Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate Doom 2 from memory! (Finished)

Just now, kasin said:

I'm sorry for backseating this project so much, but it's been taken altho not updated

Oh, so the 1 SLOT EMPTY in the title is outdated?

ok

2 minutes ago, LiquidDoom said:

Oh, so the 1 SLOT EMPTY in the title is outdated?

ok

yeah I think so. but other people have been dropping out from some slots and who knows if a space will open later down the line

On 9/17/2021 at 8:04 PM, ZeMystic said:

Here's into sandy's city. I had sitting in my files for a while, just was to lazy to upload it.

ISCFROMMEMORY.zip

As this is probably my favourite Doom 2 song, I'm being extra harsh probably, but you did so exceptionally well... until the 1:05 - 1:14 mark, then the high pitch hurt my soul. xD And again with the second high pitch part. The third high pitch part didn't hurt as much, but maybe I was used to it by then. But the piano part was done wonderfully, though sometimes it feels like there's a beat or two missing, or there's a beat or two of extra 'silent space' with the main melody, if you know what I mean, throughout the song. The ending seemed a bit weird, but I think I do remember something like that once I think about it.

Anyway, I loved it except the high pitched parts. Really well done!

Double post, but this is because this post is about reviewing the WAD.

So I just playtested up until Dead Simple and stopped there so I don't spoil myself too much (I want to stream a blind playthrough of this WAD when it's finished). I noticed that the main reason I was able to get through a lot of the levels was because the hitscan dropped a lot of ammo. Just like in the Doom 1 recreation, people don't seem to put enough ammo down and around, and Health is placed a bit awkwardly, too, such as the beginning of level 3 missing a medkit on the elevator (I'm pretty sure), and maybe one in the area surrounding the beginning zone. I know it's supposed to be 'from memory' which includes items, but it certainly makes it a lot more challenging, especially if you're not going for secrets. I'm not going to judge monster placement, but there were a few that surprised me.

I also pistol-started Map 06 because I didn't want to play through a vanilla map 05, and I have to say, it's tough to survive that first room without

Spoiler

going for the Megasphere secret

thanks to the Rev (which I know was in the original). And speaking of that map, that's one of the maps that has ammo issues early on. I was forced to use the plasma partway through killing the imps in cages because I ran out of shells killing the pigs (as I call the pinkies, started in my childhood) and the imps in the key area.

As for glitches, I admittedly played with GZDoom because that's what I have installed at the moment, but nothing seemed broken that I noticed. Everything seemed to work as intended. However, the custom text screens didn't play, at least on Dead Simple. I don't know if that's because of GZDoom or if you didn't put those in yet.

Oh, right. It might be because of GZDoom, but you can walk into the one Imp behind Bars room in Map01. Also, I had to strafe run to get to the switch in the Crusher. I'm not sure that you had to do that in the original considering there was a necessary key over there, but I dunno.

Edited by mistylear19

I just now noticed that Thiccyosh's map 08 was accepted. Ah well. Anyway I finished mine as well. I'll put it here in case anyone wants to play it. I did this from scratch. The first few rooms looked pretty not cursed imo but the more time passed, the more cursed things got. Tested it with Crispy Doom.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vy4wt7rv0hi3lz4/Tricks.wad/file

Nah it's not you're fault. Probably should have been a bit more clear that I was working on a MAP08. Regardless, I'm done now and I posted here for what it's worth.

wow after playing both, zulk's iteration felt surprisingly accurate buut thiccyosh's was way more cursed

22 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

I just now noticed that Thiccyosh's map 08 was accepted. Ah well.

Sorry man, this was a bit too cluttered for everyone, so yours kinda drowned in the comments. But next time I won't steal your slot! I swear! Perhaps you can work on map11 if omalefico32x decides to hand over his work, he said himself he drops his project due to him having a rough time now. But we'll see.

2 hours ago, kasin said:

wow after playing both, zulk's iteration felt surprisingly accurate buut thiccyosh's was way more cursed

Thanks. I love mine too.

57 minutes ago, kasin said:

Oh man I gotta to play that now. I haven't really played it yet.

20 minutes ago, thiccyosh said:

Sorry man, this was a bit too cluttered for everyone, so yours kinda drowned in the comments. But next time I won't steal your slot! I swear! Perhaps you can work on map11 if omalefico32x decides to hand over his work, he said himself he drops his project due to him having a rough time now. But we'll see.

No worries man. I kinda don't feel like remaking any of the other maps. I don't really have any strong feelings toward MAP11. A few maps just caught the attention of younger me when I played Doom and even though MAP08 is nowhere near the map I remember the most or my favorite map, it was one that did grab the attention of younger me and one that I enjoyed playing a lot.

Okay so I just played @thiccyosh's map and it feels like we went in two opposite directions in recreating the map. Yours was a lot more cramped and small while mine was more oversized. Out of curiosity though, did you implement other game modes and difficulty settings? I know I just went "fuck it" and put whatever I thought might be in the other game modes (especially Deathmatch and Co-op) in because I've never played Deathmatch or Co-op on that map ever and I remember next to nothing about the monsters and items in other difficulty modes. 

2 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

Yours was a lot more cramped and small while mine was more oversized.

I didn't look at the vanilla map08 until I was done. When I made this map late at night I had some trouble remembering how big this map was, and at one point I thought 'Yeah, looks fine by me', also was in a shitty mood at that time. I think when you open it in Doom Builder you can see how off the octagon starting area is.

