Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate Doom 2 from memory! (Finished)

Here's my work so far on MAP29:

Deleted due to me already finishing it (and saving on space =P)

Edited by Wavy

I just had a thought. Dangerous, I know. However, I know you put map authors in the titles of maps so they can see them on the Automap, but how are you going to credit music / intermission / graphic / etc authors? Just a text file with credits?

4 hours ago, mistylear19 said:

I just had a thought. Dangerous, I know. However, I know you put map authors in the titles of maps so they can see them on the Automap, but how are you going to credit music / intermission / graphic / etc authors? Just a text file with credits?

Yes, everyone will be credited

(This version is outdated. You can find the updated version below)

hey doomers, here's my MAP07 that got done so unnecessary slow. (look at my custom title for context)

bustam's_MAP07.zip

Oh, i almost forgot the name of it. Uh... how about "BROWN96: The Map". Please report any bugs you found while playing it!

Edited by lokbustam257

I just had an idea, try to record/recreate the demos from memory. like try to record how you remember the player moving in the demos when you wait on the title screen for long enough. I don't know if anyone has already actually done this.

47 minutes ago, mxbobbie49 said:

I just had an idea, try to record/recreate the demos from memory. like try to record how you remember the player moving in the demos when you wait on the title screen for long enough. I don't know if anyone has already actually done this.

Sounds incredibly cursed. Do it.

This is an updated version of MAP07, or "BROWN96: The Map". This one fixed some HOMs and reduce plasma ammo because it's too much.

UpdatedMAP07.zip

(it doesn't support co-op or deathmatch)

Edited by lokbustam257 : yeah i don't even bother

"Sin Iconic" (Map30 Icon of Sin - as I Remember It)

Doom 2 LR

Build Time: about an hour
Tested in: GZDOOM, dsda-doom 

2033939130_DB.MAP30Compare.png.547adf0515fa2083b3e163702a7ab5d3.png

I'd say my memory of this wasn't too far off. I played this almost as much as Map01 back in the day, and most recently was doing some research on it for a Map30 for a different project I was working on. I missed the midtexture on the head, and forgot that the lift actually goes higher than the target, so mine will end up being a bit easier. The shapes for the stairs aren't exact and the starting room is a bit off. Also, going back into it after I finished, I didn't realize the little trick they did with the switch before. So mine looks cut off. Also pretty sure I didn't get the Romero Head in the right place because of where the explosions hit. I'd say this one was pretty easy and definitely easier to remember than the E1M2 I did for the Doom 1 project. Let me know if you find any issues! Cheers! 

DOWNLOAD: https://www.mediafire.com/file/25n2tsc3lgfsgyn/DB.MAP30.wad/file

2 hours ago, Death Bear said:

Doom 2 LR

Build Time: about an hour
Tested in: GZDOOM, dsda-doom 

2033939130_DB.MAP30Compare.png.547adf0515fa2083b3e163702a7ab5d3.png

I'd say my memory of this wasn't too far off. I played this almost as much as Map01 back in the day, and most recently was doing some research on it for a Map30 for a different project I was working on. I missed the midtexture on the head, and forgot that the lift actually goes higher than the target, so mine will end up being a bit easier. The shapes for the stairs aren't exact and the starting room is a bit off. Also, going back into it after I finished, I didn't realize the little trick they did with the switch before. So mine looks cut off. Also pretty sure I didn't get the Romero Head in the right place because of where the explosions hit. I'd say this one was pretty easy and definitely easier to remember than the E1M2 I did for the Doom 1 project. Let me know if you find any issues! Cheers! 

DOWNLOAD: https://www.mediafire.com/file/25n2tsc3lgfsgyn/DB.MAP30.wad/file

I just played this on Crispy and it runs fine. It is however, extremely easy. You added some extra monster spawners so there's a chance of an AV messing with your plans, but with all the invulnerabilities it's easy just to get on the lift, get to the top, and spawn rockets into the brain. Changing the height of the lift would really bring the difficulty closer to the original's. 

