Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ICID

Endless Random /idgames WAD Adventures #013

744443972_eriwa013.png.59afd5c91e14095db9bd97d64c464c3e.png

ICID, what the hell is this now?

Endless Random /idgames WAD Adventures is a small project of exploration, interaction, entertainment and reviews where we meet once every 2 weeks to select random WADs in search of hidden treasures, lost promises, or our worst nightmares! We use the /idgames archive’s special feature that lets us search for random files. Of course, sometimes they are resources or unplayable stuff, so we focus on looking for WADs.

The event is named after its originator, fearless leader and WAD reviewer par excellence Endless, but I am helping to run things for the time being.

So, what do we do here?

1. We/I try to play at least 5 (or more if you can) random WADs on /idgames. For that, we use the Random File feature.
  2. We comment/review the WADs for the duration of the two-week event. There’s no required pacing (you can do all 5 on the first day if you want), but most of us post a review once every 1-2 days.
  3. Please take screenshots or video of your adventures.
  4. Play however you want, on any skill level, as long as you play the WAD as intended/in working shape.
  5. Avoid shitting on people’s work and try to review in a respectful manner. Of course, we can all have a good laugh if we find something odd.

What kind of WADs are we looking for?

Mostly singleplayer Doom or Heretic WADs that work in your sourceport(s) of choice. You can skip DM WADs if you don’t have anyone to play with. I also pull at least 7 random WADs for the event and add them here. Feel free to play them with me if you wish, or look for your own! The point of the event ifs to encourage you to explore this vast, random world.

Tips/recommendations for commenting/reviewing:

Spoiler
  1. Always provide both the name of the WAD and a link to the file. Very important.

2. Providing the name of the author is also good form, especially if you know their work.

3. Commenting the source port and skill-level is not required, but provides helpful context to your review.

4. Try to stick to no more than 1 WAD per day to avoid burnout, but this part’s all up to you, champ!

5. As mentioned above, screenshots or videos are awesome.

6. Reviews of all formats are valid, both longform and shortform are good as long as you write with integrity.

Endless Random /idgames WAD Adventures of this event:

twitchy2.gif.7f0ac35f65dca08ef0b947a934496b37.gif

1. The Red Skull Key
  2. Trial
  3. Cave Dweller
  4. Another Awsome Doom PWAD
  5. The Arch-vile Compressor
  6. Object "32"
  7. Eye of the Tiger v3.1

1076803717_adventurersscores.png.0acc1debc0f7115beaa942ebc12b114f.png

Spoiler

The Top 10 (Out of 24)

1. @Roofi | 1365
  2. @Sena | 580
  3. @Walter confetti | 350
  4. @Endless | 260
  5. @ICID | 210
  6. @smeghammer | 175
  7. @LUISDooM | 165
  8. @Maribo | 145
  9. @Biodegradable | 105
  10. @Misty | 75

Join the Doom Master Wadazine community for more events like this! » https://discord.gg/Q2RKn4J

» Previous adventures:

Wow, a Lainos map! Iirc the map you've got this time won a cacoward too!

I think to have played AA22.WAD very long time ago, i have to see the screenshots of the map when you play it...

Wow a new thread, time surely goes fast around here.

Okay, let's get started.

Today I have 2 maps, one for Doom and other for Doom 2. Generally thanks to Idgames RNG I always end up getting not-so-interesting maps to play (not that I hate them), but today, looks like the almighty RNG gods smiled at me, because I got actually GOOD maps! :O

Both maps were played with latest GZDooM, HMP difficulty, Doom (strict).

The first one is called "NEVEREST.WAD", from 1994 by Mattias Widmark. Replaces Doom E2M1.

I'll be honest here, just after booting up the map, taking the chaingun at the corner and seeing in horror a Cyberdemon (oh my!) and a long hallway, I thought this would be one of those run-for-your-life challenge maps, having to literally dance around rockets to survive. Thankfully I was wrong, because after that somewhat

annoying part, the map gets a bit better, even if the monster placement is a bit weird sometimes or some map progressing stuff is hidden behind secret areas.

Other than that stuff, this is a nice early map, can't complain with this one XD

Screenshots

Spoiler

NEVEREST.WAD-01.jpg.1ccbf4c7223e0eb432897f471b1c2f66.jpg

The start point

NEVEREST.WAD-02.jpg.32f84c9b5fd1cc94cc270aa9a1608cbe.jpg

2 seconds after booting up the map...

NEVEREST.WAD-03.jpg.3526f9bb4d91c5a7066160a43f473325.jpg

NEVEREST.WAD-04.jpg.443c8d54ae8a8a2d54895574cca58c35.jpg

NEVEREST.WAD-05.jpg.e73c8a6b0558d5c01b71af56bb8d53c1.jpg

Barons dancing and having fun with some Cacos

NEVEREST.WAD-06.jpg.65a3bbd2d631a60df7352894846ec39d.jpg

I really liked this room or some reason XD

NEVEREST.WAD-07.jpg.83cffb55c85e895043b5ca19d9215993.jpg

NEVEREST.WAD-08.jpg.40f87c1cb861f2495a4fe0bccecf8cb2.jpg

Da exit

NEVEREST.WAD_E2M1.jpg.3d591b3a13a14bcb5f16d61a652ed63e.jpg

"am_cheat 1"

The second one is called "Hell Pit", a map from 1996 (released on 2004) by Use3d. Replaces Doom 2 MAP26.

Another good early map with nice architecture and monster placement, full of entertainig fights and good challenges. Pretty good from start to a bit before the end, giving constant entertaining action. While I really liked the room designs and map layout, it gets a bit confusing at the end, since pressing the blue key switch close to a blue key marked door, it doens't open it as expected, but opens another unrelated door that you must backtrack a bit to find the way to it. Even the map author stated they didn't know what they were thinking about when they made it lol

Anyways, besides that, this is a a pretty good and challenging map, I died a lot and I liked it. I don't say this often, but I really reccomend it. XD

Here, have some pics

Spoiler

HELL_PIT.WAD-01.jpg.2cfce3f23af88262155902c3a62b2806.jpg

Starting point

HELL_PIT.WAD-02.jpg.ecfa26242faababede3026b9d6be18f0.jpg

HELL_PIT.WAD-03.jpg.5967e3a6f6300f55926c87b88fdca23d.jpg

HELL_PIT.WAD-04.jpg.601ba66b1937a4d286a1c518db71d0db.jpg

HELL_PIT.WAD-05.jpg.80a1dce0e4eeb5d4bd30b3c77bf846d8.jpg

Some spooky scary skeletons

HELL_PIT.WAD-06.jpg.bea64a7fd0107f65cc4d6912f42f537a.jpg

A cool room

HELL_PIT.WAD-07.jpg.032b2f3117e5d48df6d6393d607c1e6e.jpg

A nice open area

HELL_PIT.WAD-08.jpg.a0d0c57bcacab25109e32d5a9aedffd0.jpg

The exit

HELL_PIT.WAD_MAP26.jpg.8a19e08a25cad2a4a54955e86a9a3ced.jpg

Full map

Month 3 Day 29

I play until I die or intentionally stop. I don't comment the wad where I die/stop

File 1) Novert by Istvan Pataki (2003)

NOVERT's a TSR that lets you disable the vertical movement of the mouse in DOOM and similar DOS games or applications.

