Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate Doom 2 from memory! (Finished)

4 hours ago, Chainie said:

NRFTL+ maps are too complex to memorize it correctly

All other Doom IWADs are too complex from time to time. Plus, the TNT is hard as hell to remember things correctly. It never was a problem for this project.

I don't think it would be a problem here either.

46 minutes ago, Dexiaz said:

All other Doom IWADs are too complex from time to time. Plus, the TNT is hard as hell to remember things correctly. It never was a problem for this project.

I don't think it would be a problem here either.

I've already volunteered to do MAP22: Habitat. I won't have a problem recreating that map from memory.

So I made multiple attempts, and they all came out garbage, and I'd rather not submit a map that is subpar quality. Sorry, but you'll have to find someone else to take the slot :( I didn't anticipate the results being so... bleh.

9 hours ago, Decay said:

So I made multiple attempts, and they all came out garbage, and I'd rather not submit a map that is subpar quality. Sorry, but you'll have to find someone else to take the slot :( I didn't anticipate the results being so... bleh.

I do sort of want some maps that look like a total beginner made them, as long as they're not broken and unfun.

11 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

What about a bonus map that recreates Map 33 Betray from memory?

If anybody wants to do that, then go ahead. I'll add a slot for it.

17 hours ago, Decay said:

Indeed, you should at least share the attempts and see if it's good enough for Engired to include. Not everything will, or indeed 'should' be perfect in these maps, at least in terms of layout. If you think you made the map too easy / too hard, then we can help balance that too.

MAP29: No End for the Living

1075368533_NoEndfortheLiving.PNG.5c94cf7bf752cb85d21c14fa09baa2b2.PNG

Map Name: No End for the Living

Map Slot: MAP29

Difficulty Levels: Normal (With easy and hard somewhat tacked on)

Port Tested with: DSDA-Doom v0.21.3 (-complevel 2)

This came out far better than expected honestly. I was pretty surprised with the liquid in the large main area being blood in the original instead of lava like in my recreation. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Bare in mind that I might need to do some tweaking, but I'm releasing it as-is to get general feedback.

Download it here!

Actually, not there. Download v1.1 here instead!

Screenies:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20211001_211949.png.7a3304b94148cfa8454ef985fd0687de.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211001_212043.png.070ef8004d55d4355f5c581ab3890808.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211001_212114.png.94e7a1fe9a11436b9385d2a629e247e1.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211001_212140.png.f53d11218946b6d73b2dc31106a48522.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211001_212202.png.0af2a2bdc82240fa0e6072cce62252e8.png

Edited by Wavy : Update the map to v1.1 to alter some things.

Hopefully no one else has done in the dark, just because I may have missed it.

Here is my version anyway. It's missing instruments because I had no idea what they were. It sounds close enough anyway.

Download: In The Dark.zip

Sorry for the extension, but I was busy with other stuff.

Anyway, here is my map16: Sandy´s Neighbourhood

MAP16.rar

Difficulty: Easy, Medium, Hard

Multiplayer: Coop/DM starts, a bit of extra ammo added

Tested with: Crispy Doom, GZDoom

I am very happy about how this map came out - I screwed up some parts but overall it´s much better than I was expecting.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20211002-140105.png

Screenshot-Doom-20211002-140120.png

Screenshot-Doom-20211002-140207.png

17 hours ago, mistylear19 said:

Any idea on the state of the last few maps? One is let unclaimed again, right?

If people don't respond to my posts then I'm going to have to free them up. I can't keep waiting for mappers. I think one of them is free, but I'm not 100% sure.

39 minutes ago, Robo_Cola said:

I'll take song track "In the Dark" please.

Barely remember anything but the spooky melody and bassline, should end up interesting.

Enigred himself posted one about a week ago. Better check with him first.

3 minutes ago, mistylear19 said:

Enigred himself posted one about a week ago. Better check with him first.

Oh my bad, didn't see that.  Thanks for letting me know.

In that case if Enigred already has that covered, I'll take "Getting too tense" if that one is still open (in the OP it is). 

