Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

IIRC you can run SOME AD maps in the new port, but some of the bigger maps crash.

It probably won't become an official add-on, sadly, due to the sheer amount of Hexen 2 assets that'd need to be replaced.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

I'm no expert on Quake internals, but since v1.6 Arcane Dimensions has come with notice that you have to use the very very latest QuakeSpasm, no not the one you downloaded yesterday it's already too old, to be able to run it. It could be just from how thoroughly limit-removing the port has to be to support these giant mammoth maps. (They had to write their own tools, too, since the old compilers choked on their biggest maps.)

1 hour ago, Kinsie said:

IIRC you can run SOME AD maps in the new port, but some of the bigger maps crash.

It probably won't become an official add-on, sadly, due to the sheer amount of Hexen 2 assets that'd need to be replaced.

I see. Going through things such as making new assets that replace the Hexen 2 textures and modifying AD to work in Quake EX (I'm calling it that from now on) would take too much time and work. Oh well. There's still plenty of other mods and map sets that are worth playing

Edited by Wavy

Assets from other games being used and shared between modders liberally it the main crutch keeping them from being officially curated for release. Even if something just has a couple of new sound effects you'd hardly even notice there's a very good chance they were taken from another game rather than being derivative work.

2 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Is there any explanation behind why the lighting is largely fireblu'd up in the maps? This isn't the result of any display settings. This is the new baked lighting compiled into the BSPs themselves. The typical effect is that several areas are filled with the inexplicable addition of an abundance of overly bright lights, taking away all of the carefully placed shadows and atmosphere, and in the worst cases illuminating surfaces that were intentionally meant be in pitch blackness.

Some random comparisons, Quakespasm on the left and the new enhanced release on the right:

Ke45kLXm.jpg UdVeBQnm.jpg

OTSlfP8m.jpg SZ5vFYpm.jpg

aF4xCcTm.jpg DIJw5VWm.jpg

Also, the dark passageway in Door to Chthon.

A small thing to fixIn the Spanish localization, the titles for the save and load menus are misspelled as "Guarder" (instead of Guardar) and "Chargar" (instead of Cargar).

I love the new high quality sounds of this version. So crisp and sexy!

Been greatly enjoying the game tonight with headphones, and got through half of E1 in one sitting (while simulataneously playing through the N64 versions for comparison)

Thanks to Quake being in source-port only territory for eons, ive never been able to have a good official play of the game till now, and despite its age, Quake is highly enjoyable. Really wish that PS1 port from Lobotomy had gotten a publisher back in the day (How the hell did noone want to publish a popular id software game!?), I might have actually had memories of Quake :p

I'm literally playing the game blind for the first time.

2 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Really wish that PS1 port from Lobotomy had gotten a publisher back in the day (How the hell did noone want to publish a popular id software game!?), I might have actually had memories of Quake :p

My understanding is that Lobotomy were in fairly dire financial straights at the time, and even with a publisher advance, there was no guarantee that they'd survive long enough to complete their Quake port.

Really awesome port! Playing Quake on a modern console feels surreal, and the fact that it's going to be updated with curated mod support is amazing! I haven't started it yet, but I'm really interested in the new episode as well. I already thought that Dimension of the Past was good, so if it's anything like that then I'm sure I'll love it.

Just a few bugs/issues I've noticed so far:

If you use the weapon wheel the game starts to hitch and stutter. The only way to fix it is to pause and unpause the game.

If you have the Thunderbolt and run out of ammo for it, you cannot re-select the axe through the d-pad shortcuts.

As some others have mentioned already, the acceleration/deadzone on Xbox feels really off. No matter how I adjust the settings, it just feels a little stiff and unresponsive.

Wait, Quake 1 never got a PS1 release?

That is odd. I clearly remember Quake II getting one - which incidentally was my first exposure to the game!

Just now, Rudolph said:

I clearly remember Quake II getting one - which incidentally was my first exposure to the game!