Not useful for people who only play on ports but essential for those , like me, who sometimes like to play on DOSBox. I never understood the purpose of the vertical movement in FPS...

File 2) Extended Domination by Richard Jaspars 'Styx' (2003)

Spoiler

extendom1.pngextendom2.png

a fast brick and metal deathmatch level.

Hey ! Guess what? Another deathmatch level ! More seriously, I already played some Styx's DM maps and I really enjoy their aesthetics. Also, I must add a bonus point for the starry sky which completely blend well with the scenery. The author added new sounds when you obtain new weapons and ammo which are really pleasant to hear.

I didn't take the risk to grab the soulsphere the map. I think the slime pit are unescapable.

File 3) The Crash by Rick Clark (1998)

Spoiler

9fdqstrike1.pngqstrike2.pngqstrike6.pngqstrike5.pngqstrike4.pngqstrike3.png

The space ship crashed in New Mexico and it is alien. You hear sounds like screams...

An old Boom-compatible map which use special features like textures scrolling vertically. It has great looking for its time and contains also  several vanilla tricks like transparent doors, 3D bridges (which actually not 3D because you can't pass under them), deep water effect...

Despite that, I found this level quite average because of its very low difficulty even on UV. The author give you ton of health , notably 2 megaspheres whereas how weak the bestiary used is. You just encounter some imps and zombies. A single Arch-vile and a spider-Mastermind at the very end of the level were the most powerful monsters in the map.

You have to find 3 keys in a determined order but the level is totally linear.

In brief, great aesthetics but very average gameplay due to the lack of challenge. Also you can exit the level by just pressing the pillar at the beginning...

File 4) Yards of Chaos by Alexander Cohen, SHoGuN@irc (1995)

Spoiler

yardofchaos3.pngyardofchaos1.pngyardofchaos2.png

This is not just yet another deathmatch map. I put a lot of thought and testing into this excellent level. The weapons and powerups are placed to ensure maximum excitement and fun. There is no BFG or plasma rifle in the map, they are _NOT_ suitable for deathmatch.

An another DM map using the lovely starry sky but also , a midi of the famous metal song "Enter Sandman" by Metallica. Natural environments mixed with brick forts will always be a good choice in Doom maps. However, the texture alignements could be a lot better. Bricks look sometimes cruelly misaligned.

In singleplayer, a roaming arch-vile will be your main opponent , accompanied with some angry shotgunners and chaingunners. Nothing really hard and it's fun !

File 5) DMTEXAS1.WAD by David Bruni (2005)

Spoiler

dmtexas11.pngdmtexas16.pngdmtexas15.pngdmtexas14.pngdmtexas12.pngdmtexas13.png

A large, tough floor. Takes me 25 minutes to complete without cheating. Thought about making the map look like the state of Texas, but gave up on that, kept the name, though. Revised to support deathmatches.

An old 1994 map which had been updated in order  to support deathmatches. Indeed, contrary to what the title suggests, DMTEXAS is a pretty large singleplayer oriented level made by an old member of the TeamTNT. This map is enough popular to have a dedicated article on Doomwiki.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/DMTexas

The layout consists to a  dark town linked to a sewers system which also lead to obscure red hellish caverns. You have to go there in order to get the blue key for the exit. I appreciated how the author attempted to create large spaces and tall building. Counterwise, everything look too empty. Also, I think the omnipresent will not be everyone's taste.

Another strange thing, you can find two doors which look necessary at first sight. However, you don't even need the red key because you can access to the room with the soulsphere thanks to other doors which don't require any key. This area , as well as many others, is completly optional.

The map itself reminds a lot of Doom 2 map 13 but don't play that great. Cool map afterall but nothing outstanding.

File 6) Just another day at school... by Gary Marsh / Genesis PWADs (1995)

Spoiler

school22.pngschool23.pngschool21.png

A map of Holy Trinity Regional High in Torbay, Newfoundland. Deathmatch-only.

One of the old myschool.wad before this fashion became taboo. Actually, the overused gray brick textures as well as the rocky outdoors make feel like rather exploring a isolated prison in a mountain rather than a school. The layout is the most boring you can do : a ton of squarish empty rooms filled with randomly placed barrels for some reasons.

Just don't play this, whether you like or hate school...

In real life, the school look like this. It's not a lot better to be honest. It resembles a warehouse more than anything else.

752d0901ea6d795af21b9635b14ef51d_-newfou

File 7) Ice Floes by Martin Bazley (2014)

Spoiler

icefloes3.pngicefloes1.pngicefloes2.pngicefloes4.png

After the intricate detail of Demon Base, I decided to go for the grand scale this time. Marvel at the views from the top of the enormous ice shelves! Actually, don't, because you'll die. It's not that easy.

By reading the description, txt file , comments and playing the level, I really doubt this level was made in 2014 but rather in the 90's. However contrary to what some people think, it doesn't totally look like a 1994 map.

Indeed, textures go sometimes very random and progression tend to be somewhat obscure. However , I really dig the icy gigantic landscapes and the rivers using a custom waterfall animated texture. The same way, you get teleported in a kind of house near the end of the level which has a lot of detailed light effects.

Gameplay-wise it has nothing different than a regular 90's Ultimate Doom map , but the icy theme is really well done imo. For some reasons, E1M9 is the slot used.

Anyway, this map makes me want to see a Ultimate Doom episode taking place in Artica or Antarctica  by using massively the whitish rock texture.

File 8) SQUID.WAD by Unknown (2006)

Spoiler

SQUID3.pngSQUID4.pngSQUID5.pngSQUID6.pngSQUID1.png

Kill them and survive!

A 2006 wad which I heavily suspect it was made in 1994. SQUID.WAD is a kind of slaughtermap taking place in a senseless base but it's really fun to blow enemies with the rocket launcher.

I have a favourite for the large room upholstered with the red pentagram texture commonly used for teleporters. You have to confront a cyberdemon in this one but the author provide you ton of ammo for your weapons so that it's impossible to get killed.

I stop here for today , I'm tired.

The Red Skull Key (2001) by Pablo Dictter

Play Settings

Source Port: Gzdoom

Difficulty: UV

After playing – and fully despising – The Red Skull Key, I looked up the author and was shocked to see that in the same year this was released, Pablo Dictter contributed a map to Alien Vendetta of all things. I buzzed to the relevant part of the Dean of Doom episode on AV to try and remember what his contribution is like, and MtPain27 described it as giving you minimal health and ammo and being “the ugliest map in the whole WAD”. Checks out.

Doom is many things. For some people, it’s an infinite canvas for creativity. For others, a place to test your skill and strength. For some it’s a…a ”fun zone”, I guess, whatever that means. But I think we can all basically agree that Doom is first and foremost a game where you shoot things.

WHICH IS A LOT EASIER TO DO WHEN YOU’RE GIVEN A FUCKING GUN.

