Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNoob_Gamer

Do you refer to a Doom map by its name or its slot number?

Question mostly applicable to WADs with 2+ maps  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Your choice

• By its map name (e.g Hanger)
    • By its slot number (e.g MAP01)

A rather random question that sprang up my mind lately, as I don't see people referring to a map (within a multi-map WAD) by its name often. 

Personally, if the map has some unique traits, I'd refer to it using its actual name, rather than by which slot it belongs to.

I switch back and forth between their names and slot numbers depending on whichever map you're talking about. Sometimes I remember the name better based on the visuals I can also remember about them. It becomes harder to remember their slot numbers the further up the chain you go. 

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

It becomes harder to remember their slot numbers the further up the chain you go. 

Yeah I think when you first play a WAD the names stick out more. Then if you play it as a whole more often you start to remember numbers

I normally refer to it by name. I play a lot of single maps where the name matters.

But I still refer to the name more often than not. I know I love Netherworld Citadel in No End in Sight and I always have to look up the number so I can go straight there.

I actively try to remember slot more than name just because it makes talking about it with no ambiguity easier, especially if reporting bugs to the author or w/e. I suck ass at remembering 90% of map names unless they’re particularly unique (and even then it’s still liable to slip..)

i still don't remember all map names for Doom and Doom II, and i'm playing those for decades. digits are easier!

It's far easier to remember a map number than a map name IMO

98% of the time, I refer to maps by their number. The remaining 2% of the time, I refer to them by name.

Map slots. Maps names from Ultimate Doom's Episode 4 are so complicated for me that I always forgot them for instance.

I alternate between the two. I usually only say the names of the most memorable maps. But something like MAP23 will just be MAP23.

Map numbers all the way. I can't remember the names of most maps, whereas I tend to remember map numbers much more easily.

I find it much easier to remember a name than a number but when I'm talking about something in a post here on Doomworld I usually just write both.

I refer maps by numbers, it's way easier to remember than knowing the name. Sometimes I refer maps by their names if I don't remember the slot number.

I always use names if I can because back when I started on PSX it was going up to like MAP59 so I just learned the names, I know "The Citadel" better than Map 47 (how did I remember that number? Map 47 is where I always got stuck until I figured out I had to shoot a random wall).

Mostly numbers for pwads, but more names for iwads, simply because I can actually remember them.

Just for fun, I tested my memory right now. The only Doom 1 level I couldn't simply list with no prompting was E4M5 They Will Repent, but I definitely knew it was the GSTONE level.

Doom 2 I could name 26 in their correct slots. I switched two and couldn't remember four, but the only one of those I still couldn't even picture without looking it up is The Catacombs.

Plutonia I could only name 12 in their correct slot and another 4-5 rough positions. Looking at the list makes me realize I have not played much Plutonia recently, even though I loved it a couple decades ago.

For TNT I could name 21 in their correct slots and another 4 whose slots I got wrong. But when I see the list, the only one I couldn't immediately picture was 17 Processing Area, and I also conflated 19-20 in my mind.

I usually refer to maps by number. For some, I'll probably always say the name of if it's iconic enough or short enough. Like "Hangar" or "Dis" or "Tower of Babel". I'll never remember the name of E2M5 AKA Command Center because I forget the map exists.

Neither. I go off of set pieces if anything. Last week, I was talking to someone on Youtube about the megawad, Speed of Doom and the ending to one of the maps which had you go inside a coffin to commit suicide to go to hell (metal af). I know now it was MAP 20: The Path to Hell but that was after some quick research. Lead me to replay the whole mappack outta nostalgia lol.

If I know the name of the map, I go by the name. If I don't know of such name or forget about it (95% of the time), the map slot is the way to go.

I suppose you mean E1M1? And it's name is Hangar.. and there's TNT Map05 and called Hanger, so well.

Voted number. Usually number because it's the convention of posting demos, but sometimes when talking about the contents of the level, maybe the name will be easier for you to remember something.

To me, it seems levels around 20~25 in MegaWADs, I usually have a hard time remembering what number slot they are in, and sometimes it's helpful to tell me the name of it. For Scythe 2 kind of structure, good to have a map name. For example, I know there's a map called Dehydration in Eviternity, but I can't remember the number..

It's rare that I even remember a map's name. The ones that really stick out in my mind from Doom 2 are "'O' of Death" and "Barrels o' Fun". Mostly I just use the number, which also helps if using cheats to change levels.

I use names when they're memorable or relevant. "Barrels o' fun" and "The Chasm" speak for themselves (also I keep forgetting the Chasm's mapslot), but Catacombs? What catacombs? Not to mention Thy Flesh Consumed levels, which are the peak of non-indicativeness... well, I guess most Doom 1 names are. Doom 2 level names are relevant to their content more often.

I use both, though when first mentioning a level I usually say "Map??". Some maps I refer to be their names if they're really well-known (Mount Pain, for example), but yeah.

If it's not by the slot number, it's usually what MIDI plays in the level.

Map09 is just the Into Sandy's City Level.

Map23 is the Alice In Chains MIDI level.

I tend to remember map names better than slot numbers, but in cases where I can't remember either (which is often) I will refer to the map as "The one with X" or "The one that X made".

It depends on the map really. E1M1 is E1M1, there's no way around how first the map is and that's what I remember more, but something like Circle of Death O' of Destruction I often forget the map slot entirely, but I know the name cause that is more notable to me.

I think I remember what is most notable and if nothing else then the map number, more so for Doom 1 because going by episode number and then map number is more notable than just saying map 17.

Depends. I very often remember different maps. Like in this peculiar session: 

• Doom 2 - I really hate The Chasm 
  • TNT - I hate Quarry 
  • Plutonia - I quite don't like The Final Frontier. 
  • Memento Mori - I hate Diehard 
  • MM2 - I don't really like Io Lab 
  • Hell Revealed - I really hate Post Mortem 
  • Requiem - Procrustes Chambers is one of my least favorite Doom maps ever! 
  • Alien Vendetta - I turned out to hate Clandestine Complex and Demonic Hordes

Coinscidence? Tip - guess the numbers of all these maps! 

I memorise slot numbers more than I do whatever name I see in the automap and intermissions.

It's important especially if you're playing a WAD that doesn't have U/E/ZMAPINFO or a DeHackEd patch/lump because it's easy to forget what you saw in the intermission before the level you're playing.