Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

I thought it was a good idea to fire the BFG to groups of distant monsters and then rapidly hide behind a wall (so only the plasma ball did damage). For that reason, I thought for ages the BFG was actually a weak weapon and the plasma rifle was superior ...

I'm also culprit of many of the misunderstandings others wrote about, e.g. about the Berserk or strafing. In addition I thought for some time the invulnerability was a kind of night vision. It was also a disappointment for me to know that the invisibility doesn't make you really invisible ...

Not really a mistake, but I played Inferno before The Shores of Hell, because it sounded "cooler". Maybe it was better this way, so I actually met the strongest boss last.

Attacking PEs with the rocket launcher is actually not always a mistake ... when you do it fast and while moving it is a good way to take out groups of these bastards before they can do any damage.

I was young and dumb and didn't really speak English, and I couldn't read manuals or anything so... I didn't know you could use the mouse, or that you could run, or strafe. My first experience playing shareware doom was truly hellish and boy, I never even got past E1M8 back then with how awkwardly I was playing, all because of my ignorance.

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Is jumping switched on by default in K8Vavoom? That’s really the only one I see as a “deadly sin” - freelook, air control and even (terrible looking) texture filtering still don’t mess up the experience too much. It’s just that damn jumping..! Cool as an option of course, but I can’t see why any port has it on by default since it breaks 99% of maps made for Doom, let alone the iwads.

I still play with freelook-- with the knowledge that most wads are designed without it in mind. So I won't freelook to shoot that switch that is clearly a secret that I need to find the right elevation to get to-- but there's also a lot of maps out there with "turret" enemies that are a total pain in the ass to clean up without freelook. It's my primary concession to "modern" shooters-- I don't need to jump, hell, I don't need to be able to run underneath cacos. but for some reason I just feel really claustrophobic when my view is locked to a single Z angle.

I was too young to remember much from the times i played Final Doom on the ps1, but i do remember most of my time with Doom 3, and i was really not very good at the game. I didn't really know any proper English so getting a lot of the passwords for the lockers was tough, plus missing out on a lot of dialogue and PDA related stuff. I remember using Doomwiki and walkthrough sites a lot some years later on (i started playing Doom 3 at around 6 years old and it took me a long time to finish it on my own).

The funny thing is that i had no idea what some of the item pickups were, like the stamina syringes and armor shards

CEYEA0.png.9003394051c577567241e388769fa263.png

In my first playthrough of Doom 1, I thought this thing was some kind of Powerup or some secret Teleport... later one I just figured out it was just a decorative item. 

I thought spectre's were ghosts and you could not shoot through them

I at first didn’t even know how to use the source ports to play doom. This was around my sophomore year and I kept thinking I had to do some hax or something to get it set up and got embarrassed at myself for being such an idiot when a nice person on the internet simply told me I just had to drag and drop the iwad files on the source port folders lmao. Other than that, I did a lot of crouching and jumping with GZDoom and fucking around with the mods until probably senior year when I decided to start getting into other source ports and ig getting better in my own way in good ol unmodded doom.

40 minutes ago, Vaeros said:

In my first playthrough of Doom 1, I thought this thing was some kind of Powerup or some secret Teleport... later one I just figured out it was just a decorative item.

..and then comes SI6IL… ;-)

Oh, I forgot one: for a pretty short time I didn't think you had to press fire to use the chainsaw. It sounded like it was running, so I figured I'd just walk up to some enemies and start shredding them. That didn't work so well.

June 10, 2020 -

"Be very careful with that rocket launcher", a friend tells me as I'm playing through E1M3

Proceeds to not be careful with that rocket launcher

The earliest times I was playing Doom was in either ZDoom or Skulltag(Yes, Zandro existed even back in 2014, but I was a fan of a Doom YouTuber who constantly plays in Skulltag). At the time, I had no idea that you couldn't jump or crouch or even mouselook in vanilla Doom and Boom, so I often ended up breaking the progression of many vanilla and Boom maps just by jumping over a ledge, crouching under something meant to be inaccessible, and rocket jumping to somewhere I wasn't supposed to be. Of course, when doing so, I often got stuck and trapped.

This is why nowadays I often play in ports like Chocolate Doom and RUDE which don't have jumping or mouselook, or ports like PrBoom+ and Crispy Doom where jumping and mouselook are disabled by default.