Just to be further-clear on rules for composing:

• Is it ok to hear the song mid-composing?  For instance you hear it once, compose about a quarter way through, then listen again for clarification?  Or are you only allowed to use your 3 listens before actually composing?
  • Is looking at the original track's instrument order and names in Sekaiju beforehand considered cheating?
  • If you get "totally" lost within the song, is it ok to take some creative liberties with the song?

2 minutes ago, Robo_Cola said:

Just to be further-clear on rules for composing:

• Is it ok to hear the song mid-composing?  For instance you hear it once, compose about a quarter way through, then listen again for clarification?  Or are you only allowed to use your 3 listens before actually composing?
  • Is looking at the original track's instrument order and names in Sekaiju beforehand considered cheating?
  • If you get "totally" lost within the song, is it ok to take some creative liberties with the song?

1. It is best to avoid it, but if a part sounds wrong I will allow it. I did it myself.

2. Try to only look at the instrument if you have no idea what it is. Other than that, try to avoid it.

3. Yeah, I'm looking for it. The more you forget, the more interesting the result.

I only got halfway through my map, it’s just so hard to remember the details.. I’ll post what I have tomorrow, I would greatly appreciate if someone could do the other part, as Wavy did for me last time around. Sorry about this, to quote Decay, I hoped the results wouldn’t be so “bleh”..

On 9/30/2021 at 11:10 AM, Decay said:

That's the problem I have had.  Bloodfalls is a map that is short and forgettable.  But any attempt to recreate it almost ends up worse.  The only room I like is the blue key room.  But any attempt to remake it seems worse and I want it to be less awful.  But it almost goes against the grain to remix the maps.

12 hours ago, Plank_Guy_89 said:

That's the problem I have had.  Bloodfalls is a map that is short and forgettable.  But any attempt to recreate it almost ends up worse.  The only room I like is the blue key room.  But any attempt to remake it seems worse and I want it to be less awful.  But it almost goes against the grain to remix the maps.

It's not supposed to be the best, or the most polished. It's supposed to be what you remember from the map. For me, I remember a lot of Bloodfalls, I just don't know how to map, like at all. I've only opened up a map editor once, tried to make a door opening into a pit, couldn't figure it out, and stopped... but that was years ago now. xD

This goes for you too, @Doomkid It doesn't matter if it feels 'bleh,' if it's how you remember the map, then that's how Enigred wants it.

@Engired

I've got some free time and I've decided to create Map33. I didn't played this map for 2 years, but I've decided to not play it before starting doing a map.

My version:

DJV3ULdRzPU.jpg?size=1920x1000&quality=9

Now I've opened an original...

QM8xNMmRte8.jpg?size=1920x1000&quality=9

Well, I won't change anything, because this is the goal of the project. I'll only beta test the balance, so my map would be beatable. Link would be tomorrow.

I'll wait to play it until the entire WAD is done and I can livestream my reaction to it, but judging by the map editor, it doesn't look too bad. You seem to have rememberd that weird map fairly well.

I wonder if anyone's gonna tackle the other super-secret Map, or was that for Doom 1? I thought it was for Doom 2, y'know, that whole map with the sewer section with both blue and green areas (green hurt you) that was called 'sewers' or something.

1 minute ago, Fryuko said:

According to the op MAP19 is not taken, right? 

I'd like to give it a shot if that's true.

I'm pretty sure I'm up to date, it should be free if no one else has taken it.

7 hours ago, mistylear19 said:

I'll wait to play it until the entire WAD is done and I can livestream my reaction to it, but judging by the map editor, it doesn't look too bad. You seem to have rememberd that weird map fairly well.

Thanks. I was just working with this map for Playstation Doom : The Lost Levels and GEC Master Edition. That's why I'm kinda remember this map. But not that good, because I "lost" few switch puzzles, because I didn't remember them well. I'm kinda simplified it. But I think it's even better, because people disliked the original "where the hell I must go now" moment.

BTW, I was thinking about making E1M10, but decided to work with Map31 instead.