Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I_Am_Doom_Man

Doors don't work in Crispy Doom when Editing in ZDoom (Doom in Hexen Format)

Hey so I've been following a tutorial for making a simple door and I noticed it was suggested that I use ZDoom (Doom in Hexen Format) for editing maps. I notice this comes with the benefit of using the triggers in the editing menu. Thing is, since crispydoom is my preferred source port, the triggers I make don't seem to work. Only when I'm playing in GZDoom am I able to open the doors. How should I remedy this?

This person has given you bad advice as Crispy Doom does not support the Hexen map format. Frankly I'm surprised such a level even launches for you given its data structures are completely different. Crispy Doom is strictly only a limit removing vanilla Doom port, so if you want to make maps for it you must use the Doom format.

Thanks so much for the help. Would you happen to know any tutorials for how to do similar triggers in the Vanilla Doom format?

EDIT: Never mind, I just opened the original E1M1 and looked at the linedef properties for the first door and how they did it. Thanks again.

A simple door opening trigger but like I said I just looked into the og E1M1 map and saw how it was done. I see it shows a set of predefined actions in the actions list and there's one selected for opening a door.

That's pretty much correct, yes. Vanilla Doom didn't really have flexibility in its actions, if they wanted a new kind of action they basically just hardcoded a new one.

For door actions (and several others) the name has a couple of characters at the front that describe how the action works. For example action 1 is DR Door Open Wait Close. The D referring to Door (meaning you use it on the line of the door, rather than remotely), and the R referring to repeatable (you can use the door multiple times) opposed to 1 which would mean you can only use the door once.

Others include W, meaning it's a walkable line trigger (you walk over it, it activates), and S, meaning a switch that's used on another line elsewhere.

For a complete list of vanilla doom actions, look here: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Linedef_type

And here's a simple step by step guide on how to make a door: 

The quickest way to make a door in the DB2 family of editors is the "make door" function. You just highlight/select a sector and execute the action (Shift+D by default), then configure the door to your liking. Knowing how to do it manually is important, too, of course.