FV8oSiq.pngTer93As.png

The experience of playing The Red Skull Key – part 3 of an 8-part E4 replacement which apparently had three maps removed for being “really bad" – is like banging your head against a wall. The main setpiece is a Chasm riff where lost souls do their best to push you into an inescapable hurtfloor, but unlike the Chasm you’re not given nearly enough ammo to deal with them.

Also unlike the Chasm, instead of being the centerpiece of a visually striking, super fun level that’s a highlight of the IWADs, the platforming here is surrounded by a level that looks like garbage (as green marble always does), has basically no light or texture variation, and forces you to either choose between RNG or IDFA if you want to live, because there’s nowhere near enough ammo and you once again are limited to the basic shotgun.

This is why I use the metaphor of banging your head against a wall – you’re just running into wave after wave of monsters with no way to kill them, hoping that fate will smile upon you and make this run possible (or better yet, fun, but don’t hold out for that). There’s absolutely no redeeming qualities here. If this is one of the maps Dictter DIDN’T exclude from the pd-gates series, I’d hate to see the three that got cut.

Grade: 1/10

TL;DR: We are each only given a small amount of time on this Earth. It would be a shame to waste it playing this.

Day 1: The Red Skull Key https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/p-r/pd-trsk

As a first, this author mentioned in the readme that he made some maps that he did not release because they were bad, which is a first largely because if someone decides a map is bad and chooses not to release it, I'm probably not going to find it. In any case, despite the author's apparent familiarity with the concept of quality control, I would still say this is a bad map and one he could have done without releasing.

For starters, this map doesn't really feel like it was made in combat in mind, because the combat encounters are very unremarkable, mostly just sitting back and whittling at pinkies or lost souls, by 2001 this bloke had plenty of time to get his hands on a copy of Doom 2, but instead he decided that he'd rather make a WAD that only contains the far more drawn out and tedious option. Matter of fact, a shotgun is all you get, technically there is a chaingun at the very end, but by that point the only enemies left are 2 pinkies, 2 out of probably close to 30, and if that's not enough, they expect you to shotgun 2 separate barons, but I guess this is vaguely remedied by the fact the levels are designed in such a way you can run past everything like it's not your business.

Another major problem with the map is it feels very cobbled together, you've got one dreadful first person platforming part, Sigil did it in a couple places but I'm pretty sure they at least had the decency to make the platforms you've got to 'jump' (straferun) between wider than the ones in The Chasm, which now I think about it, is a pretty good metric for a bad map, if I compare it to The Chasm, you know it's atrocious. And beyond that, there isn't much else to say, too much backtracking, far too much teleport jumping for a map of its size, and it's just a map with bad design and bad enemy placement. 3/10.

D208 | By Jaakko Lintula aka Crawlie | 2001 | Played on Doom Retro | UV

jumsbZc.pngU7K16vL.pngMnKO9J3.png

Dated 2001, D208 is a rather simple single map WAD created by a Finnish ''student'' of almost 17 years old. An enigmatic and interesting context. That student now has about 20+ more years in his/her portfolio. Oof. Back to the map, it's pretty simple, medium-sized and with a style quite reminiscent of 90s dungeon-crawl, but expanded in size; the paths are less tight, not so dark, and in general are populated quite well by a multitude of enemies. It doesn't make use of the full Doom 2 repertoire, so the gameplay reminds me a bit of Doom 1, but with the SSG, which makes it feel somewhat easy. The gameplay is decent, it doesn't have any major problems or anything that makes it stand out in a big way. The visuals, on the other hand, follow a more modest path. The use of textures is quite limited, simple and practically only uses one visual theme for the entire duration of the map. On the other hand, in the simplicity of the architecture there are no major bugs, and the layout is, for the most part, understandable and easy to navigate. This is a map in which the author knew his own limits and was more interested in delivering a decent work than something crazy innovative or too complex for his skills. As a final point, I can only say that it is super okey.

The Demons' Hive | By Phillip Wayne | 1994 | Played on Doom Retro | UV

pPaC3zk.pngKl7rKnC.pngFmhy8n0.pngbMzKiQh.png

They're back. This time it's not the
                          moons they are after, but Mars itself.
                          There is a hive/colony on the surface,
                          and you (lucky you!) have been chosen
                          to lead the attack. But your company
                          never made it down, and you are the
                          only one left. You have some
                          explaining to do.

Well, if that .txt story doesn't pump you up I don't know what will, heh. An early WAD, from 1994, created by an author who apparently never uploaded anything again, at least to /idgames. A pity because in his .txt he indicated that he would create more levels for this work. On the other hand, to speak of the WAD: It is a clear example of the fever of WADs that we could find in the shovelware's of before. While it is not terrible, it is simply very dull in terms of its visuals, but it has a certain quality in its layouts that give it an interesting, if slightly cryptic, progression. The maps tend to have little vertical variety, with much of the design focused on creating large rooms with lots of pillars or high walls. On the one hand, it manages to create enough space so that the player doesn't feel constantly obstructed. Each map has a certain different style, I can give you that, with the best being E1M2, followed by E1M4, which has a sweet sense of exploration thanks to the inclusion of different visual themes, including some decent caverns. In short, this is a WAD that I would give a 3 out of 5 if it were 1994. It's medium, the maps tend to be a bit boring, but it doesn't have the bug plagues of the 90s, they're playable (except for E1M3, which I got stuck on, but that's probably the fault of my poor sense of direction) and they're not as bad as I thought they would be. Would you recommend them? Nah. Do I regret playing them? No, I don't. I had fun at least a little bit feeling that 90s nostalgia.

That's a great concept I missed, I used to have in my youtube channel a similar playlist "Random Doom WAD blindplay" where I just hit the random button and try to play whatever comes. I might try few here.

14 hours ago, Endless said:

What's with @Roofi finding so many school and real-life WADs? A curse... or a blessing? :P

Due to low-quality of many 90's wads inspired by real life locations, I think it's a curse :p. Some wads are very unique like this one I played weeks ago but they are very rare. 

Well...

Month 3 Day 30

I play until I die or intentionally stop. I don't comment the wad where I die/stop

File 1) Scarab2a.wad by Unknown author. (1995)

Spoiler

scarab21.pngscarab22.png

A brilliant DEATHMATCH wad... Play it!!!

What a beautiful day ! I start with a random deathmatch map ! This one probably takes his name from central room of the layout which looks a bit like a scarab. Beside that , it's a very basic level using marble textures. The author made the effort to put a new music at least.

SCARAB2AWADMAP01.png

File 2) Circle 1b (1994)

Spoiler

circles3.pngcircles4.pngcircles5.pngcircles1.png

Bug fix for original Circle.wad, including SKY1.GIF in one PWAD. Walking under rightmost crushing ceiling doesn't cause the entire level to crap up.

A very old DM map made by an unknown author. Actually , it plays more like a singleplayer map due to the map's complexity because of the intricate cavernous network as well the size of the level itself. This map uses my favourite starry sky with a blue gradiant. I really enjoy playing it and has some memorable places , like the giant skull in the cavern.

