Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

I haven't played Quake in ages. So I grabbed the remaster on Steam and I'm having a blast playing through the base game. Will play the expansions and new episode stuffs next. I finally clued in to finishing the map first, then disabling the hud for screenshots, otherwise it's pretty painful shutting that off and on again to take a HUd-less screenshot. heh. That's really my only gripe. Otherwise fantastic job to those that worked on it.

JzeIFyc.jpg

1 hour ago, Doom_Dude said:

I haven't played Quake in ages. So I grabbed the remaster on Steam and I'm having a blast playing through the base game. Will play the expansions and new episode stuffs next. I finally clued in to finishing the map first, then disabling the hud for screenshots, otherwise it's pretty painful shutting that off and on again to take a HUd-less screenshot. heh. That's really my only gripe. Otherwise fantastic job to those that worked on it.

JzeIFyc.jpg

God this game is beautiful. I think aesthticly it's the best looking game I've ever played.

The level design and monster design doesn't hurt. The only area I could see for improvement is not making the Perforator make the nail gun feel redundant, and adding more boss fights like Chthon. Other than that, I love it so much.

Seeing that dead Shambler in the screencap makes me think that, to me, Shamblers don't have white skin or white fur. Since the first time I played Quake, I've always felt they were wearing a white suit, like a nurse's uniform. Not the most likely explanation for sure, but that's what they look like to me!

On 8/24/2021 at 1:24 PM, [McD]James said:

How are console players making out online, anyways? Quake's multiplayer is pretty rough to begin with, but playing with a Switch controller against mouse and keyboard users sounds especially harsh. 

would be easier if this rereleases deadzones weren't so big, and if it had more modern, circular aim over the old cross styled aiming, aim acceleration settings would also be good, I hope they give players options for that

On 8/24/2021 at 8:20 AM, Lippeth said:

I can't seem to connect to Bethesda.net when the game launches through Steam, It tells me to check my connection and try again. I'm able to login to Bethesda's launcher so it's not an account issue, and I'm clearly connected to the internet. It gives me two options in the connection error promt: back and cancel, but they both just make the prompt disappear. When selecting multiplayer mode, it tries to connect and then quickly says "Lost connection to online services.".

Clicking Bethesda.net in the options menu shows: "Error: PlayerAlreadyLoggedIn".

All that being said the game feels great after switching to d3d11, I'm happy to see an official port with such high quality.

@Lippeth were you able to solve the Online problem? I am having the same problem, firewall settings are OK, bethesda Launcher can login, Quake Champions runs OK in Steam (MP working), but I cannot access the multiplayer / connect to bethesda through Quake. Exactly the same. I've even logged a ticket with Bethesda support.

7 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

otherwise it's pretty painful shutting that off and on again to take a HUd-less screenshot

Pretty sure you can make yourself console aliases to turn off the HUD, take a screenshot, and turn the HUD back on as a single command. Unless they disabled the console or something.

I made a quick patch to get the new DOPA release playable in other ports. Get this file (54 KB) and follow the instructions in the readme. I already tested it in Quakespasm-Spiked. All maps work, the only thing you won't get is the "Congratulations" screen at the end of the episode - but in return, you won't get any crashes (if you follow the readme instructions properly).

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

I made a quick patch to get the new DOPA release playable in other ports

dopa has been released some years ago and works perfectly fine on other source ports. have they changed anything?

There is one additional secret map (which doesn't count for the secret exit achievement) plus that congrats screen with the usual "you have won, well done" text, nothing special. Maps are vised for transparent water and have colored lighting. There might be some other visual or gameplay-related changes, but I don't know the maps well enough to be sure about that.

19 hours ago, Edward850 said:

The vanilla default for backspeed is 200, which is where the problem is. The defaults didn't actually matter and the input code immediately changed these values based on the speed modifier. I have no idea why these were even cvars.

I have explained this so many times already in this thread. We did not change this. Repeated accusations of this are getting beyond a joke.

Aaah, okay. Will there be a patch for that soon?

Okay, so I was apparently wrong when I said that Quakespasm had 0 room for improvement because until now I wasn't aware that running most Quake ports on higher refresh rates resulted in wonky physics and glitches. But Quakespasm Spiked doesn't have that problem, so I guess that's my new go-to source port. I'm still excited as heck to try out the new one though. 

Edited by [McD]James

12 hours ago, MRomo said:

@Lippeth were you able to solve the Online problem? I am having the same problem, firewall settings are OK, bethesda Launcher can login, Quake Champions runs OK in Steam (MP working), but I cannot access the multiplayer / connect to bethesda through Quake. Exactly the same. I've even logged a ticket with Bethesda support.

