.

3 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Added a revision of the map with suggestions in mind.

Not sure what alignement issues there are in the starting room, but this texture just plain doesn't tile vertically well. In any case I added some decorations to help horizontal aligment at least.

I also removed all shell picups on hard. Shotgunners offer plenty of spare shells still but now you need to be a little more prudent.

underhalls-3.zip

There's a line that runs through a part of the texture, but it is still a difficult texture to work with.

13 minutes ago, Engired said:

Mystic256 seems to have taken that one last page, I'm waiting for confirmation first though.

im kinda torn, on one hand I want to work on it but on the other I kinda want to be nice and let riley have the slot because there are no other slots left and I don't if there will be a TNT or Plutonia version of this in the future yet

"You have wandered deeply into the infested starport. Ahead of you stands a bastion of hell, a fortified zone. The only way you can save the remaining humans of Earth is to blast your way through. You take your weapon in hand. This should be easy."

--- I'll contribute to this project since I love doom. I don't know how to map, and I don't know how to make midis, but I can critique from memory. xD So, to give an official contribution, here's my "Map 06 text from memory." I only really remembered the first two lines, and i remembered there being more, but I couldn't remember anything about what it is... so here's my rendition of it, knowing what the first twelve maps or so maps were about, story-wise.

Will you accept?

EDIT: I went back to look at what that text screen actually said. God, I missed the entire part about the technology being subverted by demons. But otherwise, I think I did okay, because it does actually talk about the 'switch holding the earth's population hostage.' I just reworded it a bit. xD

EDIT 2: I could take Map 32's message, too. I don't really remember any of the other ones, though. Like I forgot Nirvana had one completely. I might be able to get 90% of the final message, though. (I didn't look at what they said, I just looked at what maps had the messages) I also vaguely remember some of the one before Suburbs, too... Never mind. I just looked that up. The one I'm thinking of is the one that's been claimed for Map 12. xD

Edited by mistylear19

@Engired I'd like to sign up for composing a midi

Gonna be taking D_RUNNIN

Edited by Korp

I'd Like to remake D_DDTBLU (the midi of map08), if it hasn't been taken yet please.

Edit: Just started working on it.

Edited by mxbobbie49

3 hours ago, mistylear19 said:

"You have wandered deeply into the infested starport. Ahead of you stands a bastion of hell, a fortified zone. The only way you can save the remaining humans of Earth is to blast your way through. You take your weapon in hand. This should be easy."

--- I'll contribute to this project since I love doom. I don't know how to map, and I don't know how to make midis, but I can critique from memory. xD So, to give an official contribution, here's my "Map 06 text from memory." I only really remembered the first two lines, and i remembered there being more, but I couldn't remember anything about what it is... so here's my rendition of it, knowing what the first twelve maps or so maps were about, story-wise.

Will you accept?

EDIT: I went back to look at what that text screen actually said. God, I missed the entire part about the technology being subverted by demons. But otherwise, I think I did okay, because it does actually talk about the 'switch holding the earth's population hostage.' I just reworded it a bit. xD

EDIT 2: I could take Map 32's message, too. I don't really remember any of the other ones, though. Like I forgot Nirvana had one completely. I might be able to get 90% of the final message, though. (I didn't look at what they said, I just looked at what maps had the messages) I also vaguely remember some of the one before Suburbs, too... Never mind. I just looked that up. The one I'm thinking of is the one that's been claimed for Map 12. xD

Yes, I wanted to do that last time but nobody could.

2 hours ago, Engired said:

Yes, I wanted to do that last time but nobody could.

Final Message:

"The horrible visage of the icon crumbles before you. As you pump the final rockets into its brain, its tentacles flail about with its dying breath, destroying most of Hell. You wonder where bad people will go when they die, now?

You climb back up out of the pit of Hell to look upon the devastation of your planet. You guess you better call the humans that are left back down to Earth. You figure fixing Earth will be a Hell of a lot more fun than ruining it was."

Map 32:

"Congratulations! You found the Super-Secret level! You better blaze through this one!"

So, I wrote those two at the same time as the other one, just in case you said I should go ahead.

The final message, I paraphrased its tentacles thrashing about, and put in the 'bad people dying' into the first paragraph. I totally missed the whole 'you did it' part of the second paragraph but inserted my own message that I thought would have been similar, but it turns out there was nothing about getting humans back home.

The secret message on map 32... I got it nearly right. I was four symbols off -- The first exclamation point should be a comma, there's no hyphen in super secret, and it should be "You'd" not "You."

I'll leave the Map 12 one to the guy that claimed it already, and I don't remember shit on the Nirvana one (like I said, I didn't even remember that one existing) and I don't remember how the game congratulates you on finding Wolfenstein... Though I could write up a completely wrong one for Wolfenstein if you'd like. xD

13 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Here is my submission:

Slot: 12

Title: Tory The Fuck

Skills: All

Tested in: Crispy Doom

Download: 12bymem.zip

Bare in mind I didn't check the original map at any point before, after or midway. I made this entirely from memory flashes and general intuition, so there may be some (or a lot of) inaccuracy - texturing for sure, some item placement, skills not on par with sandy's - so to complement that I added my touch here and there, nothing that would break the rules in the OP as far as I'm aware... Any feedback is welcome.

Bit too many mancubi, and also too many lost souls. Especially now that it's more cramped, it does make things harder. Other than that, no issues that I know of so far.

I can't really map but I'd volunteer to redraw the BOSSBACK png assuming I saw correctly and nobody took it yet. 320x200 right?

2 minutes ago, mxbobbie49 said:

I just started making map15, if it hasn't been taken yet.

I think RileyXY1 claimed it first

1 hour ago, kasin said:

I can't really map but I'd volunteer to redraw the BOSSBACK png assuming I saw correctly and nobody took it yet. 320x200 right?

Yes, I'm pretty sure all of those graphics are 320x200 if I remember correctly.