Of course , as many deathmatch maps which can be played as singleplayer one, almost all of the maps is completely optional and you have way too much ammo and health compared to monster number.

File 3) HIPPIE1.WAD by Jim Davis (1995)

Spoiler

hippie12.pnghippie13.pnghippie11.png

A few big rooms, a few small rooms, and some tunnels. Lots of wide open spaces, and some good ambush-points. I'd like to see it for team play.

Basically, this wad was created while showing a friend how to use DEU. I think it makes a dandy Deathmatch wad, although it's only been tested with two players. At the hardest level, it's got two cyberdemons. The middle levels have a cacodemon or two and a spiderdemon. The easisiest level is best for using `-respawn', as it only has one imp, some troopers, and some sergents.

Weapon-wise, it's got one of each weapon, except the chainsaw. The BFG is stuck on a small ledge behind a cyberdemon, so it's not all that accessable... I've heard that big monsters and BFGs only ruin a level, but I feel that this one works.

For a level called "Hippy" , I expected a relaxing and easy level. Instead of that, you have to encounter two cybers where one of them can roam everywhere. However, they are not dangerous compared to the shotgunners hidden behind fake walls. Indeed, you can find few armor and medkits so the shotgunners can kill you pretty easily while firing your plasma cells on the cyberdemon. I almost died in this level because of them. I didn't find the spiderdemon though.

Layout-wise, HIPPIE looks more like a DM with scattered weapons and exit which can be quickly reached  if you know where it is. Aesthetically , it looks like a very generic 1994 map.

Not bad afterall.

The next wad is The Great Bicycle Mystery 2 but I don't have the time to try finishing a 32 maps megawad today , so I stop here.

Today I got 2 maps, a Zdoom one for DooM 2 and an old one for Doom. Both maps were played with GZDooM g4.6.1, HMP difficulty, Doom (strict) compat mode.

The first one is called "Small Dark Twisted Computer Lab", from 2010 by James "Phobus" Cresswell. Replaces Doom 2 MAP01.

A small and interesting tech base map, full of small passages and some nasty traps. It uses some of Zdoom's features like slopes and some scripting. It isn't too complex architecturally and feels a bit cramped at times with some sections are too dark for me (maybe it's not the map's fault, it maybe has to do with the shader and settings cocktail I'm using lol), but it makes that up with nice fights here and there. Something worth to mention is that in a certain part of the map, you have turn on a plasma "generator" that makes some earraping plasma sounds that surely made my head hurt. DX

Despite that, it was pretty fun overall :O

Have some pics

Spoiler

SDTCL-01.jpg.80e5e812eeda02f21c86db992c701770.jpg

A bit before the starting point, it was too dark there...

SDTCL-02.jpg.b39aba9263ef0a6a0ca3a46cabde16fe.jpg

SDTCL-03.jpg.e65cf354a81af591491adc07bf4dec81.jpg

An hi-tech slopped panel

SDTCL-04.jpg.9146f75e2011ab409af3056d4147f4a1.jpg

A Caco and friends

SDTCL-05.jpg.c70aad4b65d882988162d3b5a1a3695a.jpg

The ""generator. Ahh the soothing sounds...

The second map is called "JAL_CAS1.WAD (Castle1)", from 1994 by James Legg. Replaces Doom E2M1.

This ia quite bland 94' map. Map design is much pretty simple squared rooms slapped togheter, using the same grey texture theme on almost the whole map. It also features few weak monsters that don't add too much challenge. I had some secrets, but really didn't care to get them.

I love maps from that era, but this is not one of them.

[Insert crappy screenshot joke here]

Spoiler

JAL_CAS1-01.jpg.b55b146e8a8da29f469e1cbc1eeab263.jpg

Starting point

JAL_CAS1-02.jpg.1f99e7f092bb3e1d732926f1a5acc3cc.jpg

JAL_CAS1-03.jpg.e7a42645090aaab63cbf006885b2160d.jpg

JAL_CAS1-04.jpg.37caea92e5be0cab9ff44f4e5b3a5a39.jpg

The exit, if you are wondering, the door texture acts as an exit switch.

Trial (2005) by The Arachnotron

Play Settings

Source Port: prboom+, complevel 2

Totally artless, but in the way that a big bowl of mac and cheese is: you know it’s far from gourmet cuisine, but damn if it isn’t delicious and satisfying anyway.

In my last review I pointed out that Doom is first and foremost a game where you shoot things, and for all its misaligned textures and simplistic room designs, Trial gets it, loading you up with a full cadre of weapons and letting you gorge on health and powerups as you mow down Hell’s finest. It’s bright and it’s colorful and it’s short and it’s juuuust difficult enough to not be totally boring and that’s all I need, really. Despite how pretentious I might come across in many of my reviews, I don’t see myself as a man of high standards; really just of one standard: entertain me.

Grade: 6/10

XXmNy9W.pngTjpXWcG.png

Day 2: Trial https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/dm2trl

A map made by The Arachnotron, which is reasonably good, but considering the author's name, I'm not going to even bother seeing if they've done anything else because I know what's going to happen when I look up 'the arachnotron doom'. In any case, the map's name comes from the fact the author thinks it's a trial and test of my skills. He says: "This level tests your skills as a space marine. You should be able to finish the level without running short of ammo. Ammunition should be used at its maximum, if you run out of ammo, you have not used it efficiently." I say that this level just tests if you can hold W.

I'm kind of glad that I didn't read the description until after I already played the WAD, because it would have distorted my perception of what I was supposed to do, it became clear from the onset that you're not meant to fight anything at all, which became abundant to me when my first real time I actually spent trying to be methodical and killing things was with a bunch of pinkies, who I berserked about three of until a spider mastermind I'd previously run past teleported in, which largely cemented the fact you're not to fight anything, which is made very obvious by the fact there's a cyberdemon, a spider mastermind, and probably a couple other high tier monsters but you have basically no ammo, certainly none with any high tier weapons, and they give you an invulnerability early on which makes things a bit easier. 

If I have to analyse this map properly, it's actually a bit lackluster. Looks kind of bland, especially in the starting room, and as for 'run past everything' maps, this is an exceptionally easy one, for the aforementioned invulnerability, which probably lasts at least a third of the level, but despite all that, I still enjoyed it, perhaps for the exact reason that it is so short, so I guess it's a 6/10, good, but nothing more, and it's one of those maps you play once and then forget about, its most memorable feature was the fact that the elevators looked like they were made of recycled spoons.

Month 3 Day 31

No review for today. I died in the first wad  The Archives Are Doomed: Gold Edition! which was a gzdoom joke megawad. (Forgot to take screenshot)

Just now, Roofi said:

Month 3 Day 31

No review for today. I died in the first wad  The Archives Are Doomed: Gold Edition! which was a gzdoom joke megawad. (Forgot to take screenshot)

Shortest day ever. No Roofi reviews make me sad :(

7 minutes ago, Endless said:

Shortest day ever. No Roofi reviews make me sad :(

Not the shortest , I went pretty far in the wad but one map contains very powerful custom enemies. Funny wad though. :)

Day 3: Cave Dweller: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/cavedweller

Ignoring the fact they named this one after me, I can summarise this map by saying it looks good, but plays bad.

