Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

[Release] 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐒 - GZDoom map for Realms Deep 2021

Damn

That's a good one

First, the visuals, between green and purple, gives a very cool atmosphere, and the monsters went along with the color palette very well.

The midi was at the end a bit redondant.

For the gameplay, exploration is the main attraction, since there is only rarely some nasty fights.

I had some trouble finding the last gem, but that's just my fault.

The custom weapons were nice, but the BFG replacement felt a bit weak.

And there was one thing I didn't get, at some point, we can see a guy holding a SSG. He didn't gave it to me, no matter how much i've bonked him, I tried to shoot him, I saw he was bleeding, so I kept shooting, and at some point, he disappeared, leaving no SSG and opening a door. What just happened here?

Overall a very good map.

3 hours ago, Guilhem Saint-Gaudin said:

I kept shooting, and at some point, he disappeared

Oh shit. You should definitely not be able to kill him. He's meant to be a static, useable decoration. You grab the SSG by pressing "use" against him, which gives you the weapon and opens the door to the next room.

RC2 will address the problem here - I recently dropped the +SHOOTABLE flag from him so he doesn't eat up your ammo and this should remove the side effect of being able to completely destroy him. Whoops!

On 8/19/2021 at 11:00 AM, game said:

Genuinely asking. I didn't know what those "cool features" are exactly. But on the example of Heartland for The Eternity Engine you can see that it's possible to have such cool features without pseudo-Doom gameplay.

3d models, 3d geometry/3d floors, zscript, slopes, polyobjects, ... the list goes on and on

-----

this map looks interesting, I am sure it will be very inspiring... especially the encounters, its an area I really need to work on in my own maps

Such an amazing adventure. There were several moments were I had to detour just to enjoy the exploration (6/10 secrets found), but

most of the times it was easy to backtrack or take alternative lifts/paths. It was a very interesting hour (approx), one of my favourite maps

of the year for sure, tasteful work.

@SilverMiner Well done, lol. You can actually break the map even quicker with a well-coordinated straferun from that high walkway surrounding the sun pillars, and then you can RJ pretty easily into the cave after going through the first wooden door by the body pile.

Guess there's not much I can do about a RJ-based skip like that aside from disable freelook outright, which I don't really want to do.

Finally got around to playing this, and I have to say, what a fantastic map!

image.png.d996cf0cfd93afb5fd61fad48266da38.png

For me the standout part of this was the music - it was really enjoyable to listen to throughout, never got tiring and suited the map perfectly. The gameplay here is stellar, coupled with the new sprites and sounds and minor changes to the enemy and weapon behaviors, it feels fresh and enjoyable while remaining very familiar. The secrets were enjoyable to hunt for (I found a decent potion of them, including the realms deep/pyrocannon one).

The only issue I found was the ability to bypass the 3-key-fight by doing an SR50 from this point to the bridge:

da6c4d09d96f53f79ab059a538f2abcf.jpg

All in all, a fantastic release!

Thank you for allowing us to play this beautiful atmospheric map with an epic 8-minute song and lots of original content. I haven't got to the end yet because it's a pretty long map but I'm attaching below an abstract fan-art cover edit that I made for "Nameless".

Spoiler

kBieek9.jpg

Bump.

I've been sitting on a whole bunch of changes to the map/resource that I hadn't yet committed, so I'm putting out an "RC2" version of this map that is probably /idgames release ready, short of any major problems still to be found.

Download "Nameless" RC2 (2.9MB):

RC2

Changes:

- All DEHACKED work has been translated to DECORATE.

- Pyrocannon behavior overhauled. It looks way cooler now and is quite a bit more powerful, even against cyberdemons and masterminds.

- Certain skips have been addressed.

- A new monster now appears only on Nightmare! difficulty.

- Nightmare! difficulty now only multiples ammo by 1.5x.

- A fair number of scripted monster ambushes now occur at key events.

- New water flats and textures by @Fuzzball!

- The boat in the starting area now floats to the shoreline. Thanks to @aletheos eberlain for help with that!

- Dynamic lights have been updated for all appropriate entities to account for the new palette and/or their new appearance.

- Miscellaneous quality-of-life improvements to both the map and resource.

Edited by Jimmy

image.png.2d766f8d85bf41db7574a9f57935311f.png

Dis Innsmuthian architecture, man. Would make good ol' papa Sandy proud.

Amazing work and, as a lifelong Lovecraft aficionado, pretty much a sure hit with me. Quite a challenge even on HMP, some bullet hell moments but nothing unfair. If I reeeeeally had to level some complaint (and I'm omega nitpicking, mind you)... given the atmosphere and the overall amazing DECORATE job, the humble humans and sarges feel a bit... out of place? would be prime targets for a reskin.

Oh, and no zombieman upper body + BoH legs = Wilbur Whateley. Now, that's a missed opportunity.

Solid map, I played on UV and while I died a few times, I didn't encounter any parts which seemed to be unfair. I only got momentarily stuck at one point - I didn't immediately know what the switch to let me get at the actual switch which allowed me to get the Red Demon Mask did, but that was just a slight blip.

I like the BFG replacement, it feels suitably strong and dangerous. Too bad there's only a limited opportunity to use it.

I found 11/12 secrets. The one I missed didn't have an Item for the Items count inside.

lol, I was actually waiting to play this map until a newer version came out. I've learned my lesson though since I've mentioned your subsequent maps in the newstuff guide.

Took a few attempts with the last area contributing the most to my death count (those Cacodemon replacements were brutal). I have no complaints with your weapon and enemy replacements. I do believe you could have gotten more mileage with the chaingunner replacement. That thing was incredibly dangerous. Overall a good map that gave quite a good challenge at times.

On 1/27/2022 at 3:44 PM, thescarecrowbb said:

I keep getting an error when trying to extract the wad.

Why did you make a post about an error you were getting and then not include the error

Really nice looking map @Jimmy with swapped out weps/mobs. Started a UV blind run, got as far as purple mask and a few doors/lifts before I woke up too much stuff and perished :) Seems a bit light on the ammo given, but that's probably b/c it was my first run and didn't path well. Health always seemed to be just in reach when I needed it but with all the monsters you can wake up I still feel the ammo's light. O/c I could savescum, but that's not my style^^

I'll be sure to play to completion when I have time (man it's huge lol)

Cheers !

Edit: I used the Google Drive link, worked fine.

Really impressive, the level of customization for a single map is impressive!

I have yet to finish it myself, maybe 50% trough, but I am blown away!