Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xristofer

Disappointed in the grudges I see being held all these years later.

I'm leaving it open long enough for OP to kindly post the code that they're talking about, because I'm genuinely curious, as are a few other people.
In all seriousness, if this is a "new person doesn't understand how mods work" thing, then I'm perfectly willing to help, but if it's just to be a raging jerk then no.

i dont think this is a joke account he really has a youtube channel with some doom videos he is not lying about that

i dont want to link his channel here to not send hate his way but this is not a joke account he is probaly just a newby

1 hour ago, Xristofer said:

Personally is rather disappointing to grab a map pack and then have it troll you when you use certain weapon packs like brutal doom. I don't care what you have against the author of that mod it's past time to put the grudge down and be an adult. Sad when cacodemon award winning maps especially have this nonsense going on. That should be an automatic disqualify because it's being done on purpose. I have literally gone in on some of these maps and deleted on line of obvious code and been able to get it working with whatever weapon mods I want. Make your maps but don't sit there and make them where particular weapon packs don't work deliberately because your feelings got hurt in 2012. 

Mod: Modifies code

Other mod: Also modifies code

It's that simple, OP. Unless the modder is going to expressly build their mod with a specific mod in mind, they will both assume things and not be compatible. If Mod A tells the game to replace the Shotgun with the Mega Fucker 9000, and the Mod B tells it to replace the Shotgun with a mini-jet fighter that drops bombs, who wins and gets to replace the shotgun?

Experienced Doom players know the technical answer is "The last one in the load order." They also know that the game will probably immediately die because some info gets loaded from both mods, but not all they need, and it will disgracefully crash.

Doing basic research, learning a little more about how the engine works, and about things like mod conflicts before you go assuming that modders "intentionally" keep their mods from running other mods would serve a long way for not making you look like a fool.

Make your maps but don't sit there and make them where particular weapon packs don't work deliberately because your feelings got hurt in 2012. 

Yeah...looks like it's all about your grudges. Not us.

Anyway...

To my knowledge any mod that included something to "troll" mostly did so as a conflict flag to let you what you're trying won't work in case it doesn't outright crash ZD.

Brutal Doom will not work with things that modify the same assets as it and if it does, it will dramatically alter the experience in a way clearly not intended.

Content creators have a right to say how or not they want their product played. What weapons the players use and how the gameplay works is part of their overall product. You're still free to modify the experience, but unfortunately far too many people complain that the intended experience does not work when they are piling on a bunch of incompatible addons.

How about the first place winner from last year if you have to have a particular map pack in question. Every 30s you get booted to the next level when using a brutal doom and examination of the code shows that it's on purpose. 

Since you aren't giving me the pleasure of naming the mappack in question, that entry is not purposefully breaking other stuff. Esp not BD.

If anything else, one popular mod, Project Brutality, is known to be breaking instead.

Furthermore i encourage you to speak freely and clearly. What most of us speak up against is the apparent non-clarity of your argument, referring to maps without examples.

22 minutes ago, loveless said:

i have been misled.  i saw the thread title, clicked the link, and there is no content to be found.  literally zero content.  just basic whinging from a hat and a few loosely related responses.

I too would have startes my life at Doom a little more introductory.

18 minutes ago, Eggman07 said:

Is this thread gonna get locked

A definitive probability.

FYI the OP is a brand new member so is first-day post-capped and won’t be able to respond until the next day

3 minutes ago, Horus said:

FYI the OP is a brand new member so is first-day post-capped and won’t be able to respond until the next day

Probably why he made such a low-effort post.

1 hour ago, dew said:

OP, tell the truth. Have you been playing HDoom?

Most likely.

Dear lord, can we stop piling onto this guy? The last post he made was BEFORE someone explained why the wad didn't allow Brutal Doom, for all you know he could be completely understanding now but he's not even able to reply.

