Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bdubzzz

The Resurgence of: DWIronman League.

Hopefully I did everything correctly.

Even if I did, I died on MAP02.

Played on DSDA-Doom because PrBoom+ has been acting up on my pc recently.

worriedidiot_resurge[1].rar

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this run was completely blind.

Edited by Worriedidiot

Greetings,

Had some minor mouse movement issues but nothing serious (PrBoom can't seem to make small movements).

I made it Blind to Map03 with 81/101 kills UV difficulty.

That mancubus platform area and ensuing ambush is quite naughty.

JarkAttemptResurge.zip

9 hours ago, Suitepee said:

NO JOSHY NO!

YES JOSHY YES! (this is one of my favorite wads; probably gonna eat it on Map01 but oh boy i hope i get far in this one)

Here's my run :), the details are in the text file but I'll just post them here anyways

This is a submition for the DWIronman League, for the standard category, this is a blind run, although I accidentally found some secrets

Recorded in DSDA-Doom v.0.19.7, UV, complevel 9 with strict mode on

(which disables some features that obviously are not allowed in speedrunning, like Automatic SR50 and SR50 in turns, among some others)

Command line used:

./dsda-doom -iwad DOOM2.WAD -file Resurge.wad -warp 01 -skill 4 -complevel 9 -record ResIronManLol6

Died in Map 03 due to an Arch-Vile blast after going through the mancubi area.

Run: ResIronManLol6[1].zip

I had to delete my auto-load folders, but eh, I can create them again ;)

Edited by Lol 6 : Added the number to the name of the zip, to indicate that's a blind run

18 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

Here's my run :), the details are in the text file but I'll just post them here anyways

This is a submition for the DWIronman League, for the standard category, this is a blind run, although I accidentally found some secrets

Recorded in DSDA-Doom v.0.19.7, UV, complevel 9 with strict mode on

(which disables some features that obviously are not allowed in speedrunning, like Automatic SR50 and SR50 in turns, among some others)

Command line used:

./dsda-doom -iwad DOOM2.WAD -file Resurge.wad -warp 01 -skill 4 -complevel 9 -record ResIronManLol6

Died in Map 03 due to an Arch-Vile blast after going through the mancubi area.

Run: ResIronManLol6[1].zip

I had to delete my auto-load folders, but eh, I can create them again ;)

May I ask if you beat my monster count? 

4 minutes ago, Jark said:

May I ask if you beat my monster count? 

By one kill (At least that's what the extended HUD says)

Category 1, dead at the very beginning of MAP04 in 22:17ish. DSDA-Doom v0.19.7 cl9 etc

resurge_maribo[1].zip

Quite a boring demo, really, I play terrified and methodically clear area by area on blind playthroughs, usually. Episode 1 has nice aesthetics... I'm a sucker for hell.

On 8/4/2021 at 4:20 PM, Jark said:

Greetings,

Had some minor mouse movement issues but nothing serious (PrBoom can't seem to make small movements).

When you record a demo PRBoom defaults to -shorttics which is basically what you described, cant make very small turning movements. This is very useful for tricks such as glides but it does take some getting use to.

Category 2 demo. Got to map16 in 3:23:XX and then I've been killed to death.

On 8/4/2021 at 1:20 PM, Jark said:

If you're using a recent version of PrBoom+ (UMAPINFO) or dsda-doom, there's an option called "carry fractional tics" that may improve the feeling when demo recording. It still uses short tics so you can only turn in noticeable increments, however it will remember smaller movements across tics so they may add up to a full increment over time. Without it, PrBoom+ drops any mouse movement that doesn't amount to a full increment each tic, so if you're moving your mouse too slowly (insufficient to turn a full increment in a single game tic), you end up not turning at all. With "carry fractional tics" on, moving your mouse slowly will still result in turning when the movement adds up to a turn increment, even if it's across multiple frames.

Category 1

Is my first time posting an ironman try and the wad was fun but im bad hehe, i thought i was going to die in many ocasions in only 5 levels but i choke on the cyberdemon figth in map 5 the first one and died in a stupid way i managed to get to map 5 and exited map 4 at 41:49

IronmanResurgeTry_amidamarulas.rar

On 8/4/2021 at 6:45 PM, NoisyVelvet said:

YES JOSHY YES! (this is one of my favorite wads; probably gonna eat it on Map01 but oh boy i hope i get far in this one)

Could've been worse.  Not bad.

DEAD: Map03

Category 2

prboom+ 2.5.1.3

noisy_Resurge_ironman.zip

Here is my Category 1 run.

dwi_pegleg_resurge_cat1.zip

Dead on: Map 01

Kills: 22/81

Time of death: 2:22

Record on: PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4

I like it here at the bottom. I've made it homey. I might as well when I play this badly on such a routine basis.

Anyway, there's not a whole lot I can say about Resurgence besides there's a lot of red in the beginning of the first map. As usual, good movement helps, which is generally where I fall down. And being able to berzerk punch things effectively appears to be important, and that is also a skill that is lacking. The enemy placement appears to be good and forces you to keep moving when you're out in the open. With enemies on all sides, it doesn't allow you much of a chance to catch a breath until you've cleared some of the monsters away. Oh, and I liked the midi.