This time around, I did read the description first, in which I can spot an error, they said jumping is allowed, when what they meant to say was required, although at this point I don't think I've ever actually read someone acknowledge that they required it for some reason. In any case, the map itself has some decent visual variety and locations, a good mixture of indoor and outdoor areas, and a few standout individual areas, and some scripted sequence involving stuffing blowing up in front of you, in which the screen quakes so fiercely you'd think you're playing Duke Nukem, and now I think about it it's a bit peculiar that the one engine which has the most infamous effects for explosions is called the Build Engine of all things.

The levels look pretty good, and the combat's pretty good, even if there's a couple platforming sections that I don't like. Unless it's super precise, I'm not normally too bothered, but I think the fact I'm so unused to jumping means I don't really know how high it is which can make things a bit tougher, in particular, I think the increase in distance when you have a run-up is shorter than other id tech/Source games, but I'm willing to believe someone out there can mathematically prove I'm completely wrong about that. And, like all platforming sections, if you mess up, it's a very slow and awkward walk back to try again - as much as I didn't like Eternal's platforming sections, at least when you mess up you get to try again straight away.

I said the combat was good, but that's not always true, as it is ruined by one simple feature, invisible monsters, of which I think there were about 8, out of a total of about 220, and 8/220 is a small fraction, but when it includes a single room containing upwards of 4 invisible chaingunners, it affects my perception of the whole experience negatively. There are a few controversial statements that I'm willing to stand by, and this is one of them: Plutonia wasn't that good, Quake 2 isn't a glorified Carmack tech demo, The Irishman was boring, and invisible monsters, to quote another Scorsese film, suck big fucking elephant dicks. I remember Joel (a streamer who does a yearly community project, who peculiarly enough this author contributed to in 2018, one of 3 maps I found by him) played a version of Skeleton+ in Doom years ago, which I thought would be the one conceivable time when they would be a good design choice, but I went back and checked, they didn't even have it, so using this information I can assuredly say that invisible monsters have never been used to good effect, and this is no exception. Also, this map uses a cyberdemon who runs at archvile speed, who's not as tough as he sounds, but it's a bit different, although he's probably the one enemy who benefits the absolute least from a speed boost, especially when they give you plenty of room to dodge him.

This is a level I feel rather ambivalent about. Clearly, the mapper knows how to construct an area properly, and if he made his rooms bigger he'd have a great deathmatch map, but the gameplay is "eh", with the incidental moment where it's just foul. 5/10, invisible monsters are a gimmick (and a bad one), fast cyberdemon is a gimmick, but they're just thrown in, when it comes down to it this it's just another average map, only it looks better than average via its custom textures.

Screenshot_Doom_20210811_164131.png.c2d89d5db82fa10c8e39d7d71eb0ce4d.png Screenshot_Doom_20210811_163820.png.879139262d3bf2ebc975abec9f1434da.png

Edited by Sena

Ehy, i played Cave Dweller too when it was fresh of upload on idgames, i recalled it after i saw that emerald cave... Short and fun map, pretty enjoyable too!

Sure that i have played lots of maps posted here already, isn't?

Today my idgames adventures took me to two DooM 2 maps, both played with GZDoom, HMP Difficulty, DooM (strict) compat mode.

The first one is called "Slime Tunnels" a Doom 2 map from 1995 by Dave Hood. Replaces MAP04.

This one is a medium-to-small sized map, full of narrow and dark passages and nasty traps. It's is a bit though at first, due the lack of weapons/ammo and the narrow areas that makes difficult to maneuver and dodge monster projectiles, but after some trial and error taking the correct routes, the map gets a bit easier. The architecture is quite simple like lots of maps of the era, but with some nice sections, like the area around the yellow door near the blue key and some kind of "slime tank" area.

A nice map if you like dark areas and doing some trial and error. :P

Have some slime-free pics:

Spoiler

SLIMETUN-01.jpg.3b3cea51a7096f2238280bc429815286.jpg

The start point.

SLIMETUN-02.jpg.3d163f1a19ad9120f8dad100f9122149.jpg

Somebody, turn on the lights, please...

SLIMETUN-03.jpg.d3105367fa1d1d17dc298cee1ae636ec.jpg

The "slime tank"

SLIMETUN-04.jpg.f10333833c9052daaa6db31430483cfb.jpg

This area looks cool

SLIMETUN-05.jpg.4d5a38d8a81befc1aa0614c2fea2a8c4.jpg

Some cool secret area

SLIMETUN-06.jpg.19d747447b67288f48425a597b7848fb.jpg

The exit

The second one is called "Kohe 4" a Doom 2 map from 2007 by Ruba. Replaces MAP01

This map is a smol (less than small) sized one. Basically, you get a chaingun with some ammo and you have to run around dodging some, as the map author names them, "KaKoKa Balls" (maybe that's the japanese name of the Cacodemons? :P) using the chaingun to pain stun them, reach the keys and fight the "evil Genius" at the exit (heh). The map's architecture looks nice, using a techbase theme, but couldn't appreciate it too much since I spent all my time running around avoiding "KaKoKa Balls" attacks. There's nothing much left to comment, since the map can be completed in less than 2 minutes.

Here, have some pics and watch out with the "KaKoKa Balls"! :O

Spoiler

KOHE4-01.jpg.8956118134d9eea07598d42e9781274f.jpg

Near the start point, more or less...

KOHE4-02.jpg.1e9b7146088bcf8396fd768e646a59db.jpg

More red balls

KOHE4-03.jpg.0f8471b57cd28bcd0a618ccf958dcb46.jpg

And the exit, now that was quick. Behold the "evil Genius"!

Edited by LUISDooM

Day 4: Another Awsome DOOM PWAD (E2M2) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/a-c/aa22doom

Compared to yesterday's map, which I felt ambivalent about, I can assess this easily, it's a load of shit. The opening room sort of reminded me of E1's secret map, but don't let that deceive you, you shouldn't try and associate the quality map layouts of E1 with this utter mess, it almost feels like they're running down a checklist of bad things. It's got nothing worthwhile going on, which leaves me with little to say. It's completely plain and boring from a visual standpoint, and the gameplay is just as poor, even on UV the only possible time I was 'challenged', was first when I had to take leaps of faith into descending rooms above a toxic pool with no escape, and second when the scripting broke and I had to turn on noclip to leave a room. And I didn't have much motivation to turn it off, the actual progression of the level is a complete joke, it's very nice of them to decide that I should improve my cardio by running through the same shit maze 10 times, but if I wanted to actually do that, I'd go outside. There's no sense to it, and certainly no fun, there's nothing interesting about having to guess which of 6 doors is the one that actually opens after pushing a button, and despite not even getting all the keys, I still had 100% kills, which proves further that it's the typical bollocks level design that's just there to confuse you and waste your time. 1/10.

