Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate Doom 2 from memory! (Finished)

17 hours ago, RastaManGames said:

Awww, it was kinda pain to create a map for vanilla. I experienced classic bug with crash because of several lift sectors with tag 0.
Also, while testing i was in pain due to infinite tall actors, Mancubi fireball that hit me thru the wall that was kinda big (~48 units) and lost souls that spawned in the wall.
But, good or bad, here is my crappy & janky map!

MAP25: "Bloodbath". That name was on my tongue for few hours.
Difficulty Settings: Easy/Medium/Hard. I tried to make playthrough kinda interesting for each difficulty.
Multiplayer Mode: 4 player starts for cooperative and 16 player starts for deathmatch along with exclusive multiplayer-only items.
Tested With: Crispy Doom/GZDoom.

MAP25 On G.Drive

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.4f4f078f392e94dfde349a3fa633ca9c.png

image.png.5d04cb66dc3a383c7334202da13fc735.png

image.png.0de4eb85886b63605435f4677678b1db.png

image.png.ee25f1e00d29d99d8fb34f8a19c53fc1.png

image.png.6586e01b908f3a2524f48a40d1c23ec7.png

Aw, you got the noclipping mancubus fireballs! Woo! It'll be fine. The map doesn't need to be the best, because if it was, people would doubt it was from memory!

Also, only 2 maps left! Woo!

15 hours ago, Engired said:

I have heard nothing from @FranziskaVonCaco, so the slot is open until I hear something about it. I'll give the slot back if I can get an update, but it is starting to push it too far. Hopefully there's a backup of @Nuxius's map somewhere.  We only have those two maps left, and I think we don't have any or many songs left.

I'll take MAP14, and also, is the deadline not exist?

2 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

is the deadline not exist?

LoL

I suggest to read this thread a little.

8 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

I'll take MAP14, and also, is the deadline not exist?

Pretty much, now the deadline is just as soon as possible.

We need to urgently wrap this up, I'm currently only waiting for @lokbustam257. Map 27 is also now open.

These maps need to be done in the next days, so we can get plenty of testing in before release.

I noticed a few bugs in my map. I'll supply an updated version soon.

Dens of Memory.zip

Surprisingly, this map looks like the original MAP14 quite well, though it looks very boxy and has very repetitive texturing. (blame american mcgee for the repetitive texturing)

Name: Dens of Memory

Author: The guy who upload it

Release date: December 5, 2021

Map slot: MAP14

Port: Vanilla

Build time: from 9 AM to 6 PM, or 9 hours

Deathmatch: Deathmatch start only, not tested

Co-op: Yes, include co-op start and extra monsters and resources

Difficulty: Yes

Tested with: Chocolate Doom 3.0 (i think), Eternity Engine 4.02 Forseti

Also, I would like to rename MAP07 to "Simplest Dead".

Screenshots:

Spoiler

etrn22.png.28496262d1c2651812042fa1f782a196.png

etrn24.png.22db7c3a2de4c7e87b26050a8fd80d59.png

etrn27.png.e37f76783268abac6c22c4f2734d3238.png

etrn26.png.de83eec2bf6bb5567da4c71d81cb87ed.png

Map27 is open, someone needs to take it within the next 24 hours or I might have to do it somehow.

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I may try to do it on Sunday, but I haven't played it since forever so I don't know what good it would do.

This is the ideal situation xD

But when I was making E1M10 map I've played it once just because I've totally forgot it's geometry (and still I didn't normally remember). So it's ok.

I played Monster Condo now and it was emotionally devastating. Now I just have to try and remake it.

It might take me longer than a day though.

Is this the one with a secret door that closes after 30 seconds?

3 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Is this the one with a secret door that closes after 30 seconds?

Yes, hehe.

Just an update, I have played Monster Condo again, I looked at it in the editor, I have no idea how is it supposed to work and I will do remake it, hopefully tomorrow even if it kills me.

Even after two play sessions and looking at the editor, I was drawing blank on some areas and had to abridge them. Anyway, here's what I currently have - it's playable and I don't remember what textures were like anyway, and it's too dark. Please tell me if you are unsatisfied with anything in particular.

Includes Co-op starts, difficulty implemented by reducing monsters from UV.

MAP27: Trillion IQ House

unknown.png

Edited by ViolentBeetle

43 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Even after two play sessions and looking at the editor, I was drawing blank on some areas and had to abridge them. Anyway, here's what I currently have - it's playable and I don't remember what textures were like anyway, and it's too dark. Please tell me if you are unsatisfied with anything in particular.

