Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

I'm gonna play Contract Revoked tonight to tide myself over while I eagerly wait for the GOG update. I've heard really good things about that one.

Edited by [McD]James

31 minutes ago, zzzornbringer said:

stupid question, but just want to make sure. did you copy that command and inserted it without removing the "to"? because i tried that option and it does work.

Yeah, I put in r_gpuculling 0 and r_gpuCulling 0, but neither seemed to affect anything for me. 

I'm halfway through Dissolution of Eternity and am sick to the back teeth of switching my weapon back to the one I had selected because the game decided to switch to the new weapon (or ammo for a previously-empty type) that I just grabbed. Can we get an option for that?

1210658732_Screenshotfrom2021-08-2415-41-58.png.555617ae4946121c2d1770a9be235706.png

does anyone know how to solve this or is running this with d3d11 impossible on linux

i usually can run games that use it without a problem thats how i played doom 64 but i cant get it to work with quake

1 hour ago, Jayextee said:

I'm halfway through Dissolution of Eternity and am sick to the back teeth of switching my weapon back to the one I had selected because the game decided to switch to the new weapon (or ammo for a previously-empty type) that I just grabbed. Can we get an option for that?

Changing this at the engine level might be difficult since weapon switching is controlled entirely by the QuakeC code, but it does mean at the very least it can be done with a mod.

Tbh I'm surprised I got away with this stun, I was expecting to hit a kill pane or the fall to kill me. Now that I think about it, these maps seem to be made with people who like to try and do crazy things in mind as this isn't the first time I tried something like this. And before anyone asks, this was the first try and yes I did save first before trying the jump to the yellow key. Not sure how much time this can save in a speedrun unless this is how you get the key in the first place

On 8/21/2021 at 12:32 PM, The Strife Commando said:

Is the new expansion available online for use with source ports or do you have to get the remaster to play it?

I slapped the folder in my Quakespasm install and it worked with some small weirdness.  The text popups were messed up but the levels themselves seemed alright.  Didn't do a full run to test, though, so there could be more issues later.

EDIT: Disregard, I didn't realize I was replying to a post from 6 pages back, lol.  This has already been discussed thoroughly.

13 minutes ago, VanaheimRanger said:

I slapped the folder in my Quakespasm install and it worked with some small weirdness.  The text popups were messed up but the levels themselves seemed alright.  Didn't do a full run to test, though, so there could be more issues later.

EDIT: Disregard, I didn't realize I was replying to a post from 6 pages back, lol.  This has already been discussed thoroughly.

how did you do it every time i try it crashes while im fighting some enemies

402739553_Screenshotfrom2021-08-2417-26-09.png.e9e85a0039d7dc94b8344a83561594e0.png

5 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

402739553_Screenshotfrom2021-08-2417-26-09.png.e9e85a0039d7dc94b8344a83561594e0.png

This issue (and more) are fixed in current git  vkquake from github (not in QuakeSpasm), with the latest commits addressing the rerelease, including this error message and crash after a few seconds. There is no Windows build yet and I compiled it myself on Linux. However, text is not translated and some features of the Kex version are not supported: colored lighting, dynamic shadows, ambient occlusion... which makes DotM not look as good as it could, as it was clearly designed with these features in mind. It seems to play fine though with the very limited testing I did. And mouse input is more responsive, as expected.

2 minutes ago, bobbie424242 said:

This issue (and more) are fixed in current git  vkquake from github (not in QuakeSpasm), with the latest commits addressing the rerelease, including this error message and crash after a few seconds. There is no Windows build yet and I compiled it myself on Linux. However, text is not translated and some features of the Kex version are not supported: colored lighting, dynamic shadows, ambient occlusion... which makes DotM not look as good as it could, as it was clearly designed with these features in mind. It seems to play fine though with the very limited testing I did.

yeah the problem is that i cant run vulkan on my machine so i guess all i can do is wait until i have a pc that can

thanks for the info

Today I finished the base game of Quake! This is my first time playing it, and I was AMAZED! the final 2 levels of Episode 4 might have been my favorite, though those Spawn slime things still suck (Yes, I know about the worse version of them from the expansion). I always heard in the past that the last level was a letdown, but I enjoyed it a lot. at the end I died because the portal wasn't lined up with Shub. I found that puzzle pretty cool, I'm not sure what I could compare it to, but it felt like it was from a master puzzle game and I felt good solving it. The rest of the level was fun. I had the rocket launcher and lightning gun, and it felt like Shub was just throwing everything they had left at me, and I had just had it, so I killed everything in the matter of seconds. something straight out of an action film. 