Are you connected wireless?

If yes, try another Channel or to separate 2 ghz and 5.

Sounds a bit stupid, but i've seen everything in my household :)

9 hours ago, Azuris said:

The method I use to get the internet might sound like it's the exact culprit for having connection issues, though I'm fairly certain that it's not because of all the other games and things I connect to, and a large number of other players seem to have the issue as well. My only source of for internet is my phone's hotspot, and I've changed my computer's TTL so my carrier thinks I'm using normal mobile data in order to avoid throttling.

On an unrelated note, I've spent all day today messing around with the soundtrack. I ended up buying Quake from GOG to get the cue files, converting them and de-emphasizing the id1 music so it's not so harsh, only to find out that the cue data seems to be wrong and each track begins partway through the intro and ends with the next songs beginning. And because I wasn't able to figure out how to change it, I converted the whole soundtrack as one long track, imported it into Pro Tools alongside the rerelease's ogg files for reference and chopped it up, matching the ogg version down to the waveforms and testing with polarity reversal. Then while adding metadata I noticed that some of the songs in the rerelease are labeled as different songs, at least according to Spotify. All this was just to learn that the rerelease doesn't like wav files anyway, but the ogg files I made alongside the wavs are still twice the size and don't feel as mushy. Not that you'd ever notice or care while playing, but it was fun to do. The point is that I've been having a lot of fun with this game, and the rerelease is slowly becoming my preferred way to play. The new models look fantastic!

edit: Well, damn I figured out how to edit cuesheets, it was as simple as opening with a text editor. I really went the long way around.

Edited by Lippeth

They changed Nightmare difficulty, no more fast monsters, just your health capping at 50. I think it's because the change was made in order to resolve a debate about wether or not Hard is harder than Nightmare. Anybody else notice?

Edited by FireballCaco

1 hour ago, Azuris said:

Sounds a bit stupid, but i've seen everything in my household :)

Hi Azuris,

Nope, connected through ethernet. It's super weird that Quake Champions for example runs OK and this one does not load online services. Still got no solution for this and I'm waiting now +15 hours for the Bethesda support to give me any response.. :(

PlayerAlreadyLoggedIn.png

Really fantastic work on the port! I just now beat Dimension of the Machine, and I really enjoyed 11 of the 12 levels. "Hell or Dark Water," however, can fuck itself into oblivion. Whoever designed the back half of that level needs to be beaten with a stick of some sort. I see Simpletonium said earlier in the thread that the level was pissing him off, so... all I can say for anyone about to play that level is to swallow your pride and save frequently. 

Sorry, had to vent about that. Otherwise, I have no complaints with this port or DotM. I await to see what else might get added as content!

On 8/23/2021 at 3:36 AM, Jello said:

everything feels like a balloon.

By chance, did you activate view bobbing? Because on my end, I felt everything was kinda off, and I felt like I was just sliding around, until I noticed my weapon wasn't moving when I walked. Went around in the options until I found inside Gameplay Options the view bob thing, and everything feels correct now.

4 hours ago, FireballCaco said:

I'm playing it on the Switch, and it runs fine in handheld mode, but the movement is a little off in TV mode.

Set your TV to game mode. It'll remove basically all of the latency you feel. My Switch dock is connected to a budget gaming monitor (set to lowest possibly latency), and Quake docked feels nice and responsive.

On 8/23/2021 at 10:43 PM, Edward850 said:

There is no software renderer in this release of Quake, so that won't apply here.

Actually, this is relevant, considering I checked immediately after Steam updated, and the NVidia Control Panel on my end had the new executable (inside the rerelease folder) set to "default: integrated graphics", which I obviously changed without a second thought. But then again, I understand he has an AMD GPU.

Anyways..

I just wanted to congratulate the guys at Nightdive, Machinegames and id Software for this amazing remaster. I have a couple minor peeves, like localization. I was kinda hyped to see Spanish in there, and I was curious so I turned it on.. and it's Spain Spanish. It's mostly a peeve I have with most games, and not just this version of Quake in particular. Spain Spanish and Latin American Spanish are not the same. And yes, they're mutually intelligible, and for most use cases is alright and sufficient. Problem is, they're still very different dialects altogether, and it's actually a huge point of contention (and source of memes) in Spanish internet in case you didn't know.

Ignore me, just ranting.

