Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Arlene

T H E D E E P // GZDOOM // FINAL [Realms Deep Map Jam 2021]

That's some pretty gay shit right there! 🏳‍🌈

Love it. Will play this later today.

EDIT: wow geez the forum software doesn't like the pride flag. cancel doomworld imho

Gorgeous work, Arlene. I adore the glowy, RGB aesthetic and the combat wasn't as insane as I expected it to be. I found a couple of little issues that you'll spot in my footage, but otherwise I had a jolly good time. :^)

Literally says it in the first post.

6 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

This map uses Supercharge 2.8

So uh, don't try to load anything else on top of it.

5 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

the colors, duke, the colors!

Even so many years later, the part from that commercial keeps popping into my brain. :P

Major Arlene Map thread?

Major Arlene Map thread.

Intensely colorful, it harbors back to Technicolor - And i can tell that Arlene has made a style of her own here. You know you are a crafty mapper when you are recognizable by style.

3 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Major Arlene Map thread?

Major Arlene Map thread.

Intensely colorful, it harbors back to Technicolor - And i can tell that Arlene has made a style of her own here. You know you are a crafty mapper when you are recognizable by style.

So... lots of lazy rocks and a shitload of color, then :P 

3 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

So... lots of lazy rocks and a shitload of color, then :P 

If it works, it works! Authors have become legendary on a lot stranger occassions.

Just don't try to mix The Blessed Engine with your broad color palette. I can imagine things would go wrong :P

Also gets a thumbs up for the idea - A map dedication to Realms Deep (Which is just an amazing event even amongst gaming events, dedicated to the FPS) fits perfectly with Doom.

10/10 Would interdimensional Rubik's Cube again, I quite enjoyed the wireframe subtheme as well.

It kinda puzzled me that Supercharge's pistol and fist are missing but in spite of that, you nailed it as usual :D

48 minutes ago, Regular Warren said:

10/10 Would interdimensional Rubik's Cube again, I quite enjoyed the wireframe subtheme as well.

It kinda puzzled me that Supercharge's pistol and fist are missing but in spite of that, you nailed it as usual :D

oh huh, that is strange. I had double definitions during development and I guess in my rush I didn't double check everything. sadge.

well now!!! much like T.A.B. this is exactly the kind of map that isn't usually my vibe - i'm not super into supercharge (it is excellent! just not my speed) and this combat density usually don't do it for me - but much like T.A.B., this does! i've long grown out of my sweet tooth but still get hankerings every now and again, and this kind of fills that void in a way most other maps of this intensity wouldn't. there's a sense of fun and levity to it all that doesn't come with a lot of the more intense and aggressive stuff, and i appreciate that a lot. great fun!

the architecture is a delight and the inclusion of foliage and rocky areas is very much my thing! it does obliterate my comp a bit in larger areas (that's mostly on the piledriver cpu rather than the 2060, i'm thinking) but never got to the point of unplayability.

if i have one minor gripe it's aesthetic, and it's that the rainbows are the typical fully saturated ROYGBIV rainbow that leans primary/secondary - i feel like the vibe would really be elevated by offsetting those colors a little bit! lean the red a little light pink, the orange a little tangerine, green a little chartreuse - i'm sure you get where i'm coming from.

great stuff!!!

I just finished playing your map, some feedback:

Spoiler

image.png.de5477b513d83351fca57ebfc4915b81.png

This jumppad could use pushing you in the direction you're meant to go, it took me a few tries due to wonky air control.

Spoiler

image.png.905c0d85d787169f93d504c9ba97dbad.png

Switch here shows no feedback on activating when shot.

Spoiler

image.png.a1753738e188e9c41a63de540010ca8f.png

Misalignment D:

Spoiler

image.png.466d1d9318442a23f55ad5db1eb72bd2.png

These bars rise up again after going back in to the room with cybruisers. Doesn't lower again when shooting the switch.

Spoiler

image.png.23d6483cbbdc6b839d709a1d6884eb65.png

Spoiler

Found the realms deep secret! I was expecting it to be very well hidden but nope. On that note, the area across it doesn't teleport you back so you're stuck :)

Also, I actually went back to the yellow skull area because I think the intended progression from finding the secret is that way. I'm stuck, none of the doors open.

Actually, nevermind the above. If you go back in the white room from there by accident then you are stuck because they lock you again but the switch won't work this time.

Oh forgot to add, I enjoyed the map. It's fast and straightforward. I think ammo was way too much, was basically max ammo all the time.

27 minutes ago, IvanDobrovski said:

I just finished playing your map, some feedback:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Hide contents

Found the realms deep secret! I was expecting it to be very well hidden but nope. On that note, the area across it doesn't teleport you back so you're stuck :)

Also, I actually went back to the yellow skull area because I think the intended progression from finding the secret is that way. I'm stuck, none of the doors open.

Actually, nevermind the above. If you go back in the white room from there by accident then you are stuck because they lock you again but the switch won't work this time.

Oh forgot to add, I enjoyed the map. It's fast and straightforward. I think ammo was way too much, was basically max ammo all the time.

Thanks so much for all the feedback! I was in a huge rush to finish this so I had a feeling some shit got broken. Will be fixed in the next version :D

Your motto should be "Taste the Rainbow, motherfucker!!!"

Need to play the map soon though...

Spoiler

deepfail.jpg.5cba0e205099e7694994b41e956a327f.jpgdeepfail2.jpg.589adf5fb04bc62f01d35b89df5981e4.jpg

@Major ArleneThere's this lone sneaky wall that you forgot to erase.

Overall, it was a nice map that was pretty straightforward but, I kinda expected more resistance from the skull key areas...like, it would be a thing for you to put a fight but...i'm surprised that wasn't any. I guess that was an intentional way to not make the map to last longer than it should be. I like that the map that, even with the main setpieces, it didn't felt samey because you added monsters here and there to have a sense of progression.

I didn't even used the plasma gun...once and that kinda worries me, because it's there but there were enough weapons and ammo to get the job done and, would have been good if it were resistance at the key areas, like I said before.

Again, probably that was intentional too because of the casual nature of the map.

I'll post a video soon.

RC2 is available! Difficulty settings are now implemented, softlocks and nodebuilder errors should hopefully be fixed. Enjoy!