Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate Doom 2 from memory! (Finished)

I've already started my work on MAP15. Notably, until it's completed, I'm not going to play the original map or watch people play it.

Edited by RileyXY1

1 minute ago, RileyXY1 said:

I've already started my work on MAP15.

I guess ill let you have slot , i did already start on mine but the power keeps going out here so i lost some progress so the set backs are getting annoying

2 minutes ago, Mystic 256 said:

I guess ill let you have slot , i did already start on mine but the power keeps going out here so i lost some progress so the set backs are getting annoying

Thank you.

I watched Decino play episode 4 of something's not wrong last night and noticed a staggering lack of quality control. What's up with that? 2 broken maps and I don't know what E4M4 was supposed to be. 

What's up with that?

Just now, Pistoolkip said:

I watched Decino play episode 4 of something's not wrong last night and noticed a staggering lack of quality control. What's up with that? 2 broken maps and I don't know what E4M4 was supposed to be. 

What's up with that?

My maps were the only broken ones, and it's lifts. For some reason nobody commented on them, even though I specifically asked for how it should be tested. I'm trying to test most of the maps myself to avoid any confusion, and to speed things up. I'm trying to specifically avoid big detailed maps this time too, but it's going to be hard.

12 minutes ago, Engired said:

My maps were the only broken ones, and it's lifts. For some reason nobody commented on them, even though I specifically asked for how it should be tested. I'm trying to test most of the maps myself to avoid any confusion, and to speed things up. I'm trying to specifically avoid big detailed maps this time too, but it's going to be hard.

I guess that's what happens when everyone uses GZDoom. You should always test in Crispy at least once.

39 minutes ago, Engired said:

GZDoom changes a few things, tag 0 behaviour in particular. Crispy is a good choice since it's limit-removing by default, PrBoom+ with -complevel 2 parameter is the other viable option.

51 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

What's up with that?

As long as the layout and the monsters are where you think they are, I don't mind adding a bit of glitz and glam to the level to make it less drab-looking, especially if it's a level like that one. The only thing that seemed really off for how someone would remember it was the secret-filled area. I could see the layout of the rest, even if he added glam like those cages holding humans and the pillars surrounding the SoulSphere, which I'm fine with as I said.

But you can argue that's against the spirit of the project, which I can get, too. Thankfully, I don't think there's any map in Doom 2 that just uses the same damn brown wall texture throughout the entire map. Same with the little spider design on the hand in E2M2 or the hanging vines on one cave in the same map. Buuut, I'm not map lead so I don't get final say, I'm just the text screen girl. xD

16 minutes ago, mistylear19 said:

As long as the layout and the monsters are where you think they are, I don't mind adding a bit of glitz and glam to the level to make it less drab-looking, especially if it's a level like that one. The only thing that seemed really off for how someone would remember it was the secret-filled area. I could see the layout of the rest, even if he added glam like those cages holding humans and the pillars surrounding the SoulSphere, which I'm fine with as I said.

But you can argue that's against the spirit of the project, which I can get, too. Thankfully, I don't think there's any map in Doom 2 that just uses the same damn brown wall texture throughout the entire map. Same with the little spider design on the hand in E2M2 or the hanging vines on one cave in the same map. Buuut, I'm not map lead so I don't get final say, I'm just the text screen girl. xD

I don't mind them myself, but the youtube comment section acts like the whole wad is the worst thing ever created whenever it happens. It seems like it's best to avoid them, as I'm trying to make this project far better than the first.

By the way, did another text screen, this time for Map 31:

"Congratulations, you found the secret level! But something seems wrong; this corner of hell seems different, somehow. Like it wasn't built by demons... just who the Hell are the denizens here? And why does it seem so familiar...?"

So... yeah, probably the worst one so far, but I did warn you I barely remembered it. The only thing that stuck out to me in the original was the way they phrased "this corner of hell" and the fact it wasn't built by demons despite being in Hell.

Anyway, this one is properly cursed, so have at it! I really will leave the other two alone for now, until we get closer to that date of completion, and if they're still not done, I'll give them a shot. I already took a look at Nirvana's message, and I really didn't rememember it at all, but give me a couple months and I'll forget completely again, except probably a few details.