Quake 2 did get a port to the Playstation, but it was developed by HammerHead and ran on their own internal engine.

Just now, Wavy said:

Quake 2 did get a port to the Playstation, but it was developed by HammerHead and ran on their own internal engine.

Yeah, I do not remember how old I was at the time, but back then, I thought this was the coolest shit I had ever seen!

Liking it on PS4 so far, except aiming is stiff and max sensitivity is not fast enough.

11 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

That is odd. I clearly remember Quake II getting one - which incidentally was my first exposure to the game!

This is why this release is so important; Quake has only ever been ported to the Saturn and the N64, and then never ported ever again till now. Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake 2 have gotten ported various times, but Quake 1? Its been forgotten and buried till now. No PC updates, no console ports, nothing.

Quake 2 PSX being its own engine is dismaying; we probably wont see it as an add-on for a possible Quake 2 remaster then. It was an interesting mishmash of N64 and PC and had exclusive enemies.

5 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

So what source port was used for this release?

4 hours ago, Gez said:

For legal reasons (they want to be able to release the thing on GPL-adverse platforms such as the current Xbox/PS/Nintendo offering), they cannot use any existing third-party source port out there.

Some historical exception:
Nexuiz, before it would be retooled to use CryEngine 3, was going to use Darkplaces for their port to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 (And PC) as part of a remake by IllFonic. (Alientrap's Nexuiz would be renamed Nexuiz Classic before several devs spun off and went to make Xonotic)

In order to do this, they brought in LadyHavoc onboard and acquired a license to use the Darkplaces Engine on consoles. Because it was to be a commerical release, this also required a license from id to use the Quake Engine on these platforms.

That together made it able to use Darkplaces on console.

It was only after GDC 2010 that Illfonic discovered CryEngine 3, fell in love with, and decided to retool the game using, showing it off on PAX Prime 2010.

There is a GDC 2010 video of the Darkplaces reboot of Nexuiz:

26 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Quake on PS1 was supposely in development by Lobotomy - Utilizing the same Slavedriver tech that powered Quake Saturn and Exhumed - But it was cancelled in development.

24 minutes ago, Wavy said:

And its an amazing tour the force for the hardware. Inside that custom engine, developed in assembly, they had their own custom converters to convert Quake 2 levels over. They added in small sub-sections which functioned as loading screens. The result: A near perfect rendition of Quake 2, run at 512x240 at a rather stable 30 fps. Easily one of the most impressive PSX games.

Quake 2 on N64 is not nearly as impressive, but it is different. Utilizing sprite based weapons, supposely it was developed in the Quake 64 engine, which, correct me if im wrong, was also used for Daikatana on Nintendo 64.

But one of the most impressive use cases of Quake 2 is the Atari Falcon port. Yes, a demoscener called Douglas Little, through a custom engine, attempted to run Quake 2 level content on a mere Atari Falcon. The results are fascinating:

Something interesting I noticed is that there still is glquake, quakeworld, and winquake inside the files. Is this intentional?quakeupdatefiles7.png.51e2d5800bf5f9963cf792512ddfccaa.png

On 8/20/2021 at 7:14 PM, Lollie said:

In the meantime, I'm going to try substituting the OST with Hodges' Bandcamp version. It turns out that you can (currently) throw a "music" folder into "C:\Users\[You]\Saved Games\Nightdive\Quake\q64", and load it up with "track##.ogg" files numbered 01 to 16.