I don't remember something very dump, but mostly things you wouldn't know unless someone told you:

- Don't hold fire with pistol/chaingun but short tap to have great accuracy from a distance. I would waste too much ammo and time shooting enemies with chaingun in a distance before knowing that.

- When chainsawing demons or other melee attack monsters, you can back a bit to not get bitten. I would just rush into demons/spectres with fire button on, losing some health. Now it's more strategically moving slowly back.

- Berserk pack effect doesn't end when screen stops being red as I thought.

Oh and I always play with mouselook and jump/crouch in modern ports, as I feel very restricted otherwise (but will forget about them if I play in old ports or DOS or consoles) but I try to be aware of buttons that maybe have to be shoot from higher, platforms I should now jump/crouch over/under. I don't care about turret monsters, if I can shoot it from a distance I do. I don't like the restrictions, playing with modern ports means I'll use it.

- One more modern dump thing I remember. Many modern maps have sections designed with Cyberdemons or Spiderboss, where the whole think is designed like a riddle (run around, press buttons, activate crushers or telefrags or infighting or other). Using my shooting from afar habits (even with chaingun short taps), I can't count how many times I killed the cybies/arch viles/spiderbosses to realize the whole goal of the map was to run away and kill them in other ways. How many times I facepalmed myself and thought I killed the original creator vision of how to finish that area. Because of my habit to shoot everything from afar before entering a room (the opposite from run and gun :P)

Doom 2 map 2:

It took me a lot of time to release that I had to run to jump over that window and get the key lmao. Back when I was a kid, I thought shift would just make the game go faster, and not make the player actually run.

Also, doom 2 map 8: shooting on all these barons.

I was playing Doom with a Gravis Gamepad. Back then, I was more used to Nintendo consoles and thought games should all be played with a controller. You know, despite the fact I'd use the keyboard to switch weapons...

when I was young (when Doom 1 released): No strafing, using cheats on easiest mode

Recently: Save scumming (Quick saving before every room etc). I have stopped doing this though.

On 8/1/2021 at 12:48 PM, Arrowhead said:

When I was really little, (probably 6-8 years old) I used to bob and weave my head when trying to dodge projectiles...

Man I still do that, just not on purpose.

I started playing Doom majorly in 2010 afte only Console ports and uhh i played Keyboard Only for like 4 years 

1) I constantly savescummed, which led to me not memorizing enemy patterns and locations. Once I started to play without saves (just one at the beginning of each map and that's it), I got much better.
2) I used to go around corners with my Rocket Launcher equipped, same with doors. Big, big mistake.
3) I played with Texture Filtering on.

Back in my day, we would...

• Play keyboard only: arrow keys to move, control to shoot, alt to strafe, space to use
  • Use cheats. A lot. We were affraid to die
  • Fire rockets at the Cyberdemon
  • Fire the BFG and look away
  • Play without sound cause my mom thought we'd destroy the PC when using the PC speaker

When I was first getting back into Doom after a decade plus of not touching it, I would always try to sprint across the gap to the red key in Doom 2 MAP15 several times and keep failing, before eventually reminding myself of the intended method.

Also, keyboard only.

When I was really new, I went through a phase of trying to use the chainsaw too much, not igniting barrels with it proved to be surprisingly complicated.

I would never run, because I thought the game was too fast if I constantly ran.

So I'm fairly new to this doom 2 world and decided a while ago to stream me playing doom 2 for the first time on my twitch channel .... I made the stupidest mistake of saving on a platform I was on surrounded by floor that kept giving me damage. I had only like 4% health or something like that and because I didn't know any of the doom cheats or anything because TOTAL NOOB STATUS . I literally kept trying to get to where I needed to go but kept dying then raged and cried on stream like the true baby I am .... Thankfully after hours of complaining one of my viewers helped me out with a cheat code and I could progress .... 

Only to later by accident delete my WHOLE doom 2 progress on my computer so now I'll have to start it over on stream because my stupid ass doesn't remember what map I left off at. But yeah I've made many noob mistake on that damn stream but saving at that one moment will forever be engraved in my head and the sounds of dying over and over and over .... That's the stuff of nightmares .

4 hours ago, PrincessProzac said:

*snip*

Well, everybody makes mistakes. So you're probably not alone.

my worst mistake was runnig that doom.exe. it was decades ago, and i still can't stop playing.