Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Engired

Try to recreate Doom 2 from memory! (Finished)

Yo, take a look at this. The level is (mostly) done, just needs polish, and the Midi isn't final of course, just something I made in Sekaiju in like 5 minutes after listening to the first like 20 seconds of the level 18 midi in Slade to know which song it was in general.

Also the level has multiplayer, both co-op and DM.

I haven't played through the entirety of doom 2 in quite a while, and I haven't looked at the original Map18 once. How'd I Do?
https://files.catbox.moe/99

Here it is. Only referred to the original once...honestly this is more of a remix if anything. Still, I hope everyone enjoys it!

THE HEALER STALKS.zip

Edited by SynDoom

17 hours ago, VisionThing said:

Here's the music I've done so far. MIDI files appear to have exported properly but I'm still not sure if they'll work as intended. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpwuepneqvfavzf/E2M4.mid?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zrgi7aac3vmws6/E3M7.mid?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpwuepneqvfavzf/E2M4.mid?dl=0

MP3 versions here if for some reason those don't work and you want to hear how they're meant to sound:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76aoizsht8e96t4/E2M4.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tp1q97ywygic980/e3m7.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5e9md1w5ctt39o3/MAP18.mp3?dl=0

E2M4 is linked twice for midis

6 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

i wanna miss remember the one from map 12 if possible

If you do, just post it here. I don't mind who does it, unless it just doesn't belong in the project.

4 hours ago, Engired said:

E2M4 is linked twice for midis

Sorry, here's the MAP18 one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl01xopgbonisgm/MAP18.mid?dl=0

@forgettablepyromaniac I already claimed this track on page 1, however as the song appears twice in game mine could go in MAP27 perhaps, tho if we do that it would possibly mean doing several of the same MIDIs twice for all the songs that appear more than once...

37 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

Sorry, here's the MAP18 one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl01xopgbonisgm/MAP18.mid?dl=0

@forgettablepyromaniac I already claimed this track on page 1, however as the song appears twice in game mine could go in MAP27 perhaps, tho if we do that it would possibly mean doing several of the same MIDIs twice for all the songs that appear more than once...

I've already listed it as such. As long as it's not a trend I'm fine with it happening for a few midis.

im trying to make some stairs on both sides in eureka but for some reason i cant build on the right side

1542819248_Screenshotfrom2021-08-0311-14-45.png.e128d61aa5366db71567125356eeaa0b.png

here is the left side1408027513_Screenshotfrom2021-08-0311-14-37.png.f1fc7aa50241ec8caf431e27d5f06c33.png

here is the right side869472832_Screenshotfrom2021-08-0311-15-40.png.91a82ef0667d2172770648b9dad3fe40.png

when i try to build here i cant make any sectors

anyone know what is the reason for this?

8 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

anyone know what is the reason for this?

Unfortunately I don't use Eureka myself - but perhaps you can post this problem to Doom Editing for more possible solutions? I reckon not many people here use this editor.

4 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Unfortunately I don't use Eureka myself - but perhaps you can post this problem to Doom Editing for more possible solutons? I reckon not many people here use this editor.

thanks i made a post on editing questions

I was doodling MAP29 at school from memory. Note that everything here is crude and not to scale from my memory

Here:

20210804_214538.jpg.41e3fecc63702d85e2c79531b693ce32.jpg

Also, I think I'll call it "This End Doesn't Seem So Lively"

I've finally finished map21.

Download: MAP21.zip

No special name yet, I'm still thinking about it.

Also I haven't done difficulty settings yet, may add them later.

I'm also finished my MAP20. I want to tell you a coolstory about this.

I didn't played the Doom 2 about a year. And the MAP20 too, of course. And for this project I specially DID NOT opened it. So I've remade it from my fading memory. Fun fact - before starting I was kinda sure how the original map was look like. But the much I was working on it - the much my memory became fuzzy. And I wasn't even sure what's going on.

If you're interested in Playstation Doom and it's mods, you might know that I did a few maps for PSX Doom Lost Levels and PSX Doom GEC Master Edition. In both projects I did a MAP20 conversion (a video of playthrough), so some memories were taken from my PSX remade which makes situation even funnier.