That aside, I've been playing mostly on Switch, because Quake on the go, baby. Although I think I've seen two things that I'm pretty certain are bugs:

1. The D-Pad hotkeys being reversed (in my opinion). Pressing up once selects the normal Shotgun, and pressing twice brings up the Double-Barreled. Same for the rest of the weapons. Why is it like this? It feels like it's reversed, considering you'd normally want to use the Double-Barreled Shotgun and Super Nailgun most of the time in a sudden fight. It's not really that fun to turn around a corner, get jumped by a Fiend, and pull out your lame starting weapon to fire back at it.
  2. Super Health pickups are respawning.. in single player. I don't really mind it, since I'm abusing the hell out of this, but it bothers me, because it's clearly a bug.

That aside, the other issues I have are things people have already mentioned, such as the disappearing cursor in the Load/Save menus, the weapons slowing down after using the weapon wheel, and the music being very quiet. Other than that, it's an extremely solid port, and definitely the rerelease Quake needed.

4 hours ago, MRomo said:

Hi Azuris,

Nope, connected through ethernet. It's super weird that Quake Champions for example runs OK and this one does not load online services. Still got no solution for this and I'm waiting now +15 hours for the Bethesda support to give me any response.. :(

Usually I won't respond directly in cases like this but for this one - we're aware and it's been reported; it's a BNet backend issue - the server  is not reporting the results of the operations properly and is causing a situation where the API simultaneously tells me you have not logged in but are already logged in (the DataNotFound message that appears the first time is what's actually messing everything up). I am HOPING they are going to get a fix in for this very soon.

I have really enjoyed this so, so much. Dimension of the Machine is also jaw-droppingly awesome! Nice blend of Quake & Quake 2. I wish they would do this same remastering for Quake 2, too! 

This video shows very well in detail what's the problem with the analog dead zones and turn acceleration.

These added as options would be so helpful.

I also tried changing the dead zone settings through console on PC.

(in_joystick_laxisdeadzone from 0.24 to 0.1

in_joystick_raxisdeadzone from 0.265 to 0.13)

Already felt so much better!

Still very playable and so much fun even with the default settings. I've played through almost everything already.

Edited by plynthus

Does anyone know if custom hires textures are easily usable?

I'd like to play the remaster with Epsilon's HD map textures, if possible so far

I have to give my highest praise for the new episode (DOTM). It's at least on the same level as Arcane Dimensions. The maps are huge, insanely detailed, utilize the advanced shadow capabilities of the port impressively and even have with nice background stories (in the "Congratulations" screens). For this alone, the entire remaster is already totally worth buying. Thanks a lot for all the effort you guys put into this!

Just downloaded the new version and won't launch in Steam...

"Exception caught in main. See crashlog.txt for more info"

Anyone know how to make this work?

On 8/25/2021 at 4:35 AM, mattjoes said:

Seeing that dead Shambler in the screencap makes me think that, to me, Shamblers don't have white skin or white fur. Since the first time I played Quake, I've always felt they were wearing a white suit, like a nurse's uniform. Not the most likely explanation for sure, but that's what they look like to me!

So shamblers are wearing uniforms? Maybe they wear the bleached out skin of fallen enemies...

On 8/25/2021 at 5:16 AM, Gez said:

Pretty sure you can make yourself console aliases to turn off the HUD, take a screenshot, and turn the HUD back on as a single command. Unless they disabled the console or something.

I haven't been able to find the specific commands for that, besides I was thinking messing with the console might screw up achievements. Not too worried about it tho. ;)

4 hours ago, Kristian Nebula said:

I have really enjoyed this so, so much. Dimension of the Machine is also jaw-droppingly awesome! Nice blend of Quake & Quake 2.

Now I'm psyched to get through the main game and check this new stuff out.

4 hours ago, Kristian Nebula said:

I wish they would do this same remastering for Quake 2, too! 

That would be awesome. Do want.

Actually you can USE CHEATS in the console and not worry about it so as long as you don't do an achievement, it would just be block for that one achievement, I had to use noclip and god mod when playing machines of the past and I quick save instead of load when I fell in lava in that one map with the two vores on a rising and lowering platform that had a lava pit, it also had the last rune I needed iirc. I just turn off the cheats before I did the boss battle and I got the achievement for beating the Episode   

15 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:
On 8/25/2021 at 1:16 AM, Gez said:

I haven't been able to find the specific commands for that, besides I was thinking messing with the console might screw up achievements. Not too worried about it tho. ;)

"cl_hud 0" will make the hud disappear, 3 is the default. "r_drawviewmodel 0" will make the weapon disappear. I don't believe achievements are affected, I've been getting Steam achievements and have been playing in the console more than playing the game.