Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

That's certainly intriguing. Also, knowing that MachineGames is involved has vindicated my idea that they should be involved with Quake's future in some regard since they made that awesome bonus campaign episode back in 2016 to celebrate the game's 20th birthday. I'm curious to know what this thing entails.

If its true that Machine Games is working on a new official Quake port, this will be the first Quake console ports since Quake was ported to the Sega Saturn & N64 over 2 decades ago :)

probably something like Doom Unity port, but I'm just gonna keep my eye on it, maybe it's the Quake remake I've been waiting for

If this is coming to the consoles, I wonder if it'll have online multiplayer this time.

3 hours ago, ASD said:

If this is coming to the consoles, I wonder if it'll have online multiplayer this time.

Hopefully it's have, they MP it's more easy to port than the Doom one, because they used a more easy way to play online.

I hope it comes with arcane dimensions, its the best mod i ever played in my life, but having quakespasm-spiked and vkquake i dont know why someone would play on the new port.

1 hour ago, [McD]James said:

Quakespasm is such an amazing port for an already amazing game, I don't see what room is left for improvement. 

Well, a pipe dream would be raytracing implementation. Doesn't seem completely impossible given the precedent set by Quake 2. Would prefer the textures to remain in all their pixel art glory similar to the Doom PBR project though instead of having fully reworked high res textures.

A modern port would be wonderful in making Quake more widely accessible and appealing, I am surprised they're only doing it now to be honest.

If it is indeed a port which will be announced, I think it will be like the recent Doom 1 / 2 ports. Generally the last version of Quake id personally worked on, with a wrapper for modern systems, then some lifted limits to play some custom maps. They will avoid using community source ports as the licensing would require them to open source their release (AFAIK). So likely there will be some community maps added to it over time, but it will be limited to very vanilla additions. 

2 hours ago, [McD]James said:

Quakespasm is such an amazing port for an already amazing game, I don't see what room is left for improvement. 

i think the big thing is the fact that anybody that buys it now gets the world's shittiest way to play quake, and without music at that. the only way to get the music in your legal digital copy of the game at this point is *piracy* or to own an original disc, which is obviously not an answer for everybody. a new package akin to the current official doom sourceports with the properly licensed music would be phenomenal for getting people into the games - it's been working wonders for doom.

36 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

Last I checked the Steam version of Quake doesnt even have working music, so this is sure to be an improvement.

It doesn’t, but it’s so insanely simple to fix that I wonder why people think it’s so painfully hard to accomplish, and can only assume it’s never been updated by steam due to possible legal concerns behind the music tracks, but people act like getting the music to work is as hard as finding a needle in a haystack. 

I agree though, it would be an improvement for the soundtrack to be included from the start, for there to be better features and customization than what WinQuake offered (so something like quakespasm or mark v), and easily accessible mods and mission packs. 

I’d also like to see the DM7 “Court of Death” deathmatch map unique to the N64 port to be included in a rerelease. I know that it can be loaded into the game already of course, but it would be cool to see that officially included. After all, it is technically an official Id map. 

Edited by TelicAx7

4 hours ago, [McD]James said:

if they just made a better playing version of quake available on all plataforms with vanilla mod support like doom it would already be a huge win on my book especially since quake isnt them most popular series these days

Hopefully it won't just be like Quake RTX or something. I don't want my gritty Lovecraftian masterpiece ruined by Vaseline.

1 hour ago, omalefico32x said:

if they just made a better playing version of quake available on all plataforms with vanilla mod support like doom it would already be a huge win on my book especially since quake isnt them most popular series these days

Yeah, if more people are playing Quake, I would definitely count that as a win.

What we want:

- the same exact game with the same exact capabilities, compatible with today's hardware

What we'll get:

- Bethesda.net

- DRM that will bog down the game

- achievements, ranking, pay2win grinding unlockables

- a new engine for no reason with bugs and crashes

- only approved levels

32 minutes ago, Bucket said:

- Bethesda.net

This probably

32 minutes ago, Bucket said:

- DRM that will bog down the game

DRM is sort of a new word to me, but I feel like it wouldn't change the game all too much. if you could explain further, that would be helpful. 

34 minutes ago, Bucket said:

- achievements, ranking, pay2win grinding unlockables

Don't know why Achievements or ranking is a bad thing. It makes completionists happy, and if you aren't a completionist, you can just choose to ignore it. 

Considering that this is the same people that made the Unity Port, I wouldn't imagine there being Pay2win unlockables. I imagine it being pretty faithful to the original.

36 minutes ago, Bucket said:

Maybe. Hopefully not, but good thing there are patches for this type of stuff.

37 minutes ago, Bucket said:

- only approved levels

Not entirely sure what you mean, But I assume you're talking about Add-ons like for the Doom Unity port. Even then, I'm not too sure what you mean by this. Could you also explain this a bit more. 

DRM is "digital rights management", basically their way of checking to see if you own a license to play it - whether it be online checks, something like Denuvo, etc.

everything else Bucket mentioned i'm not so sure on - "a new engine" would be weird, i'm kinda expecting a source port like the current doom one (which is a bloody fantastic way to get into doom - it just works and is a pretty excellent representation of what makes doom what it is), and regarding "approved levels" it'll all be down to what their source port supports in terms of features. the original doom games are also "only approved levels" as they only come with doom/doom2/etc. making a catch-all "it does all the community stuff right now" source port isn't really feasible in most realms given the splintered nature of them all. imo the best bet is one that does vanilla w/ increased limits for some user content and higher fps/resolution support. doesn't need much else.

imo the current doom 1/2 release has done a good job rounding up some quality user content and making it accessible - could they do more? sure, but them acknowledging and including it at all is quite a leap. granted, i do have some reservations regarding how they're licensed, what kind of compensation the authors get, etc. i know doom folks do doom for free because they love doom, but that's not why bethesda does it.

i'm almost certain that if it is a new source port it will come with the id1 folder and you'll be able to go hog wild in your source port of choice - much like the current doom port, this isn't for the old heads and power users. we all have our shit sorted. it's about making it more accessible casually, and if it does that at a decent price point at the same level of quality they've shown with the current doom release, then they nailed it.

it's a super easy win for them they just have to you know, actually do it lol

Unless it's going to be a fully new game which given the title seems very improbable, it's a bit silly to assume there will be an entirely new engine.

12 hours ago, Bucket said:

id Tech 7 (the one used in Doom Eternal) is probably the most optimised and stable engines out there. It certainly ain't perfect, but I've (from my experience) had zero crashes through my whole playthrough of the main campaign and TAG1. Plus, why bother making a new engine?

Edited by Wavy

2 hours ago, Wavy said:

id Tech 7 (the one used in Doom Eternal) is probably the most optimised and stable engines out there. It certainly ain't perfect, but I've had zero crashes through my whole playthrough of the main campaign and TAG1.

Oh, the game crashed several times for me on the Icon of Sin level. And this was almost a year after the games launch. 

28 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Oh, the game crashed several times for me on the Icon of Sin level. And this was almost a year after the games launch. 

Well it's different for other people. I was just going off my experience.

22 minutes ago, Wavy said:

Well it's different for other people. I was just going off my experience.

I cannot recall a single crash with either Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal. One or two bugs here and there but nothing dramatic, and buttery smooth performance on the whole on my somewhat antiquated rig.