EDIT: Also, if you're naming the text screens for what map they appear *before,* then you should change the map 06 one to map 07. If you're changing them for what map they appear *after,* you should change Map 32 to Map 31 and this one would be Map 15.

Edited by mistylear19

5 hours ago, Engired said:

I can create a new E4M4 and E4M5, as the former was completely unfaithful to the original and way too detailed, while the latter is completely broken.

man, I had to use BOTH peeks just to look at those wall pipes and it still was impossible.
BOSSBACK.png.0f0532064006a65f7d586a5887957a65.png
edit: shoot I forgot to ask if I'm supposed to use a specific palette, or is this fine?
well anyways here's an indexed version, hopefully it works better
BOSSBACK2.png.13331e4ebd5ea17342629f1fd54654ae.png
btw are we not doing INTERPIC for this project? it is a pretty central image IMO

Edited by kasin

8 hours ago, RileyXY1 said:

I can create a new E4M4 and E4M5, as the former was completely unfaithful to the original and way too detailed, while the latter is completely broken.

I can fix e4m5, it's not actually too broken. A new e4m4 would be cool to see though.

Map slot:       26
Map name:    Lonely Me
Author:         Pistoolkip
Difficulty set: Yes
Coop:            Yes
Deathmatch:  Sure
Tested in:      GZDoom, Crispy, PRBoom+

Description:     The abandoned, forgettable mines. Lots of caco's and chaingunners, pretty much unbeatable without the secrets

Method:
I played through the level once, closed DOOM, then made as many notes as I could remember and immediatly started
mapping the general layout and most important items, adding more details later.

End Result:
Texture work and general layout are pretty spot on, though my version is a lot darker. I couldn't remember most of the item and monster placement. I also forgot about a room and had a lot of difficulty getting the first secret to circle back to the start. I decided to solve it best I could without reopening the map and it works well. 
This version of the map also seems to be more challenging, with a lot less health and slightly more enemies.

Deliberate Changes:
Increased the difficulty somewhat
Added some additional lighting details
Made switches and doorways more apparent
Made the last trap more difficult
Enhanced the visuals of the exit room

Update:
Fixed the missing lower untagged
Moved some items
Added a box of ammo
Moved some monsters

Update 2:
Added some more ammo in main area, removed some ammo in secret area's
Moved blue key back a bit to prevent player from grabbing it without setting off trap

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210818_002720.png.1fa3bbec1de14f1be7116b8c46e53202.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210818_002748.png.e0d4226cab74047afb4e4d10ce043384.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210818_002811.png.af4dc95db4fd2d59c3a5155ee6457c9f.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210818_010640.png.9e9cb444bfb7267677fdb96bd2349818.png

824957401_26Comparison.png.473c42b40fb2d4aa64487182b3b7f858.png

26 Lonely Me.zip

Edited by Pistoolkip : updated map

Here's Map 23: Barrels 'o' Fun

Tested in PrBoom+um, Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom

Some things I remembered, others I don't, and a couple are deliberate changes.

Barrels_o_Fun.zip

5 hours ago, T.Will said:

Barrels_o_Fun.zip

The left room in the area past the pinky ambush needs a strafe jump to be able to be jumped across. Strafe jumping was not a thing in the original doom, so that platform needs to be moved a bit closer. Seems to be good so far though!

7 hours ago, T.Will said:

Barrels_o_Fun.zip

Just tried the map in Crispy. 
-No major bugs found

-While there are some differences, I think you did very well building this level from memory.

Cons:
-Starting area is way too dark. Also the blinking lights make it so you barely can see anything
- Strafe jump needed as mentioned by Engired
-Two of the pinkies at the BFG are stuck 
-I died instantly when entering the left teleporter at the BFG
-You really upped the monster count, even at lower difficulties. The amount of pain elementals is just brutal

-Some of the barrels are really close together, making it very difficult to navigate through them in time. I don't know if this is on purpose.