Stalker2 | By Chuck Jordan | 1994 | Played on Doom Retro | UV

qMkvRp5.pngpXHZig7.pngwMwGUqR.png

A bit of random exploration ended up throwing me into a DM WAD, and usually I don't play them because I'm like: ''Fuck, I don't have anyone to play them with'', but this time I decided to give it a shot, as I was struck by the fact that it was from 1994. And I'm not disappointed. While I'm not a technical expert on the qualities that make a good DM map, I can say that this doesn't look bad at all and seems to be a fun map for its time. The design is solid, peaceful and has some attractive visuals that work quite well to create that gothic-infernal atmosphere. Quite fun even if it's just to have duke it out with a few friends.

Hell Keep Remake | By @pcorf | 2007 | Played on Doom Retro | UV

hT5lRVi.pngmJj2QfP.pngtvnOKt3.png

A legendary and iconic map remastered by a legendary and iconic mapper. As the name suggests, it is an improved/changed version of the classic E3M1, with a more modernistic architecture style, solid design and an expanded layout that further explores the fortress of hell theme. The classic scenes can be clearly seen, as well as the improvements and changes that affect the map. The size is probably the easiest change to notice, as well as a slight increase in difficulty but still maintaining a balanced style. It looks pretty good from every point of view. The textures do a good job combined with the improved design. Now it really feels like one hell of a fortress. The map stays true, for the most part, to the original gameplay; it's quick to complete, with a few moments that are sure to catch newcomers off guard, and a good starter map. This remastering is not bad at all. A solid design that gives a solid result.

Area 49 | By Phillippe and Peter Anchondo | 1996 | Played on Doom Retro | UV

chTXwr8.pngYObFCyF.pnghzCpXgz.png

Another random map from the 90s that doesn't deserve further mention; it's not bad, but it's not good either. The map is, practically, square in its complete skeleton. The entire layout consists of boxes connected by paths, with only a few secret walls making a difference. There's no height variety, but hey, at least it's not one of those super lost, cryptic and painful WADs that make us crawl through dead ends for hours. One reviewer, a believer in the cause, sums it up perfectly:

Doom is sort of like sex. When it's good, it's wonderful, but when it's bad, it's still pretty good. As such... just about any Doom is good Doom, but this one is so easy that it's kind of ridiculous.

Amen.

Cave Dweller (2021) by ejboogy

Play Settings

Source Port: gzdoom

Didn’t like this as much as I thought I would based on a stellar introduction. It’s way too gzdoom-y for my taste, with mandatory jump platforming and translucent chaingunners being just a couple examples of things that can fuck right off. It’s also a bit health- and ammo-starved on UV; I found the fight with an Arch-Vile surrounded by shotgunners absolutely infuriating, and I think even a plasma rifle would have helped it go down a lot smoother.

But overall, Cave Dweller is a pretty map that does a good job committing to a central Gothic aesthetic and doesn’t overstay its welcome too much. Definitely rises above base competence (which itself is pretty good for the ER/iWA) and I look forward to more work by the author but I don’t have much to say about this one and I’m not sure I’ll remember it too well by the time the next Random Adventure rolls around. This is a lot of words to say: it’s fine.

Grade: 5/10

I5ALxx0.png4gRzLal.png

Day 5: The Arch-vile Compressor https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/archcomp

Does this really get to be called a level? You get 211 archviles, 1-archvile wide hallways, no weapons, only a crusher to deal with them, and not even a good one, had a berserk been put in the level, I would probably have found that to be a more reliable killing method, the crusher's tiny and completely unreliable to get them in, fun was not a consideration when this was made, it's basically on the same level as Revenant Bus, which I'm sure has at least 2 fans, but I am not one of them. It's not really a Doom level as much as it is just a test of patience and boredom, you can't play this first person shooter by shooting things, the demo shows the only actual way is to bump the archvile, lead them on a long trek to the crusher, and then repeat that 210 times. It's a test of patience, and my ADHD ass has to forfeit immediately. 1/10.

Today I got a great map for DooM 2. Idgames RNG was really good with me! XD 

As always, it was played with GZdoom, HMP difficulty and Doom (strict) compat mode.

The map is called "Breeze ( As in ' It's a breeze ! ' )" from, while the page says 2004, the file date of the wad says 8/25/1995 (that day my 8th birthday, yay! :O). Oh, and it was made by Brad Kiefer.

Being initially a Heretic map converted to Doom 2, this one is a big and varied map, something like a dark castle, that covers lots of themes, ranging from stone to metal and wood among others, blending between them pretty well. This map also has lots of exploration, you'll end having some switch hunts to progress, some of them are behind sectret walls, not hard to spot for the trained eye. 

The architecture is varied and, despite having the usual square-y rooms, some stuck monsters, unnaligned textures and some weird design choices here and there (like a scrolling Hitler texture in one room and WolfensteinSS on there), It manages to keep being interesting all the way.

Given the big amount of powerups (mostly Megaspheres), ammo pickups and having almost all the weapons halfway the map, it literally became a "breeze" to go around it, I think having less of it would've made some of later fights more interesting, but since I've played it on HMP, maybe I'm talking too soon.

Despite having some flaws, this is a pretty enjoyable map, a lil gem from '95 IMO

That's all.

Are you still there? Okay, have some screenshots. XD

Spoiler

BREEZE-01.jpg.4d869666e857be0774eb26c4e73434d4.jpg

The startpoint

BREEZE-02.jpg.599bb1381f2a629a1f3efd606bebc380.jpg

A corpse maze with unreachable Megaspheres

BREEZE-03.jpg.d3b954b7d6a8be61365e1faaf66c7473.jpg

A nice tunnel

BREEZE-04.jpg.b80b7e8ebc7b3118fc588860079ea524.jpg

BREEZE-05.jpg.e19758916d8937a5f11d4490620889b3.jpg

BREEZE-06.jpg.5ffd3de03c12c25f6c39484f524a056c.jpg

The evil moustache man room.

BREEZE-07.jpg.737d93d6018df872e4dcab7c1a35b9a6.jpg

a cool wood hall

Month 4 Day 01

File 1) SPACE.WAD by Chris Badger (1994)

Spoiler

SPACE1.pngSPACE2.pngSPACE3.png

DeathMatch on a mini Space Station!

A quite unusual space-themed DM wad with its inevitable starry sky. This map also has pretty cool texture usages like the glass windows despite being buggy due to the fact they are actually blinking. I also enjoyed the extended use of the blue and brown "COMPOHSO" texture.

Besides that , the layout is pretty mediocre due to its squareness and its crampedness at some parts. Also, most of the items are centralized in a huge empty silver room.

File 2) DoomStart95 Ver1.5 by Karl Gardner (1996)

DoomStart95 is for use on systems running Windows95 only !

DoomStart95 is a Front end for multiplayer games.

Suport for: Normal,Modem, Null Modem and Network Play

Sorry Karl Gardner but I have windows 10.