I started Scourge of Armageddon, and WOW, is that fun! I like how it shifts from outside to inside, and how it is light outside. Scourge of Armageddon might be my favorite FPS game I've played EVER! It is SOOOO GOOD! It's difficult, but somehow its difficulty comes from pretty low-tier enemies. I can't wait to complete it and move on to the other expansions. the newest 2 created by Machinegames looks excellent. Good job to everybody at Nightdive, ID, Bethesda, Machinegames, and whoever else worked on this incredible port! You are the best!

21 minutes ago, Chip said:

Today I finished the base game of Quake! This is my first time playing it, and I was AMAZED! the final 2 levels of Episode 4 might have been my favorite, though those Spawn slime things still suck (Yes, I know about the worse version of them from the expansion). I always heard in the past that the last level was a letdown, but I enjoyed it a lot. at the end I died because the portal wasn't lined up with Shub. I found that puzzle pretty cool, I'm not sure what I could compare it to, but it felt like it was from a master puzzle game and I felt good solving it. The rest of the level was fun. I had the rocket launcher and lightning gun, and it felt like Shub was just throwing everything they had left at me, and I had just had it, so I killed everything in the matter of seconds. something straight out of an action film. 

I started Scourge of Armageddon, and WOW, is that fun! I like how it shifts from outside to inside, and how it is light outside. Scourge of Armageddon might be my favorite FPS game I've played EVER! It is SOOOO GOOD! It's difficult, but somehow its difficulty comes from pretty low-tier enemies. I can't wait to complete it and move on to the other expansions. the newest 2 created by Machinegames looks excellent. Good job to everybody at Nightdive, ID, Bethesda, Machinegames, and whoever else worked on this incredible port! You are the best!

Personally I'm also a big fan of how the first mission pack starts. These extended takes on the tech bases is pretty fun and they managed to make them fairly hard despite using mostly grunts, enforcers, dogs and those new weird nailgun-wielding scorpions.

Eventually...

Spoiler

you will return to the dark fantasy world and fight its corresponding foes again, like the ogres, knights, fiends and all that other good stuff

...but hopefully you'll still enjoy the episode then. Levels are still pretty fun and they sure did a good job of being interesting with the level design. 

30 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:
Spoiler

you will return to the dark fantasy world and fight its corresponding foes again, like the ogres, knights, fiends and all that other good stuff

Just got to that part! Haven't played any of it yet. I still love the puzzle elements and deathtraps. it's a bit of an improvement from the regular game. Not that the game was bad in any way, I just happen to like this one better. It feels like a prequel of some sorts to Red Faction.

7 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Regarding player speed, aren't the (original/vanilla) defaults supposed to be 400 for forwardspeed and backspeed, and 350 for sidespeed?

The vanilla default for backspeed is 200, which is where the problem is. The defaults didn't actually matter and the input code immediately changed these values based on the speed modifier. I have no idea why these were even cvars.

4 hours ago, Thorogrimm said:

I'm still incredibly confused why they'd change that

I have explained this so many times already in this thread. We did not change this. Repeated accusations of this are getting beyond a joke.

I've only done like a few matches of multiplayer in Quake EX, but I'm surprised how fun it is, even if I do briefly desync a few times. I just jumped into matchmaking and tried to frag some people, but it's stable enough for me that I got 13 frags the first round (round/match/whatever the right term is)! I'm not sure if it's me or how everything works, but it took me very little time to get accustomed to it, and I like all of that.

2 hours ago, Rexen² said:

Tbh I'm surprised I got away with this stun, I was expecting to hit a kill pane or the fall to kill me. Now that I think about it, these maps seem to be made with people who like to try and do crazy things in mind as this isn't the first time I tried something like this. And before anyone asks, this was the first try and yes I did save first before trying the jump to the yellow key. Not sure how much time this can save in a speedrun unless this is how you get the key in the first plac

This is exactly what I did when I first played the map! It was really cool you are allowed to do this. A lot of the vistas and scenic spots in these levels are downright jaw dropping.

I landed on the platform itself and barely took any fall damage, I was fully expecting to gib.

I started running up through it and figured its not how its suppose to be done the first time you play but would be great for a second playthrough, so I loaded my save right before it and played the level like normal.

7 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I'm not sure if it's me or how everything works, but it took me very little time to get accustomed to it, and I like all of that.

By desync I suspect you mean that your client appears to shift from where the server says you are? Yeah that can happen, it's part of how we had to add client prediction to NetQuake.