On 8/15/2021 at 9:25 PM, galileo31dos01 said:

Here is my submission:

Slot: 12

Title: Tory The Fuck

Skills: All

Tested in: Crispy Doom

Download: 12bymem.zip

Bare in mind I didn't check the original map at any point before, after or midway. I made this entirely from memory flashes and general intuition, so there may be some (or a lot of) inaccuracy - texturing for sure, some item placement, skills not on par with sandy's - so to complement that I added my touch here and there, nothing that would break the rules in the OP as far as I'm aware... Any feedback is welcome.

It's the factory. Most of what I remember about it, so you did a great job there. There seem to be a lot more monsters though, especially at UV, but I didn't have too much difficulty at HMP. No bugs found (in GZDoom). Good job!

Edit: Forgot to mention a bug. If you walk over the raising bridge too quickly you can't get to the other side. 

Screenshot_Doom_20210818_112224.png.ff90f0bb8f92c0c02817c5ad8266b2d1.png

Edited by Pistoolkip

On 8/15/2021 at 8:43 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

Added a revision of the map with suggestions in mind.

Not sure what alignement issues there are in the starting room, but this texture just plain doesn't tile vertically well. In any case I added some decorations to help horizontal aligment at least.

I also removed all shell picups on hard. Shotgunners offer plenty of spare shells still but now you need to be a little more prudent.

underhalls-3.zip

Well, this is a very different Underhalls to what I remember, but all the major elements are there. No bugs found (in Crispy). The map could use some better lighting too, as the lighting is quite flat, maybe some more detailing, and some items wouldn't hurt either (health + armor bonusses). But overall, solid map that's in line with what this CP is about. 

On 8/14/2021 at 2:25 PM, Skronkidonk said:

Okay I'm finished with my map04. Took me about 3 hours but was fun. The focus was always a memorable level for me so I know a few odd details like how some of the lights are untextured on the top. I have deathmatch starts, Co-op starts, Multiplayer weapons, and I gave more or less pickups and enemies depending on what difficulty you are playing on.

I looked at it 2 times and played it 2 times.

Enjoy

Playtested In DSDA and Crispy

Just Focus.zip

JUSTFOCUS1.png

JUSTFOCUS2.png

JUSTFOCUS3.png

Great attempt at remaking the focus. Layout and gameplay seems to be in line with the original, including the stupid little box at the red key.

Three points of improvement though:
The map looks and feels a little boxey. More than I remember from the original. You repeat a lot of the same textures, too

Lighting in the starting area a little flat, and the lighting in the unlit sectors in the hallway is a little brighter than I remember

The last room is a little big: I can't straferun to the switch, and the chaingunners can't shoot over the bridge to the hallway on the other side. 

No major issues found and the map plays well. 

Screenshot_Doom_20210818_114049.png.f5be0117c4ad6fb9c37272541421c8ef.png

Please change this floor texture

On 8/1/2021 at 3:18 PM, Worriedidiot said:

I was completely bored, so I did MAP32

Name: Gross

Difficulty settings: Yes

Coop: Yes

Deathmatch: No

Ports Tested: GzDoom, Crispy Doom

MAP32_Memory.rar

Yeah, sure. A little more smaller (so less 'Grosse), and as I think somebody else mentioned, you didn't include two of the secrets. But if you don't remember them, that's how it works, isn't it? 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:51 AM, Origamyde said:

My submission for MAP01.

EntrywayDOOM (Doom II Recreated From Memory Project).zip

Name : (Someone's) Standing on the Entryway

Difficulty Settings : No (UV by default)

Co-op : Yes

Deathmatch : Yes

It's Entryway, yet slightly different. All the set pieces, enemies, items, etc were pretty spot on.

However, your texture work is a little sloppy and could use some improvement. And you forgot to set a linedef in the imp closet to impassable

Screenshot_Doom_20210818_125730.png.c3c66134603023f9706ce46936e82959.png

Ugly repeating pipes

Screenshot_Doom_20210818_125848.png.202ff93e15c772da52fdd50d61f3d433.png
Romero would add a support texture to separate these two

Screenshot_Doom_20210818_125909.png.473229662291c3843c8c325353e3e4b7.png
This should be set to Impassable

15 minutes ago, Wavy said:

Has anyone taken the CREDITS screen yet? I'm happy to do it.