Did this, and it works! For anyone looking to try this, you can grab Aubrey Hodges' Quake 64 soundtrack on Bandcamp, just make sure to download it in OGG format. Track order is under the spoiler below, rename the Bandcamp release's filenames to their respective "track##.ogg" listing:

Spoiler

track01: #16 - The Reaping Comes (Level - The Vaults Of Zin)
track02: #5 - Growls Of The Lost (Level - Castle Of The Damned)
track03: #6 - Soul Eaters (Level - The Necropolis)
track04: #7 - Ghosts In My Head (Level - Gloom Keep)
track05: #8 - Lost In The Void (Level - The Door To Chton)
track06: #9 - Trouble Found Me (Level - The House Of Chton)
track07: #10 - I Am The Soul Eater (Level - Ziggurat Vertigo)
track08: #4 - Warbled (Level - Slipgate Complex)
track09: #11 - Over The Edge Of Distorted Mayhem (Level - Crypt Of Decay)
track10: #12 - Another Sickening Day (Level - The Wizards Manse)
track11: #13 - Mentality Of The Forsaken (Level - The Dismal Oubliette)
track12: #14 - The Suffering Darkness (The Underearth)
track13: #15 - Unplug The Torment (Level - Termination Central)
track14: #2 - Quake N64 Level Complete
track15: #3 - Quake N64 Rune Acquired
track16: #17 - Quake N64 Finale

Place the renamed files in this location: "C:\Users\<your user name>\Saved Games\Nightdive\Quake\q64\music"

(You will need to create the "music" folder.)

With that said, just to touch on this again:

On 8/20/2021 at 6:32 PM, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

You're right; the music is still playing, at least in the levels for me. I got thrown off because of the error messages in the console, and also because the Quake 64 menu theme wasn't playing. I'm not sure if the lack of menu music is by design, however.

It turns out that Quake 64's theme music is completely missing from the Q64 pak, it's simply not in there. @Edward850 / @sponge, is this intended?

I also want to make sure this isn't lost: Quake's music in general plays rather quiet compared to sound effects, even when set to max volume (as it is by default), but the music in the Quake 64 addon .pak is so quiet that it can barely be heard without lowering sound effects volume.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:14 PM, Lollie said:

I've noticed while poking around, the actual audio in the music files appears to be really quiet with just a few tiny peaks. All of Q64's music could use a soft-limiter around -4dB to -6dB, which would give room to raise their volume by 150% to 200% without causing clipping. Regardless of this, the music plays much more quiet than it should, even when music volume is maxed out at 10. Players may want to reduce sound effects volume to 5 to compensate.

28 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

And its an amazing tour the force for the hardware. Inside that custom engine, developed in assembly, they had their own custom converters to convert Quake 2 levels over. They added in small sub-sections which functioned as loading screens. The result: A near perfect rendition of Quake 2, run at 512x240 at a rather stable 30 fps. Easily one of the most impressive PSX games.

Quake 2 on N64 is not nearly as impressive, but it is different. Utilizing sprite based weapons, supposely it was developed in the Quake 64 engine, which, correct me if im wrong, was also used for Daikatana on Nintendo 64.

But one of the most impressive use cases of Quake 2 is the Atari Falcon port. Yes, a demoscener called Douglas Little, through a custom engine, attempted to run Quake 2 level content on a mere Atari Falcon. The results are fascinating:

Spoiler

It was programmed in assembly? Damn, some dedication right there. Also those Falcon demos are wicked! Seems they used some Quake 3 maps as well!

Though, Quake 2 N64 uses models for view model weapons. It just looks as if they're sprites due to the weird bobbing and lack of frame interpolation.

3 hours ago, lazygecko said:

Assets from other games being used and shared between modders liberally it the main crutch keeping them from being officially curated for release. Even if something just has a couple of new sound effects you'd hardly even notice there's a very good chance they were taken from another game rather than being derivative work.

It's worth noting, this didn't prevent addons from being added to Doom. It just means that any assets ripped from other sources will need to be replaced with original art.

7 minutes ago, Wavy said:

It was programmed in assembly? Damn, some dedication right there. Also those Falcon demos are wicked! Seems they used some Quake 3 maps as well!

Though, Quake 2 N64 uses models for view model weapons. It just looks as if they're sprites due to the weird bobbing and lack of frame interpolation.

Yeah, I was surprised to learn they were in fact 3D models and always assumed they were sprites due to the really stiff way they were animated and looked like static images being rotated.