Dead in a corridor full of lava in HSH53.wad

Spoiler

c8DOOM0004.png

Day 6: Object "32" https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/0-9/32

This level is probably okay. I wouldn't know, barely got to play it properly. I'd like to think I'm at least a vaguely intelligent person, I managed to survive the first 2 years of my life by not letting the intrigue surrounding what will happen when I shove a metal fork into an electrical socket get the better of me, but despite that, navigation is not something that comes natural to me. I suppose I should get it out of the way, the music, an OGG that vaguely reminds me of the Modern Warfare 2 soundtrack, is way too in your face, I wouldn't want music this intense if I was playing Nuts, I suppose maybe I should be grateful that there's custom music at all, given just how many times I've had to listen to underhalls by this point, but really, this music is just far too intense for the kind of level design I ended up seeing, I'm just walking around plinking zombiemen and riding elevators, I really don't need to hear something that sounds like the soundtrack to the entirety of Phobos exploding right this very second. As for the level design, I did basically just summarise it, walking around, mostly just dealing with low tier enemies, and riding far more elevators per square mile than anyone should reasonably be having to deal with. And by this point, I feel like I'm pretty good at locating switches and doors and using them to walk forwards, but it only took about 5 minutes for me to get completely lost and with no idea what to do, maybe the scripting broke, maybe it's shit level design that makes no sense, probably both. So instead of leaving immediately, I opened the yellow door early, and found a passable open slaughter-ish arena, so I guess it's got at least something waiting for me, although it felt pretty bland, if Oblige could let you select a year - you choose 1995, and you get a map that contains 90% shotgunners, and random cyberdemons who you can just completely ignore, and you choose 2015 and you get revenants up the arse, then this feels like a 2015 Oblige map, with all that entails. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it's a vaguely okay map, with some decent points here and there, but poor choice of music and a proper sense of direction. 4/10.

Blister 21: Halls of Blood | By Kurt Dillard | 1995 | Played on Doom Retro | UV

qRcEHQO.pngidZ9IkG.pngRLAjVpS.png

This was quite the odd find. A DM level with a very pumping .txt:

It's nuts! You'll hate me if you download this level! Its
                          too hard. Nobody should have to play it. But you will.
                          Again and a again, you'll comeback because of its simplicity,
                          its elegance, and its beauty.

Heh, I gotta disagree there bud. This is a dedicated WAD for DM games. The creator seemed to be quite enthusiastic about his creation, speaking highly of it and giving it a certain dreamlike air. I have to admit that many times reading the .txt of WADs from the 90s is more fun than the WADs themselves. This might be one of those cases. If this were a WAD for SP, it would be much better, but I think it fails badly in terms of the essence of the DM. The map has too much verticality, the paths are not connected in a fluid way and are tightly packed, giving little breathing air. Not to mention that the weapons are mostly hidden. On the other hand, it's not all bad. This WAD looks pretty good. It's incredibly detailed for being from the 90s, and for a WAD. While it suffers quite a bit from its cryptic layout, I have to say it's worth it if only to turn it on to see the sweet detail it's given. It's not Gothic (that one at least is fun) but wow it doesn't look bad at all.

Shoot! | By @Chris Hansen | 2008 | Played on Doom Retro | UV

pa39k7d.png

Shoot! is a fantastical single-map WAD created by the awesome Chris Hansen. If you haven't checked out his prolific career, he's quite the master at creating fun, fast and frenetic little maps! This one is not the exception. The level has a very attractive flow and follows a constant gameplay scheme. The action never lets up and remains stable thanks to a thoughtful attention to detail and a good synergy between enemy positioning and level development. The map can be considered as medium-small; the layout is complex and quite deep, but once the first key is obtained, it opens up relatively to give way to progression. It is quite fast in that sense and manages to keep the player's attention. And let's not forget the visuals. The detail is modest, and the use of vanilla textures is incredibly well done. It's neither too in your face, nor is it boring, a nice balance that manages to hit me in the face with some good-natured goodness. The difficulty is slightly higher than what you'd find in, say, Doom, but it doesn't feel boring at any point. I can only say that this is another great hit created by a hit mapper. Not bad at all. I recommend it. Fun and fast, and best of all, if you're a Metallica fan, you'll appreciate it even more.

Eym3pwc.pnguvRRmFh.pngspi3vcU.png

Edited by Endless

This is my yesterday's attempt at playing five random WADs, I am using GZDoom.

VENOM by Ola Bjorling (1998) - Doom 2 (MAP01)

venom1.jpg.3440a10daad82efddeec9792b43fc106.jpgvenom2.jpg.bae5ab3770dca3188d3fa08b3ef1e460.jpgvenom3.jpg.9aef2b9b7ade242c4ac52aad94a179d2.jpg

I don't remember if I have played this before, but the author is well known and I recognize his style. This is a short Doom 2 map, with very nice architecture, consistent texture usage but very tight spaces which makes it harder to navigate and avoid some enemies. But generally it was quite ok to play, most fights are not hard and there is an invulerability sphere in a tight room with a trap with lot's of dangerous monsters. I liked the circular area with the central hub and the doors around and the hexagonal area where you open walls and new monsters appear. Good short fun for few minutes.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/v-z/venom

Doom Must Fall (Single Player Version) (2000) - Doom 1 (E1M1)

dmf1.jpg.bb0f80f2c55ab669c3ce6f894fa657c1.jpgdmf2.jpg.7209c3a2cb769e7d307f57f2673a763e.jpgdmf3.jpg.d8fc6916e654551906befa6ae75f6aff.jpg

Something obscure and grotesque for my second random pic finally! I was playing this (or trying to) and was like wtf all the time. This is supposed to be a tribute to the epic megagames beat em up One Must Fall 2097. A lot of things, textures and sprites have been replaced here, into something with garish colors. Some rooms are weird, others are interesting in design but very tedious, like few sections with elevating stairs. One of these sections says "Endurance Training" and it really was an endurance in frustration, as it was a tedious going up through moving platforms with enemies shooting above. The confusion happened with lot's of robot enemies which are supposed to replace the imps, the barons, the hitscanners, but you don't know which is what at first, so I kept dying a lot. Meanwhile, the dehacked patch is changing a lot of stuff, for example the rocket launcher is shooting very very slow mines now, so it was usually against some fights with the baron replacing enemies, and since this is Doom 1, I had to use the shotgun equivalent weapon in those tight spaces. I got a bit into trouble because of my shooting not registering with the enemies that replace the lost souls, but that's why the sprite heights have changed and I also had aiming disabled in GZDoom (as I play with mouselook and don't want to aim a baron but my shoot autoaiming a caco for example).

