Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate Doom 2 from memory! (Finished)

I did not realize you would start up a new thread that soon lol, right after that comment on the CP tips topic.

Can't wait to see what people will make of this!

Woah, a spiritual sequel to "Doom The Way We Did" ? I'm excited as hell to join in !

I would love to participate as a mapper, and make a new rendition for MAP01 B-)

Was hoping for this.

I wanna do MAP02. I have pretty good memory of areas, I think, but poor recollection of their relative position.

Could somebody point me towards an appropriate MIDI sequencing software? I've made covers of Doom music before in a DAW with virtual instruments, but not in the .MID format that the game typically uses. Will I need a soundfont too? 

1 minute ago, VisionThing said:

Could somebody point me towards an appropriate MIDI sequencing software? I've made covers of Doom music before in a DAW with virtual instruments, but not in the .MID format that the game typically uses. Will I need a soundfont too? 

https://openmidiproject.osdn.jp/index_en.html

This is the most popular one that I know of. Microsoft has a built in midi soundfont for Windows. Anarcho is always a good replacement though, assuming you can change it.

23 minutes ago, Engired said:

https://openmidiproject.osdn.jp/index_en.html

This is the most popular one that I know of. Microsoft has a built in midi soundfont for Windows. Anarcho is always a good replacement though, assuming you can change it.

Thanks! I'd like to provisionally claim the following tracks:

The Demon's Dead

Waiting for Romero to Play

Dark Halls

Waltz of the Demons

my memory is absolutely horrendous...

...which is why i wanna take map10, cuz it'll be funny to see just how bad it really is xd

im gonna try to make ring of death this may be a bad idea since i never made a map but hey i have to start somewhere

4 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

im gonna try to make ring of death this may be a bad idea since i never made a map but hey i have to start somewhere

Would that be circle of death?

Ahh damn, Map08 is an all time favourite of mine, but since it’s taken, I’ll do Map05. I’m way more familiar with Doom2’s maps, so I think I’ll have a much easier experience than last time around.

7 minutes ago, Engired said:

Would that be circle of death?

yup and i dunno how i messed that up i guess thats a great start if i cant even remember the name of the level lol

My job with Map01 is basically done. I only need to fix a somewhat annoying issue with P_LoadSectors (if anyone got a tip regarding that, I'll take it !) before submitting it on this topic.

Give me MAP15 and MAP24. I probably won't start work on them until September, mind.

Edited by MundyC

I've been trying for hours to find a workaround for MAP01 so that it would work on Crispy Doom as well, but I haven't managed to do it properly.

@Engired Is it still valid if I release my rendition on this topic, despite it not being compatible with CD ?

I wanted to share this quick demo I knocked up of the MAP18 music. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwbk4jkwxmt9mjy/MAP18demo.mp3?dl=0

Yes, it is an MP3. Honestly, I took one look at Sekaiju and wanted to run a mile. This was done in Reaper using Roland's Sound Canvas plugin with the SC-55 sound bank. I did not listen to the track before making this and its about 90% accurate in my estimation. Some bits need a bit more work and tightening up. I took the liberty of using synth strings for one part to sort of shake up the instrumentation a bit. I've spent a while today banging my head against programs I don't find intuitive, I just know Reaper and it works for me. 

Ideally, I would be able to export the MIDI information and it would be readable by both SLADE and in-game. I anticipate that this is probably not possible....correct looping is one thing that comes to mind, as there are slight trails at the end. If that fails I guess I'm gonna have to put in the work to learn a new sequencer. 

Anyway sorry for rambling but just wanted to share some progress!