2 hours ago, Death Bear said:

I thought you'll call it as "Iconic Sin" to make it funnier

On 9/6/2021 at 1:10 PM, Pistoolkip said:

I just played this on Crispy and it runs fine. It is however, extremely easy. You added some extra monster spawners so there's a chance of an AV messing with your plans, but with all the invulnerabilities it's easy just to get on the lift, get to the top, and spawn rockets into the brain. Changing the height of the lift would really bring the difficulty closer to the original's. 

v2. Raised the lift, and slowed it down.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/cx76fuxqzjhwo6g/DB.MAP30v2.wad/file

There's a few more mapping competitions, some being speed mapping contest, so if you are doing them and you don't have the time, don't worry about it. Try to get your map done before October, but I don't care if you need an extension. We still have a lot of maps left, and I need to make sure I have everything up to date (which I don't), but I may be able to get a playable wad for anybody who wants to test map difficulty as a whole.

3 hours ago, Pistoolkip said:

Still 18 Maps to go and only 2 more weeks

When I get the chance to I'm going to tag everyone. That can get a lot of maps uploaded.

I've finally gotten the chance to tag everyone who's forgotten about this, or got busy working on other stuff.

All the mappers that I'm still waiting on are below:

Spoiler

In terms of soundtrack, I have @VisionThing as having not completed midis, alongside @ZeMystic, and @SynDoom. The OP has more information about those.

Doom 1 midis need to be done, there are very few of them right now. There are also a few empty doom 2 music slots. If I have gotten something wrong, let me know so I can fix it. Also, here's version one of the wad. I want it to be balanced like the original wad, so test without using a pistol start if possible. Also, all of these maps should work on crispy. Play without secrets. Test every surface, make sure windows are impassable.

Download: D2TWWRI.zip

Oh shit, I completely forgot about this! I still have the MIDI for Adrian's Pen about half done, so I can work on that immediately. Thanks for reminding me, sorry for completely spacing this.

I completely forgot about this, I will puke out something as soon as I can, though if someone else is eager to fill the gap let them and just tag me.

1 hour ago, Engired said:

I've finally gotten the chance to tag everyone who's forgotten about this, or got busy working on other stuff. 

I am really sorry, I had the map 2/3rds of the way done, remebered that I had time, set it down, and forgot about it.  I will finish it as soon as I can.

I was too caught up in school to continue work on my map. But I have the next couple of weeks off so I could probably get my map done before the end of this month (hopefully!).

3 hours ago, Engired said:

All the mappers that I'm still waiting on are below:

Reveal hidden contents

In terms of soundtrack, I have @VisionThing as having not completed midis, alongside @ZeMystic, and @SynDoom. The OP has more information about those.

Doom 1 midis need to be done, there are very few of them right now. There are also a few empty doom 2 music slots. If I have gotten something wrong, let me know so I can fix it. Also, here's version one of the wad. I want it to be balanced like the original wad, so test without using a pistol start if possible. Also, all of these maps should work on crispy. Play without secrets. Test every surface, make sure windows are impassable.

Download: D2TWWRI.zip

i'm dropping my MAP08 slot because i give up on making the stairs in the pinky room work there's so many things going on right now, sorry, anyone can pick it up. Oh and by the way thanks for tag me so now I know this project is still not dead.

1 hour ago, N1ck said:

Now we're just waiting for Final Doom From Memory (FDFM).

lol, what are you talking about. We're not even finished Doom 2 from Memory.

Wait a minute... no one did Map 08? I remember playing that so much (though I never got all the secrets so my memory on that front is not great.) I can do MAP08 for this if no one claimed that slot by now.

Edited by Zulk RS : Fixed up some Spelling and Grammar.

I have a question: Do I need make this map work on all difficulties like HMP and HNTRN? Because I kinda only remember the monster and ammo placement of UV and vaguely remember HMP. No idea about the other difficulty settings.

22 minutes ago, Zulk RS said:

I have a question: Do I need make this map work on all difficulties like HMP and HNTRN? Because I kinda only remember the monster and ammo placement of UV and vaguely remember HMP. No idea about the other difficulty settings.

I think you better balance things out with other difficulties too, so player who (for some reason) played on HNTR can beat the map. but hey it's your map not mine