19 minutes ago, Lollie said:

Music stuff

Thanks for this. I could only hear the Q64 music with my Razer headphones at max volume.

Unrelated:

unknown.png

I gibbed one of those wraithlike things above these moving traps, and now I have a body part constantly stuck on the scenery spraying endless blood as it tries to 'settle' xD

25 minutes ago, Wavy said:

There is also a custom version of Doom (Which you can download) that actually uses shaders, but not the way current-day shaders are processed, but through the Falcon's DSP (which is usually used for audio. But the DSP itself is a fully functional co-processor). Its great.

25 minutes ago, Wavy said:

Well that totally fooled me. What a damn misuse of models though. I frankly found that the worst bit of that version.

I noticed in the console there were commands for editing Nav files, I hope this means people can make custom nav files for old DM maps. Speaking of Dm I was able to get the discharge achievement on steam using bots which is nice since my internet is a POS. Speaking of bots I forget the name of the map but it had CTF1 in the name and I did noticed sometimes the bots got stuck on walls, bot skill was set to training and I had 8 bots

I imagine that there will be a Quake 2 remastered, sometime in the near future. A reboot would be fun, too. 

7 minutes ago, Chip said:

I imagine that there will be a Quake 2 remastered, sometime in the near future. A reboot would be fun, too. 

With Releases as Quake now you're warming up the IP again ;)

If i can mention some small Wishes for a possible Update:

- louder Music

- being able to invert right/left look with Gyros*

- Expansion Pack Support for Quake 64

Don't take the last to serious ;)

*Feels somehow strange with the Switch undocked to lower the left part to look on to the right.

It doesn't feel so with only the Controller.

The Human Brain is sometimes strange.

On controller the weapon wheel and D-PAD have the opposite order for left and right weapons.

(weapon wheel left = nail gun, d-pad right = nail gun)

Would be nice if they were the same or we could rebind the D-PAD weapons.

I’ve been using both actively and works really well overall. But it’s easy to get confused every now and then.

Other than that and the analog dead zone thing(X-Box one version). It’s easily been my favorite way to play this game. 

15 hours ago, lazygecko said:

And, hell, I've probably said this on Doomworld before but I think the OG Quake weapons already look better and way more gracefully designed within their limitations compared to the recent boomer shooters trying to mimick the style.

The 90's was a time period of proving possibilities. This is common in much of 90's media as we progressed into a digital age.

You'll notice extra attention to detail and design in many 90's things to overcome the hardware/software limitations of the time and make it as believable as possible.

This was true of DOOM, Quake, but so many other games as well. But not limited to games.

Look at the OG Jurassic Park... the cgi and dinosaurs just looked so much better than any of the sequels to follow. They really wanted to "wow!" us back then with industry firsts. This also goes into 90's TV (x-files still holds up against any other sci-fi shoe today) and music and audio, etc etc.

It set many of the standards across media that we still follow today.

Just finished Episode 1 for the first time ever, and Cthon was...possibly a bigger letdown than the Mastermind of Dis. Boss fights was definitely NOT the strong suit of the old id. Good thing the other three episodes have no bosses.

The new lighting definitely affected Door to Cthon; I got a cue that my was was lit, but all it did was brighten up a trap that was already extremely visible. Im guessing this was a much harder trap to navigate originally.

I really like that the new expansion tries to match up to where the modding scene is these days rather than just create another old school style pack. It doesn't hit the highs of some of the most ambitious Quake levels out there, but it's still pretty damn good, and the gameplay is super tight. I wish it was a proper campaign rather than the hub system that most community projects use, but it's still quality nonetheless.

The only thing I don't like about this port is how it feels. It feels slipperier than I'm used to. It's not a dealbreaker, but I feel less in control. That said I haven't played the base game yet, just the newest expansion because new Quake content will always pull me in.

Is the new expansion available online for use with source ports or do you have to get the remaster to play it?