Cat 1, died on map 09, 226/271 kills. About 2.5 hours into the playthrough.

Spoiler

I really, really liked this mapset. It was full of fun starts and had a great variety of encounters so that none of the maps I played felt the same, which is sometimes a problem in larger projects. Any map-specific thoughts will be written below.

MAP 01 :: 11:03 / 11:03 (100% kills, 100% secrets)

A good little starting map. I ran a little short on ammo since I was saving the berserk as an instant 100% health kit, rather than using it in its intended purpose to punch some demons. A tight, compact layout with good vertical gunplay. The backpack ambush was sneaky.

MAP 02 :: 12:48 / 23:51 (100% kills, 33% secrets)

A fun hot start. Played a nice game of dodgeball at the start with the crowds of imps and the little ammo I carried over from map01. I once again missed out by not immediately grabbing the berserk and going ham on some demons, but I wanted to have something to travel back to if a later fight absolutely beat me up. I had to have missed something obvious to get that GA/CG secret.

MAP 03 :: 14:30 / 38:32 (100% kills, 66% secrets)

The first map where I really felt threatened. I enjoyed the run-n-gun moment in the cavern with the rocket launcher, having to skip down the platforms and clear the monsters ahead and to the side of you, all while dodging quite a few mancubus fireballs. The revenant ambush while teleporting back from the red key altar (to the top of the cavern) could have easily gone wrong.

MAP 04 :: 23:55 / 1:02:16 (99% kills, 66% secrets)

Another hot start! I finally decided to not waste the berserk pack. Somewhere, the map makers are letting out a sigh of relief.

MAP 05 :: 8:14 / 1:02:16 (~95% kills, 50% secrets)

Zero to 100 at the start, with an incredibly moody midi to compound the atmosphere as I was finding the keys. The drop down into the cyberdemon room made me jump just a little, and I was so focused on using the SSG and dodging rockets that I didn't even notice the plasmagun until after the fight. Very tense map. I liked the overall style of this map - was my favorite aesthetic look of maps 1-5.

MAP 06 :: 12:14 / 1:22:44 (100% kills, 0% secrets)

One of my first thoughts was: Joshy's not screwing around anymore. That was a helluva start, and the chaingunners teleporting in after my first shot gave me an instant E4M1 vibe. Very difficult and fun start to the new episode. I liked the more castle-y hell aesthetic of this map and map 05.

MAP 07 :: 17:16 / 1:40:00 (100% kills, 100% secrets)

More run-n-gun action right from the beginning. Had a very close call after killing the last Mancubus and jumping down for some supplies - got boxed in with maybe ~30hp and was able to press through to get a medikit while at maybe ~15%hp.

MAP 08 :: 31:16 / 2:11:16 (100% kills, 0% secrets)

This map may have my favorite layout of the set so far. Enemies on all sides, with only a few places to truly stop and breathe. I liked the great monster placement in particular - platforms overlooking multiple rooms, on the window ledges in hallways, etc. Lots of sightlines to create a hectic environment. The blue key ambush in particular stood out. Facing flying cacos/elementals from one direction, with chaingunners teleporting to their own perch, and mancubi coming up the steps behind you kept me on my toes.

MAP 09 :: died @ 226/271 kills, approximately 2:34:00 on the clock.

Repeating myself, but a great hectic start into a good red key fight into a good fight near the plasmagun switch. I got real lucky there - had ~35hp and an archvile targeting me that switched to an infighting imp with maybe a second left before the zap. I was feeling good after that, with 100a/100h before I ran into the cyberdemon near the blue key. I'd stepped toe-to-toe with two already in this mapset, but for whatever reason I failed to side-step a rocket and went splat. One rocket, and one bad step, was all it took.

I played more of the mapset after the first run, and I'm currently up to map 11 right now, maybe ~1200 kills into it with 5-6 deaths already while trying to figure out how to play it. I'll play some more into episode 3, but I'm generally not a fan of slaughter maps, but I liked the first 10 maps so much that I'll continue on for a bit to see where Resurgence goes in the later levels.

This is why I like following Ironman/Megawad/etc clubs so much - there are just so many maps in Doom/2 that it's so easy to miss some great ones. Thanks for this month's choice.

cat1_super_resurge.zip

Category 2

Dead on map 06, unknown % of kills.

DSDA-Doom 0.20.00, cl-9

Spoiler

A lot more hitscan than I remembered, coupled with gratuitous blockmap on that bit paved the way to an obvious ending. Regardless, it was good revisiting one of my favs. I didn't think I'd get any further than the first introduction of the "resurgence spectres™", and I started to take it more serious nearing the end of the second map. Oh well, maybe for the best because my heart would not like the pressure of the latter maps in these types of challenges... 

resurge_IMbygal.zip

category 2, i've played most of this without saves and recorded a demo for 18 way back. 

still not enough to keep me from dying on map 2.  wrapped up in homing revenant missiles, distracted by incoming cacos.

loveless_resurge_cat2.zip

Holy shit....Resurgence is a one-of-a-nasty kind of set. Haven't played it for a while.

I'll try my attempt when I can...