Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

1 minute ago, The Strife Commando said:

Is the new expansion available online for use with source ports or do you have to get the remaster to play it?

if you have Quake on Steam, it should download for free. 

2 minutes ago, Chip said:

if you have Quake on Steam, it should download for free. 

You mean I can't download the new episode elsewhere? :(

Got to Episode 4, reminded of why I hate Spawns.

I will say that the updated model actually makes them look like something, rather than the original incomprehensible blob they used to be.

It's basically the equivalent of Doom 2's No Rest for the Living and Doom 64's Lost Levels. Why would it be free? It's one of the incentives to update your existing Steam/GoG copy or buy it on modern systems. 

I assume once you own the port you'll be able to use the expansion in other ports, just like NRFTL. 

4 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

It's basically the equivalent of Doom 2's No Rest for the Living and Doom 64's Lost Levels. Why would it be free? It's one of the incentives to update your existing Steam/GoG copy or buy it on modern systems. 

I assume once you own the port you'll be able to use the expansion in other ports, just like NRFTL. 

Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case. 

In the video, it's crashed at the end?

Also, there are a lot of errors in the console. Missing something of the texture and lighting improvements in the official port, too.

42 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

The new lighting definitely affected Door to Cthon; I got a cue that my was was lit, but all it did was brighten up a trap that was already extremely visible. Im guessing this was a much harder trap to navigate originally.

Yeah, the lighting is borked in the re-release. The top image is how it's supposed to look:

Spoiler

idru8ev.png

ZoJyr2x.png

8 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Yeah, the lighting is borked in the re-release. The top image is how it's supposed to look:

Hide contents

I have to be honest, i like it that i see more (same in Doom 64).
That also makes the Game feel less brownish.

But as with everything that matters on Taste, just give the Option for Both :D

So is KEX being used as a wrapper for the Quake engine, similar to Unity for Doom, or did they mimic the engine like they did for Blood Fresh Supply?

28 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

So is KEX being used as a wrapper for the Quake engine, similar to Unity for Doom, or did they mimic the engine like they did for Blood Fresh Supply?

From what I've been told it's the former

39 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Hide contents

idru8ev.png

ZoJyr2x.png

On a related if small note, in the remaster, the razor-thin stairs embedded into the wall in Satan's Dark Delight now look pitch black from the side, which makes the secret a bit more easy to notice.

And the semitransparent portals look blurry. I think it's because often there are double portal textures, one on each side of the portal. The blur comes from the overlapping textures. Transparent water looks very nice but I think the portals would look better being 100% opaque.

---

When I was about to exit The Tomb of Terror, I could hear a respawning sound. The one you can hear in something like Arcane Dimensions. I'm pretty sure a 100 Health powerup respawned. Maybe because I had low health. Is this something new? I've never had that happen in the old Quake. Or maybe I just don't know my Quake!

And here I am playing it via Steam Proton on Fedora Linux, so we know it'll work fine on the Steam Deck when it ships :)

I was using a cheap wireless mouse on one of my Linux laptops while playing, so I was really sucking ass, but regardless.. it ran beautifully.

My nitpicks about the port so far:

- Gibs are flying like in slow motion

- Blue underwater tint only makes sense in clean water. In dirty water should be brownish

- Many assets remain unchanged (BSP models, headgibs, mission pack models)

- Music could be louder

- Sound directions also don't seem to be adequate all the time

- Item bobbing should be optional (looks too much like Q3)

In general, it's a quite nice port, though, especially on consoles (I play on Switch). On PC, I'll stick to my WinQuake/QSS combination. I haven't tried the overhauled DOTP and the new DOTM yet, but IMHO there should also be versions of them that can be run in other ports without triggering warnings or crashes.

Edited by NightFright

2 hours ago, Chip said:

I imagine that there will be a Quake 2 remastered, sometime in the near future. A reboot would be fun, too. 

I wonder if it would be feasible to add the Q2 N64 levels to that hypothetical remaster. Would be very nice! A fellow ported some levels to the PC a few years ago but didn't continue with the project as far as I know.

---

I'm playing the game in Spanish. It's so strange to see this game in my own language. The menus, the ending texts... it's very gratifying. Especially the ending texts.

Edited by mattjoes

11 minutes ago, NightFright said:

- Many assets remain unchanged (BSP models, headgibs, mission pack models)

The BSP models have remastered versions in the files, but I don't think they're used for some reason? The changes are typically very subtle, though.

11 minutes ago, mattjoes said:

I wonder if it would be feasible to add the Q2 N64 levels to that hypothetical remaster. Would be very nice! A fellow ported some levels to the PC a few years ago but didn't continue with the project as far as I know.

Might be a little trickier - The Quake 64 mod in the remaster just uses the Quake 64-ass file formats since it's still the Quake 1 engine under the hood, while Quake 2 64 is built off of Quake 1 64 instead of the Quake 2 engine.

39 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

Might be a little trickier - The Quake 64 mod in the remaster just uses the Quake 64-ass file formats since it's still the Quake 1 engine under the hood, while Quake 2 64 is built off of Quake 1 64 instead of the Quake 2 engine.

Maybe that N64 Quake 2 conversion should be developed for Quake 1...

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

My nitpicks about the port so far:

- Gibs are flying like in slow motion

First we're hearing about this. You sure they are different from the original DOS Quake?

I can't put my finger on it, but it seems like gravity settings appear to be similar to Ziggurat Vertigo, but just for flying gibs. At least it feels like that. I just played the entirety of the old Quake episodes with WinQuake before this and I can tell it doesn't feel right. It's like a slow motion effect is activated or something.

Well we haven't changed a single thing about the physics so I'm not quite sure what you're allegedly seeing.

The gibs flying slowdown looks like lag/slowdown due to fps drop, but it's not since the rest of the game runs normally.

11 minutes ago, NightFright said:

I wonder what was the original idea behind putting Jesus into Quake in the first place.

To be edgy and sacrilegious I suppose.

19 minutes ago, NightFright said:

I wonder what was the original idea behind putting Jesus into Quake in the first place.

From what I understand, they said it would be funny to shoot nails at him in an interview.

24 minutes ago, NightFright said:

If I recall correctly, that texture is called muh_bad.