MAP27: Trillion IQ House

unknown.png

Okay, after reading this backstory, I'm looking forward to playing this one map more than anything... something I never thought I would say about Monster Condo as it is probably one of my most disliked MAP in all of Doom 2 (That and Bloodfalls. Both maps, I dislike heavily.)

6 minutes ago, Zulk RS said:

Okay, after reading this backstory, I'm looking forward to playing this one map more than anything... something I never thought I would say about Monster Condo as it is probably one of my most disliked MAP in all of Doom 2 (That and Bloodfalls. Both maps, I dislike heavily.)

what, not downtown? also it was a real good memory remake imo

anycase it's finally all done and I cannot wait to get my hands on the full wad. wish I could've done more, maybe when another one of these remake projects pop up I can provide more textures

6 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Even after two play sessions and looking at the editor, I was drawing blank on some areas and had to abridge them

This is a normal situation here ;)

BTW, the map looks good in Builder's view.

So that's all the maps, right? That's the most important bit done, yeah?

Now just to wait for the WAD to finish being implemented. We'll probably have to replace music and update the WAD release as music trickles in as to not delay this even further.

I'll quickly compile it tonight, so testing can begin. There is nothing left apart from maybe some titles for maps.

1 hour ago, BENCHY said:

is map 27 taken?

I've done it yesterday, sorry

2 hours ago, Engired said:

titles for maps

After some consideration, I'd like to rename MAP27 into Million IQ House. It's arbitrary, but I have plans for something that would be better suited for larger numbers.

On 12/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, kasin said:

what, not downtown? also it was a real good memory remake imo

anycase it's finally all done and I cannot wait to get my hands on the full wad. wish I could've done more, maybe when another one of these remake projects pop up I can provide more textures

Downtown isn't one I like but I don't dislike it either. Then again, I love Chasm and hate Refueling Base, like DTS-T but hate Plutonia so there's that.

First full release. I plan for the official release to be a Christmas release (AEST), so I'm mostly looking for balance problems, and bugs. Every level should be able to be beaten without saves, and in one go, just like Doom 2. The only exception will be for levels like the Chasm. Please test in Crispy Doom only, I do not want to deal with the same amount of backlash as last time.

I need @Robo_Cola 's submission, but I have all other submissions included. I've tried my best to put the most up to date levels in it, but some of them may be out of date. Also, for small issues, I'll just fix them myself; if anything involves creative input, then I'll leave it up to the original creator.

Download: D2TWWRI.zip

Finished first 7 maps. Seems this is the only problem I've found.

Map03:

You can fall into Sector 131 and 132 without triggering the wall lowering line and softlock because it's very close to the high platform.

Played through the first eight maps (and the first part of MAP09 - currently redoing my playthrough as I accidentally did it in GZDoom). Found a couple of things;

• There's a missing lower texture near the secret plasma in MAP05:

L0H7ZeK.png

Oh yeah. I forgot to release the updated version of my map, so here ye go.

I don't fully recall what I changed exactly, but the white marble area over to the right has been altered to stop the Revenant and the Pain Elemental from waking up too early and altered some monster/ammo placements throughout the map.

Also, could you edit the release WAD to incorporate my updated map? Thanks.

Edited by Wavy

@Engired I suggest you put the new full release in the original post, so people don't have to go through 17 pages to search the files.

(and also can I add this real quick: Maybe we should rename the thread to something like "Try to Recreate Doom 2 From Memory [First beta/RC1/completed release!]")

Okay, completed all 32 maps and found several additional issues, some more urgent than others.

Spoiler
  • The mid-texture in MAP01 that gates off an imp can be walked through. (Possibly intended by mapmaker?)
  • Found another missing MAP05 texture (both lower and upper), this time at the lowerable wall next to the red door;

4dohe6y.png

• MAP13's southwestern secret area (sectors 41/82) has secret flags for both sectors, instead of only 82.
  • Three problems in MAP17, sorted by decreasing levels of severity:
    • You can't exit the level. The exit teleporter doesn't have the proper linedef action.
    • The SUPPORT3 lift that takes you out of the lava in the arch-vile room doesn't work. The linedef is flipped the wrong way around.
    • There are several missing lower textures in the backtracking maze room;

NVSmdUk.png

• The supercharge secret in MAP20 (west of the epic Cyber/Spider fight) can't be accessed. The doorway that you open to get to it is too high up to go through.
  • The teleporters connecting MAP21's starting area and slime cavern don't loop properly. The teleporter in the starting area works fine, but entering the slime cavern's teleporter will teleport you back to it instead of the starting area's. If you don't have the yellow skullkey, you're softlocked.