Nobody has taken it so far, just make sure to credit ID, not us.

On 8/3/2021 at 1:54 AM, Fiendish said:

All right, finished map22. I'm a bit worried that by playing the original twice to refresh my memory, I remembered the map a little too well, even though there are definitely parts that I got wrong. If others think it's too close to the original to be interesting, I'd be happy to give up the slot and let someone else take a shot at it, or I can wait a month, try to forget, and remake it again without replaying the original beforehand. 

MAP22 (mis)remembered by Fiendish.zip

That's an extortionary close remake. Well done! Yeah it's almost too close, you can't tell the difference without replaying the original, so I guess you refreshed your mind a little too much by replaying it twice. 

Tested in Crispy and GZDoom and didn't find any bugs. I Think you actually fixed some of the texture issues of the original, too.
Only issues I found was that the pinky seems to be stuck on the elevator at the start, and the exit door could be aligned a little better.

On 8/7/2021 at 5:13 AM, Engired said:

I've finally finished map21.

Download: MAP21.zip

No special name yet, I'm still thinking about it.

Also I haven't done difficulty settings yet, may add them later.

Well, you've done it again, this one has a game-breaking bug also:
image.png.fa4e7378eef4cf3ca187bb4117913bff.png
This teleporter is set to teleport back to itself. So if you enter the left teleporter in the starting room, you're immediately stuck.

As for the rest: General layout and textures are all on-point. But there are far too many enemies/not enough ammo. Specifically the room where you teleport in, surrounded by all the imps. The best way to solve it with so few weapons (and no armor) is to rush through the imps, get to the teleporter, and have the enemies enter the teleporter one-by-one. They also seem to be stuck on the teleporter so you can just pick them off with the SG or SSG. 
I think in the original you would lower the teleporters with the switches?

I was able to finish the map but had to rush through the last room, ignoring the abundance of hell knights to get to the exit. 
The yellow skull-wall is really ugly. I think the original had bars, but I'm sure you can make something that looks better than this:

image.png.f989abaa900b8909a5afb4492aecfe16.png

Music is great though!

1 minute ago, Pistoolkip said:

Well, you've done it again, this one has a game-breaking bug also:
image.png.fa4e7378eef4cf3ca187bb4117913bff.png
This teleporter is set to teleport back to itself. So if you enter the left teleporter in the starting room, you're immediately stuck.

As for the rest: General layout and textures are all on-point. But there are far too many enemies/not enough ammo. Specifically the room where you teleport in, surrounded by all the imps. The best way to solve it with so few weapons (and no armor) is to rush through the imps, get to the teleporter, and have the enemies enter the teleporter one-by-one. They also seem to be stuck on the teleporter so you can just pick them off with the SG or SSG. 
I think in the original you would lower the teleporters with the switches?

I was able to finish the map but had to rush through the last room, ignoring the abundance of hell knights to get to the exit. 
The yellow skull-wall is really ugly. I think the original had bars, but I'm sure you can make something that looks better than this:

image.png.f989abaa900b8909a5afb4492aecfe16.png

Music is great though!

The original Nirvana is so mean with ammo too. I did add a bit too many imps, I'll remove half from the second layer. The original doesn't have any lower able teleports too, so I might just block them from coming through at all. I'll take a look at the original too, the original is ugly too but it might be better in the original. At least it's teleports and not lifts this time.

26 minutes ago, Engired said:

The original Nirvana is so mean with ammo too. I did add a bit too many imps, I'll remove half from the second layer. The original doesn't have any lower able teleports too, so I might just block them from coming through at all. I'll take a look at the original too, the original is ugly too but it might be better in the original. At least it's teleports and not lifts this time.

Right, I guess that's true. I never pistol started any of this so I'm not sure about the balance. Just checking out these maps by themselves to see how they play and if anything is broken.