Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gore

Nobody likes Lost souls.

they're extremely annoying, and as such, extremely good. they aren't there to make your life more enjoyable, they're there to smother you and make everything shitty to deal with. i do prefer them a little more aggressive and with slightly less HP, the balance of them being more popcorn-enemy-adjacent while also having a similar threat profile is nice, but they're totally fine in their stock form. and that's before pain elementals - PEs elevated them to another level entirely. few other monsters truly have me mentally sorting monster priority when they show up in tandem with other high-tier monsters. in lots of situations it doesn't take long to work out what to deal with first, but a PE will quickly make that a lot more difficult.

super ultra mega annoying. so good.

This thread is making me think of a lost souls themed map. Maybe I'll put in different variants, so the player shits his pants when a gigantic lost soul pops out of nowhere

On 8/11/2021 at 5:10 AM, Monosabi said:

I've died more times to a lost soul flying right by me as I'm shooting a rocket than I care to admit.

This hits way to close to home, like a rocket on a Lost Soul, in your face

I actually think that people would like LD more if their model was bigger to reflect their health pool.

Most of the hate comes from the fact that they seems weak but are kind of tanky.

Their attack is actually pretty welcome in ly opinion, as they force the player to imagine hisbposition in the 3D space relative to the Lost Soul's, while staying in movement to dodge them.

They encourage mobility and combat awerness where most player would just zone out and blindly shotgun they way through.

It's not exact science, but it is a welcome addition to the roaster.

Also players should keep the 7 LS per PE limit on....

Many PE fight go out of hand because of the absence of LS limit.

They don't annoy me in tandem with PEs (even though I hate them with a passion, it's a good player-enemy sort of hate), nor individually placed... If not in excess. Unless it's a slaughter map or a fight gimmick, then I can sort of get around it.

I recently realized that they do annoy the hell out of me, in the sense that it's not exactly very fun nor satisfying to fight them, when a map maker has decided on a large outdoor area and randomly peppered it with LSs so that they keep trickling into the map over the course of minutes. It reminds me too much of respawning enemies, something I have come to detest (or rather, I've never enjoyed it, ever, so far). When they're tied to PEs, you can at least do something about the source.

Well I do, damn it.

It's never a better time than watching one get stunned and float away backwards across the map in a jaw-droppingly shocked expression all like "you... you hit me. how dare you."

I hate them more than any other monster in the game and that makes them incredibly good at what they do. Not even seeing an archvile teleport in puts me on as high alert as when I see a flock of Pain Elementals wander into the arena.

Nobody is an extreme choice of phrasing.  From a mapper perspective the lost soul's lack of alert sound, that it doesn't show up on the kill counter (for ports which copy vanilla tally screen behavior), and yes even that it forgets it target after a single attack in infights gives it unique qualities in the beastiary.  A cunning mapper can place them for sneak attacks even when the player would believe they're otherwise safe.

From a player perspective, yeah they can get annoying.  I will get irritated when one gets attack happy and lands 3-4 hits in the same time it would take an archvile to attack once.  Knowing I could have prevented it from getting so close and failed to keep a lost soul off for one reason or another contributes more to my irritation than anything else though.

My two takes on lost souls:

1) Eviternity had the right idea; lower their HP, make it so a single shotgun blast can reliably kill one.

2) Pain elementals are a great addition to gameplay, BUT it's tedious doing the 'clean-up' afterwards and chasing lost souls down/waiting for them to come to you, especially in a big area (Sunlust's God Machine comes to mind...)

Pain elemental is the most annoying thing in Doom. Just Pain Elemental or Lost Soul is the most unfun thing to kill

In large numbers, Lost Souls do get annoying after awhile, especially in confined spaces. But...I get it, flying skulls shrouded in flames...there had to be something along those lines in a game called DOOM where you battle the forces of Hell. Pain Elementals suck. Perhaps not strictly necessary, they never really make THE difference, they're always just kind of a chore, tedious to deal with.

I gotta avoid the rocket launcher if there are lost souls around as they can be right near me in no time. Lol.

Edited by Blackroat

I think my biggest problem with lost souls is that they're so fast and their attack is so powerful that it's easy to lose track of them and become surrounded and quickly killed by a mid-sized group. Lowering their health would help (especially in Doom 1 WADs) but just their attack strength would go a long way toward making them much more palatable.

On their own, I think they're fun; I think of them as target practice, however... pain elementals on the other hand can respectively smd