Ok, let me get this straight, you’re saying that Antaresian Reliquary had a grudge against Sergeant Mark IV and that’s why it doesn’t support BD

Well, I gotta break it to you, and say that most of the time when there’s a mod already in a wad it, most probably, won’t be compatible with other mods, it’s basically trying to play two mods together that both replace weapons, and it doesn’t, because it can’t, it’s not on purpose because it already has a mod, that’s like trying to load two wads that replace the same levels at the same time

18 minutes ago, Horus said:

oof

that explains the lack of response then

2 hours ago, Decay said:

TL;DR

I think it's not when they're incompatible due to a technical issue, but when the sole reason for incompatibility is the author's own volition. That I think is where a point can be made.

But I don't think there is any map pack that does it, and any that does could be rectified with a simple fix as OP himself pointed out. So I'm still a bit confused.

16 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Probably why he made such a low-effort post.

Dude, do you have any real contribution to make or are you just gonna do Twitter-style whimpering?

25 minutes ago, Tarnsman said:

but unfortunately far too many people complain that the intended experience does not work when they are piling on a bunch of incompatible addons.

Like, playing Doom 2 in Spain Only in anywhere outside Spain?

Good to know Anteresian Reliquary has this "problem", which is hilarious. Definitely will have some extra points from me as a WAD itself.

Should map makers even have the right to purposefully disallow Brutal Doom from working in their wads? I understand if the wad already has gameplay alterations which they've been designed around, but if they're just new maps and nothing else then would there be any reason to purposefully prevent Brutal Doom from working with it?

I feel like most Brutal Doom players will only play the game with it active and never vanilla because it only feels like a downgrade to them, but then by disallowing Brutal Doom, you would only be making your wad less accessable for everyone because Brutal Doom players wouldn't play your wad if it could only be played vanilla. It would just be pure gatekeeping, DARE I SAY IT!

46 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

I'm leaving it open long enough for OP to kindly post the code that they're talking about, because I'm genuinely curious, as are a few other people.
In all seriousness, if this is a "new person doesn't understand how mods work" thing, then I'm perfectly willing to help, but if it's just to be a raging jerk then no.

Arlene, as Horus pointed out, OP is new and post-capped, so you or one of the other mods may want to temporarily lock this thread before OP comes back tomorrow to another page or two of the same points being made over and over. Then, we may get a response from them if they feel less dog-piled.

@Xristofer since your post limit may have been reached, i invite you to read the replies.

Please, don't take them as an attack against you.

If there is any reply that may be offensive, just try to ignore it. People sometimes react on different ways and not always on a polite manner, so i hope you can understand what the other members here, that are replying politely enoigh, are trying to explain to you.

To make things a little easier, think it the opposite way.

Suppose Sergeant Mark release his own map pack with Brütal Doom embeded on it.

But you want to play ot with other gameplay mod.

Does this mean Sergeant Mark did that on purpose to prevent player to play it with othwr mods?

Not at all, its simply that he designed the map pack around the gameplay modifications he inteoduced with Brütal Doom.

The same applies to most modern wads out there.

Backthen, people only used gameplay mods on zdoom base ports, but things changes a lot on the last years and a lot of new non-zdoom gameplay modifications are possible now.

For that reason, people is experimenting with new ways to make their maps challenging, and so, implemented their own modifications.

Unfortunatelly, for that same reason, it becomes incompatible with gameplay mods in general, not only Brütal Doom.

As it was already said before, the grudge you are talking about its something from the past.

Most people move from it, and rhose that didn't, well, they are simple ignored.

Hope you can understand this, and simple move on from it, too.

2 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Arlene, as Horus pointed out, OP is new and post-capped, so you or one of the other mods may want to temporarily lock this thread before OP comes back tomorrow to another page or two of the same points being made over and over. Then, we may get a response from them if they feel less dog-piled.

agreed, at this point it's just gonna scare them away

hey people i think we should dial back our responses a bit not only because he probaly can not reply but also because like i said he is not a troll he even has a yt channel with some doom videos

this guy is most likely a noob and i think we should wait for his reply