There's a long technical answer to it, but the abridged version is in NetQuake, the client is actually a kind of a dumb terminal, it doesn't know how to run any local physics functions nor does it know the real state of the entities. We kind of had to introduce those concepts back into both the client and the netcode. Every once in a while, things in this behaviour don't quite line up and the client mis predicts its own movement drastically, and while it should start trying to correct itself immediately, it can sometimes take an unusual amount of time to lerp to the new corrected position. Once you move far away from yourself or given enough time (or a small enough distance) it will clear itself up.

I enabled viewbob in the options and it feels great, I think it should be the default, I believe many of the complaints about it feeling floaty are because of this change. Others are probably about mouse input + Vsync etc ... depends on the user's system. Feels good on mine.

An annoyance I found is that TAB doesn't show the "ExMx" info of the current map. I wish it did!

I hope the first update comes soon and fixes the loading failing the first time bug.

18 hours ago, [McD]James said:

How are console players making out online, anyways? Quake's multiplayer is pretty rough to begin with, but playing with a Switch controller against mouse and keyboard users sounds especially harsh. 

Gyro aim is more intuitive than you may think...

1 hour ago, omalefico32x said:

I should iterate that it was QS Spiked, not regular QS.  I should remember to differentiate these.

30 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

By desync I suspect you mean that your client appears to shift from where the server says you are? Yeah that can happen, it's part of how we had to add client prediction to NetQuake.

There's a long technical answer to it, but the abridged version is in NetQuake, the client is actually a kind of a dumb terminal, it doesn't know how to run any local physics functions nor does it know the real state of the entities. We kind of had to introduce those concepts back into both the client and the netcode. Every once in a while, things in this behaviour don't quite line up and the client mis predicts its own movement drastically, and while it should start trying to correct itself immediately, it can sometimes take an unusual amount of time to lerp to the new corrected position. Once you move far away from yourself or given enough time (or a small enough distance) it will clear itself up.

It's like that thing where you're stuck in place for a few seconds, and the other players in your view look like still images, that sort of thing. Don't know if that's something desync causes or is, but that's the most trouble I've had with the multiplayer.

12 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

It's like that thing where you're stuck in place for a few seconds, and the other players in your view look like still images, that sort of thing. Don't know if that's something desync causes or is, but that's the most trouble I've had with the multiplayer.

Oh that's not a desync. You are just not getting data from the server anymore. Dropped packets or some such.

10 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Oh that's not a desync. You are just not getting data from the server anymore. Dropped packets or some such.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate that? It's not a pressing issue, but if I can improve it somehow, that might deal with it.

3 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Is there anything I can do to mitigate that? It's not a pressing issue, but if I can improve it somehow, that might deal with it.

Are you playing on WiFi? If so, then move to an ethernet connection. Otherwise I couldn't say much you could do, given the problem would be reliant on your own network equipment and you Internet service.

3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Are you playing on WiFi? If so, then move to an ethernet connection. Otherwise I couldn't say much you could do, given the problem would be reliant on your own network equipment and you Internet service.

Yeah, I'm on WiFi currently, my room's a bit far away from the router too. I can see about getting an ethernet cord and whatever else I'd need to get it that far.

@DavetheDoomguy They do make and sell long Ethernet cords. Try getting a measuring tape and figure out how far of a distance you’ll need and then get the cord a little longer than the distance for some wiggle room. 

4 hours ago, Rexen² said:

Tbh I'm surprised I got away with this stun, I was expecting to hit a kill pane or the fall to kill me. Now that I think about it, these maps seem to be made with people who like to try and do crazy things in mind as this isn't the first time I tried something like this. And before anyone asks, this was the first try and yes I did save first before trying the jump to the yellow key. Not sure how much time this can save in a speedrun unless this is how you get the key in the first place

Unless they intentionally try to kill you in a map, which can be done, the maximum fall damage without armor is 5 HP. With green it's 3, yellow it's 2, red is 1 (I believe, I'd have to check on red armor but I'm pretty sure it's 1). Falling damage is just a check to see if you fell far enough to trigger falling damage, the distance after that check doesn't matter; it doesn't damage you any more.

So it's not like Half-Life, where a minor fall might take 10 or 20 HP off, but a severe fall will kill you.

Edited by Jello

Ah I see so basically as long as I'm above 5 hp I can take any fall (unless the map says so like falling into a bottomless pit) if I'm understanding correct.

24 minutes ago, Rexen² said:

Ah I see so basically as long as I'm above 5 hp I can take any fall (unless the map says so like falling into a bottomless pit) if I'm understanding correct.

Pretty much, and the 5HP is assuming you don't have any armor, but with zero armor, the max damage you can take is 5. It's pretty forgiving.