However! I knew where every room was and that the Baron hallway used the TANROCK2 texture (the beige texture nobody uses), whereas you switched two rooms in your map and didn't use TANROCK2 (what a bummer!), and you have 20-ish more enemies (160-ish to 142 in vanilla I think don't kill me), I only had about 95 in my map. Kinda wish I fricked up more than that, oh well, maybe in my next life.

2 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

Out of curiosity though, did you implement other game modes and difficulty settings?

UV-singleplayer only. I know there are player starts in each corner of UAC carpet square in the starting room, but the rest would be a guessing game of what multiplayer items to put and where DM-starts are. May add them if demand is high enough for some reason, I dunno how many here play deathmatch.

As I'm writing this I have this random thought in my head: Drunk deathmatching, but with this mapset. Sounds fun.

The only real Co-Op specific enemy I remember in Doom 2 is the Cyberdemon in Industrial Zone... becuse yeah, that's a pretty iconic one that startled the shit out of me the first time I played LAN with my dad in the basement. xD

51 minutes ago, mistylear19 said:

The only real Co-Op specific enemy I remember in Doom 2 is the Cyberdemon in Industrial Zone...

Coop Cyberdemon is also spawns on Map11. Which is abandoned in this project, btw.

All right, here's a very cursed map10. My memory of much of the map was quite rough and hazy, so enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-GmpOSirqLwYAOQUeCgIQPrqcd8-nTHO/view?usp=sharing

Map title: Meatball Madness

Map slot: map10

Difficulty settings: UV only (I've only ever played it on UV)

Tested in Crispy Doom (shouldn't have any problems with vanilla limits, though)

Spoiler

Original on the left, my version from memory on the right:

kdmP5Pj.png

Slight update to my map:

• Darkened it a bit to make more contrast
  • Put bonuses in the water to indicate where you've been (I have zero recollection of any pickups on the original map, except for SSG, which I ended up putting on the wrong side anyway)

underhalls-4.rar

Also decided to finally do some comparison. I'm not sure if it's cursed or just a fail. Original to the left.

But it is the way I remembered it, as promised.

Spoiler

6yqTEwg.pngArS31ZE.png

Edited by ViolentBeetle

IMO, even if you don't remember specific pickups, you should put health and ammo just for balance's sake. At least with medikits and lower tier ammo like shells and bullets. Rockets here and there in later maps, along with cells here and there as well in later maps unless you specifically remember some placements (like in secrets or w/e) or that the map doesn't have any.

Just so we don't run into the ammo / health issues that were in the first installment of this series.

8 hours ago, mistylear19 said:

IMO, even if you don't remember specific pickups, you should put health and ammo just for balance's sake. At least with medikits and lower tier ammo like shells and bullets. Rockets here and there in later maps, along with cells here and there as well in later maps unless you specifically remember some placements (like in secrets or w/e) or that the map doesn't have any.

Just so we don't run into the ammo / health issues that were in the first installment of this series.

There's some health and shotgunners to pick up ammo from. Just nowhere related to their real placement.

One of my goals with my level is authenticity, as in I both want to slightly resemble the original map and I want to make it look like a level that someone could actually build using the level editing software available in the mid 90s. Oh, and I want this level to be balanced as well.

13 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

There's some health and shotgunners to pick up ammo from. Just nowhere related to their real placement.

I did mention that I was able to get through based on hitscanners dropping ammo, but that's not how the originals were built, at least to my knowledge. I mean, maybe some levels had less than you'd think because of hitscanners, but not to the degree of what I played. xD And for sure, lack of health is a thing in these levels. I know for a fact that Underhalls had at least 4 stimpacks and 3 medkits, maybe more on both. Probably more stimpacks in the starting areas, since the four I remember are in the SSG room, one Medikit in a dead end towards the key area, and one medikit in each section that opens after picking up the key. There's probably more.

Anyway, I just wanted to touch on this because it definitely was an issue in the OG Doom From Memory map pack. Also, I know that the main man wants to test with continuous, but one of... Was it Carmack or Romero's rules? That every level be beatable with a pistol start, and not just by experts (though, admittedly, some OG doom levels are harder than others to pistol start, especially later levels.. but that's also why a shotgun is *usually* placed somewhere near the start, if I had to guess).

MAP15FM.zip

This is it. This is my completed MAP15. Right before I finished this map I wanted to ensure that this level can be beaten on Ultra Violence without the use of cheats.

2 hours ago, RileyXY1 said:

You should edit the OP because MAP15 has now been completed.

I was asleep, but the OP has now been changed.

10 maps need to be done, assuming I haven't missed them.

MAP05 @Doomkid

MAP13 @SilverMiner

MAP14 @FranziskaVonCaco

MAP16 @Kloki38

MAP19 @LateNightPerson

MAP25 @Plank_Guy_89

MAP27 @Nuxius
MAP28 @Decay
MAP29 @Wavy

MAP31 @LateNightPerson

The deadline is coming up, if you need an extension, tell me soon.

I'm going to do some more songs just to fill out some more slots, we need a lot more songs being done.

Here's a new version of the wad so far, hopefully completely up to date: D2TWWRI.zip

FYI my map's coming out pretty good. I just need to make the area on the East end of the map and create the center part with the Cyberdemon. But bare in mind that HMP will probably be the only difficulty level implemented as it's the only one I remember (unless I should add UV, but it probably won't be any accurate to actual UV on MAP29).

As for an extension, I might need one, but I'll confirm by the end of the month.