Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom guy66

What is your favorite classic Doom Game?

What's your favorite classic Doom game?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these is your favorite?

• The Ultimate Doom
    • Doom 2: Hell on Earth
    • Final Doom
    • Doom 64

Plutonia is definitely my favorite. The way that almost every encounter works is just astonishing, and I love playing through it every time I turn it on. If I had to rank every title in a list, it would be:

1. Plutonia

2. DOOM 2

3. DOOM

4. TNT Evilution

I haven't played DOOM 64, but I definitely should.

The Ultimate Doom: It might've not aged well today, but it's always nice to appreciate the one that got the whole ball rolling in the first place! Sure, there's only so much you can do with 8 unique monsters (Technically 10, but Lost Souls aren't really counted as enemies and Spectres/Demons are all but one and the same), one of them being an admittedly pathetic boss monster, and the Super Shotgun wasn't considered a possibility yet, but Doom mapmaking/asset manipulation as we know it originated from the original 4-episode romp, and that's not a legacy I can underplay! DeHackED also got it's start here as well, as did the first source ports as well, really the OG Doom laid so much groundwork for all the good community shit we're spoiled with today, plus SIGIL's pretty good too, if somewhat "holy fuckamole"-difficult.

Doom 2: Hell On Earth: This one, while it has it's flaws, is almost always the one I pick when I boot up Doom. The majority of game mods and maps are built for it, there's about 8 extra monsters to place, kill, and change with DeHackED/BEX or DECORATE (with at least one being a secret enemy that's almost just about perfect for modding), there's more varied textures to use, the normal shotgun isn't the only option when you want the player to use shotgun shells,the Megasphere exists, so on, so forth. Honestly, the only real problem I can think of is that vanilla Doom 2 didn't have the option to let mapmakers use Doom 1 style episodes instead of replacing one/multiple maps of the default 32-map campaign, but even that can be mitigated in newer ports with MAPINFO.

TNT: Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment: Admittedly, the vanilla Final Doom campaigns were much more solid than the ones from Doom and Doom 2, but the only mapsets I can think of that require TNT or Plutonia are Revilution and Plutonia 2(/PRCP), respectively. Otherwise, they're not much more than mission-pack offshoots of Doom 2, where the only real changes made to the game are the levels and textures.

Doom 64: The Absolution: This one's a strange duck, I'll be honest. On one hand, even with the somewhat reduced monster count, reduced weapon frames (if any), and reduced texture variety, (since the game had to fit in a tiny N64 cartridge and all,) there's a really good lighting system and scripting engine going for it that could allow levels to function almost similar to Hexen, with much more potential for atmosphere and color-coding that the vanilla PC game just wasn't capable of. On the other... it's that somewhat obscure console sequel to Doom with a much lower playerbase, and with less interest to make a proper level editor/modding suite for it as a result. UDB does have the option to emulate D64-style lighting with UDMF though (as well as ACS scripting, but that's also a given), that's pretty nifty.

Edited by kinker31

If we're going by stock game alone, then Ultimate Doom. Doom 2 has more enemies and the SSG sure, but Ultimate Doom has far better level design (until episode 3, at least).

But if custom WADs and such are being taken into account, then Doom 2 undoubtedly.

Ultimate Doom. Having short sweet and to the point episodes makes it really easy to jump in for a quick session of Doom. I really wish they would have kept a similar structure for Doom 2. Mega campaigns can be grueling sometimes. 

i think the ultimate doom and doom 2 are good in they're own ways but if i had to chose one i say the ultimate doom is my favorite for being more simple fun than doom 2 , i like the chose of episodes too so if you are bored of allways replaying the same levels in the same orders you can go and load in another episode.

My vote goes for:

1. Ultimate Doom - I really dig the level design overall, even episodes 2 and 3 aside from a couple of duds. I tend to count Sigil in here as well, which bumps the game up a bit.

2. Doom 2, but only if I count in the ’No rest for the living’. Doom 2 has SSG and new enemies, which are great, but my ranking is based on the maps, and Doom 2 has more duds than Udoom. NRFTL is great, though.

3. Final Doom. I only recently completed both TNT and Plutonia on UV. When I first played these back in the 90s, I liked TNT and hated Plutonia. Now I see TNT for what it is: solid at best, but far too many duds, some very big duds. Plutonia, on the other hand, has grown on me over the years, and I’d rank it between UDoom and Doom 2, if I ranked these separately.

Doom 64 I haven’t played (although I have the new port of it, maybe I should).

I've been hooked on Doom since 1993, there are only a few other series that has made such an impact on me. To make a long post short, Doom 64 and the PSX versions of Doom/Final are my personal favourites.

1. Doom 64

2. Ultimate Doom

3. Doom 2

4. Plutonia

5. TNT Evilution

I love Doom 64. It’s atmosphere is just unmatched.

Ultimate doom close followed by Plutonia. Can’t remain interested enough in doom 2 or tnt to play though all

Hands down Ultimate Doom. There's something about Knee Deep In The Dead that is just so special to me, it's something that just simply can't be replicated. The design, the combat, the music, it's just amazing. Episode 1 is truly a masterpiece in my opinion.

Final Doom (Plutonia Experiment) comes at a close second simply for how unique it is. The traps, the trickery, the Arch Viles.  Even though it kicks my ass, I enjoy the pain in a weird way 😂

Doom II is very memorable simply for it's enemy variety and the Super Shotgun. I don't think creating custom maps would nearly be as big and as popular if Doom II wasn't released. 

The Ultimate Doom is probably the best. While it does get a little flat in Inferno, that's pretty much all classic id games in their third episode. I feel that while Doom 1's highs are lower than Doom 2's, it's lows are much much higher than 2's in my opinion. While the design is a little closed in, I feel like the level design is somewhat better than Doom 2's. The soundtrack is also my favorite of them all. Also, Thy Flesh Consumed is a neat little episode. 

I know I am late but here's my favourite games from the classic era:

PSX DOOM > DOOM 64 > Ultimate DOOM > TNT Evilution > Plutonia Experiment > DOOM 2: Hell on Earth

The PSX port is the best version of DOOM in my opinion. The creepy ambient music creates the best atmosphere, the atmosphere of fear. It feels like you're all alone with some beasts that want to kill you. I like its horror feeling plus it has some very good og maps like The Mansion, Club Doom, Hell's Gate etc

DOOM 64 is just badass. I really love the desicion of Doomguy to stay in Hell, make everyone believe that he is dead and he becomes known in Hell as the "Doom Slayer". It has some cool traps too and the look of the demons is amazing. I like it

Ultimate DOOM is basically the first DOOM game I've ever played in my life. I really love its maps, the music kicks ass (I'm not talking about E1M1 only) and the Pump Shotgun action is just the best. My favourite from the PC

I know that TNT is boring but I really love it. It has maps which look hella lit plus midis which kick ass like Into the Beast's Belly. Millions of love I have for TNT

Plutonia is good, but it's just painful. It uses too many Chaingunners, Revenants and Archviles, the three enemies that piss me off the most. I really hated Plutonia when I first played it but now I love it. I prefer TNT more btw

DOOM 2 had maps which look meh. The only reason why I am playing it is because many WADs were designed for it plus I like testing mods I download with it. I easily get bored whenever I play DOOM 2 because of how the maps look but it's still a good game