Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Source Ports Doomworld Uses [adding up later this month]

dsda-doom: 3

crispy-doom: 3

Pooch: 3

Edited by Lol 6 : Edited cuz I broke the rules

hey i'm a sourceport now! :D

Since scores are based on usage, my numbers are gonna shift a lot based on whatever projects I'm actively working on, but at present it's a pretty even split across:

• Eternity: 3
  • dsda-doom: 3
  • GZDoom: 3

If there was room for a 4th port, it'd be Chocolate; its usage correlates strongly with activity for certain vanilla projects, and at the moment the Xaserbrain is in MBF21 Mode. :P

GZDoom: 6

DSDA-Doom: 2

Chocolate Doom: 1

I use Crispy Doom about as often as Chocolate Doom; when I make vanilla-compatible levels like my Doom from memory maps.

GZDoom: 8
Eternity: 1

I've used Eternity to play one thing this year, so probably it's more like 8.75 to 0.25, but whatever.

GZDoom: 9

Painted myself into the corner with this source port, so to speak.

Odamex: 9 points

I actually have a number of other ports installed, but almost always for testing behavior of other ports.  Crispy for Vanilla, DSDA-Doom for MBF, a semi-recent GZDoom, and various ZDoom 2.x/Zandornum forks that I have yet to settle on.  Taken as a whole, it'd probably be 1-2 points, but separately they don't rank.

Chocolate - 9

I love Crispy Doom, but these days I've been only testing vanilla wads, so I must give it to Chocolate (which at this point is just ingrained in my brain lol)

6 minutes ago, roadworx said:

woof!: 9

seems like i'm the only one in this thread who uses it ):

I'm thinking of adopting the port in the near future, actually. The MBF21 featureset is really promising imo, and the idea of a Crispy-ish port that supports things like Dehextra and UMAPINFO is very appealing to me. It might end up outmoding both Crispy and PrBoom+ for me, which would be a massive win, since I'd then be able to use a single port for ~90% of my Dooming.

Eternity Engine: 7 (for playing anything that doesn't require Zdoom)

GZDoom: 1

Chocolate Doom: 1

PrBoom-plus : 5 (planning to move on to DSDA Doom soon enough, though)
ZDoom : 3
Chocolate Doom / Chocorenderlimits : 1

GZDoom: 8

PrBoom+: 1

One thing's for sure, I'm really interested in that "SteveD oom" port. ;D

I use PrBoom+ exclusively for testing, but my usage will increase if I get back into the Ironman League, which is a lot of fun. Then again, maybe I should try DSDA-Doom. I'm also interested in DoomRetro. I should probably see if there's a new version of K8Vavoom as well. I like all the blood and the glowing lights, but the version I have makes music sound awful. I could go on, but IMO that's enough. :) 

crispydoom 4

gzdoom 4

prboom+ 1

surprised that there are not more prboom fans in the thread

Prboom+: 4

Eternity: 3

GZDoom: 2

Prboom+ is so versatile and commonplace I need to give it credit

Eternity has so much going for it that I wish it was more widely used

GZDoom... As much as it deviates from vanilla doom behavior the wide modding support really adds some freshness and helps keep the community going

Chocorender-limits - 4
Chocolate-Doom - 4
Gzdoom - 1

Because i use ports mostly for testing stuff i'm working on

Crispy-Doom: 5 Points

PrBoom+/DSDA-Doom: 3 Points

Eternity: 1 Point

I’m not a ZDoom guy, so I don’t play ZDoom ports when I can. Crispy does everything right for me, but PrBoom/DSDA are the more versatile ports that I use almost as often. For rare cases I use Eternity but Chocolate is not too far behind that.

Edited by T.Will

prboom-plus v2.5.1.3 (crashy mess, but it's what I have on my machine, and it has a lot of complevels and can emulate older ones accurately; and I've also gotten too comfortable with it): 9 points

dsda-doom: 0 points - I gotta switch over but don't really have big enough reason to bother yet, and I don't want to copy my settings over or know if they will even transfer.

Eternity - 6
Crispy Doom - 2
GZDoom - 1

I use PrBoom+ for testing my own Boom maps but not enough to give it a point.

Fascinating how few people only use a single source port!

Can I do decimals?  Mine would be something like:

GZDoom 8

PRBoom+ 0.5

Crispy  0.5

Basically I use GZDoom 90% of the time, but occasionally use PRBoom+ or Crispy for a nice change of pace.

I do use a lot of ports, I really love all the all the ports in their own way

so i'm just gonna go as of 3 I use the most recently as of just this week because I don't really know what my most used ports would be overall

Singleplayer Ports

GZDoom: 4

Crispy: 3

DSDA Doom:  2

Multiplayer Ports:

Zandronum: 5

ZDaemon: 4