There are many more weird things in this WAD. Some mine like objects are hanging all over the place, which you can shoot and they explode, but later I realized you can also pick them up and they are armor/health bonuses (some dehacked magic to achieve this?). In the final boss room, you encounter a surreal view with some chess pieces that you can also shoot but they don't die and they don't bother you anyway. It's an interesting mediocre random find to me, some of the textures and enemies could be repurposed for better maps in the future maybe. Thank god it was just one map and it finished, although I still found it interesting to go through the whole of it.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/themes/omf/dmf-sp

Spdgr2 (2007) - Doom 1 (E3M8)

spdgr2.jpg.6a40b7f8ed4adda8aab700b8bf32a54c.jpg

This is a very short random pic and very easy to finish, it's a replacement for the spiderboss final level and it's nothing special. At first it seems like you have no place to hide except behind two columns and there are only rocket launcher and ammo but now shield. There is also some health and soul sphere. Thank god for the imps in the ledges that start infighting with the boss else you would be toast. Especially if in search for armor or other weapons you do the mistake to press use on the two big pillars. This results on them slowly descending but there is nothing on top of them so you now lost the only cover. Pointless, or maybe a troll.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/s-u/spdgr2

Brains! Part 1: The Beginning (2004) - Doom 2 (MAP01)

brains1.jpg.fc6879e599274057080d223417fab2bc.jpgbrains2.jpg.70c5ce7deaf2ac831576196f5b546fdd.jpgbrains3.jpg.0a57c4d2777d93e81b19a4c6e8a94267.jpg

A ZDoom only short map with a zombie theme. It was actually weird but fun to play. There are very few ammo at first, but your melee, chainsaw or berserk pack will do the trick too. Some of the zombies will arise again after killed. I don't know if you can ever gib them to make them stop. Much later you get also the shotgun which has a cool sound. It was fun to go through it, it has some ZDoom features like fog at some places and music that does well to the zombie atmosphere, an underwater section with zombies, a final micro labirynth with vines and tight passages with zombies and that's it. At first I was confused by some doors not opening but they automatically open when going very close to the door just like Quake (but I was pressing use half an inch before the linedef :P). Also, the enemies are screaming "Brains!!!" in various pitches which makes it quite funny. It's not a special WAD, would need more polish or could be a good fun with more maps, but it was still nice to play.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/brains1

Hard (1996) - Doom 2 (MAP01)

hard1.jpg.e7210c3567758c5761d4d07c0ff5c03c.jpghard2.jpg.e14dfd861002cfddfb25e01f9ddcc530.jpghard3.jpg.b8aa84106809286041a96d262214bbef.jpg

For the last in the five I got something oldschool finally. A very squary map with various open places and not as hard as it says, however starting with pistol you seek around trying to find weapons while attacked by hoard of imps and few revenants and mancubi. The strategy is to make them infight and avoid till you get some good equipment. A bit later, there are few nice traps like the walls that open to reveal a cage with imps behind, something that I thought I could manage since imps are easy, but got me twice with imps throwing stuff at me from all places. I thought I could take them from inside with the shotgun or SSG or from outside the door with chaingun short bursts, but I kept dying for some reason as I also didn't have armour. There is a secret where you can get the rocket launcher which might help to kill some of them pretty fast. And some green armour in the other side. An improved version of this map according to the comments is actually included in a megawad called Realm of Chaos which I don't think I've played and this raised my interest to play that one as I like oldschool minimalistic maps of this kind sometimes. This one was still short and fun, nothing special, but I enjoyed finishing it.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/g-i/hard

And that concludes my attempt to randomly play five WADs. I made a video of all the playthroughs in my channel.

Month 4 Day 02

File 1) Lep2.wad by Terry Vessels (1998)

Spoiler

LEP25.pngLEP26.pngLEP27.pngLEP28.pngLEP21.pngLEP22.pngLEP23.pngLEP24.png

small, simple wad for dm and practice added a shotgun at each dm start point to end the camping at the center.

A file which contains 3 multiplayer-oriented maps separated in 3 different wads (LEPCO1 , LEPCO2 , LEP2) which can also be played on singleplayer. All of them consist to an abstract entirely marbled complex full of enemies. LEPCO1 and 2 are coop-oriented levels with many rooms to explore but you have to find all the hidden doors (Look on your automap !). LEP2 is just a mediocre flat symetrical arena you can also find in LEPCO1.

For some reasons, despite the extremely rudimentary aesthetics, I really enjoyed discovering all the hidden rooms and killing all monsters which often come in groups. Also, LEPCO2 plays as a regular singeplayer oriented level with a red key to find. However, you can reach the exit at the beginning if you don't want to explore all the optional areas in LEPCO1.

Mediocre but appreciable Terry wad from the 90'.

File 2) STONEHNG.WAD by Aron "Darkwing" Kerkhof (1999)

Spoiler

STONHNG3.pngSTONHNG2.pngSTONHNG1.png

A deathmatch wad designed around the mystical Stone Henge rock formation. Also second in the NOCHEAP! series. It continues the "bacta tank" theme. More on this below...

A very cool recreation of one of the most famous and mysterious stone monument. A Bfg is partially hidden at the center of the map, you have to quickly press two switches to get it. Aesthetics look very decent and I particularly enjoyed the addition of stained-glass windows textures. Nirvana's "Rape me" music and the new custom music will maybe improve your amusement on this map.

File 3) Urban Escape by James "@Phobus" Crosswell (2014)

Spoiler

Uescape1.pngUescape2.png

A 3.5-hour speed map for WildWeasel's birthday which takes you out a "fire escape", let's you leap off of a roof, fight it out in a street segment and then back indoors to an exit. Pretty linear and easy, but that's speed mapping for you!

Yeah, I already played this map in Month 2 Day 28.

So I gave a second go. I have to say the part when you jump into the streets is still quite tough even if you know the level. The arachnotron and the hitscanners can quickly kill you if you don't get rid of them because of the absence of armor. I almost died the first time and it happened again the second time.

Anyway, to complete my past review, I like how Phobus created some unreachable parts , like the exit door which can be seen before you fight in the streets or also the gridded doors near the end for instance. It contributes to make the level more immersive. 

File 4) Jason's Dehacked patch (v1.01b) by Jason Gorski (1994)

Changes: ..... ALOT! And I'm not going to tell you unless you try it.

I'm don't know what the dehacked is supposed to change and the description doesn't help me. Also, I'm not sure it work and I don't care.

File 5) MagEwaD [Version 1.2] {Nice number} by Matej "Mages" Zary

Spoiler

Mages7.pngMages6.pngMages5.pngMages4.pngMages3.pngMages2.pngMages1.png

Three levels for doom ][. Architecture, lights, fun.

A set of three simple and easy levels. I really liked it for its simplicity. Levels don't have a lot of details but the author use the textures and create light gradients pretty well. Also you can explore various themes like a small "village" on an island , a mine... with a very classic style.

You have to find the three colored keys in a determined order in each level. Despite that, all maps are not really complex and can each of them can be finished in under 10 minutes. About difficulty , everyone can beat those levels without problem on UV. There are some traps but they just help to keep you awake instead of being deadly. The toughest monster you can meet is a lone arch-vile at the end of the last level. Also, you can find several generous secrets which give you powerful items like blue armors or soulspheres and even a megasphere at the end of map 03 !

A pretty good find.

I fell in a stupid deadly pit , in a random DM map from the megawad dm2dth3.zip

Spoiler

c0DOOM0005.png

On 8/14/2021 at 9:48 AM, Roofi said:

SPACE.WAD by Chris Badger

I'm agree with Roofi, not a great map but some stuff like the "force field" glass hallway and that crate room with space marines locked in their capsules it's neat. Played ages ago but i still remember it...