I've tested my map on Crispy Doom, works very fine. While posting this message I still didn't played the original MAP20. But I'm going to do it right now...I'm pretty scared.

Anyway, the link.

Download: MAP20 (let's call it "CatChum!")

UPD: Just played the original map...Oh...my...God. This is so surreal, my map is different in details! The ending area kinda sucks in my version (eh), but this is the truth how I've remembered it, lol.

UPD2:

Opened both maps in Doom Builder:

Spoiler

Original:

RWtWatVODDo.jpg?size=794x877&quality=96&

My version:

0bZA7xZK5_U.jpg?size=924x736&quality=96&

Damn! I was kinda sure that the final area must be inside the circle, but I kinda tried to settle it inside and failed. So I've thought "Maybe I was wrong and the final area wasn't inside the main area..."

Edited by Dexiaz : Let's call it "CatChum!"

EDIT: New version in later post

MAP09: Sandy's Sand Pit

Difficulty: Yes, but I made up HNTR and UV

Co-op: Spawn points placed, but that's it

Deathmatch: No

Tested in DSDA-Doom and Crispy Doom

This was a lot more fun than I expected! I recreated the progression pretty well, but I was surprised at how different the monster placement and especially the texturing ended up being. I also accidentally straightened out most of the weird angles that I had never previously noticed were present.

Comparison shots (old on left, new on right):

Spoiler

comp2.png.ba7b01bb9e12dfb1ae3946752b3bf6b5.pngcomp3.png.79f22f7d3f2fa83ca6db066101949793.pngcomp4.png.6af887151d6f631bc9e2f0b9cc3284a3.pngcomp5.png.b66f18dd9aecc72a66a0724ddbc2f3cd.pngremake.png.f05f6086ad7bd7a3c7f4b530270bbfa9.png

Hey look, same sector count!

Blast_Brothers MAP09 RC1.zip

Edited by Blast_Brothers

had a go at doing Doom2's title music from memory. Can't quite get it as loud as I'd like but that's probably because I just sequenced it in guitar pro.

D_DM2TTL.zip

I'm going to take sign of evil just to get some more songs done. We do need some more people, if anybody knows anybody who would be willing to do it, invite them if you can.

are there any map slots left, because this sounds like a fun project and i would love to join

7 minutes ago, Mystic 256 said:

are there any map slots left, because this sounds like a fun project and i would love to join

Unfortunately there are only songs and art left, but people might leave in about a months time.

4 minutes ago, Engired said:

Unfortunately there are only songs and art left, but people might leave in about a months time.

damn it, I always seem to miss the projects I'm most interested in, especially this year where It seems like I've been missing everything

I really wish there was a way could be part of something, its really depressing me

1 minute ago, Mystic 256 said:

damn it, I always seem to miss the projects I'm most interested in, especially this year where It seems like I've been missing everything

Don't give up so soon. In "Doom 1 from Memory" there were situations when people just reject their own maps after some time, so their map slots were opened again for everyone. Maybe something like this will happen again here.

18 minutes ago, Mystic 256 said:

I really wish there was a way could be part of something

Agree with Dexiaz - if anything, you can try following this thread (using Follow button) for a chance to grab a slot.

Also had a go at Message for the Archvile - composed in guitar pro again so I can't guarantee it works in all different midi devices (timidity has problems sometimes)

D_MESSAG.zip

26 minutes ago, BeefGee said:

Also had a go at Message for the Archvile - composed in guitar pro again so I can't guarantee it works in all different midi devices (timidity has problems sometimes)

D_MESSAG.zip

The choice of instruments seems better than original. May I use it for one of my projects? Not sure I would necessary pick it in the end, but I was looking for something like that.

32 minutes ago, BeefGee said:

D_MESSAG.zip

Couldn't pass by as it is directly related to my map20. Excellent work!

I have made some revisions for my MAP02 submission. I remember there were some changes to wall texture, have no recollection where. Also the water area has been revised because I think it was more like that.

And since I didn't realize it needs a name earlier: the name should be "Utter Hole"

I also added dificulty levels.

underhalls_update.zip