Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

[v1.0.0] Vesper - MBF21 Showcase Mod

Slightly-belated response, but: thanks for the kind words! Glad you had fun with it. I'm slowly tinkering with some things behind-the-scenes, so more updates n' such will come before too long.

Regarding the Foehammer, try it out on a closely-clustered group of enemies -- the shockwaves pierce through enemies, which is a nice extra trick that the Blunderbuss doesn't do. Only works at very close ranges, though, so try not to snipe with it. :P

And yup, the axe is affected by 'roids. Might be a bit OP in some maps, but the whole vanilla doom dynamic of berserk obsoleting the chainsaw always felt a bit "meh" to me, so I went for the crazy solution. That and since the Foehammer is such a beast at point-blank range means that I kinda had to crank up the damage in order to not make it immediately irrelevant. :P

Cheers for the response dude, glad to hear you're still tinkerin' away on this thing! :)

Managed to play with it some more over the weekend, and now that I'm a tad more familiar with the weapon nuances and actually played some more modern maps, the whole thing is really starting to click for me! Played some assorted maps from Valiant, UAC Ultra, Lunatic, Nihility: Infinite Teeth, Vaporwave demo and Auger;Zenith with the Eternity Engine and had no glaring issues. Just wondering - is it possible to run Vesper with Heartland at all?

Definitely warming up to the Foehammer, I find it to be my go-to choice for heavies (if I have it!) when super-duper close. I've definitely subconsciously noticed the piercing shockwave trait, but it didn't twig with me that it had enemy penetration until you mentioned it! Good to know, haha!

Makes sense for the 'roids to affect the axe, gameplay balance aside, it makes sense as it's still a "true" melee, unlike the chainsaw. Although something about the swing of the axe feels a touch off to me, sometimes I have issues smackin' Pinkies / Spectres around with it, but that could just be me being bad at the game though!

Regarding the Nox Launcher, I absolutely dig the weapon overall, but sometimes it's kinda hard to gauge the damaging radius of the poison cloud. Again could just be me being bad at the game, hahaha!

Still haven't really used the Vile-Driver either, need to "IDKFA" or something at some point. Or just actually find it organically! Lol!

Are there any other mapsets you'd recommend running Vesper with? Stuff that you tested the mod with or anything like that?

Edited by Fabricator : Typos again! Arrrgh, haha! :P

Don't know where the Shotgun reload sound came from but it's now a serious contender for the Doom 3 Plasma Rifle reload sound. This is unbelievably awesome work! 

Still blastin' away with this thing, still havin' a ton of fun!

In the wadinfo.txt on the GitHub page, you mention compatibility patches for certain WADs (namely BTSX and Ancient Aliens) being something that's in the works. Are these patches purely for WADs with a custom palette? Dunno if this is the right place to bring it up or if it's worth bumping the actual project thread itself, but it'd be pretty dope to see "Dimension of the Boomed" added to that compatibility patch list! :)

Unless there's a guide / tutorial with relevant information, in which case I'll give making the patch a crack myself!

Yup, sure is! Just updated the OP with a couple more supported source ports -- the list is growin' :D

Speaking of growth (heh), there's been some progress on a new update; just been a bit slow 'cause I'm me. :P -- tl;dr, turns out the mod accidentally works well in deathmatch and there's been some gears turning on some cool new multiplayer-focused things in Odamex-land, so stay tuned for that. :D

Starts to fiddle with MBF21 ends with a cool mod and now an update for multiplayer. Typical Xaser's moment :)

anyway congratulations for where the mod arrived and can't wait for the update :)

I decided on a whim to combine Vesper with Struggle - Antaresian Legacy.

Holy-Moly, what a good combo it is!

Not only DehExtra perfectly works with Struggle's extensive Dehacked modifications, but even color palette matches very well!

I also accidentally discovered a bug: it seems that Vesper arsenal does not override standard ammo types for weapons. In more noramml wads, this is not a bif deal. However, Struggle's BFG replacement is made to use rockets instead of plasma. Thus, when combined with Struggle WAD, Vepser's slot 7 Vile Driver starts using Nox Grenades instead of Ichor Tanks. This didn't stop me from winning BFG-focused map 27 (Nox Launcher FTW!), but it is still a bug.

Thanks for the play! Glad to hear it's mostly playable despite the DEH changes in both (hells yeah DEHEXTRA!), and I guess the palette does kinda fit in a blue-themed wad. :P

I'll have to think a bit about how to fix the ammo issue though. DEHACKED tools (including DECOHack) won't write out something to the patch if it's unchanged from Doom's default, so I'm not sure how to add an ammotype override without manually hacking it into the patch (i.e. adding some sort of post-build-step after DECOHack runs, which I'm loath to do). May bring it up to MTrop since we've got a use case for wanting to do that now.

Hey, just dropping by to say this mod grabbed me with both hands and made me take a look at a few different ports other than good ol' GZDoom and the like! I'm kinda bad when playing with it, but it's still a whole lot of fun even if I find I keep running out of ammo sooner than I imagine (I have the same issue with Struggle as well).

I put GZDoom's MBF21 support to good use last Saturday and uploaded a small showcase of its weapons, which you can see here:

Now, I'm not gonna act like it's a bug report since I was playing the mod on a port that it wasn't quite designed for, but the Vile Driver's sound is cut off in GZDoom 4.10, at least on its standard gameplay settings. Do you know if this could be fixed by setting it to limit removing?

Thanks for the showcase! Glad it's scratching the itch :D

The sound issue ought to be fixable -- seems familiar, maybe I fixed it and just haven't uploaded an update? Either way I'll check it out (when I get some free time, welp) -- thanks for the report!

You're welcome, I've been playing it with both DSDA-Doom and Doom Retro and it just opens up some very different possibilities. As for the report, glad to help!

Hey, it's me again, doing the unthinkable and pairing Vesper with what I'm pretty sure is a slaughter WAD. Turns out it's deceptively good for those given the nox launcher's damage over time and increased projectile/splash damage!

Finally! A reason to use a MBF21 sourceport!

Seriously, this is amazing. I would kill hundreds, if it meant to see more MBF21 gameplay mods like this show up in these forums.

Hey, just dropping by to say there seems to be some issues with the latest version of Vesper when played in DSDA-Doom 0.27.5. Namely, sometimes weapon switching is instant and dying doesn't cause the weapon to call its A_Lower state fully, somehow. They're not gamebreaking bugs or anything, but it is kinda odd that it's happening in this version.

You can see the former happen in this video a few times, but it does happen even without any other WADs present.

Thanks for the report, sorry for the quick drive-by comment -- was posting from my phone in between Life Things(tm). :P

Don't worry about it, it's perfectly understandable! In fact, I figured out what causes this issue already: the new weapon alignment option. Leaving it off or horizontal doesn't change anything, so it's not a big deal. I only noticed it with Vesper so far, but it could happen with anything that has a lot of frames for weapons maybe.

I'll post this in DSDA-Doom's thread once I find it. :P