Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forgettable pyromaniac

BREAKING GROUND (BREAKING.WAD)

Alright, first update I guess :p

Been making maps, of course. They won't be super-duper detailed and interesting, as I myself am focusing more-so on the gameplay of each level rather than the looks, or at least I hope I am and not just being lazy, but don't take that as a sign that it'll just be random textures splashed across the wall with no rhyme or reason, cuz I'm doing my best to avoid that at the very least :p

As for the custom monsters, I think they add just enough variety to be interesting but not enough to necessarily kill off all the fun, just more challenging. 

Also, currently working on map14, but map02 and map13 feel a bit undercooked so I might need to fix those up a bit.

Capture.PNG.f6eb4261a8e4b9494777eb2254db0612.PNG but yeah that's what I got so far :p

Finally got the episode names rounded up with final names, with one being a episode that's just "ye throw the extra maps in here" episode halfway through, since that tends to be the weakest part of any wad. Still working on map15, and now that I've completed D2ISO, I now have a bunch of extra tricks up my oversized sleeves.

I still only got one person helping with a map, with one more saying maybe. If you wanna help with the load at all, leme know, it would be greatly appreciated ._ ."

Alright, I finally landed on what sounds I'll use (Doom 64 sounds actually slap though) and messed with the weapons some more, mostly with changing some of the ones I didn't quite like to their Doom 64 variants. It's not perfect, but it looks/sounds pretty damn cool, not gonna lie. Also can I say for the record that using the color remap in slade3 feels hella janky for some reason :(

What's the reason you're going for as many as 32 maps? How long will they be? We rarely see such large wads these days. Nice that roadworx is also contributing a map too, I remember I liked something of his. Just make sure it will somoehow be worth playing as a whole.

17 hours ago, game said:

What's the reason you're going for as many as 32 maps? How long will they be? We rarely see such large wads these days. Nice that roadworx is also contributing a map too, I remember I liked something of his. Just make sure it will somoehow be worth playing as a whole.

Nah mate, don't worry! Doing my best to make sure it isn't an incoherent mess lmao

Some maps (especially toward the beginning) will be quite short, but they do grow into bigger and more expansive places as it moves on!

As for why I wanted to do 32 maps: I wanted to make something big! Some of the wads I've made before have been at max 10 maps, so I wanted to make something a lot bigger. Also I used to only work with UDMF since that's what I was told to use, but I thought what you could do with BooM was awesome and wanted to do stuff like that myself!

This was also one of those Casali moments where I wanted something around my skill level. It's not quite slaughtermapa ofc, but I wanted something that would challenge me without just instantly killing me like most wads I've played do (so I'd say it's difflculty is around TNT levels, but zombiemen aren't in every level lmao)

https://youtu.be/Df2ayYK80T0 = part 1. (maps 1-11)

https://youtu.be/7_ZIVWog1CQ = part 2. (maps 12-20, plus 31 & 32)

https://youtu.be/hvBsWZlg9GA = part 3 (maps 21-30).

A decent enough mapset overall, although perhaps lacking in ideas across the entire 32-map stretch, since there were a few "make variations of existing classic Doom/popular wad levels" throughout the collection. Some interesting ideas permeated throughout Breaking Ground (including an interesting 'death exit' on map 25) though regardless, but overall was quite averagely enjoyable and had a few bugs sprinkled throughout the middle third.

Disappointed to see an Icon of Sin fight for map 30, but I'm used to seeing that by now. A shame more mappers don't follow the 1kLines3 example (from Aurelius) of how to better end a long mapset.

I might suggest next time that the author doesn't make another 32-map megawad, but instead makes a shorter 10-map episode or equivalent, because there were some nice ideas throughout Breaking Ground, but perhaps spread a bit too thin at times. I do see some nice potential from this mapper in the future though.

(P.S: Pink Fuckers. Great name for Pinkies at the end there. Very Going Down-esque.)

On 11/28/2021 at 6:40 PM, Suitepee said:

... had a few bugs sprinkled throughout the middle third...

(P.S: Pink Fuckers. Great name for Pinkies at the end there. Very Going Down-esque.)

Hopefully all of the issues you came across are fixed with this RC1 release! Thank you for your help.

(P.S: They're really annoying lmao)

I played the first episode and liked it but why are you fucking with my automap. Stop it.

The second episode was okay. I skipped the Hunted clone. 

I got stuck on e3m5 and decided to give this wad a pass.

I ran into an issue here (pic). I saw something move in front of me and then I couldn't enter the door. Because it's hard to see the player marker, I'm trying to enter the restroom to the north.

Screenshot (235).png

Edited by Bryan T

16 hours ago, Bryan T said:

I ran into an issue here (pic). I saw something move in front of me and then I couldn't enter the door. Because it's hard to see the player marker, I'm trying to enter the restroom to the north.

Screenshot (235).png

Wait huh

can you show what's wrong

like minus automap

cuz I don't think I follow sorry :p

Sorry, it's a problem on my end. Turns out it's a mod called LiveReverb messing it up.

Edited by Bryan T